Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Which leads back to today's Zen 2 chiplets on 7nm being tiny again and yet generating a ton of heat to the point of not having enough surface area to dissipate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Power density is rapidly approaching the point where something has to give, either cooling needs to be brought closer to the die to keep up or power consumption (and performance) is going to have to drop on smaller nodes. Heat spreaders are already basically insulators compared to high end coolers.

With Zen 2, it isn't that they are generating a ton of heat, it is that they are generating the same amount of heat in less area.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indiana_Krom posted:

Power density is rapidly approaching the point where something has to give, either cooling needs to be brought closer to the die to keep up or power consumption (and performance) is going to have to drop on smaller nodes. Heat spreaders are already basically insulators compared to high end coolers.

With Zen 2, it isn't that they are generating a ton of heat, it is that they are generating the same amount of heat in less area.

time to lose the IHS

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I love seeing people still using this chip. What a legendary processor.

I'm really struggling to find a reason for upgrading my 4570/gtx 970. Everything still just works, at 1080p anyway.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah at 1080p you'll never need to upgrade.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if more games will be optimized for 4k when the next gen consoles start coming out next year. At some point the UI for games will look like trash in 1080

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

teagone posted:

With how cheap RAM is atm, would it be worth it to upgrade my old gaming PC to 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM? It currently has 8GB. Other specs are Core i5-4570, GTX 1060 6GB. I don't plan on upgrading the CPU/mainboard anytime soon since I mostly only play Overwatch on it and I have a 240Hz G-sync monitor so it runs OW pretty much like butter.

Considering your use case I'm gonna vote no. Overwatch is a very well optimized game and I don't believe more RAM will improve it's performance. Maybe faster RAM will, but that depends if your motherboard supports it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

time to lose the IHS

Diamond heatspreader

Edit: turns out they exist

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
integrate a waterblock into the die

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Is there a PC parts deals thread? I’ve been searching daily for things but is there a place to discuss them on SA?Slickdeals is a necessary evil right now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SatelliteCore posted:

Is there a PC parts deals thread? I’ve been searching daily for things but is there a place to discuss them on SA?Slickdeals is a necessary evil right now.

r/buildapcsales

They're pretty on top of it and the comments are good enough to let you know if something is a good deal or not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi thread, is this a good place to ask about KVM switches? I have never used one before but, after doing some research I feel like a KVM switch would be exactly what I need:
I will get to work from home two days a week by the end of the year. I have two monitors on my desk at home; I have three monitors at work. I have a docking station for my laptop at home. I would like to be able to swap between using my keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitors with as little hassle as possible

Therefore, is my conclusion that I should use a KVM switch a good one? And if so, could the thread recommend one for me? I did a search for them and there seems to be an astounding number of choices and I have no idea how to judge them. Thank you!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have any real experience with case fans?
I'm going with a Fractal Design Meshify C ATX and want to fill the front with two 140mm fans. Lot of options though and I want to focus on keeping noise as low as possible everywhere since the case isn't focused on that.

Right now I'm looking at Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (2-Pack) which sound nifty and people say are silent, but others are also saying its loud? So I don't know what to believe. Also nice is that this two pack is like two for the price of one at the moment.
Second choice is some Noctua NF-A14 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Cooling Fan (140mm, Brown) Which also has rave reviews, but I've honestly no idea what is overpriced or not.

But I'm really after some experienced opinions on what to get. Doesn't have to either of these two I've posted, it is just what I've found after about an hour of searching and reading reviews.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

time to lose the IHS

I don't see why they don't just use a shim in place of the IHS like you can buy for delided CPUs to protect the bare die from being crushed, seems like a simple and cheap solution to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Broose posted:

I'm going with a Fractal Design Meshify C ATX and want to fill the front with two 140mm fans. Lot of options though and I want to focus on keeping noise as low as possible everywhere since the case isn't focused on that.

Right now I'm looking at Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (2-Pack) which sound nifty and people say are silent, but others are also saying its loud? So I don't know what to believe. Also nice is that this two pack is like two for the price of one at the moment.
Second choice is some Noctua NF-A14 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Cooling Fan (140mm, Brown) Which also has rave reviews, but I've honestly no idea what is overpriced or not.

But I'm really after some experienced opinions on what to get. Doesn't have to either of these two I've posted, it is just what I've found after about an hour of searching and reading reviews.

Does that come with fractal 140mm fans? I have a define r5 with 2 140mm fractal fans and they're completely silent.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Broose posted:

Take a look at the new corsair case, the 220t I think. Phone posting or I would link. Seems to have really solid airflow and comes with 3 corsair LL fans on the front. You can also remove the awful looking grill in the front if you want, it won't add much to airflow though as the grill has large enough slits to basically have great flow to start with

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sebmojo posted:

I'm really struggling to find a reason for upgrading my 4570/gtx 970. Everything still just works, at 1080p anyway.

Sup 4570 CPU haver who also feels like they have no reason to upgrade. I've got mine with a GTX 1060 6GB on a 1080p 240Hz G-Sync monitor and I think I can use this setup for several more generations.

OhFunny posted:

Considering your use case I'm gonna vote no. Overwatch is a very well optimized game and I don't believe more RAM will improve it's performance. Maybe faster RAM will, but that depends if your motherboard supports it.

Makes sense. The mainboard is on the lower end (ASRock B85M) and only supports DDR3-1600/1333. Unless I see a 16GB kit drop down to like the $30-$40ish range maybe I'll just bite because why not, but other wise at the current $60-$70 range for 16GB, yeah it's probably not worth it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 5, 2019

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I've got an unopened MSI B450 Tomahawk and a 3600, just waiting for the GPU to show up. The Tomahawk has "ready for Ryzen 3000" printed on the box but it's not a Max (not sure if they're in stores yet). Let's assume the thing boots fine with whatever factory-updated BIOS it has, does it make any sense to return it and wait for a Max version for stability/performance?

Is there some CPU-architecture reason why Ryzen 3000 needs 32 megabytes or whatever of BIOS space or does the dust just need to settle on all this poo poo?

Edit: Also my original plan was not to use USB Flashback and just count on the factory BIOS being "ready for 3000." Is there any reason to flashback it to whatever the latest BIOS is instead?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
All my parts came in except my video card. It's been a looooong time since I built a PC so I have a quick question. I'm building a 9900k, and my mobo has a 4pin and an 8pin ATX power reciever. My undersatnding is for the 9900k I need both of these plugged in. But my seasonic didn't come with a 4pin connector. Do i just use one of the pcie power connectors into the 4pin even though they are more than 4pin?

Or do I just use the 8pin alone?

This is my mobo
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145091?Item=N82E16813145091

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 5, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Using highly advanced 3d modeling (cutting and pasting in photoshop, 1 pixel = 1 mm) I've made a mockup of my new PC. The case I did want had the 2 radiators next to each other making plumbing easy.
The Lian Li PC-V3000 though, is going to be interesting. I could do 2 loops, or somehow connect the top and bottom rad...

Broose posted:

Corsair's ML's, LL's, SP's are all good fans. I wish I could find more info on their new SP120/140 Pro assignable RGB's
Noctua fans are the colour of literal poo poo and are still very highly rated, that's how good they are.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 5, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

el_caballo posted:

I've got an unopened MSI B450 Tomahawk and a 3600, just waiting for the GPU to show up. The Tomahawk has "ready for Ryzen 3000" printed on the box but it's not a Max (not sure if they're in stores yet). Let's assume the thing boots fine with whatever factory-updated BIOS it has, does it make any sense to return it and wait for a Max version for stability/performance?

Is there some CPU-architecture reason why Ryzen 3000 needs 32 megabytes or whatever of BIOS space or does the dust just need to settle on all this poo poo?

Edit: Also my original plan was not to use USB Flashback and just count on the factory BIOS being "ready for 3000." Is there any reason to flashback it to whatever the latest BIOS is instead?

I highly, highly doubt the Max has stability or performance differences. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the bios chip size. That means on the Max boards they can bring back the flashier BIOS menus with images and crap.

I guess there's the possibility that the Max will get larger BIOS updates in future that can support more generations at once.

I wouldn't bother returning the board for a Max, there's a good chance the Max will just flat out cost more because.. it's a "new" board, and you're really not going to gain anything

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Does that come with fractal 140mm fans? I have a define r5 with 2 140mm fractal fans and they're completely silent.

It comes with two 120mm, 1 back, 1 front. Planning to move the front to to somewhere else and use as an exhaust. With two 140mm on the front for intake.

grimcreaper posted:

Take a look at the new corsair case, the 220t I think. Phone posting or I would link. Seems to have really solid airflow and comes with 3 corsair LL fans on the front. You can also remove the awful looking grill in the front if you want, it won't add much to airflow though as the grill has large enough slits to basically have great flow to start with

Nice looking case, it only has 160mm of space for the CPU cooler though. Was planning on buying a NH-D15 though and it is a bit large for the case.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

el_caballo posted:

All the MSI issues seem isolated to Reddit, no one here has been having issues.

The reason for the MAX boards, as best I understand, is that there are too many processors supported on the AM4 platform so there's just not enough space in the bios for them all. MSI had to drop support for the A-series chips to fit Zen2 support. I highly doubt there would be a reason to return it and get a MAX board, unless you're planning on swapping between unsupported chips ever.

I wouldn't bother pre-flashing. See what bios is on there and flash it if a later one fixes an issue you personally encounter.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Kilazar posted:

All my parts came in except my video card. It's been a looooong time since I built a PC so I have a quick question. I'm building a 9900k, and my mobo has a 4pin and an 8pin ATX power reciever. My undersatnding is for the 9900k I need both of these plugged in. But my seasonic didn't come with a 4pin connector. Do i just use one of the pcie power connectors into the 4pin even though they are more than 4pin?

Or do I just use the 8pin alone?

This is my mobo
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145091?Item=N82E16813145091

PCIE 4 pin isn't the same as EPS 4 pin, I believe.

Does your power supply come with dual 8 pin? Most are actually 4+4 connected together.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

PCIE 4 pin isn't the same as EPS 4 pin, I believe.

Does your power supply come with dual 8 pin? Most are actually 4+4 connected together.

Shouldn't my power supply have come with both EPS connectors?

*edit*
It looks like it came with 4+4 :/. So I need to buy another 4+4 for seasonic and just use that?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 5, 2019

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

ItBreathes posted:

All the MSI issues seem isolated to Reddit, no one here has been having issues.

HalloKitty posted:

I highly, highly doubt the Max has stability or performance differences.

Dope. Thanks guys.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Kilazar posted:

Shouldn't my power supply have come with both EPS connectors?

*edit*
It looks like it came with 4+4 :/. So I need to buy another 4+4 for seasonic and just use that?

What seasonic do you have?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

What seasonic do you have?

Focus+ platinum 650 PX

Edit. Also how sturdy are aio tubes. Feels like i have to bend these to breaking in order to have the logo right side up

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Kilazar posted:

Focus+ platinum 650 PX
It only comes with a single CPU cable. Seasonic are actually about to update their Focus Plus SKUs and the new revisions (just called Focus GX/PX instead of Focus Plus) all come with two.

I think it should work with just the single 8 pin anyway.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi thread, is this a good place to ask about KVM switches? I have never used one before but, after doing some research I feel like a KVM switch would be exactly what I need:
I will get to work from home two days a week by the end of the year. I have two monitors on my desk at home; I have three monitors at work. I have a docking station for my laptop at home. I would like to be able to swap between using my keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitors with as little hassle as possible

Therefore, is my conclusion that I should use a KVM switch a good one? And if so, could the thread recommend one for me? I did a search for them and there seems to be an astounding number of choices and I have no idea how to judge them. Thank you!

I was in a similar situation, with multiple monitors, a personal PC, and a work laptop.

I ended up getting a USB hub for the peripherals and an HDMI switch for the monitors. The two reasons for this were

1. It's MUCH cheaper

2. I can easily set various combinations of monitors rather than one or the other.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Woohoo! It posts! And accepted the XMP profile!

Soooo do I worry about not having that second 4pin for power to the mobo or just let it be? I'm installing windows now.

Now I just need my video card to get here. I don't think I would recomend Super Biiz. My video card still has not shipped, ordered it on the 30th. :(

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 6, 2019

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

Stickman posted:

$500 is definitely a tough price point (and prices are actually up 5-10% for a lot of parts in the last few months). Here's a couple of suggestions for ~$550, plus a 700 build:
PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $569.61

CPU: The 9100f is nominally a better gaming CPU because it has faster single-core performance, but there are three major, major caveats. First, most games are not CPU-limited until you get well above 60-fps (running more frames means more load on the CPU), so there will be little or no difference in average frame rates for most demanding games running under 60fps and games running over 60fps are over the monitor's refresh rate anyway. Second, having 6 cores and 12 simultaneous threads helps stabilize frame pacing and minimum frame rate - even when the average frame rate is lower this leads to a smoother gaming experience. Quad-core processors are already having issues with some newer games, so they're tough to recommend. Third, AMD's AM4 platform has much better (and cheaper) upgrade options than Intel's. The Pro4 is sufficient for everything up to through 8-core 3rd-generation 3700X, and a 12-core 3900X would still work decently well. B450 motherboards might even be compatible with the upcoming 4th-gen CPUs, though we don't have official confirmation yet.

Motherboard: The Pro4 is an excellent entry-level B450 mATX board. If you would rather go with a full ATX board and case, the MSi B450-A Pro is just $10 more. It has better power management (meaning better support for more power-hungry processors if you decide to upgrade down the line), but lacks is missing the Pro4's second (SATA-only) M.2 slot.

Memory: $7 for the upgrade to 3200 is a decent value since 1st/2nd gen Ryzen CPUs perform better with faster RAM. If you stick with the 9100f, be aware that B365 motherboards won't run RAM faster than 2666MHz. It'll still work, it just won't run at the advertised speed.

Storage: I'd consider sacrificing some storage space for the larger SSD. It's much nicer for the OS and for load times, and you can get a cheap external drive for mass storage at a later point when it fills up.

Video Card: The 570 is a good entry-level 1080p card, but I'd strongly consider spending the extra $10 for the 8GB model. It also includes a small a performance boost.

Case: If you want to keep costs down the Deepcool is decent enough, but the Q300L has much better build quality and cable management. The Antec P7 is an excellent choice for full ATX at the same price.

Power Supply: They both have 5-year warranties, but the Seasonic is a bit cheaper.

For $700, I'd recommend something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($132.90 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $716.72

The 2600 is a decent performance boost over the 2600. Like the 9100F you won't see much of a difference right now at 1080p/60Hz but as games get more intensive you'll start seeing a small difference. The ex920 is a decent endurance/performance boost over the 660p for a small upgrade cost. The Seasonic Focus Plus gold is a more efficient, fully-modular PSU with a 10-year warranty.

If you want to save $35, the 580 is an excellent 1080p card as well. I'd recommend at least a XFX 580 8GB for $180. The 1660p is a decent 10-20% boost over the 580, but depending on the games your kid will be playing it might not really be necessary and you could just put the difference towards games or more storage space or maybe a fancier case like the Fractal Design Meshify C Mini (or ATX equivalent). Babeltech has a good comprehensive benchmark for 1660 performance across a variety of games. Note that they're all at Ultra/Very High settings so you can get quite a bit better frame rates by turning down settings. A 580 should perform about halfway between the 480 and 590 numbers.

E: You can pick up a Windows 7 Pro key for $25 on SAMart and use that to activate Windows 10 Pro. If you have an old Windows 7/8/10 key from a computer that you no longer use, there's a good chance that would work too!

Thank you, this is very helpful. Is there any reason to stick with microATX over full ATX? I was only looking at micro ATX because that's what all the budget builds online were using.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

shookwell posted:

Thank you, this is very helpful. Is there any reason to stick with microATX over full ATX? I was only looking at micro ATX because that's what all the budget builds online were using.

They're smaller and cheaper. The downside is only middling-quality mATX B450 boards exist, though it's not really a big issue. Nicer boards can have features that won't really impact performance and better power delivery that only matters if you're trying to OC a high core count part.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kilazar posted:

Soooo do I worry about not having that second 4pin for power to the mobo or just let it be? I'm installing windows now.
Probably not, unless you think you will overclock to the point where it will need that much power. Sort of like my motherboard that has two 8 pin aux power inputs, but it is entirely pointless to me because I'll never be clocking my system to the point where the CPU would pull the excess of 500w needed to make connecting the second one necessary (although since my PSU had the outputs I connected it anyway just because I could).

So if your PSU has the outputs, by all means plug em in but don't expect it to change anything other than just spreading the load out over a larger surface area.

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

Stickman posted:

$500 is definitely a tough price point (and prices are actually up 5-10% for a lot of parts in the last few months). Here's a couple of suggestions for ~$550, plus a 700 build:
PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $569.61

I think I am going to go with this build. Does it require that I buy anything else? Maybe another fan or two? Looks like the case comes with 1, is that enough?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Probably not, unless you think you will overclock to the point where it will need that much power. Sort of like my motherboard that has two 8 pin aux power inputs, but it is entirely pointless to me because I'll never be clocking my system to the point where the CPU would pull the excess of 500w needed to make connecting the second one necessary (although since my PSU had the outputs I connected it anyway just because I could).

So if your PSU has the outputs, by all means plug em in but don't expect it to change anything other than just spreading the load out over a larger surface area.

Thanks!

Ok RGB, I'm using masteplus and it doesn't seem to want to do anything to my fans. I can set them by clicking the button directly on the cooler master controller just fine. But if I try to add an affect in masterplus the fans are all just doing what I pressed on the controller last. I have the usb mini connector going to one of my usb controllers directly on the mobo. As far as I can tell, it is hooked up correctly. Anyone using the coolermaster controller that comes with their AIO's?

Nevermind it finally just started working. I had to restart the software.

Ok something is still wonky, every video I watch people have a "Lighting Maker" option up top with Overview and Configuration. I only have Overview and configuration. When I set my argb to "customization" I see all the LED's options but nothing happens when I try to click in the grey box where you would select a color. I don't get a color map. Just a "Lighting Effect Undefind effect" in the header of the section. Any thoughts?

https://imgur.com/piSjGzd

I can use all the default effects. I just don't seem to be able to set it to a custom effect. See imgur image for what I get when I try to set it as customization.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 6, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So now that I've got my computer up, is the Secunia PSI link from the OP still up to date? The link goes to Flexera which seems to be a company for IT software jazz?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Johnny Truant posted:

So now that I've got my computer up, is the Secunia PSI link from the OP still up to date? The link goes to Flexera which seems to be a company for IT software jazz?

Secunia PSI was discontinued a while back. I use Patch My PC now.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So here's my current build buuuut I'm in the market for a new mobo since the ethernet port on it died and sometimes all the USB devices disconnect. I figure I may as well get a slightly better CPU and 2x8GB DDR4 ram while I'm at it.

quote:

CPU: AMD FX 8320E
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3
Storage: 500GB SSD, 500GB HDD, 1TB HDD (all SATA)
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

I listed some vague options for replacements below but I'm not really attached to anything. Is there anything I should DEFINITELY look for? Maybe get a better cooling fan for the CPU if I'm feeling fancy? A specific socket to look for to future proof somewhat?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($247.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-06 02:04 EDT-0400

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Games
What's your budget? $400-$600?
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have two 1080p monitors of different sizes, and I mostly just want games to look nice and run at a steady 60fps (which they pretty much already do tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xad posted:

So here's my current build buuuut I'm in the market for a new mobo since the ethernet port on it died and sometimes all the USB devices disconnect. I figure I may as well get a slightly better CPU and 2x8GB DDR4 ram while I'm at it.

I listed some vague options for replacements below but I'm not really attached to anything. Is there anything I should DEFINITELY look for? Maybe get a better cooling fan for the CPU if I'm feeling fancy? A specific socket to look for to future proof somewhat?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($247.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-06 02:04 EDT-0400

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Games
What's your budget? $400-$600?
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have two 1080p monitors of different sizes, and I mostly just want games to look nice and run at a steady 60fps (which they pretty much already do tbh)

That would be fine for what you want to do, but for just gaming (and especially if your current CPU is just fine for what you do) I’d consider dropping down to a $135 2600 or $145 2600x. At 1080p/60hz you’re unlikely to see a difference in gaming performance for years, and with a B450 you can drop in any second or third (or maybe even fourth) generation Ryzen when it’s starts feeling slow.

The Tomahawk is a great choice, but the MSi B450-A Pro is nearly as good and saves you $35 (just a very small power management downgrade, but power management is more than sufficient for even a 2700x (or 3900x!)

If you bought your power supply with you CPU, it’s probably getting close to the end of its 5-year warranty - I’d consider replacing it once it’s warranty is up. We generally recommend whatever’s currently cheapest of the Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G1+/G2/G3, or Corsair RMx (2018 or 2029).

E: If you don’t have a big SSD, that’s another potential add. The 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (gumstick-style) drive is just $110 right now!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 6, 2019