Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They wont but totally could do an epilogue story dlc that deals with El and Byleth going after Those Who Slither In The Dark, since El straight up says at the end that she plans to go after them

They won't do that, and if they did it would probably piss a lot of people off because you do that in the Golden Deer route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Doing something about the creepy dark magic science terrorists" is that thing that Edelgard always swears she'll do next Friday but never does.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Blue Lions and Golden Deer spoilers- At first I thought it was weird that Claude just peaced out and left the Alliance to Dimitri but now that I know how his route goes I'm wondering if he didn't ally with Dimitri because he was busy looking into the history of the church/Those Who Slither in the Dark on his own. I'm just going to assume he went to take down the Slitherers after Dimitri finished the war, because he barely did anything onscreen in that route.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Should I even worry too much about monster fights? I have about half a million paralogues do. Do you even get anything worthwhile from monster battles?

Also this first one seems scary as it asks for level 20 and all my people (save Byleth/Dimitri) are around 15.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Sometimes you get rusted weapons that can forge into strong weapons but you might as well finish the paralogues first. They're time limited but new monster fights will appear eventually.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Should I even worry too much about monster fights? I have about half a million paralogues do. Do you even get anything worthwhile from monster battles?

Also this first one seems scary as it asks for level 20 and all my people (save Byleth/Dimitri) are around 15.

I didn't do a single optional battle that wasn't a paralogue or related to a quest and I did fine. There was a big difficulty spike at the halfway point and again at the end but it was fun levels of difficulty

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

the big thing is you get rusted weapons that can be turned into Silver or Legendary weapons

but Legendary weapon repairs cost a lot, require A+ professor level and you need really rare mosnter materials, and a lot of them. Feels like you really have to dedicate yourself to them to use any of tehse things.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

Monster fights are good for grinding out those materials for forging, but 80% of paralogues involve monster fights anyways

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Good to know. My takeaway - gently caress monster fights unless you literally have nothing else to do.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

They won't do that, and if they did it would probably piss a lot of people off because you do that in the Golden Deer route.

Yeah, i hate to agree. I still really enjoyed the Edelgard route but i wish they at least addressed Those Who Slither a bit more than "gg Byleth ur the best i <3 you btw we'll deal with that creepy magic cabal later . It just felt like "oh poo poo we gotta wrap this up so we can meet deadline"

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 6, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Uhhhh, Edelgard stuff She absolutely goes after the Slithers, that's why she goes to the one city, to kill Cornelia. I mean, I'll still absolutely agree that the finishing blow getting dumped in an ending slide is garbage and all though and it should have done been in the four missing chapters.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I also lol'ed at oh poo poo magical death beams just took out the fortress city welp on to Fhirdiad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I also lol'ed at oh poo poo magical death beams just took out the fortress city welp on to Fhirdiad

Yeah this was loving baffling and basically unacceptable writing

That's why I thought Ch18 couldnt possibly be the end. Like...we're gonna go back to what happened, right? The city? Surely there's more to that? No?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I've got a lot of catching up to do, but uhh did anyone else not realize you can run much faster than regular speed by holding down the B button?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Edelgard route: Yeah she goes after them briefly but we really should have at least killed Evil Uncle Arundel and some of the slitherers on screen- it's not all that satisfying to have most of that done offscreen, only mentioned in the epilogue. Even if they wanted it to be shorter than the others it could have done with a bit more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have a jillion stat boosts because i dont wanna go to the trouble of figuring out who needs what

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

i have a jillion stat boosts because i dont wanna go to the trouble of figuring out who needs what

Feed them to your fav.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Super No Vacancy posted:

give them all to your best flyer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

honestly game is kinda too easy anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I swear if the story DLC ends up being a few more chapters for Edelgard's route where you finish off Those Who Slither In The Dark it'll be the dumbest poo poo, especially because that's already a route in the game. That said, that part not being in Edelgard's route is a really glaring omission and makes the whole thing feel really abrupt and weird. It's very strange that the whole ending slide thing for the Edelgard route is just "and then they did the thing you do in the Golden Deer route."

That said, I think I'd prefer that over a hypothetical Revelations-style "unite everyone" route if I had to choose, but both would be pretty bad.

What I'm really hoping for is something like the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC, a totally separate story that takes place in a different time, years earlier maybe. If they could somehow make a DLC that comes after the story and somehow works after every route that'd be cool, too, but that seems... difficult.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 6, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a reward for keeping Gilbert alive during Chap 5

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Harrow posted:

What I'm really hoping for is something like the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC, a totally separate story that takes place in a different time, years earlier maybe. If they could somehow make a DLC that comes after the story and somehow works after every route that'd be cool, too, but that seems... difficult.

Maybe they could do a prequel DLC that expands on all the backstory books in the library, culminating in the fight between Seiros and Nemesis in the opening?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
claude gets poo poo done, obviously

#deer

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does the attack speed double attack work for bows?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wildtortilla posted:

Does the attack speed double attack work for bows?

indeed it does. most combat arts won't double though

my only regret in this run is that I didn't teach Hubert any faith spells. would have been nice to get a second healer on a map

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 6, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flayn owns. She used reverse psychology to get Felix to do her chores.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bows are stupid good this time around, too.

Balance-wise, easy availability of Close Counter, Bowrange, and Canto really shifted things a lot in favor of bows and mounted units. I'm not actually sure how I feel about it, but bows clearly did need a bit of a boost. Every mounted unit having Canto by default I'm a little bit more iffy about because it's a huge advantage. Though I guess in a game with Lysithea + Thyrsus, "you can move again after attacking" isn't the craziest advantage.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've forgotten if in the tellius games, mounted units could equip a different weapon after attacking

since that's not the case anymore and it's caught me off guard once or twice

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not sure what to train Marianne in. My plan is to have her heal, so obviously reason, but I'm not sure about the other skills. I'm planning to have a my dancer be a back up healer, and I'm using Lorenz and Lysithea as offensive magic users. Any suggestions? She's still on the default Lance + Faith skill combo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm not sure what to train Marianne in. My plan is to have her heal, so obviously reason, but I'm not sure about the other skills. I'm planning to have a my dancer be a back up healer, and I'm using Lorenz and Lysithea as offensive magic users. Any suggestions? She's still on the default Lance + Faith skill combo.

I went Lance, Faith, and Riding so she could be a Holy Knight. She gets good Faith attack magic, too, so she can be a pretty powerful and mobile healer/caster.

Alternatively, just keep her as a Bishop or train both Faith and Reason so she can be a Gremory and have double the white magic casts per map.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i had marianne take the holy knight path so she's got a C in lances and a B/A in riding in addition to hitting A+ in faith naturally, but only being able to physic 5 times per map as a holy knight sucks and i wish i'd had her focus on black magic so she could go gremory post-timeskip, instead of riding

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

General dumb post-Chapter 9ish question: Does Byleth bleed, given that they don't have a heartbeat? Hanneman mentions using their blood for research so I assume they have that, but the image of them getting poked full of holes and walking it off is really funny. Probably hard to hide as a mercenary, so maybe that's why Hanneman's support mentions their fellow mercenaries finding them scary as gently caress :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What did people do with Lorenz? He got RNG-screwed in my run so I ended up benching him, but he seems sort of confusingly positioned as either a mounted knight-type unit or a caster. I guess you could go Dark Knight?

tudabee posted:

General dumb post-Chapter 9ish question: Does Byleth bleed, given that they don't have a heartbeat? Hanneman mentions using their blood for research so I assume they have that, but the image of them getting poked full of holes and walking it off is really funny. Probably hard to hide as a mercenary, so maybe that's why Hanneman's support mentions their fellow mercenaries finding them scary as gently caress :v:

Speculation: Jeralt's diary mentioned Byleth has a pulse, but not a heartbeat, so blood flows through their body for one reason or another. Their heart is totally still but blood still flows as if it was beating.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Harrow posted:

Speculation: Jeralt's diary mentioned Byleth has a pulse, but not a heartbeat, so blood flows through their body for one reason or another. Their heart is totally still but blood still flows as if it was beating.

Oh, that makes sense (in a manner of speaking). I must have missed that part of the whole no-heartbeat thing!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Wildtortilla posted:

Her reason-based spell list kinda sucks, but if you get swords to C you can just toss her a levin sword. A forged one has a 1-3 range and she has a good magic growth.

Lorenz will probably end up disappointing for you, he usually seems to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tudabee posted:

Oh, that makes sense (in a manner of speaking). I must have missed that part of the whole no-heartbeat thing!

Really it feels kind of like a weird detail. My guess is they threw in that Byleth still has a pulse so that it'd be somewhat less confusing that they hadn't noticed their lack of heartbeat before this. But whatever, it's magic, what are you gonna do?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Her reason-based spell list kinda sucks, but if you get swords to C you can just toss her a levin sword. A forged one has a 1-3 range and she has a good magic growth.

Lorenz will probably end up disappointing for you, he usually seems to.

Marianne can also get a relic sword, so leveling her swords is a decent idea.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Lorenz ended up as a Dark Knight for me. His stats are very middle of the road in a House full of specialized units, and about the only worthwhile thing he had for me was good Res gains so he was able to tank Mages (and even then Hilda and Raphael had enough HP that they could also tank Mages too)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Someone in here mentioned they don’t cook multiple meals unless they want to “change buffs” and I just wanted to say, they stack, and boy do they stack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Lorenz ended up as a Dark Knight for me. His stats are very middle of the road in a House full of specialized units, and about the only worthwhile thing he had for me was good Res gains so he was able to tank Mages (and even then Hilda and Raphael had enough HP that they could also tank Mages too)

Marianne turned out to be my mage tank. Spells just bounce right off her, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

tudabee posted:

It was mentioned that she has a pulse

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was typing out my edit and thinking about it...do we know why the crest experimentation made her want to take out the Church? Like, why does she think the church is so evil when her uncle is a billion times worse? I was expecting the game to go for another six chapters like all the others where you transition into fighting Slytherin, but uhhhhh you don't ever. Like, how is the person who tortured Edelgard not her final boss

I have barely gotten to protecting flame emperor scene, but from dialogues from students/teachers/etc, it seems that Rhea basically has been ruling the Empire, Kingdom and Golden Allience since before they existed, to the point that she has chosen their territories so that they have the school right at the border of the three.

From other people talking, it seems that she has gone on purge whenever people's tech went too high, and she is behind the whole 'crest are needed for nobility' thing in order to create stagnation and human suffering. She REALLY didn't take well Sothis' murder