Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I hadn’t read the earlier Dresden books in so long that I’d forgotten he has basically the same origin story as Alex Verus. Both had evil mentors that tried to convert them but ended up dead or missing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a dark apprentice, until-

bobjr posted:

I always though Harry getting out of a police investigation due to a villain forgetting his name to be kinda funny.

He's just lucky all his wanted posters had him in a hat.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Decided the only sane thing to do is read the first dresden files book and see how bad it is compared to my memory!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Kea posted:

Decided the only sane thing to do is read the first dresden files book and see how bad it is compared to my memory!

I'm rereading it for the first time. Parts are rough but still catchy. Others are "Yikes" or "Ugh".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daric posted:

I hadn’t read the earlier Dresden books in so long that I’d forgotten he has basically the same origin story as Alex Verus. Both had evil mentors that tried to convert them but ended up dead or missing instead.

Verus starts off pretty bluntly as someone's Dresden fanfiction, he even does the "mention a Wizard in Chicago" thing that is so popular. It smooths out as the books go on but yeah.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just finished the latest Verus book and uhhh, wow. The last two books really picked up the pace didn't they. Also the whole Djinn thing getting resolved in about half a book kind of threw me. Was expecting much more from that (maybe there is more coming?)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kea posted:

"....last seen in a fetal position muttering "Werewolf rape gang bangs""

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tithin posted:

"....last seen in a fetal position muttering "Werewolf rape gang bangs""

That's book 2.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

In non-Werewolf gang bang news, Craig Schaefer's newest book The Loot comes out tomorrow. It doesn't state it's explicitly Urban Fantasy, but then again neither did Ghosts of Gothom in the book description. It's from a normal publisher so it isn't Kindle Unlimited but it's only $4.99 and has a sequel lined up next July. And next up in my Kindle order queue is the 10th book for Alex Verus on September 24th, The Fallen.

For a laugh I checked if Amazon still had a listing for Peace Talks....so hopefully the editor will have that out next spring.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Craig has been pretty adamant that it's a straight mystery/thriller with no fantastical elements.

Doesn't mean they aren't there, just saying.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

ImpAtom posted:

Verus starts off pretty bluntly as someone's Dresden fanfiction, he even does the "mention a Wizard in Chicago" thing that is so popular. It smooths out as the books go on but yeah.

Forgot about that, means that Verus, Dresden, and Rivers of London exist in the same world lol

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Seanan McGuire did an UF listicle that may be of interest.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

That was a fun read thank you. Some books I have never heard of, some I forgot were so good even if the series went tits up (BLAKE)

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
all werewolf sex in the dresden files book 2 is consensual, thank you very much

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ninurta posted:

and has a sequel lined up next July.

Guy's slipping.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Trip report on book 1. Not the worst urban fantasy I have read for sure, some real cringe in there though, specifically his inner monologue anytime murphy is around is just awful.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a dark apprentice, until-

*extremely Irish Chicago Cop Stereotype voice* ChiCOWgo

Bruce Campbell would be a really good Bob, I'm just saying.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Kea posted:

Trip report on book 1. Not the worst urban fantasy I have read for sure, some real cringe in there though, specifically his inner monologue anytime murphy is around is just awful.

Honestly Murphy is the worst longest running part of Dresden and I wish she’d had the good sense to transfer out.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Junkenstein posted:

Guy's slipping.
It's only because he has the next Harmony Black book and next Faust book lined up between now and next July.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Ornamented Death posted:

Craig has been pretty adamant that it's a straight mystery/thriller with no fantastical elements.

Doesn't mean they aren't there, just saying.

If they're present, they're reaally good at hiding. It's not a bad tale, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable follow-ups. It has a bit of the "protag has very specific unusual skill, problems conveniently fall into things handled by this skill" issue, but it was a fun read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anias posted:

Honestly Murphy is the worst longest running part of Dresden and I wish she’d had the good sense to transfer out.

Murphy is much better than Anything White Court and Will I Bang My Best Friends Daughter Who I Can't Describe Without The Words Training Bra

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Murphy is much better than Anything White Court and Will I Bang My Best Friends Daughter Who I Can't Describe Without The Words Training Bra

I really don't want to hear about the tips of Molly's breasts anymore.

I actually like Murphy but think she, as a character, suffers a bit from how Jim handled her in those first few books. And honestly? She's been in poo poo-or-get-off-the-pot town for a while. Either she should have had a power up to keep her relevant in the current narrative, or given her a few good scenes that clearly show she's capable ( without power-ups ) of standing on her own as a human.

And I don't mean scenes where she's one of the team helping out in the background ( like at the tower ), or one where she's second fiddle to Dresden. And I don't mean no short story that isn't even in the main body of works.

It feels like everyone and their dog ( literally, in the case of Mouse ) has gotten a 'boost' except for Murphy.

It sucks because it feels like no matter what she does, she ends up the punching bag. And she's lost her job, pretty much- her entire life, following Harry, following her 'mission'. And she's gotten nothing for it.

It's just depressing. It feels like she's being torn down for a 'rebirth', but a part of me just wonders if she's being kept as a perpetual punching bag because she's Dresden's designated waifu. It really feels like post-Changes, she should have had something. Either something that cemented her as a character that demonstrates a human can fight the supernatural on their own terms, with their own humanity- or that boost.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Alphas really haven’t gotten anything new except being more experienced and mature, but they’re often the “bad guy really isn’t messing around” punching bag now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I actually like Murphy but think she, as a character, suffers a bit from how Jim handled her in those first few books. And honestly? She's been in poo poo-or-get-off-the-pot town for a while. Either she should have had a power up to keep her relevant in the current narrative, or given her a few good scenes that clearly show she's capable ( without power-ups ) of standing on her own as a human.

And I don't mean scenes where she's one of the team helping out in the background ( like at the tower ), or one where she's second fiddle to Dresden. And I don't mean no short story that isn't even in the main body of works.

It feels like everyone and their dog ( literally, in the case of Mouse ) has gotten a 'boost' except for Murphy.

It sucks because it feels like no matter what she does, she ends up the punching bag. And she's lost her job, pretty much- her entire life, following Harry, following her 'mission'. And she's gotten nothing for it.

It's just depressing. It feels like she's being torn down for a 'rebirth', but a part of me just wonders if she's being kept as a perpetual punching bag because she's Dresden's designated waifu. It really feels like post-Changes, she should have had something. Either something that cemented her as a character that demonstrates a human can fight the supernatural on their own terms, with their own humanity- or that boost.

I still maintain that Murphy's power is ultimately as a leader and an organizer, and I think that's probably where her story is going. She arguably did have that post-Changes, particularly in Ghost Story where we saw her single-handedly holding a coalition of natural enemies together to defend Chicago.

I don't think there's any indication at all that Butcher wants her to be sidelined, or to be Harry's arm candy and nothing else (except to the extent that the series isn't called The Murphy Files...and, you know, I'd read that series); that's decidedly not how the character's ever been written, but I think the fact that the last thing we've seen from her was a major defeat (arguably her first one in the series) and the fact that it's been so long since then makes it all too easy to focus on that right now, and not who she's been for most of the series.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
On thing that occurred to me the other day about Verus,

I kind of wonder if Richard has had, or obtained a Dreamstone before Alex got him the other one. That he used his time in the isolated realm to grow familiar with it while remaining safe and isolated from the Council, and using the stone as a means to communicate with Mordin and others, including Alex.

Just a thought.

bobjr posted:

The Alphas really haven’t gotten anything new except being more experienced and mature, but they’re often the “bad guy really isn’t messing around” punching bag now.

I don't really like that, either. And I"m fine with Murphy being an organizer, but it doesn't feel like what the series was building her up to be- especially when so much of her stuff in the series has involved jumping into things and getting her combat on.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Based on the sort story that takes place after Peace Talks that got posted around Christmas:

I'm betting she bites it in Peace Talks and then comes back as an einherjar in a later book.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Just read that short story, and you may be correct, though I do find it strange that he wrote a short story that takes place after Peace Talks and published it roughly a year before Peace Talks even comes out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Wait where is this short story? Apparently it got published and I never heard a peep.

Edit: I just realized I never finished Brief Cases. I bet it's in there. I should get around to finishing that at some point, I don't think I've read any of those short stories before.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I just googled it and it was in a google doc

Edit: http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2018/new-short-story-christmas-eve

Daric fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 1, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drone Jett posted:

Harry Connolly is going to write a 20 Palaces sequel and is doing a kickstarter to determine how many words it will be. Not sure this is a great way to go about deciding that, but it's probably worth $4 for a future copy if you already liked the series.

http://harryjconnolly.com/the-iron-gate-a-new-break-kickstarter-campaign/

By way of update, the campaign has reached the upper limit on word count, which means we'll be getting two new Twenty Palaces novels.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

By way of update, the campaign has reached the upper limit on word count, which means we'll be getting two new Twenty Palaces novels.

Mother of god

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Ornamented Death posted:

I backed his last kickstarter and it was...kinda meh. Hopefully since this is Twenty Palaces it will get back on track like the last Novella he wrote in the setting. It's on my watch and see list so I will probably end up tossing him money before the deadline.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ninurta posted:

I backed his last kickstarter and it was...kinda meh. Hopefully since this is Twenty Palaces it will get back on track like the last Novella he wrote in the setting. It's on my watch and see list so I will probably end up tossing him money before the deadline.

At four bucks for two full-length novels, even if they are mediocre, you've gotten your money's worth.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Ninurta posted:

It definitely felt rushed. Maybe it could have used some extra editing or something. I backed the new one as well, so fingers crossed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really happy the Twenty Palaces got funded, but what I'd really love to see would be the sequel to A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So I checked back in with the Rook for an episode after writing it off four episodes ago as unwatchable trash. Holy poo poo is it got even worse:

Myfanwy’s sister is part of an anti-Chequy resistance.

Gestalt is in love with Myfanwy and hurt that she didn’t trust them with her memory loss. And is loving Olivia Munn’s character.

Farrier is a villain (sort of, who the gently caress knows the story makes no sense) and has some sort of massive stunning power instead of her dream abilities.

Myfanwy tells the whole court about the memory loss after being interrogated by Grantchester who is now “King.”

Grantchester is probably going to be revealed as the overall villain planning some coup to take over the Chequy and government. Again poo poo makes no sense.

It fully departed adaptation or even reimagining and has landed in completely different story except with a handful of similar sounding or feeling things.

I’m still completely perplexed at why they even bought the rights. Parts of Gestalt and the memory loss are the only unique things they really kept from the book. Everything else was scrapped or so heavily changed it is unrecognizable other than a name. Good for O’Malley on getting some kind of royalty off them using 1% of his story.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just finished my reread of the second book. Arguably worse than the first to be honest. MUCH more awful Dresden perving, specifically the female hexenwolf he CONSTANTLY mentions her boobs, often times 2 or 3 times in the space of a page or two. Also Murphy is loving horrible in this book too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Agreed, the second book is worst one in the series. I just skipped it in my recent reread.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s the worst book but I liked the Loup Garou attack in the police building. It had a good sense of dread and trying to figure out what to do with an unstoppable monster running loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fool Moon is the weakest book in the series but Murphy Did Nothing Wrong (aside from being on the business end of the worst kind of sitcom "a five minute conversation would have cleared all this up" plotting).