Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

singapore's annual budget is roughly the size of the nyc city government, but they implement stuff and nyc ... doesn't.

nyc has the problem that much of the city's tax revenue goes to the state and federal government and has only what authority is delegated by those two entities. in perticular a massive amount of the corruption comes from the state government, and the Port Authority (which is outside the control of NYC). NYC does not even control its own subways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

evilweasel posted:

nyc has the problem that much of the city's tax revenue goes to the state and federal government and has only what authority is delegated by those two entities. in perticular a massive amount of the corruption comes from the state government, and the Port Authority (which is outside the control of NYC). NYC does not even control its own subways.

nyc gave up its subways in exchange for a bailout

nyc's city budget alone is the size of singapore's

there's a lack of political will, bureaucratic capability, rule of law, you name it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

this is not a new phenomenon:

(this is the london transport network in 1934 - the boroughs of westminster and kensington and chelsea managed to use planning powers to stop tramways being laid for years and this was one of the factors that led to the death of london's tram network, even today there's some suspicious gaps in bus stops (which are normally very close together in the centre of town) around kensington and mayfair presumably because some influence has been used to stop the hoi polloi having a reason to hang around certain addresses)

iirc in addition to having some flagrantly dangerous road crossings that they do nothing about because only plebs walk, Kensington and Chelsea Council also managed to object to getting a new station on the overground opened because they literally didn't want poor people to be able to get there more easily

this is the same area that objected to getting fibre broadband because the cabinets were green and "would clash with the surroundings"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sooooo yeah same budget for 2 cities, where one of the cities has 3 million less people, is a pretty big deal?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

iirc in addition to having some flagrantly dangerous road crossings that they do nothing about because only plebs walk, Kensington and Chelsea Council also managed to object to getting a new station on the overground opened because they literally didn't want poor people to be able to get there more easily
see also: the dc metro not having any stops in georgetown, or the total lack of mass transit connecting marin to the rest of the bay area

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nyc gave up its subways in exchange for a bailout

nyc's city budget alone is the size of singapore's

there's a lack of political will, bureaucratic capability, rule of law, you name it

again, nyc's tax base is the leftover taxes they can impose after the feds and NYS have taken their cut, and nyc is mostly funding albany anyway.

i would be in support of severing nyc into its own state but that would allow the red-state rednecks upstate to stop getting their terrible republican opinions massively outweighed by the city

and again the Port Authority is a massive problem given that it has control over shockingly large portions of the city and is the personal corruption fiefdom of the state governor

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 5, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

evilweasel posted:

again, nyc's tax base is the leftover taxes they can impose after the feds and NYS have taken their cut, and nyc is mostly funding albany anyway.

i would be in support of severing nyc into its own state but that would allow the red-state rednecks upstate to stop getting their terrible republican opinions massively outweighed by the city

and again the Port Authority is a massive problem given that it has control over shockingly large portions of the city and is the personal corruption fiefdom of the state governor

hey now, the port authority is also a personal corruption fiefdom of the new jersey governor and the mta is also partially a corruption fiefdom for Connecticut (and the mta relies on NJ for operating west of hudson services so NJ gets a cut there too)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1158117780417388544

quote:

While working at Airbnb, Laura Modi noticed a strange trend among Bay Area mothers.

Many new parents were circumventing U.S. regulators by importing their formulas from Europe.

In Europe, there are different rules around the ingredients that brands are allowed to use in formulas, and some parents believe that European formulas are healthier.

So Modi set about forming a start-up that would essentially recreate European formulas for the U.S. market. She started a new venture, called Bobbie Baby, alongside her former Airbnb colleague Sarah Hardy, and the pair raised $2.5 million in venture capital funding.

But after less than 10 days on the market, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning in June to consumers to stop using Bobbie’s infant formula. Among its various complaints, the U.S. FDA told parents that the formula was manufactured in Germany and imported to the United States, and that there weren’t sufficient nutrients for some infants, especially those born premature or with a low birth weight.

“We were very surprised,” said Modi.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fishmech posted:

hey now, the port authority is also a personal corruption fiefdom of the new jersey governor and the mta is also partially a corruption fiefdom for Connecticut (and the mta relies on NJ for operating west of hudson services so NJ gets a cut there too)

thats true, we lost those tunnels under the hudson we badly needed so chris cristie could look like a big man

odd he thought he needed the help

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

and some parents believe that European formulas are healthier

and some parents believe feeding their kids bleach cures autism, that's why i started bleachr.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol how do these people make it so far

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fart simpson posted:

by having money and, i assume, being white (revelatory, i know)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

thats true, we lost those tunnels under the hudson we badly needed so chris cristie could look like a big man

odd he thought he needed the help

at this point I’m just hoping he’s still around to blame when one local disaster shuts down all rail traffic on the eastern seaboard

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao its soylent for babies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

and some parents believe feeding their kids bleach cures autism, that's why i started bleachr.

I mean, as far as baseless bullshit goes, "Europe has a more trustworthy and rigorous regulatory system than the US that results in safer products" isn't really that unreasonable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

i love that they all seem to believe that their business model of intentionally circumventing regulations is somehow revolutionary, as opposed to literally the thing the law was created to address.

the thing you're doing is illegal for a reason, it's not because the law is too slow to keep up

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the impression i got w/r/t formula is that it is exceedingly difficult to do the sort of large scale controlled trials that you really would need to get that sort of comparative data because, among other things, that no mother is going to let you experiment on their kid if they've got a choice in the matter

so most of those studies that show that breast milk is astoundingly better for babies than formula have a counfounding issue: they are done in very poor countries where water quality, well, leaves something to be desired. so formula is virtually by definition much riskier because the water in breast milk is filtered through the mother while its not in formula (there's thought to be significant reasons why breast milk is still better but those are harder to test in the sort of well-off families where you don't have confounding environmental effects like that, things like transmitting antibodies even if you nail the nutrients exactly)

things like that happen in medicine a lot more than you'd think, where we absolutely know the test we need to run but there's not a good ethical and/or practical way to do it

so to make a long story short: i can absolutely believe there's a legitimate, unresolved debate over if Europe or America's idea of proper baby formula is correct

that said obviously the way to resolve it is not a hip startup deciding its regulated by neither

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

so to make a long story short: i can absolutely believe there's a legitimate, unresolved debate over if Europe or America's idea of proper baby formula is correct

that said obviously the way to resolve it is not a hip startup deciding its regulated by neither

and i'm saying finding something some parents believe and using that as the impetus to start a business violating fda rules is probably bullshit no matter how you slice it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

and i'm saying finding something some parents believe and using that as the impetus to start a business violating fda rules is probably bullshit no matter how you slice it

yeah i'm not defending the idiot startup, more that i don't see mothers believing the european regulated baby formula is healthier than the fda regulated formula as evidence the parents are crazy. im defending those parents not the startup.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

how dare they enforce these regulations against us, a technology company for baby formula that uses no technology at all besides running a website

also very Bay Area A type move not to breastfeed and use “exotic” European formulas

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm a big innovator in the baby-murder market

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Here's my money

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lancemantis posted:

also very Bay Area A type move not to breastfeed and use “exotic” European formulas

for something that has been necessary for babies to Not Die for nearly all of our history as a species, breastfeeding is surprisingly fiddly and lots of women have a hard time feeding their baby enough/at all through breastfeeding no matter how hard they try and already feel bad enough about it so don't be a dick to mothers who are giving their kid formula

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also formula lets you get drunk

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

i dont think you understand the amount of money sloshing around at the top that cant be spent fast enough on SV horseshit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shame Boy posted:

I mean, as far as baseless bullshit goes, "Europe has a more trustworthy and rigorous regulatory system than the US that results in safer products" isn't really that unreasonable

I think Europe is more permissive with food and drug regulation though

well, unless you want to label your food after the region it's generally known to be named for in which case you're boned

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

for something that has been necessary for babies to Not Die for nearly all of our history as a species, breastfeeding is surprisingly fiddly and lots of women have a hard time feeding their baby enough/at all through breastfeeding no matter how hard they try and already feel bad enough about it so don't be a dick to mothers who are giving their kid formula

pretty sure the formula part wasn't what they were making GBS threads on

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

pretty sure the formula part wasn't what they were making GBS threads on

they absolutely were making GBS threads on the formula part or the "not to breastfeed" part wouldn't be in there

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

looking to get bought out by nestle?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also formula lets you get drunk

yeah that's what they mean when they talk about "breastfeeding difficulties"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fritz posted:

looking to get bought out by nestle?
raytheon

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
speaking of babies

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59nmkx/google-employee-alleges-discrimination-against-pregnant-women-in-viral-memo

quote:

A memo written by a Google employee that accuses the company of discriminating and retaliating against her for being pregnant has been seen by more than 10,000 employees at the internet giant, Motherboard has learned.

quote:

Upon giving notice that I was leaving my team, I was immediately contacted by my VP who
stressed that I'm doing great work and am a coveted member of the team. He asked that I
remain on the team, especially given that my manager was transitioning off of the team for
reasons he couldn't share. Finally some action had been taken, so I thought! I decided to stay
on the team.
Fast forward to over a month later, and my manager was still on the team and her manager
scheduled a meeting with me. I was told in that meeting that counter to what I had been told
by my VP, my manager was not leaving the team. I was then told that my manager reported I
wasn't meeting expectations for my role, and asked what my next steps were.

quote:

During one conversation in which my new manager brought up meeting with my former
manager to sync on my recently released performance review, I did however share that I was
deflated because of retaliation and how I was treated by my former boss. My new boss
warned that I should let the situation go given the seniority level and influence of my former
boss within the smaller Seattle/Kirkland Google community in which we work.

quote:

My investigator emphasized that I shouldn’t be concerned with retaliation for sharing my concerns, but then stated I could enroll in free counseling through Google if I needed tips on how to rebuild the relationship with my manager given her awareness of the investigation.

quote:

During one conversation with my new manager in which I reiterated an early leave and upcoming bedrest, she told me that she had just listened to an NPR segment that debunked the benefits of bedrest,” she wrote. “She also shared that her doctor had ordered her to take bedrest, but that she ignored the order and worked up until the day before she delivered her son via cesarean section. My manager then emphasized in this same meeting that a management role was no longer guaranteed upon my return from maternity leave, and that she supported my interviewing for other roles at Google.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the secret is that quite often the baby did die. nature only cares that it works well enough more often than not

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

my wife's from brazil, she told me about nestle's baby formula scandal, that's hosed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

the secret is that quite often the baby did die. nature only cares that it works well enough more often than not

the invention of infant formula was a big drat deal yeah

absolutely enormous impact on child mortality, before that you basically had to have enough money to afford a wet nurse. nowadays it's reversed and breastfeeding is more of a rich lady thing and formula is seen as for poors

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

yes and no

sometimes products have good reasons for being denied fda certification for sale in the us and other times it's just red tape bullshit. you can get much better sunscreen in europe than the us for instance, and it's mainly because the fda has been dragging it's feet for the last decade. the good stuff from la roche-posay and vichy blocks considerably more uva and uvb rays than the chalky goop sold in the us while being more comfortable to wear

although, thanks to amazon.de you can order most of this stuff in the us without paying $holyshit shipping fees now

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is the same area that objected to getting fibre broadband because the cabinets were green and "would clash with the surroundings"

i mean if we're talking the sins of kensington and chelsea council, they took money from a property developer to prettify some of the only social housing in the area to boost the value of their new development, then cut corners extensively on the work, including choosing a flammable material for the outer cladding to save about 5 grand. but, you know, fire's not likely to be a problem, is it?

thank god though, they've put scaffolding around it with a green heart on it, so the view has been saved for people in ladbroke grove

fun (not at all fun) fact - almost a hundred survivors of grenfell are *still* in temporary accommodation two years later. k&c council have a quarter of a billion pounds in reserves, which they used to reduce the top rate of council tax (which in k&c is basically multi-million pound properties, whose owners no doubt are feeling the pinch of an annual tax of an eye-watering 2,381.10)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

this happened to a friend of mine recently and she was really upset about it for a while because everyone gives you poo poo if you say you're giving your baby formula

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
the shovel selling business is still good

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/technology/brex-start-up.html

quote:

Meet the two Stanford dropouts, both 23, who run Brex, which provides charge cards to start-ups. Its growth is a sign of Silicon Valley’s unflagging exuberance.

quote:

Mr. Dubugras said he now bought subscription home-cooked meals for his Bernese mountain dog, Ruby, who is named after the coding language Ruby on Rails.

tilting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

motedek posted:

Mr. Dubugras said he now bought subscription home-cooked meals for his Bernese mountain dog

this is right up there with "emotional support rooster" for the most silicon valley thing ever written