Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I love the CLA set, it stays true to ASCII but doesn't look like rear end either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just had a bowyer create an artifact: a blowgun. This dwarf must have an interesting backstory. All I see is "she personally is disgusted by the idea of fairness and will freely cheat anybody at any time and finds friendship burdensome."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just had a bowyer create an artifact: a blowgun. This dwarf must have an interesting backstory. All I see is "she personally is disgusted by the idea of fairness and will freely cheat anybody at any time and finds friendship burdensome."

Pretty sure that means raised with Goblin ethics! Probably got goblin-napped and raised in a dark tower then eventually was freed or somehow assimilated then migrated to the dwarven civs. From there likely made it to your fort in a migrant wave, neat!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If it helps explain her personality any further, she has a cat as a pet and felt nothing after seeing a dead dog.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Congrats on your libertarian dwarf.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, since you asked:

I'm thinking I can dig out a channel that the river can fill up into those concave spaces on the east and west sides of the fort. After that, it's going to be walls. The second image is the same X-Y coordinates, but 12 levels up. I started a watchtower there that goes up 15 levels. The map slopes up and up a good 27 levels from ground level.

Circled on the ground map are the two places werebeasts were sighted.

For fortress defense, I would suggest moving the entrance to your fort over to one of those open flat areas to the left and right of where your current entrance is. Just dig a stairwell straight down out in the middle. Then you can build walls and moats around there without having to dig out a hill side.

You could build a bridge in front of your current entrance and keep it in the raised position or just wall it off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Some interesting bugs in my latest fortress:

I provoked human sieges by failing to save enough caravans from goblin invaders, so I get human sieges too now. In the last siege, the humans arrived with a "Horse Recruit" -- a horse who was named and behaved exactly like a human soldier (no rider, aggressive AI, never appeared on the livestock list after being captured unlike regular mounts).

Also, my dwarves all have the maximum possible value for cave adaptation... but going outside doesn't cause vomiting or irritation. This might actually be a case of depth of simulation rather than a bug, but I haven't confirmed it for certain yet: I'm embarked in a biome where it rains almost constantly, and I suspect that in Dwarf Fortress you can't be nauseated by the sun if it's rainy out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Other practical stuff I learned this game:

Happiness and focus management are actually fairly valuable now, as well as more interactive than in previous versions. Dwarves that become stressed easily or have particular stressors that are common in your fortress should be expelled or sent to nearby holdings, and in particular, you should pick your military dwarves and expert craftsmen based on the likelihood that they'll be as happy as possible.

Once a dwarf gets below the tantrum threshold, they very rarely recover. The factors that make a dwarf happy or unhappy still don't really seem to be something you can fix -- they either spiral out of control, reinforce happiness to the point where it's unlikely that anything will ever break them, or reach a barely-neutral equilibrium that will turn into a negative spiral as soon as anything really bad happens to them.

Soldiers and haulers likely to see a lot of death may flip from happy to unhappy, but will eventually become deadened to fear of corpses (although it never seems to reach an actual zero point -- a quantum stockpile with hundreds of corpses will drive even the most hardened dwarf insane if exposed enough times / for long enough, even though each individual corpse only provokes a 50/50 chance of either no reaction or mere "uneasiness") but this is also the one situation where eventually stabilizing is possible, if difficult. The best thing to do is to recruit soldiers whose stress is as negative as possible, so when the worst, initial shock of death and trauma hits they have a huge buffer to absorb it.

Focus -- which is almost completely separate from happiness, although they share some of the same triggers -- affects how fast a dwarf works and, more importantly, the quality of their work. Racking up a huge negative score in one particular focus isn't actually that big of a problem; the issue, and the thing that causes "distracted" dwarves (who do garbage work and do it slowly) is having more unfilled needs than filled ones. There's a weighted distribution of needs and some are more important than others on an individualized basis.

One of the easiest and frequently most impactful effects on focus is religiosity -- a dwarf who's extremely religious gets a massive boost from praying, often 5-10 times stronger than any of the other factors in terms of focus. If possible, pick extremely religious dwarves to be your crafters (especially in cases where quality and/or speed are important).

As an addendum to this, extremely religious dwarves also tend to be the ones who are unsatisfied with interfaith temples and want a temple specifically dedicated to their god, so be sure to supply that; this will help offset all the idiotic focus needs / preferences that are basically impossible to fulfill (like "a decent meal" which requires you to obtain individualized food and drink items for every dwarf in your fortress if you want it to be consistently positive -- completely goddamn stupid.)

As of 0.44.x, becoming a barony (or being promoted up from baron) no longer depends on your fortress's generated wealth (at least, not directly -- there's still some connection, which I'll get to in a moment) but rather on the number of holdings associated with your fortress. There are several ways to acquire holdings: nearby sites may become associated with you automatically if you export enough materials to their civilization, your parent civ may establish holdings near your fortress and assign them to you, or you can send squads of military dwarves out to conquer your neighbors.

An additional wrinkle is that no civilization will establish new holdings in Untamed Wilds or other high-savagery areas. (I need to test this more carefully, but I'm fairly confident this is the reason.) So if you want to completely avoid dwarven nobility ever triggering? There's your answer. Technically it's still possible for a member of your fort to inherit noble positions but this is extremely rare, it happened once in 13 years of my current fort, and if you're really determined you can probably screen dwarves based on their relationships to avoid it altogether. And if you change your mind, you can always try conquest to gain holdings and get the requirements to trigger.

Overall, while it's still entirely possible to play the game without giving a poo poo about any of this and more or less get by, it feels like this version gives you more of a reason to get to know and to care about your dwarves' personality traits than any previous version. It also gives you at least some rudimentary tools for taking advantage of positive traits and ameliorating negative ones, which was also absent in previous versions -- although I can't praise this aspect quite as highly because unfortunately the optimal behavior that the game's mechanics push you towards is "exile all the depressed and anxious dwarves" which is both kind of unsettling and, from a gameplay perspective, your one and only blunt solution to a complicated problem.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 5, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also while it's not much I'm genuinely thrilled to have anything that meaningfully expands or alters the gameplay of fortress mode. I wish it were more of a priority.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, my dwarves all have the maximum possible value for cave adaptation... but going outside doesn't cause vomiting or irritation. This might actually be a case of depth of simulation rather than a bug, but I haven't confirmed it for certain yet: I'm embarked in a biome where it rains almost constantly, and I suspect that in Dwarf Fortress you can't be nauseated by the sun if it's rainy out.

Correct.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I gotta say, just reading Toady's "working on" updates is basically as good as the game itself. I mean the guy went from villains to making abomination experiments to different types of dice so you can gamble with your God of choice. I love it. :allears:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How can i use the new souped up manager screen to monitor fuel items? I'm trying to make it give the order to burn wood into charcoal if there are less than 50, but in the "change item type" menu i can't find charcoal, fuel or anything i can come up with so the order never starts.

Also having same problem with making coke from lignite and the other one.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Dongattack posted:

How can i use the new souped up manager screen to monitor fuel items? I'm trying to make it give the order to burn wood into charcoal if there are less than 50, but in the "change item type" menu i can't find charcoal, fuel or anything i can come up with so the order never starts.

Also having same problem with making coke from lignite and the other one.

You may have the option to press "r" to add reagent-specific conditions from the main conditions screen. This is also available when making food/drink work orders. For those, it'll add a condition where "unrotten drinkmat materials" is at least 10, and the number of empty containers is at least 10. Change the numbers to your liking and you should be set.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah yeah, i think i got it. I didn't use the reagent menu, but the add conditions from products menu instead and now it seems to be operating. Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Did anybody ever poke that save I posted with a stick to see why I was slowing down so much? This new fort is starting to poo poo itself too. I'm playing around with pumping out an aquifer, but it wasn't this bad when I had half the population. I don't think it's the water mechanics... although I did flood a cavern. I'll be sad if I simply cannot run this game with 500 entities (between dwarves and animals). It's dying right when things get good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

temperature disabled
weather disabled
not overproducing items and trading away or atom smashing stuff i don't need
500 entities including dwarves and animals
no active water flows

somebody please help me my processor is dying

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I asked about the animals before and people weren't too convinced.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did anybody ever poke that save I posted with a stick to see why I was slowing down so much? This new fort is starting to poo poo itself too. I'm playing around with pumping out an aquifer, but it wasn't this bad when I had half the population. I don't think it's the water mechanics... although I did flood a cavern. I'll be sad if I simply cannot run this game with 500 entities (between dwarves and animals). It's dying right when things get good.

have you tried mass slaughter of cats and setting LNP to allow a max of 0 children

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In all seriousness, you're talking about more than double the number of critters the game's default (and already incredibly generous) maximum limit is designed to handle. Even if the thread's collective experts wrack their brains for some of the lesser-known optimization cases, there's still a practical limit on how much it can possibly help.

How big is your military? Sparring sessions, for some reason I've never been entirely clear on, is a major drain on FPS even in microforts. If you've got 50 or 60 dwarves in training I could definitely see that making matters worse than 50 or 60 dwarves spending most of their time idling or pathing between a workshop and the nearest stockpile.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In all seriousness, you're talking about more than double the number of critters the game's default (and already incredibly generous) maximum limit is designed to handle.
How does one override that? I don't recall toying with anything like that. I know about the 50 cap per species, but is there some global cap?

I don't think I even have 50 dogs, which was my main target. I was setting up war dogs in pastures around the map as an early-warning helper for werejackals. I will add that it worked...

What is the more FPS-sustainable means of animal husbandry? If it's really the animals, it sounds like I have to pick one dairy/leather/meat/fat/bone-producing animal and just leave it with that.

I just figured out an appropriate experiment for this. I can just embark somewhere with hacked points and bring along lots of livestock. If I start out in a hopeless mess then I think I know what's up.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How big is your military? Sparring sessions, for some reason I've never been entirely clear on, is a major drain on FPS even in microforts. If you've got 50 or 60 dwarves in training I could definitely see that making matters worse than 50 or 60 dwarves spending most of their time idling or pathing between a workshop and the nearest stockpile.
Just ten at a time.

Skyl3lazer posted:

have you tried mass slaughter of cats and setting LNP to allow a max of 0 children

I'm not using the LNP but I do have Dwarf Therapist and DFHack. I think I set them up the hard way. That being said, I have something like 15 cats after a culling. It was kind of awkward to queue up cats for slaughter in the game while my cuddle cat was watching on from my lap. I think it actually made him happy, BTW.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How does one override that? I don't recall toying with anything like that. I know about the 50 cap per species, but is there some global cap?

df_init normally limits you to, I think, 220 dwarves, a couple of visitors, and something like 40? invaders and their mounts.

in fairness i don't think there's a global animal limit so if you're just exactly up to cap on dwarves and the other ~300 entities are all animals, then i was just wrong about that.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is the more FPS-sustainable means of animal husbandry? If it's really the animals, it sounds like I have to pick one dairy/leather/meat/fat/bone-producing animal and just leave it with that.

Limit their movement. I forget if animals can breed in cages currently but if they can, do that. If not, put them in the smallest pasture they can fit in without overcrowding causing fights, make the room a dead end and make sure that any doors to it are set non-pet-passable -- basically animals have a tendency to meander out of pastures sometimes for reasons that are hard to pin down, and you want to avoid that because animals wandering around your fortress spend a great deal more time doing pathfinding than animals stuck in a closet.

I would also just suggest having fewer of each animal. DFHack's Autobutcher script might be helpful -- the default settings are pretty strict (5 females of a species, 1 male, butcher everything else) so you might want to adjust it up a little bit, but definitely don't go around with like 30+ of any one species either.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 6, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would also just suggest having fewer of each animal. DFHack's Autobutcher script might be helpful -- the default settings are pretty strict (5 females of a species, 1 male, butcher everything else) so you might want to adjust it up a little bit, but definitely don't go around with like 30+ of any one species either.

Well I decided to start The Dwarven Fortress of Cheesetest The Slow Frames with 300 cows, 50 bulls, and 50 war dogs. It dropped right down to 16 FPS so I'm going to go out on a limb and saw that maybe I should rein in the animals a little bit. I did an experiment with caging a bull and got a DFHack warning about it starving. I'll worry about that after I do something about all the... rabbits, bunnies, donkeys, horses, pigs, piglets, boars, llamas, goats, lambs... and narrow myself to main 1-2 types of cows for now, alpacas, and the poultry.

Edit: Also whacking the ews and rams...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah you can't cage grazers, they have to be pastured to eat

similarly, poultry and other egg-layers aren't always grazers, but they need nest boxes to reproduce (or even just to lay eggs for your egg industry if that's what you're going for) so they can't be caged either

carnivores and omnivores are fine indefinitely though, you can stick a pig or a dog in a cage forever and they'll be fine

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm pretty sure I did mention that 140 Dwarves should be your cap for all game features. Even that's pretty hard on low-end computers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also, those requirements no longer exist

at least they definitely don't for Barons, Counts, and Dukes, none of whom require a population larger than 20 any more, while the requirements for becoming the capital and the arrival of the monarch in DF 44.12 is... obscure, at best, but probably doesn't require 140 dwarves

invasions and megabeast attacks still have population requirements but those cap out at 80 by default and are very easy to adjust downward in the raws if you want to be invaded and still have a decent framerate

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How many of what different kind of animals do you tend to keep around then?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Butcher everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I keep about 7-8 adult pigs and their piglets (I don't keep track of how many of those -- it's just that you don't get any leather if you slaughter them before adulthood) for meat, and 1-2 of various unusual animals purchased from elves or captured in exotic biomes as curiosities.

Once I breach the underground I keep an eye out for Cave Dragons or Jabberers (both massive, cool-sounding, and capable of being war trained, which makes them ideal bodyguards for important dwarves) and keep just enough to keep a breeding population going if all the ones in active guard duty die in combat, and if I'm lucky enough to get a breeding pair of Giant Cave Spiders I set them up for silk production and/or placing webbing as an element of fortress defense.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I like keeping a few llamas for milk and wool, a couple dogs for training/emergency meat, and a couple cats for vermin control. Maybe a few geese for eggs. Leather I buy off the caravans and supplement with cavern critters.

Then I just periodically go through and butcher everything else I end up with.

And yeah, anything important, make sure you have a breeding pair stashed but pastured separately.

Immigrants often show up with pets and you can't really do anything about that except try to limit breeding through gelding or keeping non-pet animals of the same species separate.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So... uhhh... I got the fortress up for the night and saw I actually had 444 animals. I started the slaughtering binge. I now have 445 animals.

Send help.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Have you considered magma, nature's butcher

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I would want to try something before that. Something that... closes the gap. Like a bridge, you might say.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Get a gelder?

Put butcher workshop in your pen to reduce time between?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's starting to finally work down... after putting in five more butcher shops. I am down to 381 after about six game months. The FPS has gone up from 8 to 16. The interesting thing is I think I've gotten more migrants since then than animals butchered in absolute terms, but performance has increased. So it might be very specific to animals. I should have also done an experiment starting with 350 dwarves.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
There's no real benefit from keeping farm animals, unless something changed so you can't just cook plump helmets with plump helmet juice anymore. Like, I get that there's no real need to min/max to get anywhere, but afaik they mainly graze on cpu time.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's no need to, since yeah you can subsist forever on infinite plump helmets and pig tails, but I, personally, like having a few. :shrug:

They definitely are really bad for performance though.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

30 dogs (20 trained war dogs / 10 puppies) if you find your map has a bigger problem with werebeasts then of course adjust this as necessary.

At most 10 of other animals and I aim for this to be sheep.

Slaughter everything else.

Exceptions abound of course. If you manage to get cave dragons and breed them, then let them replace your dogs. Sheep are the better livestock grazers to keep since they provide a bit of everything and don't require too big of a pen. I don't bother to keep horses, cows, yaks, or really any of the bigger grazers if I have sheep. I MIGHT keep up to 3 wild boars if I find them for their ivory but that's not likely and usually not a needed material.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the eternal conundrum of dwarf fort is seeing how many cool and varied things you can balance with the screaming of your processor as it struggles to simulate them all

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Urist Stonefingers cancels store item in depot: Not enough CPU cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

anyone here ever build a computer optimized for DF? been playing it a lil bit on a frankensteined computer I'm using after my venerable desktop died, runnin a dual-core predecessor to the i3 and a GPU from 2005 (replacing an older Core2Duo and a newer GPU that, alas, my PSU won't power)- does the new code use the GPU for calculations or something? FPS seems a lot lower than on my old compy, but that could just be that DF is a couple versions newer, or even just placebo from 'older GPU = slower than'