Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

When billionaires litter, they do it on a grand scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

Buy a $20 kit from china to reprogram it to a regular electric scooter without gps or payments. Praxis.
link?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Koishi Komeiji posted:

You just answered your own question:

The system could work in theory but so could buses and passenger trains. There's too much money to be made and too many greedy assholes for this to be implemented the way it should.

Well so smash capitalism I guess seems to be the underlying fundamental answer to like 90% of society's ills.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

gently caress scooters because valley rear end in a top hat companies dump them onto cities and think they have no responsibility afterwards. it's an enormous negative externality

extraterrestial archaeologists will one day consider it the peak of our wasteful society

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

From GiP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR7qcsNTic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

extraterrestial archaeologists will one day consider it the peak of our wasteful society

Well at least 500 million years from now all that will be left of humanity is a thin rock strata marking a mass extinction event, full of carbonates and weird oil that started as polymers instead of plants and localized pockets that are anomalously high in metals and radioactivity and aluminum and cobalt mixed with lithium salts, and any aliens that analyze it will probably only be able to determine that a civilization existed and that they hosed everything up real bad, and then they'll be like "lol" and fly off to the next planet

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

https://scootertalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1643&fbclid=IwAR0-b9xJKny5r5adXwc6gocfXbqZ9scA1fpgX5t8L7f7afbT9RZU33Exqnk#p1643

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i bought a crepe pan on impulse today to give myself my little capitalism dopamine rush for the week.

yes I know you can make crepes in any non-stick pan but i like the shallow skillet that makes them easier to flip and round out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skillets dont have walls though?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

skillets dont have walls though?

they do

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you're thinking of a griddle

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

that's good skillet

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wish there were maker spaces (read: community nonprofit hippie kind) for cookware and ovens and poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

I wish there were maker spaces (read: community nonprofit hippie kind) for cookware and ovens and poo poo

they're called churches, or maybe your local Grange hall

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

that's good skillet

Cast iron owns and they can last forever, I’ve been trying to use mine more lately.

It’s really weird to see a product advertised as something that can last 100 years

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Shared Kitchen
https://smallbiztrends.com/2019/03/shared-kitchen.html

Chef's Spaces
https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/chef-space-hourly-program-giving-rise-to-new-chef-entrepreneurs/

Shared-use Kitchen Spaces
https://www.newventureadvisors.net/good-food-glossary-shared-use-kitchen/

There are a lot of these nowadays. Most of the big names are (naturally) commercial or "disruptive".

More local/colab places tend to be hard to find but the right Google search with your local city name should help you find one near you.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I've been into enameled cast iron lately since I'm lazy and find them easier to clean. Le Cruset seems to make the best stuff but it is $$$. You can't do better than a regular old cast iron skillet for searing stuff though. Gotta take care of it for best results.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

There's a place near me where you can just bring ingredients and use their professional kitchen equipment to make whatever, though I think it's for-profit...

e: I just looked it up and apparently it's an entire massive commercial kitchen that's FDA certified in a way that lets you sell the stuff you make, and you have to rent the whole thing and have a special certification to use it (though the certification only costs like $35) which still sounds like it'd be fun

... except you have to buy a membership ($200) and rent it for at least 8 hours ($169.99) so nevermind :v:

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like its intended more as a way to socialize the cost of a professional kitchen for small (like, actually small, out of your home kitchen) businesses

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What a coincidence that we were discussing private vs public scooter/bike systems earlier today:
Uber sues Chicago for exclusive bike-share deal with Lyft

quote:

Originally Uber offered a $450 million dollar investment with a faster timeline than Lyft. However, at the time the city said: “A majority of the money [Uber] did propose represents their own costs to purchase and operate equipment they would own,” and in the deal with Lyft the city would be able to “maintain control and roll out the bikes in an orderly fashion.”

Active Transportation Alliance supported the deal with Lyft, according to Streetsblog Chicago which outlined the differences between the two proposals. One of the major issues with Jump is that it would have privatized the bike-share system and allowed the company to remove bikes at anytime—that’s happened with privately-owned dockless fleets in other cities.

Jump is Uber's bike company. They're mad that the city turned down their generous offer of the city having absolutely zero oversight or control over the bikes littering the sidewalks throughout the city.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
There's a great spot in my city that is designed as an incubator for small ethical food businesses that can't afford to lease their own space / outfit a kitchen yet.

It operates 4 small commercial kitchens in a big warehouse space, and each kitchen has a small serving booth attached. The warehouse has a bar and seating etc, so it's like having four or five different restaurants in one space that change each night. The kitchens are also 24 hrs so some food makers come in late at night / early in the morning to make things that don't need immediate serving, like pickled goods or dog food, and sell them offsite. It owns.

Of course they just got served with a notice to move out in the next year or two so a developer can build yet another apartment building there.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Car culture has been massively more destructive and awful than escooters. Smash car culture.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

two things can be bad at once, some say even three things

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

T-man posted:

two things can be bad at once, some say even three things

Five is right out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sitchensis posted:

Car culture has been massively more destructive and awful than escooters. Smash car culture.

This mindset is distilled liberalism.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hollandia posted:

There's a great spot in my city that is designed as an incubator for small ethical food businesses that can't afford to lease their own space / outfit a kitchen yet.

It operates 4 small commercial kitchens in a big warehouse space, and each kitchen has a small serving booth attached. The warehouse has a bar and seating etc, so it's like having four or five different restaurants in one space that change each night. The kitchens are also 24 hrs so some food makers come in late at night / early in the morning to make things that don't need immediate serving, like pickled goods or dog food, and sell them offsite. It owns.

Of course they just got served with a notice to move out in the next year or two so a developer can build yet another apartment building there.

gently caress that sounds cool

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC there's been bikeshare programs tried out in some cities and they're usually comically undersupplied and underfunded and abandoned instantly.

Plenty of European cities have had successful bikeshare programs for like ~15 years now.

Larry Parrish posted:

This mindset is distilled liberalism.

Cager spotted.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Great news, you can now buy plastic "collectible" figures of your favorite Twitch streamers!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
ninja's not a twitch streamer, old man

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks, I hate it

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Wanting to know more about SharkBite: Duck Boat

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I don't know any of these motherfuckers.

That's probably a good thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Forceholy posted:

I don't know any of these motherfuckers.

That's probably a good thing.

Dr. Disrespect got kicked out of E3 for filming minors taking a piss

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

From the latest America mass shooter thread:

Rad-daddio posted:

Here's a gallery of things that you can buy in the USA to help with mass shootings.

Most of them are school-related, because lol no one can take are gunz no matter what

Bulletproof backpack:

Door stopper to block shooter:

yep:

Mini battlefield trauma kit for schools:

Every school nurse should have one

Bullet-resistant insert for school bag

Another portable bullet barrier

There's too many different bulletproof backpacks to include here

Here's a home made solution to make school lock downs safer

Another school shooter door block thx capitalism

Another door barricade

Another active shooter trauma kit. These are like the bullet back packs; there's too many to cover

gently caress it, here's a link to a whole page of active shooter first aid stuff. Funy how they don't need these in Europe...
https://www.moreprepared.com/survival-kits/school-emergency-kit/active-shooter-kits

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lambert posted:

Great news, you can now buy plastic "collectible" figures of your favorite Twitch streamers!

wow that's awful.... no admiralbulldog...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Didn't Dr. Disrespect get banned from Twitch for live-streaming a minor's dong in the lavvy?

e: Oh, he was suspended for two whole weeks.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Aug 6, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Doggles posted:

What a coincidence that we were discussing private vs public scooter/bike systems earlier today:
Uber sues Chicago for exclusive bike-share deal with Lyft

Jump is Uber's bike company. They're mad that the city turned down their generous offer of the city having absolutely zero oversight or control over the bikes littering the sidewalks throughout the city.

i was just thinking that cities should pick just one company and regulate it. but lol this is america if you do that a competitor will sue you for desecrating holy competition.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

500 good dogs posted:

gently caress that sounds cool

Just rock up to Brisbane, Australia.

Elman posted:

From the latest America mass shooter thread:

This is so depressing.

Streamer funkopops is a nexus of banality I really should have seen coming.

And the real answer to lovely rental scooters is a cordless angle grinder :science:

Hollandia has issued a correction as of 12:26 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If it might make gamers wash themselves with soap and water I can't be against this.