Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is this the main DOTA thread? I just started playing again after a multi-year break... Can't imagine it's fallen out of popularity so much that the last post in a DOTA thread is 3 weeks old :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m one game away from Divine 4. Every single game has a Riki in it now, boy’s a beast.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Is mid pudge actually good or am I just in scrub tier where going mid pudge with a quelling blade -> 100 ez last hits at 10:00?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

This is the main Dota thread but there just isn't much to say about the direct pub experience. The good players are sick of talking about it, the bad players like me aren't very qualified to give advice, and there aren't a lot of new players.

Most SA Dota channels dried up as goons quit or found friends/regulars to play with. It used to be that you'd kill for a goon stack even with massive skill differences because it'd be the only time you'd get willing supports. I think most people find that enough now with their own stacks or in pubs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got'chya. I very well could be misremembering but I thought I recalled the thread being drat near as active as the WH40K one which gets like 50-100 posts per day.

Well, then, what do you fellow scrubs think of Nature's Prophet talents? No idea what MMR I am, but I consider myself an average player with a perfect 50% Win/Loss rate. Me and a buddy duo queued and went rat shitlords Tinker / Prophet and I wasn't sure what abilities to take. I just took all of the Left talents (Treant focused, mainly) to spam my ult with Aghs. We had no right winning the game, but hey lovely pubs so poo poo works.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

at one point the dota 2 thread was killed for being no poo poo the worst thread in the forum, and it 100% deserved it

why it has been allowed to be revived, I don't know, but it's definitely a shadow of its former terrible self

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the thread wasn't bad a specific poster was and since a mod was friend with said poster the whole thread got blamed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thread wasn't bad a specific poster was and since a mod was friend with said poster the whole thread got blamed.

black baby goku was the focal point of the great maelstrom of absolutely horrible posting that was the old dota 2 thread and now that he is dead the thread's vile sustaining force has vanished, leaving it shriveled and no longer able to harm others

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

Is mid pudge actually good or am I just in scrub tier where going mid pudge with a quelling blade -> 100 ez last hits at 10:00?
It does seem pretty strong in pubs. The sustain on the reworked Flesh Heap is crazy and his high base damage plus rot can out-trade and out-cs a lot of heroes. My friend swears by not levelling hook until 5 which does seem kindof ridiculous.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Mid pudge is definitely scrub-tier poo poo, but if you can somehow win mid AND gank the side-lanes, yeah sure, go for it. At any rank.

The problem with it in higher ranks is that most mids are really good at farming safely, and you’ll end up with a pudge hitting creeps in mid while a SF, Ember, or whatever are instantly clearing mid while also farming their own jungle. Mid is rather commonly a place for heavy damage dealers to lane, and pudge doesn’t bring a lot of damage.

Offlane pudge (3pos) is basically the same concept but better suited for his capabilities / role.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mid has jungle creeps now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the nearest medium camp for either side is pretty much mid's jungle, yeah

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Well, then, what do you fellow scrubs think of Nature's Prophet talents? No idea what MMR I am, but I consider myself an average player with a perfect 50% Win/Loss rate. Me and a buddy duo queued and went rat shitlords Tinker / Prophet and I wasn't sure what abilities to take. I just took all of the Left talents (Treant focused, mainly) to spam my ult with Aghs. We had no right winning the game, but hey lovely pubs so poo poo works.

To me there's four ways of playing NP:

1) Five nulls and a blademail
2) PPD style support which only works if you can harass with trees while not feeding them. Go whatever items/talents the team needs here, but I usually do movespeed/armor/CDR/teleportCD
3) Glass cannon teleporting carry where you get maelstrom, orchid, daedlus. Here you get all the right talents
4) Ultra rat where you do what you did, left talents, pretty much spamming your ult on cooldown. The ultimate goal is to make sure you get a greater treant

If you want to really get into ratting you need to start playing Underlord. I had a guy go 0-6 but pretty much dominate the game because all of his deaths were at a T2 or T3 while the rest of us farmed

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

schmitty9800 posted:

This is the main Dota thread but there just isn't much to say about the direct pub experience. The good players are sick of talking about it, the bad players like me aren't very qualified to give advice, and there aren't a lot of new players.

Most SA Dota channels dried up as goons quit or found friends/regulars to play with. It used to be that you'd kill for a goon stack even with massive skill differences because it'd be the only time you'd get willing supports. I think most people find that enough now with their own stacks or in pubs.

I also think that the new dota2 interface killed the in-game chat channel that people used to find games.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

DNK posted:

Mid pudge is definitely scrub-tier poo poo, but if you can somehow win mid AND gank the side-lanes, yeah sure, go for it. At any rank.

The problem with it in higher ranks is that most mids are really good at farming safely, and you’ll end up with a pudge hitting creeps in mid while a SF, Ember, or whatever are instantly clearing mid while also farming their own jungle. Mid is rather commonly a place for heavy damage dealers to lane, and pudge doesn’t bring a lot of damage.

Offlane pudge (3pos) is basically the same concept but better suited for his capabilities / role.

Pudge is in a versatile spot right now. I was surprised they buffed him in 7.22f considering he can support or carry now.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Its no secret that Dota attracts very few new players. In my experience, the average pub skill level is way higher than 5 years ago so there is less of a need to stack with goons/friends to get good games.

That being said, the current dota social tools are poo poo at encouraging people to play together. The Party Finder tool is gated behind the battlepass, no guild system, chat rooms full of spammers etc etc.

I do think that Dota is one of those games that will be around a long rear end time, short of Dota 3 coming out. I can only pray that Open AI develop bots who are indistinguishable to humans and can be adjusted to play like your exact MMR. If this ever happens, I will never stop playing.

PM me if you want to play 420 turbos on Australian servers.

Also, don't play with TCJimbo.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The lead in The Boys looks like grown up ODPixel.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there still an SA DotA Discord channel? I haven't played in uhhh 6 years but I'd def ball with some goons who're willing to let me suck complete butt for awhile :ohdear:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there still an SA DotA Discord channel? I haven't played in uhhh 6 years but I'd def ball with some goons who're willing to let me suck complete butt for awhile :ohdear:

lljk but no one talks and there's only a dozen goons in there at peak times. I'm also bad enough that I would feel embarrassed to play with literally anyone I didn't know irl.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

https://discord.gg/fKWhBv

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

buddy, there's like 6 SA DotA Discords, minimum

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ambivalent posted:

buddy, there's like 6 SA DotA Discords, minimum

all of them comprised of a totally different group of twenty people

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

remember when we got dota threads banned from SA

what happened to those days

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
SA and DotA are great together in that they were both way more popular in the early 2000s.

hairypanis posted:

Its no secret that Dota attracts very few new players. In my experience, the average pub skill level is way higher than 5 years ago so there is less of a need to stack with goons/friends to get good games.

That being said, the current dota social tools are poo poo at encouraging people to play together. The Party Finder tool is gated behind the battlepass, no guild system, chat rooms full of spammers etc etc.

I do think that Dota is one of those games that will be around a long rear end time, short of Dota 3 coming out. I can only pray that Open AI develop bots who are indistinguishable to humans and can be adjusted to play like your exact MMR. If this ever happens, I will never stop playing.

PM me if you want to play 420 turbos on Australian servers.

Also, don't play with TCJimbo.

I like how the game keeps asking me to add people to my party finder when I don't have a battle pass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

Got'chya. I very well could be misremembering but I thought I recalled the thread being drat near as active as the WH40K one which gets like 50-100 posts per day.

I like the damage, cdr, and no tele cooldown ones. The secret to Furion is to just go full carry and teleport around the map sniping out of position heros and couriers and making your team hate you because all the waves and jungle are permanently farmed out

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

SA and DotA are great together in that they were both way more popular in the early 2000s.

Valve found a way to keep that old prize pool growing; destroy the item market and restrict all cool/valuable items behind the battle pass

quote:

I like how the game keeps asking me to add people to my party finder when I don't have a battle pass.

Just buy a battle pass

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Never Battle Pass. Not even once.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I'm fine in games where we have one idiot lategame who thinks that just because he has farm he can take on the whole team, or that he can pick off a 3K hp hero before their team rotates. Just follow him!

But when you have two idiots....who do you follow?

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

schmitty9800 posted:

I'm fine in games where we have one idiot lategame who thinks that just because he has farm he can take on the whole team, or that he can pick off a 3K hp hero before their team rotates. Just follow him!

This is why I can't bring myself to mute team chat, because there's tons of games I've won recently where it looked like one guy was going to be a dumbass going off by himself when the team is ready to group and I have to act like his wrangler, drawing all over the map and pinging and getting him to stop walking to the jungle when two enemies are dead and we're ready to push for a rax

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played my first two games(not against AI) in 5 years last night and WOW I didn't remember poo poo. Trickling back from the recesses of my mind, but that first game was rough, even as Sniper :psyduck:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is why I can't bring myself to mute team chat, because there's tons of games I've won recently where it looked like one guy was going to be a dumbass going off by himself when the team is ready to group and I have to act like his wrangler, drawing all over the map and pinging and getting him to stop walking to the jungle when two enemies are dead and we're ready to push for a rax

you don't need to have team chat unmuted for that to work

(i don't mute team chat. well, not all the time)

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Don't be self-conscious about team chat mutes, your play will improve with mutes in solo-queue. Chat emotes and pings are more than enough now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

schmitty9800 posted:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I don't mute chat, I just refuse to respond or comment anything that isn't a ping 99% of the time. And if both teams are being a bunch of loving children? I just quit for the day. Which has been a real problem lately with most games having sore winners, sore losers, finger pointing, and someone flipping out.

Been playing less and less.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trapped in low behavior score (which I do deserve tbh) but if people could stop buying shadow amulet and going afk in a lane that would be fantastic

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I racked up 5000 hours in this dead gay video game and used to be toxic as poo poo trying to get to the big leagues and now im a 10,000 rated behaviour score support player and its actually kind of a fun game again thanks for listening to my stobry

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Andrigaar posted:

I don't mute chat, I just refuse to respond or comment anything that isn't a ping 99% of the time. And if both teams are being a bunch of loving children? I just quit for the day. Which has been a real problem lately with most games having sore winners, sore losers, finger pointing, and someone flipping out.

I do have all enemies muted and I am reaffirmed of this decision every single game when I hit the post-game lobby and the chat explodes into "SO EZ MID PUTA MADRE REPORT"

This is funny because usually the other team totally incorrectly identifies who the player who lost them the game was

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wasn't gonna buy a battle pass, but uh... how much i gotta spend to get bare rear end handed axe? Not at home so I can't just pull up DOTA and figure poo poo out

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
At this point buying in to the battle pass and getting the naked axe straight cash is probably like $120ish, since valve already did the things where they sell they sell immortal boxes with levels in them on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sab669 posted:

I wasn't gonna buy a battle pass, but uh... how much i gotta spend to get bare rear end handed axe? Not at home so I can't just pull up DOTA and figure poo poo out

naked axe is 200$+