Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Part of this comes down to the format. This is a show that's mostly designed to be accessible, to be picked up and watched year round and for kids to not feel like they've missed too much. This isn't the type of anime that's meant to be highly serialized and even under Takeshi Shudo it was never really meant to be.

Obviously they'll do a storyarc when they feel so inclined, and both SuMo and XY embraced that to a greater degree than previous seasons, but in general, the anime is about a character having multiple adventures every week. It's never gonna be the same kind of story as the self contained plots of the games, or the serialized ongoing plots of Pokemon Adventures (which I've felt have gotten way too complicated for their own good for the last few arcs). But that doesn't mean there's no merits to be found in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds meh.

Has the Pokemon TV anime ever had a villain who was a serious threat and had some nuance to their characterization?

Hunter J in Sinnoh, who died horrifically by getting shot out of the sky in her airship and drowning in a whirlpool. Her glasses even bob to the surface.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

she's not really nuanced, I'd argue

but still how hosed up is it that the Lake Trio basically just murdered her and her men in revenge?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

she's not really nuanced, I'd argue

but still how hosed up is it that the Lake Trio basically just murdered her and her men in revenge?

How hosed is it she had no problem attempting to murder people with her pokemon? And not efficiently either, she had her drapion take it's time crushing Ash to death.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Part of this comes down to the format. This is a show that's mostly designed to be accessible, to be picked up and watched year round and for kids to not feel like they've missed too much. This isn't the type of anime that's meant to be highly serialized and even under Takeshi Shudo it was never really meant to be.

Obviously they'll do a storyarc when they feel so inclined, and both SuMo and XY embraced that to a greater degree than previous seasons, but in general, the anime is about a character having multiple adventures every week. It's never gonna be the same kind of story as the self contained plots of the games, or the serialized ongoing plots of Pokemon Adventures (which I've felt have gotten way too complicated for their own good for the last few arcs). But that doesn't mean there's no merits to be found in it.

Obviously I do think there are merits to be found in the Pokemon anime, or I wouldn't still be watching it. It's just that in general, I'm better at articulating what a story does wrong than what it does right, and I'm being more negative about it than usual lately because I really do think BW isn't as well-written as AG and DP were.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That too is hosed up

But she's not a seemingly innocent and wise fairy monster from the dawn of time blowing up a bunch of people who hurt them after they've already gotten away and don't really need to worry about her anymore

It's like, you'd expect them to be all about stopping the cycle of violence and forgiveness or something but nope, the floating Muppets want blood

Bonnie cheerfully encouraging Squishy and Z2 to nuke Lysandre into oblivion has the same energy

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

That too is hosed up

But she's not a seemingly innocent and wise fairy monster from the dawn of time blowing up a bunch of people who hurt them after they've already gotten away and don't really need to worry about her anymore

It's like, you'd expect them to be all about stopping the cycle of violence and forgiveness or something but nope, the floating Muppets want blood

Bonnie cheerfully encouraging Squishy and Z2 to nuke Lysandre into oblivion has the same energy

I'd reckon since said floating muppets constructed the human psyche they knew drat well she'd probably come back to finish the job. I never thought of the cute legendaries as wholly benevolent. They will absolutely gently caress you up if they feel it's justified.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, but it's not something you'd expect is more my point, and the anime had up till that point conditioned you to think she'd just disappear into the sunset or something.

Hell, even Mewtwo let Giovanni live.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I'd argue that Hunter J is actually improved for her simplicity. She's a dark villain, but she's not megalomaniacal or anything. She's just a ruthless no-nonsense mercenary who's got no problems with killing. She's out for a paycheck. She's hired for a job, she'll do the job she's given and get paid for it, and if someone tries to get in her way, she removes them from her way in the most convenient way available, only taking more effort-requiring methods when someone proves to be a repetitive pain in her rear end.

I'd argue that making her a more complex character would make her weaker. Why do we need to know why she's okay with killing? She's a mercenary working for the highest bidder. Do we need to know what she does with her profit outside of business-related ventures? She's Hunter J.

So long as the pay's good, she delivers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I'd argue that Hunter J is actually improved for her simplicity. She's a dark villain, but she's not megalomaniacal or anything. She's just a ruthless no-nonsense mercenary who's got no problems with killing. She's out for a paycheck. She's hired for a job, she'll do the job she's given and get paid for it, and if someone tries to get in her way, she removes them from her way in the most convenient way available, only taking more effort-requiring methods when someone proves to be a repetitive pain in her rear end.

I'd argue that making her a more complex character would make her weaker. Why do we need to know why she's okay with killing? She's a mercenary working for the highest bidder. Do we need to know what she does with her profit outside of business-related ventures? She's Hunter J.

So long as the pay's good, she delivers.

And that would be fine if it was just her, but Giovanni, Archie, Maxie, etc. don’t have any backstory either. Some of Kanto’s best episodes were the Team Rocket trio’s backstories...and then they never gave any of the other villains one.

Edit: Unless you count the Birth of Mewtwo Drama CD for Giovanni, but even that got retconned away.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 6, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, but it's not something you'd expect is more my point, and the anime had up till that point conditioned you to think she'd just disappear into the sunset or something.

Hell, even Mewtwo let Giovanni live.

Insofar as the anime's concerned absolutely. But every now and again they throw a curve ball at you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
a topic never pondered before, i'm sure: what's the ugliest generation in terms of starters and their evolutions (averaging every design in a gen)? have to say sun and moon feel like strong contenders. was thinking gen v too, but the base starters are too strong, imho

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sword Shield.
Grookey and Sobble look like poo poo, Scorbunny looks generic as hell

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rinkles posted:

a topic never pondered before, i'm sure: what's the ugliest generation in terms of starters and their evolutions (averaging every design in a gen)? have to say sun and moon feel like strong contenders. was thinking gen v too, but the base starters are too strong, imho

I know Popplio's whole line is kinda eh, but you'd better not be talking poo poo about best bird and John Cenya.

I feel like the stretch from Gen 4 to 6 is kind of eh to me in general. Torterra, Serperior, and Greninja are standouts in some seriously mediocre bunches, whereas most gens have at least two lines I can appreciate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rinkles posted:

UGLIEST? Ugliest is hard if you're factoring in the initial Pokemon becasue almost all of them are cute. There are a handful I don't really like (I'm looking at you Chimchar) but even most of the ones that grow into ugly Pokemon have cute starters.

I'd have to go with the ugliest to me in terms of their final evolutions, which I'd have to go with Ruby/Sapphire. I don't really like any of their final evos.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Bee posted:

I know Popplio's whole line is kinda eh, but you'd better not be talking poo poo about best bird and John Cenya.

The Popplio line is great, all the sun and moon starters are great :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

6 except for braixen and greninja

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sceptile just looks so loving unbalanced

Like I think Blaziken is great and Swamps is ok but woof

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol, as many opinions as pokemon. serperior a standout? (being snivy's uncle doesn't get you that far)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the only grass starter i dont adore is meganium, whom i hate

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no one adores chestnaught

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i love my bulletproof hedgehog son and his rounder little brothers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how do you pronounce this: Decidueye

e:oh i think i get what they were going for

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

deciduous and eye v easy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's actually owltair though

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rinkles posted:

Now that the latest Fire Emblem game's given me some voice acting to reference, pretty sure it's pronounced deci-doo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Blaziken sucks. Long stilt legged havin Digimon lookin rear end bitch

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzFab1izbg

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rinkles posted:

That's a tough one. Of the nine Gen 1 starter designs, only Venusaur is "ugly" (and probably intentionally so). The Gen 2 ones are mostly just a bit bland, but the "buttocks" (actually spinal spikes...probably) in Feraligatr's Gen 3 backsprite singlehandedly bring the Gen 2 starters down. Gen 3 starters are mostly cool-looking, but Combusken is really bad, and Swampert is also ugly. The Chimchar line is bland, but the other Gen 4 starters are fine. Gen 5 gives us two overdesigned final forms (Emboar and Samurott). Chesnaught is awkward-looking, but I really like Delphox and Greninja. Finally, Gen 7 gives us the horrifyingly humanoid Incineroar, and to a lesser extent Primarina.

I'd say Gen 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

huh, i'm quite fond of 3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Chesnaught looks like an armorknight from Fire Emblem, his design is great.

His middle form sucks though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Gen 1. I welcome the flaying that's soon to come my way. But other than that I usually have only one or two favorites among the starters each Gen. On rare occasions I may even like all of them. Sun and Moon were all outstanding in my opinion.

edit: Ah screw it. here's my list of favorites per Gen

Gen 1 Bulbasaur line

Gen 2 Totodile and Cyndaquil lines

Gen 3 Torchic line

Gen 4 Chimchar and Piplup line

Gen 5 Snivy line

Gen 6 Froakie line

Gen 7 All of them. All just perf

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 6, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
all the starters are great. all of them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleck posted:

all the starters are great. all of them but tepig

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oddium posted:

no one adores chestnaught

King of Solomon posted:

Chesnaught looks like an armorknight from Fire Emblem, his design is great.

heehee

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

oddium posted:

Owliver Queen. :colbert:

Rinkles posted:

lol, as many opinions as pokemon. serperior a standout? (being snivy's uncle doesn't get you that far)

Serperior is a fantastic design. It's just, y'know, not great in battle.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oddium posted:

Owliver Queen

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Chesnaught is ugly, but shiny Chesnaught looks good and obviously should have been the default but someone hosed up.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

His middle form sucks though.

Nobody ever cares about middle forms.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

qnqnx posted:

Nobody ever cares about middle forms.

People care about grovyle a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The real worst starter is Bayleaf, which doesn't have Chikorita's cuteness and is just a watered down Meganium otherwise