Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lambert posted:

Probably about those fake meat startups that are currently all the rage, right-wingers really are in an uproar about the concept.

Are they? I haven't seen this one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

Are they? I haven't seen this one before.

I've certainly noticed it on a few right-wing podcasts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lambert posted:

I've certainly noticed it on a few right-wing podcasts.

You're listening to right-wing podcasts? Why? More than one, no less.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
dont kink shame

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Pouring Liquids

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hank hill would never eat an impossible burger

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Shame Boy posted:

it's the weirdest goddamn thing to be mad at too because, like, these products were made for assholes like you who absolutely refuse to accept any even slight change in your standard of living for any reason. look, here's a burger that is exactly like the poo poo you're used to eating so you don't have to compromise and eat those wussy tofu burgers or whatever it is you think hippies eat

i need to know that something animate died to make the poo poo i'm eating

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

You're listening to right-wing podcasts? Why? More than one, no less.

Some kind of self-flagellation as penance for my sins.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shame Boy posted:

it's the weirdest goddamn thing to be mad at too because, like, these products were made for assholes like you who absolutely refuse to accept any even slight change in your standard of living for any reason. look, here's a burger that is exactly like the poo poo you're used to eating so you don't have to compromise and eat those wussy tofu burgers or whatever it is you think hippies eat

i'm not mad at the concept but i'd never eat something like that. if it wasn't mooing/clucking/oinking at some point then it weirds me out. it's just not the same thing

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Anyone else still finding it hard to talk to anyone IRL about bitcoin? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 17 hours ago by lechoirboy

I live in Silicon Valley, global HQ for crazy ideas and innovation (some may argue that fact now a days) and people still feel burned from the ‘17-‘18 crash. I can’t say anything about bitcoin or share/connect/talk to people about what I’m learning and hear from others about what they’re learning. Anyone else finding it hard to connect with bitcoin believers post-bear market? You’d think people would be more chill about it now that it’s leveled out again price wise...

Subfolded 19 points 17 hours ago

Consider yourself lucky for even knowing people who bought in the first place... If you don't count online people you will never meet, then I swear I'm the only person in the planet who knows what Bitcoin even is.

lechoirboy[S] 4 points 17 hours ago

When I learned about bitcoin I couldn’t help but tel all my friends about it lol. Some probably bought because of me. And therefore lost because of me?

** that’s when I realized why my friends won’t talk to me about bitcoin ** lol

iambabyjesus90 2 points 12 hours ago*

They only lost if they sold and that’s 100% on them. The are weak hands that needed to be shaken out.

bearCatBird 1 point 13 hours ago

I have rounds of friends for each bubble. The ones above water love me. The ones below are a little antsy. Give it time. They’ll come around. If they held, they’ll love you. If they sold at the bottom, they’ll resent you. Always good to say “don’t invest a lot. Just dollar cost average in a little bit.”

N0tMyRealAcct 2 points 13 hours ago

I gave a little to my parents and my little brother so I had them to talk with at least. We aren’t past price talk and into technical stuff.
But it is at least fun to be able to share happiness and despair.

dekogeko 9 points 15 hours ago

About a month ago I casually mentioned out loud - to myself, mostly - how bitcoin had breached 10k and someone actually replied, "Why do you think I would be in any way interested in that?" So screw 'em, I keep it to myself now.

edit: this was at work, I was at my desk, others were around. I work in tech with a lot of engineers and not one is invested in crypto.

lechoirboy[S] 2 points 13 hours ago

It’s vitriol. That’s the vibe I get from others in tech about bitcoin. Like that person didn’t have to say anything but they had to signal to you that they hated it lol.

jaumenuez 2 points 13 hours ago

To understand bitcoin it's not enough to be an tech engineer. Also talking about your bitcoin investments is never a good idea. Think about it, if you are smart enough, it's better to look uninterested.

N0tMyRealAcct 1 point 13 hours ago

It’s probably the no-coiner grumpiness of just wishing for it to go away.

Dartagnonymous 3 points 16 hours ago

I’ll bet a lot of people who don’t want to talk about bitcoin are just secretly hodling.

ducksauce88 3 points 14 hours ago

My friends tell me I'm a gambler and that I got lucky. Bitch, knowledge is power. I've given them all the knowledge and tools and they still can't understand my simple rear end explanations about inflation, the gov/fed, and the bullshit the banks do. These same people don't trust the government, but then with money they just blindly follow. It makes no sense. I've tried to help and I gave up. So I just "lucky" after watching ever single video on Andres Antonopolous YT back in early 2017. I was buying like a fied after intro to Bitcoin. The tech is cool sure, but I'm here for thT hard money. ₿uy ₿itcoin.

bryanlinton2 2 points 14 hours ago

Lol I joke with my other BTC friends about this. Totally fine being considered lucky with a lot more money than those that consider the knowledgeable ones “lucky”. They will continue to miss things like this in the future and be “unlucky”

Rickh8891redditor for 3 months 2 points 16 hours ago

I just spark it up randomly in conversations especially if we’re talking about the Economy and money then I’ll try and lead the conversation there lol. I’ve found out unsurprisingly a lot of professionals hodl but they just keep it to themselves. I believe there was an article out by grayscale to confirm that, that “well read” people are morely likely to hodl.

You just gota talk to em, preferably professionals

supergrass77 2 points 11 hours ago

One of the best indicators Bitcoin is going to blast past $20k is that it is holding $10k and nobody even talks about it. All the block chain hype of 2017 and ICO frenzy is over. Bitcoin is quietly kicking rear end and taking names as the alts die and the Federal Reserve and goverment are pinning themselves into a corner where they are going issue more debt and more Fiat money. This year and next year will be great for Bitcoin.

Once the herd comes back the party will be over until enough of them die out from their poor choices and bad behaviors.

flowbrother 2 points 5 hours ago

This is a heart warming post to me.

It is great to find out that silicon valley knuckleheads got burnt in the 17-18 'crash'.

Hilarious really, both because they think that was a crash and because the greedy privileged scum that is steadily selling us all out got their fingers burned.

Anyway, great news to us non Umercan , non-alignment with big-tech world view people who are 100% in Bitcoin and already joined the ranks of the unbanked.

mr_li_jr 1 point 7 hours ago

I guess SV thrives on people acting like they know the future and can see what's coming, so people who got burned in the crash don't want to admit it or talk about it, because it makes them look like they have less foresight than they want to display.

NiceAccountName 1 point 14 hours ago

My friends all told me I was stupid for buying bitcoin this year, so I make sure to remind them how well it's doing whenever possible.

NiceAccountName [score hidden] 41 minutes ago

Yeah, I can understand why you'd say that.

However, these friends were very smug about it. "It's fake money" "It's a Ponzi scheme" "It's going to zero"

I tried calmly explaining blockchain, tried explaining macroeconomic trends that it would benefit from. They just dug in even deeper.

Now I just send them memes.

MadMuffins 1 point 10 hours ago

I brought it up to a coworker and she started talking about her uncle's stamp collection, so it really made me feel like we're far from large scale adoption. Just more time to stack sats I guess.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

...! posted:

i'm not mad at the concept but i'd never eat something like that. if it wasn't mooing/clucking/oinking at some point then it weirds me out. it's just not the same thing

You're on the carnivore diet?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158408867052707842
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158361530796318722
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158356939195240449
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158070406760341510
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158137719773700096
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1158048334730485765

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"I can only consume things that have been murdered."
~.. "satoshi" .!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what is sad is that at equal quantities, both impossible and beyond burger have more fat, more carbs, and more calories than even 85% ground beef

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

"I can only consume things that have been murdered."
~.. "satoshi" .!

yep

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

we finally found why bitcoiners hate water so much

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Getting tired of negative critique (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 1 day ago by JohnWickPickleDick

Starting to get tired of my friends taking the piss out of me for investing in bitcoin, even if i ask if they know any cheap restaurants nearby and saying that I'm losing money, I'm actually in profit, it's not much but I've got somewhere.

I'd need something nuclear to shut them up, like a lambo.

I wonder how Michael Burry felt when everyone was making GBS threads on him for predicting the housing crisis.

Sorry for ranting, no one else I know respects or understands bitcoin.

JohnWickPickleDick[S] 1 point 23 hours ago

It's pretty normal for it to happen but I've never had to deal with critique like this before, even when I make profit their still against it. I guess that's a weird social defect we all have. Like when someone predicts the end of the world.

JohnWickPickleDick[S] 1 point 22 hours ago

Like talking to a brick wall, one of my friends has a masters in English literature so I'd expect at least some intelligence

veganic11redditor for 3 months 2 points 1 day ago

Don't worry brother, you/the hodlers will be the last to laugh. If it does become unbearable just don't hang out with the people who deep down are jealous they didn't get into bitcoin when you did. This may sound though but if people don't respect you, you ought to consider if you want to keep them around.

Godzilla89 2 points 19 hours ago

I thought it was good to educate, but it came back to bite me in the rear end. The friends I told mocked me, told me I was stupid and wasting my money, and I should put my money into a house, cause housing has gone up for the last 50 years and will always continue to go up. If I had of listen to them I would already be slightly negative, instead ive already made huge gains (for a conventional market)

I dont talk to those friends anymore because of other toxic behavior....so just be careful who you tell

JohnWickPickleDick[S] 1 point 1 day ago

They always do it, gonna have to take it for now and then hadouken it back to them when it becomes mainstream

JohnWickPickleDick[S] 3 points 23 hours ago

I think that might be one of the reasons, I'm more successful than them financially so they must be jealous in a way

maxcoinerredditor for 3 months 1 point 15 hours ago

I'd use the "Do you know how jelly you sound right now?" line on them.

When they inevitably ask how you can think they're jealous, remind them that you're up, and then ask them how well their investments are performing.

zomgitsduke 5 points 1 day ago

Just tell them you sold it at a decent profit and stop talking about it.

Then, if the price does skyrocket and they tease you about selling, you can whip out the "I lied to shut you up. I knew what I was investing in." Or make them feel really really guilty for convincing you to sell, and now it's at a new ATH.

vexcoinredditor for 6 weeks 4 points 21 hours ago

I see your problem; you want them involved and you want them to be taken care of too, so you try to show them how well you are doing and try to get them on board. Most people do not take this level of someone caring about them easily, and as such they think it is a scam. Your actions of being helpful come across as being a scam - not because of you or anything like that, but because normally, humans don't selflessly help another person.

Your best bet is to try to educate them by asking questions, like, "Hey do you guys know where money comes from?" And "What does it mean the Fed lowered interest rates?" Questions will sit with them. You have to find questions that erode their idea of what money is and approach it as if you are planting the seeds of doubt in their mind regarding what money actually is. These seeds of doubt are actually truths but you have to present them in ways where they answer the question, not you.

Your intentions are good, your approach needs more tact! Good luck.

WahmboCombo 1 point 23 hours ago

You could give them a tiny bit and then they might have some skin in the game. If they get excited when their 20 turns to 40 it’d be hard to criticize your gains/losses. Not a free idea, but an idea

crossthrowsredditor for 3 months 1 point 21 hours ago

They’re just jealous they don’t have as much interest in getting into bitcoin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

we finally found why bitcoiners hate water so much

keep talkin and ur next on my "good eating" list :getin:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Shame Boy posted:

having done a side-by-side of Beyond Meat in a burger, the taste and texture both fall short. that said, its a more viable alternative than we have had in the past.

i know a guy who owns a couple hundred head of cattle, and his take on the new fake meats was "the corporations finally found a way to make pig feed appealing to people"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chocobo posted:

having done a side-by-side of Beyond Meat in a burger, the taste and texture both fall short. that said, its a more viable alternative than we have had in the past.

i know a guy who owns a couple hundred head of cattle, and his take on the new fake meats was "the corporations finally found a way to make pig feed appealing to people"

beyond meat went more for the visual effect of meat (red juices and stuff) while taste was secondary, impossible went more for taste. i did the same thing you're describing but with an impossible burger and it was pretty convincing. i mean it didn't taste like high-quality meat and it was weirdly salty (though that might have just been the place I was at) but it tasted like A Burger

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the one thing about the impossible burger that was weird to me is that it had a weirdly strong aftertaste of meat. like it tasted like i just ate a burger, but it was unusually strong and stuck around for a while, like it was trying really hard to convince me it really was a burger or something. honestly though it was good enough that i wouldn't mind eating that instead of real meat all the time :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fun thing about Beyond Meat is the fact they're another one of those companies that seem to be hugely popular but can't turn a profit selling their expensive product.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

the one thing about the impossible burger that was weird to me is that it had a weirdly strong aftertaste of meat. like it tasted like i just ate a burger, but it was unusually strong and stuck around for a while, like it was trying really hard to convince me it really was a burger or something. honestly though it was good enough that i wouldn't mind eating that instead of real meat all the time :shrug:

GROSS

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If I'm going to overpay for a burger, it's going to have real meat and not some silicon valley startup crap.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Beetroot burgers are okay.
If for some reason you want a burger, but don't want any meat in it.
Perhaps the same can be said about bitcoin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wake up airbnb!!! (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 minutes ago by slvbtc

When the f*ck is airbnb going to accept bitcoin?! It is the most obvious market fit ever!

Are they run by a board of old people already? Why are they dragging their heels on this?

Airbnb + bitpay ... GO!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

Beetroot burgers are okay.
If for some reason you want a burger, but don't want any meat in it.
Perhaps the same can be said about bitcoin.

I love those old-school patties that are very noticeably based on vegetables - don't need fmeat, those are way better.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I feel like I don't hold Bitcoin, I hold a philosophy and purpose. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 hours ago by Blocklieverredditor for 3 months

No matter what, we are being part of one of humankind's critical turning points.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Remember those bitcoin enthusiasts that wanted to deliberately live on an all-meat diet?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]slvbtc 19 points 2 days ago*

Yep the eyes dont lie.

Pomp is a charmer for sure, this also leads into the whole popularity thing with bitcoin now too.

"So you got into bitcoin in 2015, wow thats soooo cool."

Millions of girls just watched this female host eye gently caress a bitcoiner. All of a sudden its cool to have a boyfriend thats a bitcoiner.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EorayMel posted:

Remember those bitcoin enthusiasts that wanted to deliberately live on an all-meat diet?

I think that's me, but not for bitcoin/dietary reasons.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

beef makes me violently ill :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boxturret posted:

beef makes me violently ill :)

at least you know what it's like to read your posts

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

...! posted:

[–]slvbtc 19 points 2 days ago*

Yep the eyes dont lie.

Pomp is a charmer for sure, this also leads into the whole popularity thing with bitcoin now too.

"So you got into bitcoin in 2015, wow thats soooo cool."

Millions of girls just watched this female host eye gently caress a bitcoiner. All of a sudden its cool to have a boyfriend thats a bitcoiner.
pompamampoloose just produced the cure for incel

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

144 what?

Endless Mike posted:

at least you know what it's like to read your posts

:haw:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I would like to try an impossible burger, but they don't exist in canada :shrug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Happy Wheels 99.99% impossible burger

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BMan posted:

I would like to try an impossible burger, but they don't exist in canada :shrug:

would you say that they're impossible to find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Maybe settle for a highly unlikely burger?