Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you do go with Finn post the results after your playthrough.

That Finn deck posted above was stupid good until the taboo list hit and I've been looking for an alternate role for him.

Yeah, I didn't want to use Milan due to the taboo list.

My girlfriend completely didn't understand Meat Cleaver, she thought "spend an additional horror to deal a damage OR fight". It took kind of an argument for me to explain it to her which soured the whole last third of the Curtain Call scenario. It didn't click with her that you pause your action of Fighting with meat cleave after you take a horror to initiate the fight action, then Agnes can dish a damage because of that horror, and then you continue the fight action. Oh, arguing about board games, such fun times for couples-- especially when you're dating someone stubborn!

I ran with this Finn deck that uses Scavenging. I didn't have any XP so no lockpicks, and I also changed Sneak Attack to Slight of Hand. I dunno if that was a wise move, but whatever. I feel like Slight of Hand will let me spend 1 to install a weapon, use the weapon, and then it goes back in my hand for a skill test maybe later, versus the one use 2x dmg of Sneak Attack.

Otherwise We barely beat it by the skin of us probably accidentally cheating here or there, but didn't get the +XP from the singing monster as it spawned again right on the turn the whole place was on fire. But we got 5 XP otherwise and thus I can run Lockpicks now.

All in all, a bit bumpy. She got Meat Cleaver turn 1, but soaked so much horror that we both would have gone insane unless I did all 4x uses of Liquid Courage. She didn't even draw a Shriving and went through 90% of her deck, but hey that's Mystic I guess.

I didn't really do much recursion as I didn't have any items in my discard for a while. However, I had a shitload of things to constantly skill test with, and my double or nothing of "Watch this!" helped me get Leo out by like turn 5. Having four actions plus a free evade was pretty cool. I just think I'll probably miss Sneak Attack, but oh well.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you do go with Finn post the results after your playthrough.

That Finn deck posted above was stupid good until the taboo list hit and I've been looking for an alternate role for him.

I've been running Finn in our Circle campaign using the taboo list and he's been great. Running with Scavenging but only drew it to much effect in one scenario. Mostly clue based, had knives early for a little combat but now I've swapped one out for an Ancient Bow. I've picked up streetwise (which was a painful purchase) but haven't missed Elusive too much (track shoes help a lot getting around).

I'm still amazed at how well most of the characters are balanced. Really only think Calvin is appreciably worse than everyone else. I've even come around on Diana as someone running her in our campaign's been doing some cool stuff.

edit-Also, what am I missing with the whole Agnes/meat cleaver thing? I get the horror for an extra damage thing, but it's still only an attack of 3 or 4. I've seen it used a few places but it just seems kinda a waste.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 30, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

edit-Also, what am I missing with the whole Agnes/meat cleaver thing? I get the horror for an extra damage thing, but it's still only an attack of 3 or 4. I've seen it used a few places but it just seems kinda a waste.

I tried it for 5 scenarios and thought it was garbage. Unless you are playing on easy you'll need a lot more support from skill cards and survivor events to actually hit with the thing.

Just use pain killers if you want to take horror for free damage.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

jeeves posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to use Milan due to the taboo list.

It's not like he's banned, he's just not as ridiculous.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I didn't want to make my guy too easy, so I didn't go Milan. (edit - sort of why didn't use Rex in Dunwich)

Still kind of up in the air about Meat Cleaver. I was going to run Baseball Bat, but Carcosa has 3x skull tokens so it would probably be broken a lot.

However, my gf didn't see or get her Peter Sylvestry out at all, so she had to soak a lot of horror and almost died from it a few times, so I don't know if the pings from the meat cleaver's horror was helpful.

edit2 - gently caress it, gonna go back to Baseball Bat. Esp since my gf and I kinda argued about her not understanding meat cleaver for so long that the card is probably cursed now, heh.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 30, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Consider the enchanted blade if you have access to it if Agnes is primarily focused on combat. Three charges can end up just as good as a bat and it can actually hit ghosts.

She doesn't actually make good use of weapons. Try to spend xp to rely entirely on spells as soon as possible. I'd rather take mists and shriveling and just avoid monsters until I find shriveling than pay resources for access to a garbage attack that will fail.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was hesitant about that Enchanted Blade due to it using an Arcane Slot, and both Shriving and Rite of Seeking want to use those. Plus I think it seems good enough that my gf would have wanted to hold onto it rather than over-write it with a better Arcane slot if she got one.

Fighting with a weapon is like not what Agnes should be doing, which is why I initially included the Meat Cleaver so she could ping things with the horror from it should she need to fight. It just sucks that turn 1 in our game my gf got the Meat Cleaver and didn't see Shriveling at all the entire game, so she got a bad opinion of Agnes' ability to fight.

Baseball Bat has the downside of being thrown away on those skull icons, but doesn't use an Arcane slot and has a better usage of +2 fight for earlier in the scenario. I think having it be thrown away is probably better for teaching that Agnes should be using spells if need be.

It's also why I did a bit of a more fight-able Finn instead of just pure clue-gatherer Finn, as I need to pick up the slack of beating stuff up if need be (Shriveling out of clues, etc).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Enchanted blade is doing some serious work in my Lola deck for circle undone, but I don't think I would ever use it on an actual mystic over the other options for spell slots.

e: I threw it together from memory if you want to take a look. Might be some minor changes but I believe that's accurate. I basically play her as a guardian but once my lore gets up to four I can backup clue find pretty easily if needed.

e2: this deck is accurate as far as the "second" scenario completed

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 31, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd definitely use it in a combat focused Akachi deck. It is another two copies of shriveling for her.

I've also seen it used to good effect in a Eli Horowitz Jim deck before he got enough XP for timeworn brands.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 31, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Carcosa update:

I'm rocking my Scavenger Finn deck, I really am enjoying it. Once Lockpicks gets out along with my engine of Scavenging and the Smoking amulet, it feels great to investigate for 8 once a turn and get a free card and to get an item back from my discard. I don't feel too crippled either without them. Having Leo out early via the "Watch This!" skill test is great, as four actions per turn plus a free evade is awesome.

My girlfriend is enjoying Agnes, even if we accidentally cheated on the first two scenarios of Carcosa by assigning damage to enemies after dumping horror on Peter Syvestry. By the third scenario we figured that out. She still has the problem of constantly feeling crippled without Shriveling or Rite of Seeking, but I guess that's Agnes alright. I'm tempted to have her throw in a Song of the Dead or two just to give her more options besides falling back on the baseball bat.

Unfortunately, we accidentally cheated again on Echos of the Past by not noticing that that some of the drat doom-ticking Cultists were Aloof. Ugh.

Oh well, it wouldn't Arkham without realizing how much harder the game you just squeezed by would be if you hadn't unknowingly/accidentally cheated some how!

Also, I really enjoyed Echos of the Past's doom count. For once it didn't feel like the scenario was a race against the clock since the doom didn't advance unless via encounter deck draws or those cultists that would killed quickly.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our 3-player group were all available tonight for Where Doom Awaits. Rex, Zoey, Sefina.

Doing a scenario cold to everyone means you have to read the cards closely. We are doing much better on recognizing rope-a-dopes and how each new scenario specifically wants to traumatize us.
Rex was critical of course, and Zoey loves her Timeworn Brand for slicing and dicing. Sefina can do a lot of utility and cleanup.

In two weeks it's Lost in Time and Space. We have no idea what's coming; we got 3 last XP to spend by then, which rules out any new exceptionals.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Picked up The Blob That Ate Everything at GenCon; We like it well enough. It's a real pisser when the Blob devours your good cards, as well as the side effect of affecting your skill rolls with severity based on the # of cards he's devoured. It's a cool scenario with good flavor. It has that scale factor where the Blob becomes harder to kill based on the # of investigators in the game, so there's some pressure for everyone to move the needle before the Ooze spawns spiral out of control.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I haven't gotten around to opening the Guardians of the Abyss, but I'm guessing the Blob is going to be in a package like that, of stuff meant for GenCon/other events?

It seems like their Hotel Excelsior is a standalone thing, so they are releasing multiple stand alones this year.

I remember that Labyrinths of Lunacy was meant for like multiple groups-- are Blob and Abyss like that as well, or what just for Labyrinths?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

jeeves posted:

I remember that Labyrinths of Lunacy was meant for like multiple groups-- are Blob and Abyss like that as well, or what just for Labyrinths?

Guardians of the Abyss is just a two-part mini campaign, basically; It's not for multiple groups the way Labyrinths was. The Blob can work as a regular scenario as well, it just has extra rules that allows multiple groups to play it at the same time by pooling their clues and damage into one big number.

Either set could be played with a regular group and not lose much in the process.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Starting Circle Undone tonight with prologue and deckbuilding. 'Witch' us luck! (Also any spoiler free tips)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there any point during the Dunwich campaign where doing one of the side quest scenarios makes narrative sense? Like it's really hard to sell a trip to Venice or whatever during the Night of the Zealot but there's a natural timeskip of sorts during the Carcosa campaign I first played in.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

After the train ride maybe?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Train ride dumps you in a swamp, especially if you failed the scenario and got lost in time and space.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is there any way to put Insights into Joe Diamond's main deck instead of his Hunch deck on Arkhamdb?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shrecknet posted:

Is there any way to put Insights into Joe Diamond's main deck instead of his Hunch deck on Arkhamdb?

I don't think so, but it still keeps track of total cards so as long as you know what goes where it doesn't really matter

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah I just wrote "H" on the hunch deck sleeves with sharpie

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

But they get discarded into your regular discard and shuffled into your regular deck if you run out of cards.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shrecknet posted:

lmao

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

But they get discarded into your regular discard and shuffled into your regular deck if you run out of cards.

and?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I thought you were writing the h on the back. Front is fine.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I introduced Arkham Horror to a new player!

They pulled rotting remains two turns in a row towards the end of the introductory mission, drew an auto fail for both, and were defeated at a high shroud location while carrying most of the clues.

I don't think they'll ever want to play again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

KPC_Mammon posted:

I introduced Arkham Horror to a new player!

They pulled rotting remains two turns in a row towards the end of the introductory mission, drew an auto fail for both, and were defeated at a high shroud location while carrying most of the clues.

I don't think they'll ever want to play again.

Honestly, if I was teaching the game to a new player, I'd pull some of those more bullshit cards. Especially if they're playing Roland and his five sanity. Like how I did at first. Painful memories.

Carcosa update: Finn & Agnes have been rocking Carcosa but holy poo poo Dim Carcosa can suck a fat one. At least it's not as much of a sudden out-of-left-field kick in a dick as the Devourer Below was.

I'm excited to start the Forgotten Age with my girlfriend, but man am I going to miss Finn. I don't want to use him again but I can already tell that I am getting super spoiled off of his free Evade each turn.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 21, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jeeves posted:

I'm excited to start the Forgotten Age with my girlfriend, but man am I going to miss Finn. I don't want to use him again but I can already tell that I am getting super spoiled off of his free Evade each turn.
switch to ursula because her free investigate feels even better

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shrecknet posted:

switch to ursula because her free investigate feels even better

Girlfriend is going to Ursula from Agnes, and to change from being the monster slayer to the clue gatherer.

I'm probably going to go Leo, however I am hesitant at slaying everything with as his evade sucks but once I get past the first scenario I can upgrade into some Cat Burglars at least.

Probably something like this Leo deck but with the flashlights replaced with Machetes to let Ursula handle the clues and having just two weapons to start seems scary. Edit - hmm, maybe this Leo deck instead.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 22, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I dont love Leo but I'm hard pressed to suggest another Guardian if you just finished a campaign with Roland. Hes basically the EtF from NetRunner of AHLCG; you have to have a compelling reason NOT to roll with him.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shrecknet posted:

I dont love Leo but I'm hard pressed to suggest another Guardian if you just finished a campaign with Roland. Hes basically the EtF from NetRunner of AHLCG; you have to have a compelling reason NOT to roll with him.

No, I didn't just finish a campaign with Roland-- I had mentioned before that I was thinking of trying Roland for Carcosa but Curtain Call quickly disabused me of that so I went with Finn instead.

I'm going to go Leo and my girlfriend is going to go Ursula for our blind playthrough of TFA. I can already tell that supplies are going to be laff.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

jeeves posted:

No, I didn't just finish a campaign with Roland-- I had mentioned before that I was thinking of trying Roland for Carcosa but Curtain Call quickly disabused me of that so I went with Finn instead.

I'm going to go Leo and my girlfriend is going to go Ursula for our blind playthrough of TFA. I can already tell that supplies are going to be laff.

Honestly I'd go ahead and spoil yourselves on the supplies portion at least and what they do since it's not really intuitive from their descriptions. I don't mind the mechanic if it were refined (I think someone here mentioned maybe if they do something in the future adding descriptions of possible situations they may be used which would help without totallyl just saying what they do) but as is it's a bit lacking.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone in this thread told me, spoiler-free: never underestimate the importance of a good night's sleep

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Someone in this thread told me, spoiler-free: never underestimate the importance of a good night's sleep

I feel like that ended up one of the less important things to do.

Trauma doesn't matter if you can end scenarios with more than 1 health and sanity.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I did find myself yelling, Norman Reedus style, "WHAT ARE WE GONNA NEED ROPE FOR?!!" every time it came up and we didn't have it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think I may just cheat and have each of the two us get 10 supplies to start instead of 7, honestly.

Also, still trying to decide on exactly what Leo deck to take. For TFA specifically I am curious if I should spend a lot of card slots on evade-style things like Elusive, Cheap Shot, and I'm Outta Here.

Also also wondering how much I'm going to hate things by going with 4x weapons and no flashlights. However, I'll have Ursula around for that I guess.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Having just played through that campaign with a group with underwhelming evade I'd say it's completely doable with a combat focused Leo. Just bring lots of allies to take hits.

I really like venturer and firearms with him.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

KPC_Mammon posted:

Having just played through that campaign with a group with underwhelming evade I'd say it's completely doable with a combat focused Leo. Just bring lots of allies to take hits.

I really like venturer and firearms with him.

Yeah, the first deck I was looking at had firearms and venturer but quickly replaces venturer with cat burgler.

I guess I just gotta get over how much fun it was to dive into being forced to use evasion way more than I had before thanks to Finn in Carcosa: "No hunter? No problem!"

Otherwise, FFG just announced the seeker for Dream Eaters, and gently caress the investigator looks like crazy powerful to the point of near broken.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also in TFA : vengeance/Yigs Fury doesnt matter until it really really does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

jeeves posted:

Yeah, the first deck I was looking at had firearms and venturer but quickly replaces venturer with cat burgler.

I guess I just gotta get over how much fun it was to dive into being forced to use evasion way more than I had before thanks to Finn in Carcosa: "No hunter? No problem!"

Otherwise, FFG just announced the seeker for Dream Eaters, and gently caress the investigator looks like crazy powerful to the point of near broken.

Venturer's value goes way up as you get better firearms.

I had a Leo run through Carcosa where I had effectively infinite shotgun ammo due to venturers. I also had well prepared so every shot hit for 5 damage.

They're probably even better with better firearms, I just wanted to see if I could make the shotgun work.