Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like to eat the rich in City of Tears, usually. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I like to eat the rich in City of Tears, usually. :911:

That's not very american of you at all.

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
Really enjoying how the game opens up after getting the first few movement abilities. I've just beaten the second Hornet fight and got the King's Brand. I think I'm about to fight my first Dreamer boss in the City of Tears. Anything I should get before? I've gotten the second nail upgrade and 2 spell upgrades.

Here are my thoughts on the bosses I've beaten since Mantis Lords.

Crystal Guardian - took me a few tries, the boss run was fairly annoying and probably worse than it.

Dung Defender - this guy fucks.

Nosk - more annoying than tough, especially with the safe spots in the arena. Not a fan of bosses with apparently random projectile spam.

Wizard with Sword Refight - not that hard, even with the adds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The only real objections I have to bosses in this game are a.) nosk is just plain bad and b.) traitor lord should not deal double damage. I'm totally satisfied with all the others even if I enjoy some more than others.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’d be okay with Traitor Lord having double damage if they also made Cloth actually effective during the fight. She misses so often that it can frustrate the player and make the finale less impactful, which is a shame.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Peanut! posted:

Wizard with Sword Refight - not that hard, even with the adds.

For some reason I can't figure out who this is referring to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, some people manage to miss Cloth entirely, so it's a very nasty solo fight.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

Celeste is legitimately great. Definitely give it another shot.

Oh absolutely I'm planning to. As soon as I started playing it I was about 6 or 7 rooms in but struggling with the controls cos I was still trying to play hollow knight (I'd literally stopped playing it the day before). I only put it down for a rain check to let my HK muscle memory atrophy.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I dunno, I don't think the boss being discussed is that overtuned. The Traitor Lord is an endgame boss, right? It took me a few tries to take him down, but I don't think he's any worse than bosses like Lost Kin, Failed Champion, regular Grimm or Hornet 2, and he's certainly much easier than NKG or the Radiance. The Queen's Gardens is one of the last areas players will see, and the Traitor Lord is one of the few bosses you need the Shade Cloak to see, so it fits with expectations for him to be tough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

dream bosses are all skippable and dont have a platforming section beforehand. Using dream gates does not occur to most players. I don't see him as a necessary skill check (and for quite a while before he was buffed he was not).

I still have no idea who he is or why he matters enough to be that hard, dream bosses all have appropriate buildup to be hard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I took it from context clues that Traitor King would be formidable because he had to be badass enough to kill the queen.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That boss is pretty tough but I think appropriately so, like you said you have to go through a lot of stuff to be able to fight it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bust Rodd posted:

I took it from context clues that Traitor King would be formidable because he had to be badass enough to kill the queen.

He didn't tho

Honestly I have no idea what happened there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The queen is alive and well.

The Traitors' treason was to willfully let the infection into themselves as it made them stronger.

I think, Hollow Knight lore being what it is and all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

For some reason I can't figure out who this is referring to.

Soul Warrior I think

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I thought the Traitor Lord was a traitor to the mantises, not the Queen.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
After 3 playthroughs of this game I had no idea it was possible to have Cloth assist you in the traitor lord fight.

Makes me think about what else I may have missed...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I thought the Traitor Lord was a traitor to the mantises, not the Queen.

He was, though his crime was against both - willingly embracing the infection.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey neat something I missed the first time I watched that Speedrun is that Team Cherry donated 10 grand to the charity during it. That’s pretty big for such a small team.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Another good combat side scroller (that is a roguelike) is Dead Cells! You should totally play that.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey neat something I missed the first time I watched that Speedrun is that Team Cherry donated 10 grand to the charity during it. That’s pretty big for such a small team.
It also works the other way. They've sold almost three million copies. Each member of the main team must have at least a million dollars now, probably significantly more.

Which is not to say it isn't well-deserved, or that a $10,000 charitable donation is nothing, but they're no longer a ragtag kickstarter project.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

dream bosses are all skippable and dont have a platforming section beforehand. Using dream gates does not occur to most players. I don't see him as a necessary skill check (and for quite a while before he was buffed he was not).

I still have no idea who he is or why he matters enough to be that hard, dream bosses all have appropriate buildup to be hard.

He’s the boss standing between you and half the kings soul, he’s effectively the combat counterpart to the White Palace’s platforming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Darox posted:

He’s the boss standing between you and half the kings soul, he’s effectively the combat counterpart to the White Palace’s platforming.
Exactly, he should be just as easy.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Fano posted:

After 3 playthroughs of this game I had no idea it was possible to have Cloth assist you in the traitor lord fight.

Makes me think about what else I may have missed...

To have this happen, meet her in Ancient Basin after the initial encounter in Fungal Wastes. You can also find her in Deepnest between these points, but getting that one isn't necessary for getting her in the fight.

Spoilers for Traitor Lord: what really sucks is how easy it is to miss Cloth's sacrifice by running over to the other side if the arena to heal.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Soul Warrior I think

That's what I thought too but I don't think Soul Tyrant has any adds or summons? That threw me off. Maybe he summons some follies / mistakes and I just don't remember.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Soul Warrior, not Soul Master. the guy with the sword. edit: nail. it’s not a dream refight, there’s just a couple of them.

big deal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 6, 2019

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ahh okay, I looked him up and now I finally get it. Just didn't think of him as a boss.

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I got the first/bad ending! Somewhat disappointed at the lack of a boss in the Beast's Den, but the last bit of the game kept up the quality (other than the boring Fog Valley). Deepnest was surprisingly fun, though I managed to skip most of it by finding a backdoor through the Queen's Gardens.

Watcher Knights were a fun challenge, especially when I discovered the ultimate power of Descending Dark + Soul Twister.

The Hollow Knight itself was great. Not too difficult as I was zipping all over the place with the Shade Cloak and double jump, but his pillar attack got me a few times. I was joking about Bug Artorias earlier but in retrospect I should've seen it coming. Actually felt bad for the poor fellow when it started stabbing itself.

Any non-spoilery tips on how to get to the DLC/other endings?

Peanut! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 7, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Peanut! posted:

Go places you haven't been and poke around. Are there any doors you haven't opened?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peanut! posted:

Bust some Ghosts

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Rummage around in, in no particular order, howling cliffs, queens gardens, the sewers, ancient basin, the abyss

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

HOW MANY ROOMS IS THIS PATH

My poor left thumb...

So I'm in the Path of Pain. I'm pausing and taking a break right now, but I've gotten to a very long horizontal hallway, the floor and ceiling being thorns. I superdash over some spears at the beginning, do some relatively minor platforming on some hovering thorny platforms, then I have to use some spears to get to some buzz saws to pogo further on. There's a spot where the ceiling thorns dip low enough that there's only enough room for one of the buzz saws to get through, and that's as far as I've gotten. How close am I to the end? :v:

Telum fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 10, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

My poor left thumb...

So I'm in the Path of Pain. I'm pausing and taking a break right now, but I've gotten to a very long horizontal hallway, the floor and ceiling being thorns. I superdash over some spears at the beginning, do some relatively minor platforming on some flavoring thorny platforms, then I have to use some spears to get to some buzz saws to pogo further on. There's a spot where the ceiling thorns dip low enough that there's only enough room for one of the buzz saws to get through, and that's as far as I've gotten. How close am I to the end? :v:

I'm going to suggest you look up a youtube of path of pain instead of trying to decode your description.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zack Ater posted:

My poor left thumb...

So I'm in the Path of Pain. I'm pausing and taking a break right now, but I've gotten to a very long horizontal hallway, the floor and ceiling being thorns. I superdash over some spears at the beginning, do some relatively minor platforming on some flavoring thorny platforms, then I have to use some spears to get to some buzz saws to pogo further on. There's a spot where the ceiling thorns dip low enough that there's only enough room for one of the buzz saws to get through, and that's as far as I've gotten. How close am I to the end? :v:

That’s literally the last platforming challenge. There’s a combat afterwards so stay healed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally got my Wanderer's Journal from Fangamer! It looks slick, haven't opened it up yet but I'm really looking forward to all the art contained within. Even came with a nice little Kingsoul sticker I can put somewhere in my life.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm going to suggest you look up a youtube of path of pain instead of trying to decode your description.

Sorry :( I'm not sure how hovering got autocorrected to flavoring lol

Pigbuster posted:

That’s literally the last platforming challenge. There’s a combat afterwards so stay healed.

Thanks!

@_@

Alxprit posted:

I finally got my Wanderer's Journal from Fangamer! It looks slick, haven't opened it up yet but I'm really looking forward to all the art contained within. Even came with a nice little Kingsoul sticker I can put somewhere in my life.

I've been really tempted to get this and/or the physical special edition.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You know that area is optional, right?

E: seems like you do. That whole area almost ruined the game for me because I SUCK at stuff like that. I wouldn’t wish more of it on anyone else.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 10, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I actually really like platforming challenges in general, and honestly even this area was kinda fun until this last stretch :v:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I really like platforming but I've said it before and I'll say it again - what made the Path of Pain more frustrating than it needed to be was the negative edge aspect, i.e having to have precision in when you let go of the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zack Ater posted:

I've been really tempted to get this and/or the physical special edition.

I got both and they just came in the mail last week and are amazing :)