Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yea i'm using rebirth and I had no idea there was an uncap turn speed thing. And yea im using keyboard and mouse. It's hard to avoid shots when there are so many ship wide hallways with enemies in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Overbite posted:

I was playing Descent and it kind of feels like Blood in a ship. Open a door and get shot at instantly by everything on the other side. Turn a corner and robots are blasting you from all angles. I was playing on the middle difficulty but it still seems high. And no matter what sensitivity I use i still feel like I turn too slow.
Same reason I gave up on it; I felt it turned into an unfun slog. The game seemed super stingy about handing out health too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, Descents 1 & 2 (can't get 3 to work) are games I loved in theory, less in practice and I gave up on them about halfway in. Luckily Overload is a much less bullshit experience and is, in fact, hella good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

Yeah, Descents 1 & 2 (can't get 3 to work) are games I loved in theory, less in practice and I gave up on them about halfway in. Luckily Overload is a much less bullshit experience and is, in fact, hella good.

Overload is also a crazy cool experience in VR. All topsy turvy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should probably play Forsaken some day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It only took me 20 years but I finally learned what opens the rocket launcher room in the first map of Doom 2. The most infuriating thing is the very first time I played Doom 2 I got this secret but since then I never knew what triggered it.

I may finish most maps with 0 secrets

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It took me over a decade to learn what opened the plasma secret in MAP06, so it's not like there isn't some arcane BS in those maps sometimes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hell-Forged looks pretty dope. But... I got stuck twice in map 5 because the mix of overall dark setting and low contract texture work. I literally didn't see some stairs on the side on a room I had been twice because of that, and the same with a grey lift in between other grey textures, combine that with the fact it was in an unintuitive position and I had to watch a youtube video to get unstuck.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 5, 2019

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there a way for me to play PSX Doom on GZDoom if I have the PSX game disc and the soundtrack?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is there a way for me to play PSX Doom on GZDoom if I have the PSX game disc and the soundtrack?
Not from the original files. If you want to play PSX Doom in GZDoom, check out the PSX Doom TC. Alternatively, you can also check out my modified version which is gameplay mod-compatible and smaller in filesize (like it matters nowadays)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want to play ps1 quake 2 on pc with mouse and keyboard

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Overbite posted:

I want to play n64 quake 2 on pc with mouse and keyboard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

In custom campaigns the backpack is a great way to let the player know that the enemies are about to step their numbers up, because generally if it's handed out you are going to need the extra ammo capacity lickety split.

Yeah, or in single-level wads, like Verdant Citadel giving me a backpack was a sign "this is the last room, poo poo's getting real"

Permanent buffs in a doom game aren't the worst idea, look at Doom Eternal. You could imagine the backpack being balanced a little different and basically ending up like the doom eternal upgrades to ammo capacity or health capacity. It should ideally give a much smaller boost and stack though, so that getting more than one backpack actually serves something.

Or just make it last for one level IDK.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyMsAja5z8

PRO DOOM: THE PLUTONIA EXPERIMENT

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Overbite posted:

I want to play ps1 quake 2 on pc with mouse and keyboard

epsxe lets you emulate a ps mouse for aiming in Quake 2, but I found I still needed to use the d-pad on a controller for movement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Plutonia is really hard but not the fun kind of really hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nice, I've been enjoying this series of videos

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Kins posted:

Not from the original files. If you want to play PSX Doom in GZDoom, check out the PSX Doom TC. Alternatively, you can also check out my modified version which is gameplay mod-compatible and smaller in filesize (like it matters nowadays)

Thanks! It's interesting how the really dark ambients, colored sectors and ambient soundtrack make the game almost feel like a quasi-survival horror, especially in the first levels where monsters are sparse. Cool stuff.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
gently caress Plutonia, but especially gently caress it's secret levels. loving god drat one way wall archevile motherfuckers.

CJacobs posted:

Plutonia is really hard but not the fun kind of really hard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, returning to this.

Map chosen is Brigandine, cacowarded in 2017. It's a medium sized map, 190 enemies, it looks like this

I don't move the starting view, so whatever fps I have from the starting point. It has this view

GZDoom, downloaded in a new folder, with default settings then. 1920x1200 res. 310 fps.
GZDoom, downloaded in a new folder, with default settings, except 1920x1200 res, AAx4, and texture filter none (default is trilinear) . 314 fps.
GZDoom, all bells and whistles on, same res, AAx4. 168 fps.
PrBoom+, open gl activated, high settings (the few things you can increase, like trilinear filter, anisox8, use highres textures and resize textures scalex2), with 1920 res and AAx4. 500 fps

Update!
My previous numbers were from my old computer. I had before a i7 4770k with a mild OC (300-4000 mhz more), 16 gb ram ddr3.

However, that computer broke off, the MOBO died. So I bought a new amd 3700x, a new mobo and new ram ddr4. Almost a new computer, although I kept the gpu (1080), hard drives, and case.

For funsies, I'm doing the same test I did before, and funnily the olde Doom is maybe the game where I will notice the upgrade the most.
I think I gained around 60-65 fps in GZDoom, and 200 fps more in PrBoom. LOL

OMG I can even have a decent framerate in Sunder map 15!

(usually 90 fps, but in the moste extreme views like that one, it was 48-50 fps)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 7, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This is the first time I've seen stuff past the early levels of Plutonia and sweet Jesus that is some bullshit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Plutonia is unforgiving on UV yes but it's a reasonably fair challenge on HMP and a fun ride on HNTR. It really isn't that bad for people who don't have the "if I can't play on UV I'm a failed gamer" compulsion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Plutonia on UV is really fun if you're playing with an overpowered weaponset like Dragoncaster or something but don't feel like slogging through a full-on slaughterwad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BalloonMoose/status/1158406645199732736

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1158460459328114688

it's nuttier that darkest dungeon made the list and system shock 2 didn't.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 5, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Plutonia also great with GMOTA.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, after so many years, so few things changes. SS2 was barely a minor hit, a totally underappreciated gem when it was released (for example, it wasn't even released in some European countries), and now decades later, it's still getting the short end of the stick.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 5, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I actually had a PC Gamer issue with the same feature from 2000 or 2001, and SS2 definitely made the list back then. It's just a fact of the industry moving on and the people writing these things being born later that the cult hits of past generations will fade into obscurity.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah, and I think the PC Gamer list is explicitly "100 things we think you should play today" ... rather than an all-time-great evaluate-in-the-context-of-their-time contributions-to-the-genre etc-whatever list. I'm not mad that they have churn in that list that bubbles up some newer stuff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah, and I think the PC Gamer list is explicitly "100 things we think you should play today" ... rather than an all-time-great evaluate-in-the-context-of-their-time contributions-to-the-genre etc-whatever list. I'm not mad that they have churn in that list that bubbles up some newer stuff.

A former PC Gamer staffer said in a podcast that there were commonly games that would always get in because they were personal favourites of one particular writer, but would then disappear as soon as they left. Usually niche stuff from years back like MDK or No One Lives Forever (before it attained mythic status a few years back, at least)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A friend from HG101 reminded me of this tier list he made, and I have to admit, it seems pretty objectively true, doesn't it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The cursed images thread is thataway.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Do not continue your friendship with this person.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Whoosh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I dunno, seems pretty accurate to me. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:sever:

yes I know it's a joke

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Is this a list of games the youths are playing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shadow Hog posted:

A friend from HG101 reminded me of this tier list he made, and I have to admit, it seems pretty objectively true, doesn't it?

Yeah that seems pretty right to me. A lot of people would put Black Ops under B-Tier but I admire the consistency shown here.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

:hmmyes:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Barudak posted:

It only took me 20 years but I finally learned what opens the rocket launcher room in the first map of Doom 2. The most infuriating thing is the very first time I played Doom 2 I got this secret but since then I never knew what triggered it.

I may finish most maps with 0 secrets

I find I have been playing these games so long that I can't change how I play them. I just find the same secrets I always find. Pretty certain I've never played some of the secret levels because of this. Similarly I could not tell you what switch patterns are used in Duke 3D but put me in front of one and muscle memory kicks in and I get them first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

this owns