Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Wildtortilla posted:

The "Mission Assistance" mechanic was just introduced. When would I use this considering the assisting student recieve no XP from battles? Is this used to poach students from other houses by building support in combat?

I would say that's what's primarily useful about it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wildtortilla posted:

The "Mission Assistance" mechanic was just introduced. When would I use this considering the assisting student recieve no XP from battles? Is this used to poach students from other houses by building support in combat?

That or to have an extra body if its early and you haven't recruited anyone yet.

If you"ve unlocked Adjutants you can duct tape them to Byleth for free support points too without even putting them in combat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wildtortilla posted:

I used it to field a full roster on hard because it took me a couple months to recruit someone. I just used it to field a front liner that I knew I wasn't going to try to recruit so I could use them as bait and not care if they bit it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The most annoying thing in the entire game is when you level up a support between two non-Byleth characters and at least one of the people isn't in your house. The support thing just constantly has the little exclamation mark and you can't get rid of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does having an adjutant increase your support with that adjutant? I couldn't tell

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Does having an adjutant increase your support with that adjutant? I couldn't tell

Yes

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Yes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mechanically it works like they're on the same tile as whoever they're paired with and gain support points as normal.

Hell Adjutants gain support points with their non-paired person too

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Zore posted:

The most annoying thing in the entire game is when you level up a support between two non-Byleth characters and at least one of the people isn't in your house. The support thing just constantly has the little exclamation mark and you can't get rid of it.

In the Support menu, hit L or R to scroll across to the 'other' group. It lists all characters not in your house.

You can then watch supports between two people not in your house - I'm BE and saw Leonie and Felix.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kiranamos posted:

Where do you get the vegetable needed for cooking the goddess fish meal?

I finally found it

On Month 3 of the timeskip Gilbert will give you a quest to rout some thieves. Do it and the Dark Merchant will appear in the market. They sell the Magdred Kirsch

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

It’s how my Claude and Ingrid got all the way from “who the gently caress are you” up to A+ support rank in a matter of a month or two post-timeskip

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There is a quick blink and you'll miss it line about why Edie can't just turn on her uncle. Her or Hubert mentions he has been planning this war for a long time and has raised his own private army that competes with the Imperial army in size. Also I forget where but someone mentions there's a chain of events going back nearly a century that plan this whole thing out, so he's not easily disposed of. It is pretty poo poo that you don't get at least a couple of mission killing him though.

Even if Edie's route is missing a lot of CG and rushed in spots, to me at least it feels the most right, so I'm very glad it exists.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

What's weird is that Edelgard's route both doesn't deal with those who slither in the dark directly and ends earlier than the other routes. And given the ending text, it's not like she doesn't care about them--it just happens entirely off screen. Meanwhile the Golden Deer route has time to both fight Edelgard and fight the slitherers in the last few chapters. It's weird that Edelgard's route doesn't have just like three more chapters to do the same.

Going in, I sort of expected that Edelgard's route would be the "main" story but it actually seems like the most incomplete.

My impression is that either they didn't realise that a lot of people would want to side with Edelgard early on and thus did that route later, or it's the opposite and they wanted to make sure "secondary routes" wouldn't be seen as secondary and half assed first, and then ran out of budget.

Eschatos posted:

Were you spending much time doing faculty training? My Byleth has pretty poo poo stats overall.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I put all my skills to E+ that had B rank support, and the ones that had C rank to D~ (except for a couple that were harder like Sword/Authority). It doesn't take that long to get a single skill to E+ though, only 2 training with Great.

... I guess I do savescum training a lot.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think it's nice that the game clearly went through some compromises during development but still came out as good as it did. And as content rich, really.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Menadoensis_/status/1158418079455547398

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What does it mean to prioritize an ability?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
just puts it up top of the list for sorting as far as I can tell.

I guess if an ability ever conflicts for some reason it'd go top down, but I don't think any do.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I don't think it does anything, it just allows you to order them. Newly learned abilities don't replace any on the list if your list is full, they just go into the spare abilities list, so it's not like you're choosing which gets overwritten or anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Mechanically I definitely think the new skill system is the thing I dislike most. So much of it is just slotting in boring passives that replicate math that used to be baked into classes/weapon ranks and they made all the most interesting and fun skills into crests or weapon arts.

It feels like they were trying a 'build your own FE class' system then pulled back until we got the weird compromise that's in the game where anyone can use any weapon! (but using anything but what the class is good at is pointless or detrimental), and the mix of upgraded classes and side-grades at Master tier.

I wish they'd have made the classes more distinct or just actually gone in on letting you build a bespoke Magic/Flier/Heavy Armor character

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm only like one mission into part two for Blue Lions and maybe I just got some crazy RNG blessings, but holy poo poo Dimitri. This is like FE10 Ike levels of "the optimal strategy is to only field the lord and let him solo the map." It's actually kind of cool how for once when a character is hyped up in cutscenes as an unstoppable killing machine, they are in fact an unstoppable killing machine in gameplay as well. Byleth is a higher level and I'm pretty sure Dimitri still smokes him.

Without spoilers, how many Part 2 chapters are there for Blue Lions? Want to make sure I have the time to get all the supports I want.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's too spoilery of me to say that I'm starting to get all of Lorenz's A-ranks and more than one of them kinda feel...romantic? Is he unique in playing the field or have they done the thing where everyone with a high bond and opposite gender are presumed to be attracted to one another? If you S-rank with a character would that change the supports with Lorenz at all? For example it is heavily implied he and Hilda have marriage on the mind in their A-rank. Kind of awkward if she and Sensei paired up already :/

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
A lot of the A rank supports overall can be read romantically

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I don't think it's too spoilery of me to say that I'm starting to get all of Lorenz's A-ranks and more than one of them kinda feel...romantic? Is he unique in playing the field or have they done the thing where everyone with a high bond and opposite gender are presumed to be attracted to one another? If you S-rank with a character would that change the supports with Lorenz at all? For example it is heavily implied he and Hilda have marriage on the mind in their A-rank. Kind of awkward if she and Sensei paired up already :/

There is one character who proclaims their love in one A-rank only to consider marriage to a third character in a different A-rank.

(That said character ended up alone at the end was true comedy.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Deified Data posted:

It's not just him. Even Hubert has an A-rank where he more or less straight up accepts a marriage proposal from a certain girl who is not Edelgard. That said, not all A-ranks are romantic. Some are clearly more "platonic but nevertheless very close friends", both male/female and not.

Whoever you pick to S-rank will be your S-rank and they won't go off with someone else, no. But their A-ranks stay the same. You only get to make your choice right at the very end.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

No almost all the A supports between opposite sex (and some same sex) couples are pretty heavily romantic and don't change based on Byleth's supports.

I know Ferdinand basically proposes to Bernadetta, Dorothea and Edelgard in all their A supports for instance. They basically did GBA style supports without limiting the number of ranks you can get so A ranks almost all lead to a paired ending.

The game chooses the paired ending by total number of support points. You can see the top 3 for any given character on their status screen which should let you know how the endings will shake out.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 5, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's just good sense to have a back up if your planned wife/husband suddenly died because the professor wasn't paying attention.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
lol the whole school is a giant polyamorous commune

Not that there's anything wrong with that but the fanfic bait, oh the fanfic bait

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd prefer them keeping s ranks for non protags and writing them as can be read romantically or platonically and save the outright proposals for the s rank. Kinda funny to get someone three A ranks in a row and watch them flail around like that though

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was very skeptical and put off by Sothis when starting Three Houses just because it was yet another "yes, she looks like a child but she's actually 1000 years old" and I'm only on Chapter 8 (I think?) - about investigating Remire Village, but Sothis is great and I will be very upset if any harm comes to her.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Super No Vacancy posted:

annette best dancer unit

FTFY

"I'm your girl!"

Yeah you are Annette :3:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I was very skeptical and put off by Sothis when starting Three Houses just because it was yet another "yes, she looks like a child but she's actually 1000 years old" and I'm only on Chapter 8 (I think?) - about investigating Remire Village, but Sothis is great and I will be very upset if any harm comes to her.

Yeah she rules

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

This is the best game I have played in a very very long time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm the month equivalent to December and choosing which character to make a dancer. After I made my choice, the quest thing changed and told me to talk to Rhea but I went over there and her dialogue was normal and now the quest just tells me to choose a student. When I talk to my choice, they just have their dialogue from after I chose them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

I'm the month equivalent to December and choosing which character to make a dancer. After I made my choice, the quest thing changed and told me to talk to Rhea but I went over there and her dialogue was normal and now the quest just tells me to choose a student. When I talk to my choice, they just have their dialogue from after I chose them

The quest wraps itself up after the dance-off.

Did you give them extra practice?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

so long as you've selected them you're fine. It's just weird, the notice stays there until the dance competition happens. You'll get the quest completion then.
Guessing an oversight in not having a notice like "Try to win the dance compeition!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah she rules

Yeah, like I don't want to bone her and anyone who romances Sothis is 100% pedo, but I like to think of her as my partner in a buddy film.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

OddObserver posted:

The quest wraps itself up after the dance-off.

Did you give them extra practice?

rannum posted:

so long as you've selected them you're fine. It's just weird, the notice stays there until the dance competition happens. You'll get the quest completion then.
Guessing an oversight in not having a notice like "Try to win the dance compeition!"

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Thanks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I won the dancing contest with Petra, who I had recently poached. I didn't realize though that it was going to unlock your only chance of getting a dancer, and only for the character who wins. Petra is my assassin dammit. :argh:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dorothea and Ingrid's paralogue makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Did Edelgard seriously (bleagles E path early spoilers) stay up the entire night trying to come up with the name 'Black Eagles Strike Force' lmfao