Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tremek posted:

Life is weird. Still miss the newfie, but my wife stumbled into what seems like a good thing, and I didn't say no, so:

5 month old French bulldog with papers. Lady who had him couldn't keep him due to surgery. He's pretty adorbs. When we first got married my wife and I had both an American bulldog and an English bulldog, so I guess we have something of an affinity for the bully breeds.

That's a good boy right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

T-Square posted:

I'm hopeful.

Goonspeed. It is good that she has you by her side to support and help.

:3: Frenchies are such great dogs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A Small Car posted:

I'm catching up on the thread, so not sure if this has been addressed or not, but at least in terms of El Paso itself, it's been a lot more than thoughts and prayers. We had to turn people away yesterday because so many people showed up to give blood (and I mean turn away by the hundreds, maybe even thousands) and none of the funeral homes in the city are charging anything for the victims. The shithead politicians may not do anything, but our city pulled together in a major way and I'm proud to live here (for more reasons than just this).

Sup fellow El Pasoan? Everything I've heard about how the city has pulled together has made me really proud of my hometown.

Too bad I'm 9 hours away now. Send Chico's, thx in advance

Creepily enough... the shooter lives <15 minutes from my mother, and when I lived in DFW, I worked about half a mile away at one point. I grew up fairly close to Cielo Vista as well. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 5, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't know if you guys are watching Bad Obsession's transporter project, but part 3 dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSP6l8JIIB8

Some precision prybar work at about 25:30.

I love their conversion of the engine weight for us SAE primitives that's accurate, but still largely nonsensical without additional conversion.
It's incredible how much better in pretty much every respect a "modern-ish" engine is over the old one. I mean, it's a 4- banger that's 50% more powerful than the original. Turbo helps with that, of course, but even so, the 3.9 would probably still be better. Same could be said form most engines, I guess - OG SBC versus LSx, etc.

Tremek posted:

Confirmed, the gas the dealer dumped into mine for the first tank was almost assuredly 85 (our regular here in CO) and now on the 3rd tank of 91 (our premium, welp) plus now on a modest tune, I can finally rotate the BFGs from a stop on dry pavement with traction control off in Sport mode.

Probably going to try an E50 tune next once this one is dialed in, but with all that said, I bet many idiots are currently in the process of ruining their Raptors and Limiteds with poo poo gas.

The cabin of my truck is far too insulated to transmit pinging to the driver, plus Ford lies to you and pumps fake engine noise through the speakers because they池e evil.

Meanwhile, I'm putting Premium (93, here in TX!) in our $600 Subaru, because it says so in the manual (3.0 H6). At some point I'll switch to Regular for a couple tanks just to see how it runs, I guess.

MC Hawking posted:

Go donate blood but don't do it because a bunch of people got shot up. Donate regularly so you can grapple with your own demons and get free fig newtons.

I used to donate whenever they'd let me (every 2 weeks? for the platelets they want from my blood type), but then I got the beetus and high blood pressure, and they don't want me anymore, which makes me sad. I miss my gallon pins.

T-Square posted:

Well, we finally got to meet with my girlfriend's Oncologist on Friday afternoon for the first time. He only had liver biopsy results to go off of, he originally ordered a PET/CT scan to be done before we met with him so we could have as much information as possible, but her insurance pretty much said "nO wHaT iF iT iSnT cAnCeR" and we had to wait until the biopsy came back

Jesus Christ insurance is the worst. That is not poo poo you should be having to worry about at a time like this.
Goonspeed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Annnnd 59 people shot in Chicago over the weekend. 7 died. Multiple events in the case of Chicago, but holy poo poo. Chicago, Dayton, El Paso, Gilroy all in the past week.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
For whatever reason, the heat brings out the guns in Chicago. I know that Chicago is slowly dying on the vine, but holy poo poo, it's feeling like it's accelerating after this last round of tax assessments squeezing harder on the poorer neighborhoods

T-Square posted:

Well, we finally got to meet with my girlfriend's Oncologist on Friday afternoon for the first time. He only had liver biopsy results to go off of, he originally ordered a PET/CT scan to be done before we met with him so we could have as much information as possible, but her insurance pretty much said "nO wHaT iF iT iSnT cAnCeR" and we had to wait until the biopsy came back, which took like four days and pretty much got to the Oncologist right before we met with him.

But the biopsy tells us that it is breast cancer. She just turned 30 on Saturday so she hadn't done mammograms at all because she isn't in the "at risk" age group. The Oncologist is great, his nursing team are great, and we have a "nurse navigator" who is helping us schedule appointments, lurking in the background to make sure people are doing their jobs to contact us for appointments, etc, and she's really great as well. They are still doing further examinations and testing on her biopsy samples, and we have to get a mammogram and PET/CT (gently caress you, insurance) scan done still. Once those are all done, the Oncologist can narrow down our treatment plans and we will move forward.

I'm hopeful.

And so very very anxious and dreading the future.

At least you know where the cancer came from now, and can actually move forward with more direct treatment instead of shots in the dark. Good luck, we're here if you need us

On a less down note, I have a random question. Does anyone remember which episode, or even which build, from the Skid Factory that Al goes on a long rant about coolant emptying, flushing, and filling? I want to send it to someone whose heat sucks in winter and engine temp runs dangerously high in summer traffic

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tremek posted:

Life is weird. Still miss the newfie, but my wife stumbled into what seems like a good thing, and I didn't say no, so:

5 month old French bulldog with papers. Lady who had him couldn't keep him due to surgery. He's pretty adorbs. When we first got married my wife and I had both an American bulldog and an English bulldog, so I guess we have something of an affinity for the bully breeds.

I love frenchies. They're so full of personality!

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

STR posted:

Sup fellow El Pasoan? Everything I've heard about how the city has pulled together has made me really proud of my hometown.

Too bad I'm 9 hours away now. Send Chico's, thx in advance

Creepily enough... the shooter lives <15 minutes from my mother, and when I lived in DFW, I worked about half a mile away at one point. I grew up fairly close to Cielo Vista as well. :smith:

Yo! Been here almost my whole life (born in Maine, how's that for a change from one extreme to another?). One of my sister's best friend's sisters is apparently engaged to the shooters brother, that's got to be hard.

As for Chico's, are you a sauce drinker, or do you leave what's left?

MC Hawking, I understand your viewpoint, it's hard not to go there myself. For now, I'm choosing to believe our city is different. And no worries, I took the "you" as intended

And to contribute something happy to the thread, I finally cleaned my (main) tuba and the valves don't stick anymore! Not much in the grand scheme of everything, but I've been putting it off for over a year, so nice to actually make progress on something. Now to address the other 5....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

As for Chico's, are you a sauce drinker, or do you leave what's left?

Depends how many bits are left in it. But it's half green sauce before I even start eating it anyway, I need a little fire. Ironically, it was my stepdad (who's from a tiny town in east TX) who introduced me to Chico's when I was probably 8 or so (he'd been in El Paso probably 5 or 6 years by then) - my dad hates it, mom used to be meh on it.

I was born and raised in EP; Army took dad out there, railroad took mom's parents out there (her dad worked for the railroad way back in the day). And yet my Spanish is impressively bad, even by gringo standards. :saddowns:

My GF is also from El Paso, born in Mexico (so full Mexican by birth and DNA, but has been in the US since she was a week old), and my Spanish is better than hers. :wtc: She was adopted by a language professor at UTEP... her (adopted) mom speaks 4 languages fluently. Anytime we're back home I make it a point to trigger her mom on her daughter's lack of language skills, it always gets a hilarious rant :haw:

How the gently caress did that fuckstain not only find a GF, but get engaged? He... doesn't look like much, and doesn't seem terribly intelligent if that manifesto was really his. (I mean i'm not great to look at either, but I'd like to think I'm slightly above average intelligence...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 5, 2019

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I was introduced by my friend's dad, who's just about the whitest guy you've ever seen (until you see me, I practically fluoresce). I'm the only person in my family who likes Chico's.

Army is what brought my family out here too, more specifically a transfer from the Air Force into the Army. I'm 30 now, been here since I was 7 and all I know how to do is swear in Spanish. I'm amazed your gf doesn't speak Spanish, that's hilarious. Does she speak any other languages?

Well, to be fair it's the fuckstain's brother that got engaged, not actually said fuckstain. Univision seems to have found the worst picture possible for his mugshot, and I find a perverse pleasure in that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Small Car posted:

And to contribute something happy to the thread, I finally cleaned my (main) tuba and the valves don't stick anymore! Not much in the grand scheme of everything, but I've been putting it off for over a year, so nice to actually make progress on something. Now to address the other 5....

Are you a band director?

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Nope! Thought about doing that for a while, but decided against it in the end. I play in a quintet and the local wind symphony (and anywhere else that happens to want me), just happen to have an army of horns. I can't resist old stuff, so I've picked up quite a few horns over the years, and I like to tinker, so I've got a bunch of parts junk too. In case it's of interest to anyone, I have (in no particular order):

1926 Conn Monster Eb
1926 Conn Monster Eb
1927 Conn Monster Eb (one of these Monster Eb's came from Australia, but I don't remember which one)
1908 B&H Cavalry Eb
1969 Conn 25J
1898 York Baritone
1924 King F (began as an Eb)
~2005 Besson CC (my main horn and my baby)
a shitload of scrap horns for parts

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A Small Car posted:

a shitload of scrap horns for parts

Okay we're going to need to see your frankenhorn project. Best start it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

here since I was 7 and all I know how to do is swear in Spanish. I'm amazed your gf doesn't speak Spanish, that's hilarious. Does she speak any other languages?

Nope, just English, with the most midwestern American accent in the world (probably because her mom grew up in Kansas). She never took any interest in any languages as a kid or teen, despite El Paso, at the time, being about 50/50 split between English and Spanish speaking (I suspect Spanish is more common now that the Hispanic population is roughly ~80%). She knows how to pronounce words in French, as in she can see one and know how it's supposed to be pronounced - but doesn't actually know any French. :haw:

I can cuss out most of your family in Spanish, and I can order food at taco trucks. That's it.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I need to just start a thread for all my random junk! Maybe then I'd finish more of it...

A bit of a teaser for how it currently sits:

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

STR posted:

I can cuss out most of your family in Spanish, and I can order food at taco trucks. That's it.

Do you really need to know anything else? :D

I'd say English is still the predominant language here overall, but that flips pretty fast depending on where in the city you are. UTEP has definitely moved toward Spanish being the main language among students outside of class, at least in my experience.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

A Small Car posted:

I need to just start a thread for all my random junk! Maybe then I'd finish more of it...

A bit of a teaser for how it currently sits:

I'm the structural drumstick.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Trying to find a music video. I think it was an Irish band but the video is a pov drunk walk home I remember him pissing all over a toilet at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g3RuoreRc

:v:?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I'm the structural drumstick.

Load-bearing pipes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay we're going to need to see your frankenhorn project. Best start it.

Two horns enter, one horn leaves

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Getting teary reading The Onion. Seriously, how can you read something like this and not be struck by the perversion which we are now living in?

https://www.theonion.com/thomas-jefferson-the-tree-of-liberty-must-be-refreshe-1836974855

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Meanwhile, I'm putting Premium (93, here in TX!) in our $600 Subaru, because it says so in the manual (3.0 H6). At some point I'll switch to Regular for a couple tanks just to see how it runs, I guess.

Not a good idea. The 3.0 H6 is a fairly finnicky motor that is high static compression and it does not like lower octane fuel.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

Rolling the dice.

I hate Walmart but they had the tires for my car @ $160/tire, pick-up only, instead of $250-$300/tire everyone else was selling them for.

They deliver to the local store next week. I'm thinking worst case, they cancel the order because their price was wrong? Or they show up damaged, or the wrong tires?

Am I missing a downside here? Also is there anything visual I should look out for before I take them, outside of obvious damage?

Edit - Hi Dad! :wave:

Tires came in, they were exactly the same Pirelli SKU as Tire Rack and Discount, just $160 instead of $250. And Wal-Mart was insane with back-to-school shoppers.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Do any of you guys or gals have input on a good indoor TV antenna in the ~$50 range? I just started researching this stuff today hah, so I'm learning. It looks like nearly all of the channels in the area are UHF. This is for a friend who doesn't watch a whole lot of TV, but would like to be able to see the major networks etc. If I'm reading the map correctly, the channels she most cares about are coming from the SE which is good because she has a couple windows facing that direction for mounting.

Was considering between these two from my limited research:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZD5MUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSMK580/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

*sits back, waits for extremely detailed STR response down to material composition*

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The Door Frame posted:

On a less down note, I have a random question. Does anyone remember which episode, or even which build, from the Skid Factory that Al goes on a long rant about coolant emptying, flushing, and filling? I want to send it to someone whose heat sucks in winter and engine temp runs dangerously high in summer traffic

Its from the VL turbo build series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPyVOiMKQo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

loving gently caress. I just got you back, you piece of poo poo!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
One time I imported a 1990 Toyota LiteAce van, GXL 4WD with a 5 speed manual transmission from Japan. Being as we were the original importers you sometimes get an idea of who or what the history of the vehicle was. This time we did not, it was just clean and well-maintained. Chassis ID YM40-0012406. I keep detailed records, you see.

Sold it to a guy on the other side of the state who then sold it to someone else. The original person I sold it to I'm buddies with and we talk regularly. Today my sold-to buddy sends me this going "lol":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Toyot...UwAAOSwxSxdP1PA

eBay Ad posted:

1990 Toyota Van "Lite Ace"
Japanese Import VIN # is YM400012406
A flash to the past and all original for sale is a very nice 1990 Toyota Van Camper Lite Ace featuring the original 4 cylinder Toyota 3YU 4 cylinder engine with low 117,380 original miles. The combination of 5 speed manual tranny and low/high 4WD option makes this a great on and off-road machine. Definitely one of the highlights of this machine is the "SkyLite Roof". Original Toyota factory paint which still holds a strong shine! Recent oil/filter change and uses full synthetic oil. This van does not burn oil and it doesn't have any leaks. 27 x 8.50 x R14LT General Grabber tires A/T x 4 all with less than 2K miles on them.

Always adult owned and near professionally maintained since it was previously owned by a Toyota mechanic overseas in Japan. She purrs like a kitten at start up and shifts effortlessly through all gears including reverse. 4WD has manual front locking hubs that work/slide in and out perfectly! All the electrics work perfectly and the original radio/cassette player still plays great! Front and rear AC-Heat work great! All glass is in mint condition with no cracks or blemishes. Interior is in immaculate condition and exterior is very clean-original, no body rust and always kept in a climate controlled garage. Rear bench seat swivel 90 and 180 degrees so you can configure to your needs. Jump seats in the very back drop down and as well as the side jump seat near the cargo door. All interior lights work great! FYI, I just had the van detailed so I took off the windshield wipers and rear back up mirror but I do have to offer. One of the coolest interior configurations I've ever seen for a Toyota Van. Clean clear NC title in hand and ready to be transferred.

Note: Please no international bidding. US funds only, cash, bank wire transfer, or certified cashiers check. Like any vintage vehicle, this will be sold as is, no warranty expressed or implied. Bid with confidence, this is a really nice machine and I would very much like to find it a good home! Thank you for your interest and happy bidding!
On Aug-01-19 at 16:27:04 PDT, seller added the following information:
For more info or questions feel free to call/text Mike 910 547 5910

"Always adult owned and near professionally maintained since it was previously owned by a Toyota mechanic overseas in Japan."
:thunk:

Gosh I don't remember that part of this van's history at all, and I was the importer. So I contact the guy:

:argh:

Mike is a straight-up liar.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Jesus Christ insurance is the worst. That is not poo poo you should be having to worry about at a time like this.
Goonspeed.

This is why any candidate that wants to "expand coverage" or expand "access" to healthcare should be shot into the sun.

Sorry you're having to go through all this T-Square, hope all goes well with you girlfriend.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Haha what a fuckin dipshit, is he a used car salesman or something? (No offense, I mean that kind of used car salesman)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Haha what a fuckin dipshit, is he a used car salesman or something? (No offense, I mean that kind of used car salesman)

The auction shows it has 2 bids, both accounts with 1 single bid (the LiteAce) and no feedback so probably fake. Seems like just a typical salesman-type burning goodwill he doesn't have to make a buck. It's the transparency of the lies that bother me, go with old lady in Tokyo or some poo poo instead not a Toyota mechanic like why the gently caress.

The import scene in the USA is still super small compared to used cars in general. It's very easy to track this sort of stuff which makes it all the more lol. Especially trying to rig up a reputation on eBay of all places.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am almost certain that account kept sending me stupid low ball offers on my Delica saying he wanted a surf van. In fact I know it. Like $3k offers and wouldn稚 leave me alone.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

That sucks. I saw a newish Aston on a flat bed the other day. I figured it was rich dude getting it back from being serviced (common around here)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Yessss haha thank u

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KillHour posted:

Looks like it's just been shut off??

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Off to a festival tomorrow so did a safety check of the car, a front wheel is out of alignment and has ruined yet another tyre.
gently caress the roads around here the local council must be sponsored by Kwik Fit. Google happily reminded me as I was googling the local tyre place that I visited it one year ago. (I had the same issue on a different wheel before heading off last year)

I should just invest in my own alignment machine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Looks like it's just been shut off??

That came on when I was driving and wouldn't go off. It went away when I left it off for 10 minutes. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

That came on when I was driving and wouldn't go off. It went away when I left it off for 10 minutes. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

This gave me a chuckle.

PS I'm jelly of your undoubtedly beautiful car, post an exterior pic plz.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KillHour posted:

I had this issue with my E90, the passenger seat occupancy sensor would fail, and shut off the airbag. It was periodic until it just failed entirely. Fixing it was kind of annoying, since you have to remove the seat cover, swap the sensor, and recover the seat, and gently caress hog rings, those bastards are sharp. And you have to reprogram it. There was a fairly large BMW recall in the late 2000s for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If it fails, it better do it before my warranty is up.