Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Imagined posted:

"sounds like nuclear" is some purestrain internet stupidity.

Yeah the explosion wasn't nearly bright enough. The reason you look away from nuclear explosions is because they are bright enough to blind you. And there should also be some noise from radiation pushing across the camera sensor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Any large explosion can create that kind of expanding vapor cloud (a vapor wave, if you like) as the pressure suddenly drops following passage of the shockwave and water in the air condenses. As long as it's humid enough - we associate it mostly with nuclear detonations because the US did a ton of nuclear testing in the Pacific, which provides a perfect hot and humid environment for the phenomenon.

Judging by timing of explosion/shockwave arrival, the camera was only about two miles away.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you both for making these posts so that I didn't have to :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

redgubbinz posted:

I've seen people texting/talking while on bicycles. Naturally, their right hand is the one steering/braking so they've only got their rear brake to work with. You're already courting death cycling anywhere near a main road in the US, why not make it interesting!

I think one of my favourites was today: guy riding with one hand on the bike's handlebars, veering wildly from side to side on the both-ways bicycle lane(I was coming the other way and mildly worried he'd slam into me), not wearing a bike helmet... because the helmet was hanging off his handlebars to preserve his hairstyle.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you understand the difference between being a danger to yourself and others, clarkson-avatared man?

Yes, because if you plow into a pedestrian on your bike while you’re texting, you both just bounce lightly off of each other and a jaunty tune plays. If you wipe out and fall into the lane of traffic with your phone to your ear, the cars will definitely all miss you and each other.

Chances are really good that if you shouldn’t do it while you drive, you shouldn’t do it while you bike, because while you might not be able to directly hurt as many people, you can still wreak havoc.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yes, because if you plow into a pedestrian on your bike while you’re texting, you both just bounce lightly off of each other and a jaunty tune plays. If you wipe out and fall into the lane of traffic with your phone to your ear, the cars will definitely all miss you and each other.

Chances are really good that if you shouldn’t do it while you drive, you shouldn’t do it while you bike, because while you might not be able to directly hurt as many people, you can still wreak havoc.

Shhhh, you'll rile up the ~eco conscious~ spandex hordes who believe they're above reproach.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

As an audiophile I find they have a warmer sound. People say you can't tell the difference between a proper artisan low oxygen nuclear weapon and an equivalent volume of regular explosives, but as we saw when the Russians lost the loudness war that just isn't the case.

Anyway so we're putting another $100bn on the procurement budget right? I know a really good maker of hand crafted big red buttons.

Look, nobody knows more about nuclear the me – my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer at M.I.T.; good genes, very good genes, O.K., very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart – you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, okay, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world – it’s true! – but when you're a conservative Republican they try – oh, they do a number – that’s why I always start off: "Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune”– you know I have to give my life credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged – but you look at the nuclear explosion, the thing really bothers me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

Look, nobody knows more about nuclear the me – my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer at M.I.T.; good genes, very good genes, O.K., very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart – you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, okay, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world – it’s true! – but when you're a conservative Republican they try – oh, they do a number – that’s why I always start off: "Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune”– you know I have to give my life credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged – but you look at the nuclear explosion, the thing really bothers me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I thought this was the radioactive decay diagram for Uranium/daughter products at first glance, but turns out its even more insane and hard to get through.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

As an audiophile I find they have a warmer sound. People say you can't tell the difference between a proper artisan low oxygen nuclear weapon and an equivalent volume of regular explosives, but as we saw when the Russians lost the loudness war that just isn't the case.

Anyway so we're putting another $100bn on the procurement budget right? I know a really good maker of hand crafted big red buttons.

I hooked up my speakers to my sound system with nuclear coat hangers. It's makes everything sound zestier.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I heart bacon posted:

I hooked up my speakers to my sound system with nuclear coat hangers. It's makes everything sound zestier.

speaker crystals really make them sing so you can tell New-Klear from Neu-ke-lear audio.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
That explosion is awful but seeing and then hearing the shockwave was interesting

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Dick Cheney posted:

That explosion is awful but seeing and then hearing the shockwave was interesting

Welcome to the Physics party

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/tyomateee/status/1157969753274642432

This could be a work truck, so close enough to count I think.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Banana delivery

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Those explosives were jam-packed full of atoms.

Nuclear atoms.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

New 2020 Daihatsu Swayback kei van looking pretty shocking

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Big Dick Cheney posted:

This is how it works in the real world, but if you try and do it in a movie or videogame then everyone will complain about how it doesn't match up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Luneshot posted:

Any large explosion can create that kind of expanding vapor cloud (a vapor wave, if you like) as the pressure suddenly drops following passage of the shockwave and water in the air condenses. As long as it's humid enough - we associate it mostly with nuclear detonations because the US did a ton of nuclear testing in the Pacific, which provides a perfect hot and humid environment for the phenomenon.

Compare to Sailor Hat, which was 500 tons of HE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5TEkEhQGA

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Those explosives were jam-packed full of atoms.

Nuclear atoms.

It’s pronounced nuke-you-ler.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Shamelessly stolen from another goons post because THERE IS NO LAW AND ORDER IN THE WORLD WE'RE ALL DOOMED AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Reign Of Pain posted:

Shamelessly stolen from another goons post because THERE IS NO LAW AND ORDER IN THE WORLD WE'RE ALL DOOMED AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's awesome though, and it's not some idiot swift driver that's going to jacknife over 4 lanes of traffic and get stuck under a bridge

I give it a solid "hell yeah"

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Compare to Sailor Hat, which was 500 tons of HE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5TEkEhQGA

Honestly the Russia explosion today looks a fair bit larger than this, but it's pretty hard to tell scale without more information. Comparing with the video of the PEPCON explosion in '88, estimated at roughly 1 kt and with nearly the same ten seconds of delay between detonation and the sound arriving at the camera, my completely non-expert and internet-educated thought is at least a similar yield if not larger for the Russian one.

Minor Scale in 1985 was 4.2 kt equivalent (and Misty Picture a couple years later), but unfortunately I've never seen any sort of video of them. Also, being at White Sands Missile Range (same place the Trinity detonation took place) and thus in the middle of a desert, I expect the cool vapor cloud effect to be significantly diminished. Most of the nukes they tested at the Nevada Test Site didn't show the phenomenon either. (31kt example)

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

PathAsc posted:

That's awesome though, and it's not some idiot swift driver that's going to jacknife over 4 lanes of traffic and get stuck under a bridge

I give it a solid "hell yeah"

I used to drive a '77 Chevy "sports" Van and the roof was indeed solid AF but I dunno if it could handle that kinda weight...especially when when you go over another road at a intersection that has not been leveled properly....that gonna cause the roof to kerlapse and mush a fella!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

Honestly the Russia explosion today looks a fair bit larger than this, but it's pretty hard to tell scale without more information. Comparing with the video of the PEPCON explosion in '88, estimated at roughly 1 kt and with nearly the same ten seconds of delay between detonation and the sound arriving at the camera, my completely non-expert and internet-educated thought is at least a similar yield if not larger for the Russian one.

Minor Scale in 1985 was 4.2 kt equivalent (and Misty Picture a couple years later), but unfortunately I've never seen any sort of video of them. Also, being at White Sands Missile Range (same place the Trinity detonation took place) and thus in the middle of a desert, I expect the cool vapor cloud effect to be significantly diminished. Most of the nukes they tested at the Nevada Test Site didn't show the phenomenon either. (31kt example)

This is the best publicly available daily satellite imagery I know of.

It doesn’t look like it has updated since the explosion.

Here it is on Nukemap for and idea of how many tons of explosives it would take to damage structures in the area.

A person would have to be unlucky to lose a window in downtown Achinsk.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Reign Of Pain posted:

I used to drive a '77 Chevy "sports" Van and the roof was indeed solid AF but I dunno if it could handle that kinda weight...especially when when you go over another road at a intersection that has not been leveled properly....that gonna cause the roof to kerlapse and mush a fella!

You know there's a reinforced structure in there made of baling wire, fence posts, and hasty welds. It'll buff

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgN-EzthJM

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Uhhh... yeah. This happened this winter.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 6, 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

It's actually based on the true story of Spread Networks laying a nearly straight cable from Chicago to New York for high frequency trading. There was a chapter about it in the book Flash Boys.

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/ff_wallstreet_trading/2/

Microwaves are actually faster and straighter now.

They're also using High Frequency for transatlantic trading.

https://sniperinmahwah.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/shortwave-trading-part-i-the-west-chicago-tower-mystery/

It's a multi-part series, so click the links at the bottom.

Look at these beauties

768kW effective radiated power each, on 160' towers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Icon Of Sin posted:

I thought this was the radioactive decay diagram for Uranium/daughter products at first glance, but turns out its even more insane and hard to get through.

:same:

I was boarding a plane, and the guy in front of me had the diagram for uranium decay tattooed on one tricep, and I geeked out pretty hard. He seemed flattered that someone recognized it. Didn't have much time to chat, tho, which was a bummer.

Sorta OSHA related, if you consider fish deaths an occupational hazard, but I once sat next to a guy whose job is doing fish forensics. He's apparently one of the foremost experts you call if fish are mysteriously dying and you want to untangle said mystery. Most unexpectedly fascinating plane chat I've had so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/iyRHfxj.gifv

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like that the logging industry uses the same "tip the whole fucker over" tactic with their ships.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh shiit look out oh...

bij
Feb 24, 2007

No discussion of shock waves and cool vapor rings is complete without HOLY SMOKIN TOLEDOS.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

No discussion of shock waves and cool vapor rings is complete without HOLY SMOKIN TOLEDOS.

sounds like nuclear?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like that the logging industry uses the same "tip the whole fucker over" tactic with their ships.

I'm pretty sure this is standard unloading method for all cargo container freighters too.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That is where all those AliExpress frog pins ended up!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:same:

I was boarding a plane, and the guy in front of me had the diagram for uranium decay tattooed on one tricep, and I geeked out pretty hard. He seemed flattered that someone recognized it. Didn't have much time to chat, tho, which was a bummer.

Sorta OSHA related, if you consider fish deaths an occupational hazard, but I once sat next to a guy whose job is doing fish forensics. He's apparently one of the foremost experts you call if fish are mysteriously dying and you want to untangle said mystery. Most unexpectedly fascinating plane chat I've had so far.

Did you get the guy's email or something? Would be great to find out what happens to my fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I might know who this is. Did you get his name? Did you happen to traveling to or from Minnesota?