Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Oriental Hugs posted:

What mod pack had you re claiming a world that was filled with cursed blocks? And you had to plant flowers to clear them.

Blightfall, using Thaumcraft as its main mod and some additional custom code to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blightfall

E: dammit new page

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Oriental Hugs posted:

What mod pack had you re claiming a world that was filled with cursed blocks? And you had to plant flowers to clear them.

Almost certainly Blightfall on the Technic Launcher. Heavy on Thaumcraft, had botania and blood magic as 2 other major magic mods and some tech mods. You used ethereal blooms to clear taint you get further in Thaumcraft and get better methods.

If you remember glass domes for bases, it was definitely Blightfall

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Are there any graphic improvement mods that are compatible with vanilla servers? Ideally something in the vein of GLSL, if perhaps not that impressive.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Are there any graphic improvement mods that are compatible with vanilla servers? Ideally something in the vein of GLSL, if perhaps not that impressive.

Most mods that could be counted as graphics improvements are compatible with vanilla servers. Optifine, shaders, Better Foliage, etc. - anything that only affects the rendering on your side of the client-server connection is highly likely to work without any problems.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's the best way to collect blood in Volcano Block? Can't make a mob tower for blood splatters, and directly gathering blood by fighting monsters seems a bit slow.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

What's the best way to collect blood in Volcano Block? Can't make a mob tower for blood splatters, and directly gathering blood by fighting monsters seems a bit slow.
I probably missed a better option but personally I just combined a blood syringe or whatever it's called with a dark tank so I could store a ton in my inventory, then stood and hacked at spawning enemies for about a minute or two. Some enemies (e.g. tougher ones like endermen) seem to give more blood than say, passive mobs would.
It really helps to have a spawner room set up with conveyors and the like, so you can funnel mobs immediately to a spot where you can just stand still and hit them without being hit back. Goes pretty quick, especially if you've juiced up your spawner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, I forgot about this thread. Is there a mod that creates some kind of lava sponge that works with Life In The Woods Renaissance (Minecraft 1.7.10)? Or something that makes removal of lava easier? Right now I'm just going into creative mode with an empty bucket, but this understandably takes a long time still and can get really tedious(right now I'm clearing a section of the lava ocean in the nether for...reasons) and I recall a long time ago a modpack I used, but forget the name of, had a lava sponge that erased all lava blocks within a 7 block radius.

Also, guessing LITWR is never going to be updated again, are there any similar expansive survival-centric(not ridiculously elaborate tech/redstone-focused mods but just expanding all the biomes, blocks, etc like LITWR does) modpacks like it for more recent versions of minecraft?

And this has probably been asked a bunch but it's been 8000 posts since I last read the thread, but will the non-java version of minecraft ever be moddable? Have they said either way? I popped it on recently and boy, the absurdly fast loading chunks and stuff sure are nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I forgot about this thread. Is there a mod that creates some kind of lava sponge that works with Life In The Woods Renaissance (Minecraft 1.7.10)? Or something that makes removal of lava easier? Right now I'm just going into creative mode with an empty bucket, but this understandably takes a long time still and can get really tedious(right now I'm clearing a section of the lava ocean in the nether for...reasons) and I recall a long time ago a modpack I used, but forget the name of, had a lava sponge that erased all lava blocks within a 7 block radius.

I should update my old mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGuGJuvaxk

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, guessing LITWR is never going to be updated again, are there any similar expansive survival-centric(not ridiculously elaborate tech/redstone-focused mods but just expanding all the biomes, blocks, etc like LITWR does) modpacks like it for more recent versions of minecraft?

And this has probably been asked a bunch but it's been 8000 posts since I last read the thread, but will the non-java version of minecraft ever be moddable? Have they said either way? I popped it on recently and boy, the absurdly fast loading chunks and stuff sure are nice.

Odds on the bedrock version being as moddable as the Java one are about 0%. It has never been a priority of Mojang and considering the store in the bedrock version, if they did you would expects mods to only end up there. This would mean that we would be unlikely to ever see modpacks in bedrock even if they allowed for modding.

I started playing Dungeons, Dragon, and Space Shuttles and skeletons are loving insane in this pack with their machine gun fire. This is also the only pack I've played with Ice and Fire that I've ever bothered actually getting a Hippogryph. Sure they're no jetpack, but they are early flight and roaming the land at night is a no go. This pack does the usual recipe change to make things require more/different resources, but also makes the world (at night) and the nether actually dangerous. If you want to do anything in the nether you better have a way of dealing with the swarms of juggernauts that love to swarm you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I haven't played volcano block so ignore me if I'm wildly misunderstanding or the relevant mods aren't in for the following. That said! If Blood Arsenal and... I think TiCon are both in, glass shards on top of graveyard soil with a zombie boxed in will give you a massive stream of passive blood magic blood and is VERY easy to set up. Worst part about it is that it has to be within about two blocks of the peak of the blood altar, but it's an absolute fire hose of life essence, and I've been able to use life essence as an equivalent to the other various bloods in a couple modpacks

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

I haven't played volcano block so ignore me if I'm wildly misunderstanding or the relevant mods aren't in for the following. That said! If Blood Arsenal and... I think TiCon are both in, glass shards on top of graveyard soil with a zombie boxed in will give you a massive stream of passive blood magic blood and is VERY easy to set up. Worst part about it is that it has to be within about two blocks of the peak of the blood altar, but it's an absolute fire hose of life essence, and I've been able to use life essence as an equivalent to the other various bloods in a couple modpacks

I need Evilcraft blood, and there's no blood magic, blood arsenal or ticon.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ah, drat. Evilcraft blood is a loving pain. Last time I dealt with it I put a bed at the top of a long drop and killed myself like fifty time and scooped up the blood splats, and never figured out a better way to get it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The typical way to get evilcraft blood is by using the spiked plate to kill mobs from some kind of mob farm, and a sanguinary pedestal underneath or nearby or whatever.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The typical way to get evilcraft blood is by using the spiked plate to kill mobs from some kind of mob farm, and a sanguinary pedestal underneath or nearby or whatever.

In Volcano Block, mobs don't spawn naturally, so you have to use Soulus to spawn them. I guess I could set up a spiked plate so I don't have to kill the mobs myself, but I'd still need to stand near the spawner (the spawner activation range can get pretty big with murky orbs of course)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, poo poo, that'd be preferable to manually removing it. :v:

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Make a Soulus zombie spawner and kill them with the Vein Sword you get from the quest reward while you have the extractor in your inventory
At some point you can use vector plates to push the zombies to an Evilcraft spiked plate on top of a pedestal. If you put an Evilcraft tank next to it it'll fill from the pedestal.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

Make a Soulus zombie spawner and kill them with the Vein Sword you get from the quest reward while you have the extractor in your inventory
At some point you can use vector plates to push the zombies to an Evilcraft spiked plate on top of a pedestal. If you put an Evilcraft tank next to it it'll fill from the pedestal.

I don't see a vein sword reward anywhere, but that does look useful so I'll make one.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

I don't see a vein sword reward anywhere, but that does look useful so I'll make one.

My bad. I know I had one and assumed it made me do it.
You'll want to get a plate and pedestal as soon as you can though, they are pretty good and provide a ton of blood.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Welp, the vein sword only has 32 durability. It does boost blood gains by a lot, but it costs dark gems which are a bit hard to come by in Volcano Block.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

Welp, the vein sword only has 32 durability. It does boost blood gains by a lot, but it costs dark gems which are a bit hard to come by in Volcano Block.

You can repair it with blood in the blood chest, which I think has a chance of cursing it or something but that's never actually happened to any of my stuff. Plus there's a purifier that can remove the curses later.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Automating ores is something you should tackle as soon as possible in VB, you'll end up with more dark gems than you know what to do with. It took me forever to notice that the hot air mod actually has its own insert/transfer items or I'd have been pumping in stone and out ores way sooner, since I ended up with a surplus of primordium and crystals early on.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really want to like Sevtech Ages, but the mandatory dungeon crawling/boss fights you get saddled with in Age 2 completely kill all my enthusiasm from the early game. If there was something like Ages that had the gated tech progression without the weird adventure mode bullshit detours I'd play the hell out of it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

I really want to like Sevtech Ages, but the mandatory dungeon crawling/boss fights you get saddled with in Age 2 completely kill all my enthusiasm from the early game. If there was something like Ages that had the gated tech progression without the weird adventure mode bullshit detours I'd play the hell out of it.

I don't remember any mandatory boss fights or dungeon crawling?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least betweenlands is novel. i'm really, really tired of Twilight Forest because everything's just big and takes forever for no reason

i'll never not cheat through the crimson towers or whatever they're called

EDIT:

McFrugal posted:

I don't remember any mandatory boss fights or dungeon crawling?

you have to do betweenlands stuff (but not much) to get access to various TCon functions, and you have to progress in TF through to the crimson towers to start in on power generation

you can then go harder on them to get the stuff to unlock journeymap earlier but that is optional

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Doing Twilight Forest once was enough for me, probably.

Betweenlands on the other hand I really love and the alchemy system is pretty cool.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh right, the ur-ghast. Yeah, that's an awful thing to put as required progression.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 12, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For betweenlands and TF you can save yourself a ton of pain by crafting a slime sling, slimy boots, wolf boots, and climbing gloves. Use the slime sling and boots to travel long distances fast, wolf boots for overland speed and no fall damage, and climbing gloves to scale straight past all the obstacles to get to bosses.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks to Mehall and many hours of constant searching/mining I have finally begun construction on my new underground lair :D

My bedroom with my lava rug and storage caches + all those wonderful machines!

The staircase to my mine shaft.

The mine shaft itself! :D Lots of smelting sand!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Mehall and many hours of constant searching/mining I have finally begun construction on my new underground lair :D

Fancy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

http://www.minecraftmaps.com/survival-maps/falling-falling
So there's this pretty cool gimmick map called Falling Falling that advertises itself as an alternate way to play, in the same way that skyblock is. You start on a flat, border-locked island you can't leave (but you can change the size before starting), and blocks of all kinds rain from the sky. Dirt and stone are common, iron ore less so, diamonds and the like very rare. Occasionally some plants or even animals will fall, and on rarest occasion I found a wooden barrel full of dungeon loot. It's pretty interesting and very different from anything I've played, and is the first in a while to get me to actually give 1.14 a try, since I can't play without mods.*

It's fun stuff so far, though I've really just started. The size of the island you pick is hugely important because you get the same rate of falling blocks over the whole island no matter its size. So a 100x100 will create areas of deposits, and certain places will pile up faster (especially if bamboo falls, since blocks can fall on those), but a small 25x25 will get completely buried fast. In either case, a lot of this gamemode is about not just gathering resources but managing your environment. You can prevent buildup by placing torches or half-slabs, which will prevent new blocks from being placed (but they also won't drop anything). In larger maps, a clear area or 'moat' around your starter base might help a lot. In smaller maps, you're more likely going to end up making a subterranean base with an access tunnel. But seeing how everybody makes their world work is part of the real fun here, and it's so different from anything I've played I'm curious how others will tackle it.

All that said, I feel like a few shortcomings could really be helped by mods, so fingers crossed this sort of map gets remastered as a modpack someday.

*I did install Fabric and an inventory sorter mod called Mouse Wheelies, just because having no inventory/chest sorting drives me up the loving wall. Still, missing Quark's "sort to nearby chests" button is a bit difficult.
E: Whoops got the modloader name wrong, repeatedly.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 14, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

http://www.minecraftmaps.com/survival-maps/falling-falling
So there's this pretty cool gimmick map called Falling Falling that advertises itself as an alternate way to play, in the same way that skyblock is. You start on a flat, border-locked island you can't leave (but you can change the size before starting), and blocks of all kinds rain from the sky. Dirt and stone are common, iron ore less so, diamonds and the like very rare. Occasionally some plants or even animals will fall, and on rarest occasion I found a wooden barrel full of dungeon loot. It's pretty interesting and very different from anything I've played, and is the first in a while to get me to actually give 1.14 a try, since I can't play without mods.*

It's fun stuff so far, though I've really just started. The size of the island you pick is hugely important because you get the same rate of falling blocks over the whole island no matter its size. So a 100x100 will create areas of deposits, and certain places will pile up faster (especially if bamboo falls, since blocks can fall on those), but a small 25x25 will get completely buried fast. In either case, a lot of this gamemode is about not just gathering resources but managing your environment. You can prevent buildup by placing torches or half-slabs, which will prevent new blocks from being placed (but they also won't drop anything). In larger maps, a clear area or 'moat' around your starter base might help a lot. In smaller maps, you're more likely going to end up making a subterranean base with an access tunnel. But seeing how everybody makes their world work is part of the real fun here, and it's so different from anything I've played I'm curious how others will tackle it.

All that said, I feel like a few shortcomings could really be helped by mods, so fingers crossed this sort of map gets remastered as a modpack someday.

*I did install Faucet and an inventory sorter mod called Mouse Wheelies, just because having no inventory/chest sorting drives me up the loving wall. Still, missing Quark's "sort to nearby chests" button is a bit difficult.

Annnnnnd, how do i install this. multimc just threw it back at me :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Via MultiMC:
Make a new instance (1.14.4), optionally edit that instance to install Fabric and any Fabric mods you want.
Extract the above file to your save folder (it's a map, not a mod).
Load that save, play it.
Use the "Gamerules" signboard on the left side of the intro area to customize your world size and game options.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ohh cool. ty.

Any other mods i should drop in?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've got Lumberjack for tree chopping and Mouse Wheelies for pseudo-InventoryTweaks functionality, but I couldn't find anything else that jumped out at me and worked for 1.14.4 Fabric. Not a lot of lists that seemed to work either.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Enjoying the DW20 LP of Dungeons dragons and space. Looks interesting but far too over the top recipes for me to play.
I'll stick to watching it though.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

Enjoying the DW20 LP of Dungeons dragons and space. Looks interesting but far too over the top recipes for me to play.
I'll stick to watching it though.

I got to the choice between RS and AE2 and just gave up. It was just too many steps of crafting to just get anything. X needs y, z, a, and b. y requires c and d, d required f, etc. It was like trying to make a 64k drive for AE2 except less shared ingredients and without auto crafting.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'm missing something, is Fabric the Forge equivalent for .14?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Danny Glands posted:

I'm missing something, is Fabric the Forge equivalent for .14?

I think it's just a second mod framework. It's been around longer than 1.14 Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's mostly being mentioned because Forge isn't really an option for 1.14 [yet].