Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Make sure they're not just bad because they aren't leveled compared to your level 5 batallions

The Kingdom Youths are indeed just bad. Merchant Militia is okay on mages until you can get better battalions for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

not a bot posted:

Because the added uses for pulse and teaching bonuses make the game way too easy. I think turning the gold/purple online tiles off and not upgrading the statues will go a long way in making the game better.

I dunno, I find myself using the Pulses a lot more in the later maps with more "haha tricked you" moments popping up. It's not so much making things easier as it is stopping me from restarting the map using 99% of the exact same turn-by-turn strategy, save for the unit placement the turn that enemy reinforcements show up behind my team

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Personally I think a game that lets ballistae crit is a game where it's not cheating to use divine pulse

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thread is moving so fast so apologies if I missed it: what was that online class trick that got mentioned for easy gold?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've only used divine pulse once and it was when the first monster showed up and I didn't realize it's AoE would do like fourty loving damage to everybody besides Byleth, Dimitri, and Dudue. Even then I probably would have just reset instead, except walking up to the boss in a spiral was super goddamn tedious and I couldn't be assed.

I understand it's a QoL thing that just acknowledges how we are going to reset anyway when somebody dies so might as well just rewind to what caused it and save yourself 30 minutes, but I wish it was a bit more nuanced mechanics-wise.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Let’s say e.g. I want Annette to get good with a lance. Should I downclass her to soldier or paladin and use a lance in those classes, or should I keep her at warlock or gremory and use the lance?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

wuggles posted:

Let’s say e.g. I want Annette to get good with a lance. Should I downclass her to soldier or paladin and use a lance in those classes, or should I keep her at warlock or gremory and use the lance?

You’re going to have a better time keeping characters in jobs they’re good at and using the teaching/goals system to power through the ranks of skills they're bad at

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Zoran posted:

You’re going to have a better time keeping characters in jobs they’re good at and using the teaching/goals system to power through the ranks of skills they're bad at

Cool, thanks. Tried a monster map with the downclassing and I’m regretting it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

Individual classes really only impact the skills you have available and your base stats to a degree, so yeah there's nothing really stopping you from having any unit wield any weapon. Downgrading will maybe get her something like Lancefaire, which can be very good, but you have to weigh the cost vs something like x2 Black Magic Casts.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My favorite part of any FE is dumping the convoy and using all the stat boosters before the final map

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

My favorite part of any FE is dumping the convoy and using all the stat boosters before the final map

why would you wait that long

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

cheetah7071 posted:

Hoarder tendencies

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
wait do i have to hold onto my renown on this file to get a higher starting professor level in NG+

i was under the impression that my professor level would just carry over automatically

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

What if you need it later??????

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

^burtle posted:

Thread is moving so fast so apologies if I missed it: what was that online class trick that got mentioned for easy gold?

Just send a traveler off selling Umbral Steel, the 2700g blacksmithing item.

e: For stat boosters it is a good idea to wait til level 20 to get the advanced class stat boost. But yeah after that don't bother hoarding.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

it's so weird that the online functionality requires you to have Nintendo Online, meanwhile Dragon Quest Builders let you use all the social functions for free and only locked actual multiplayer behind the paywall

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wait do i have to hold onto my renown on this file to get a higher starting professor level in NG+

i was under the impression that my professor level would just carry over automatically

I'm fairly certain you get a lot of renown just for completing the game and that should be enough to max your professor level in NG+ and pick up a few other bonuses. Also all the sidequests reset and you can't donate to the Saint statues until you get that sidequest from Flayn, so like you're not exactly gonna be hurting for renown, you know?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

You get like, twice the amount of renown you need to unlock A+ professor level just for beating the game. Don't hoard renown on your first playthrough.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Linhard casually trampling all over people's trauma and not noticing it makes me feel bad :(

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You get like, twice the amount of renown you need to unlock A+ professor level just for beating the game. Don't hoard renown on your first playthrough.

i haven't been hoarding renown at all which was why i freaked out at first, but looks like i can continue going hog wild for the time being

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Fodlan is basically fantasy Iberia, geographically at least

Are we going to get to fight the Watchers?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Time for the Professor to explore Sierra Leonie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The time jump is a really cool story device and i understand how hard it must be to write dialogue that can be used at two different points, that far apart, but it is absolutely loving hilarious to watch Byleth and Cyril have a conversation about cleaning the litter in the sanctuary in front of a giant pile of rubble and dirt

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think most if not all A-Ranks between members of opposite genders (and some within the same gender) end in a way that makes their potential paired ending a logical progression.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Individual classes really only impact the skills you have available and your base stats to a degree, so yeah there's nothing really stopping you from having any unit wield any weapon. Downgrading will maybe get her something like Lancefaire, which can be very good, but you have to weigh the cost vs something like x2 Black Magic Casts.

They also impact how fast the stat grows in battle. Like a Gremory will get 1 wexp every fight they use lances while a Paladin gets 4. Using weapons on a class that doesn't boost their exp is really slow and inefficient overall.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How should I handle battalions? Is there a good reason to level up a bunch of them? I have way more battalions than I know what to do with. Can I sell them? Is there a good list of what battalions are good and which are trash?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The accolades trailer Nintendo released today is full of spoilers. Holy poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tired Moritz posted:

What's with the fish of mystery event? Worth skipping out on the rare monster?

Rare monsters and the fishing events are all just nothings. The rare monster is just a slightly harder battle with a neutral monster enemy called King Of [fangs/wings/other stuff] and fish of mystery just means buffs when fishing.

Basically don't worry about it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I ended up with 5000 and professor rank A+ costs 4500.
Remember you can only buy stuff you've already unlocked so make sure you hit A+ first playthrough at some time.

The only downside for me is that I've run out of cooking stuff :(
Turns out you need time to build it up before you head out and do 10 meals

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

How should I handle battalions? Is there a good reason to level up a bunch of them? I have way more battalions than I know what to do with. Can I sell them? Is there a good list of what battalions are good and which are trash?

Generally the higher the requirement to use a battalion the better they are. You can sell most of your seiros archers and infantry and whatnot after the timeskip, but you're going to start getting really good battalions with amazing skills like the fireball, group flame, focused lightning, stride, etc and its worth leveling up authority on your main guys so they can equip them.

If you have a half decent lysithea, for example, and you get her to like B command and put a decent mage battalion with focused lightning on her she can instantly break all the shields on a beast in addition to gibbing anything else.

(Lysithea is broken as hell and the best mage in the game, which helps)

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Also it is weird how some things aren't talked about in some paths but are treated as though you know what's going on.
Death knight was already mentioned but Judith - she appears in part two of BE but I had no idea who she was really, she only means something if you've done Golden Deer.

Lots of bits like that. It's not bad or anything, but some stuff I did want to know more about.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Generally the higher the requirement to use a battalion the better they are. You can sell most of your seiros archers and infantry and whatnot after the timeskip, but you're going to start getting really good battalions with amazing skills like the fireball, group flame, focused lightning, stride, etc and its worth leveling up authority on your main guys so they can equip them

The hard part with this is when you're recruiting or assigning it doesn't tell you which are E rank so it's not easy to know what needs replacing.
I just gave up with them, too much effort.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Someone said earlier that the Edelgard route felt rushed and I think I can agree with that. Feels like there's just...something missing in a way that goes beyond needing another perspective to find all the answers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was written last and so when certain plot points came up they said "do we need to re-explain this? It comes up in x storyline" except the things they chose not to explain don't make any sense both from a player perspective or in-fiction

e: for example, Edelgard introducing you to her uncle, who genetically experimented on Edelgard which was the instigating moment for her to decide to overthrow the church and rid the world of the nobility. He's arguably as important to that plotline as Rhea is. But, when he finally shows up, she just said "oh this is my uncle, I told you about him. Well, bye.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Someone said earlier that the Edelgard route felt rushed and I think I can agree with that. Feels like there's just...something missing in a way that goes beyond needing another perspective to find all the answers. It feels like it was written last and so when certain plot points came up they said "do we need to re-explain this? It comes up in x storyline" except the things they chose not to explain don't make any sense both from a player perspective or in-fiction

lions also felt a bit rushed. Or at least like they came up with a good outline and then just stretched a thin bit of fabric between the outlined points. Like (medium spoilers, I talk about who the bad guy is on that route but no events beyond that) Dimitri gets a chance to talk to Edelgard and ask for her motivation and she just sorta...doesn't answer. She says she wants to end the cycle of the strong trampling the weak, but makes absolutely no attempt to clarify how conquering fodlan even remotely achieves that. It wasn't as bad as Conquest's constant "buy rev" poo poo but I definitely felt like the individual route, taken by itself, suffered from not being allowed to explain everything.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

zbig
Aug 5, 2019
How long or how many months is the academy part of the game? I want to know about how far in I am but I'm afriad of reading spoilers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

lions also felt a bit rushed. Or at least like they came up with a good outline and then just stretched a thin bit of fabric between the outlined points. Like (medium spoilers, I talk about who the bad guy is on that route but no events beyond that) Dimitri gets a chance to talk to Edelgard and ask for her motivation and she just sorta...doesn't answer. She says she wants to end the cycle of the strong trampling the weak, but makes absolutely no attempt to clarify how conquering fodlan even remotely achieves that. It wasn't as bad as Conquest's constant "buy rev" poo poo but I definitely felt like the individual route, taken by itself, suffered from not being allowed to explain everything.

I was typing out my edit and thinking about it...do we know why the crest experimentation made her want to take out the Church? Like, why does she think the church is so evil when her uncle is a billion times worse? I was expecting the game to go for another six chapters like all the others where you transition into fighting Slytherin, but uhhhhh you don't ever. Like, how is the person who tortured Edelgard not her final boss

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man the ai for the battle at grondar hill really shits the bed if you don't rush to the hill like it expects you to do. I parked all my units in the cozy forest next to my spawn location and let the blue lions slowly come towards my kill line (lysithea). After they were dead hubert rushed the rest of the black eagles on to the burning hill and just sat there until I killed them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

zbig posted:

How long or how many months is the academy part of the game? I want to know about how far in I am but I'm afriad of reading spoilers.

2/22 is the last day before the timeskip which is basically the halfway point

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Edelgard route definitely needed to be longer and deal with evil uncle and the slitherers. Not offscreen, we should have gone and fought them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was typing out my edit and thinking about it...do we know why the crest experimentation made her want to take out the Church? Like, why does she think the church is so evil when her uncle is a billion times worse? I was expecting the game to go for another six chapters like all the others where you transition into fighting Slytherin, but uhhhhh you don't ever. Like, how is the person who tortured Edelgard not her final boss

we get to see edelgard, at the end of chapter 11, going into her revanchist fantasies about how the church robbed the empire of faerghus and then the leicester alliance territories, and when you wake up five years later you see a world ravaged by her acting on those revanchist fantasies, though of course none of this explains why she's never seen actually doing anything about the slitherers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They wont but totally could do an epilogue story dlc that deals with El and Byleth going after Those Who Slither In The Dark, since El straight up says at the end that she plans to go after them