Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
No it's not, morals and laws are still different things. The morality of following the law while paying taxes isn't to pay the government as much as possible, it's to play by the same rules available to the rest of the players. Not my fault they don't want to spend the time to min/max.

Alternatively, the federal government is investing tens of billions into pipeline and expansions while using your tax bucks to keep this bubble going with Shared Equity mortgages, at a certain point we're crossing a line where it's reprehensible to not withhold as much as legally possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

incontinence 100 posted:

*forms a corporation*
*gets paid into it*
*claims a metric fuckload of bullshit business expenses against it*
*draws an income from it and pays way less income tax than everyone else*

*is rewarded and lauded by conservatives as a small business owner*

:hmmyes: very moral and legal

This is how us tech bros roll, my expenses are all 2legit

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh they're different things. I see.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Please don't act like I support this government.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No it's not, morals and laws are still different things. The morality of following the law while paying taxes isn't to pay the government as much as possible, it's to play by the same rules available to the rest of the players. Not my fault they don't want to spend the time to min/max.

Alternatively, the federal government is investing tens of billions into pipeline and expansions while using your tax bucks to keep this bubble going with Shared Equity mortgages, at a certain point we're crossing a line where it's reprehensible to not withhold as much as legally possible.

The pipeline and the propping up of the housing market are both lovely wastes of money by the federal government.

That said, your entire line of argument is reiterating the right-wing libertarian viewpoint that the government is some shady third party that rich people should be "shielding" their money from. The government is the people. You elect them. And for every lovely pipeline deal they're spending orders of magnitude more money on education, healthcare, science, infrastructure, the arts, and a whole range of other key services that are critical to the way of life of you and everyone else in the country.

Saying that it's a moral obligation to avoid paying taxes is just saying that rich people should avoid doing their share and leave poor people with less access to government services. It's straight up Randian FYGM-ism.

Edit: also the whole line about how everyone plays by the same rules is an even bigger crock of poo poo. The rules are set up to ensure that the people with the most money are most able to avoid taxes. Poor and lower-middle-class people do not have the time to min/max the tax system, or the money to pay accountants and lawyers to do that for them.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 1, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The pipeline and the propping up of the housing market are both lovely wastes of money by the federal government.

That said, your entire line of argument is reiterating the right-wing libertarian viewpoint that the government is some shady third party that rich people should be "shielding" their money from. The government is the people. You elect them. And for every lovely pipeline deal they're spending orders of magnitude more money on education, healthcare, science, infrastructure, the arts, and a whole range of other key services that are critical to the way of life of you and everyone else in the country.

Saying that it's a moral obligation to avoid paying taxes is just saying that rich people should avoid doing their share and leave poor people with less access to government services. It's straight up Randian FYGM-ism.

Edit: also the whole line about how everyone plays by the same rules is an even bigger crock of poo poo. The rules are set up to ensure that the people with the most money are most able to avoid taxes. Poor and lower-middle-class people do not have the time to min/max the tax system, or the money to pay accountants and lawyers to do that for them.

Yep, there's different rules for different levels but the rules should at least be the same for people at the same level. In an earlier post, I pointed out that the government was holding the bag for maintaining that unfair system. Hate the game, not the player. One of many reasons that I am not the government and they're not me. Even if you accept that, certainly the poor and lower class should especially be working as a group to maximize legal tax avoidance?

RRSPs are avoiding taxes. The government (being me/the people in this argument) wants me to do it. I want me to avoid taxes to contribute to my retirement, to fund my kids' RESPs, to buy a house, to start a small business and to reinvest into that business. There are dozens of programs like RRSPs that the government me has set up to benefit the taxpayer me, I'm not immoral for knowing what they all are or hiring someone who does, in fact I think it'd make me very happy with myself.

e: and lol that the government cares about providing poor people with access to services, even the most progressive government we've ever had publicly declares daily that their main concern is the middle class and those working hard to join it. A good person is far better off maximizing their donations to organizations that actually care which is gonna mean minimizing their tax burden.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 1, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd argue yes in the domain of how much tax should you feel obligated to pay. A good accountant isn't less moral than a bad one and a person isn't bad for choosing an accountant that will legally get them a larger return.

Is all legal financial maximization moral then, or just the magic special ones classified as “tax”?

Surely if utterly maximizing rent (which lets the landlord’s kids go to a better university, after all) or operating a predatory loan business were in any way immoral, the government would make it illegal.

If you move to the US, contributing to your RESP is no longer tax deductible. Does that change the morality of reducing your tax by that amount, or just the legality?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 1, 2019

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You're morally richer than you think.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

Is all legal financial maximization moral then, or just the magic special ones classified as “tax”?

Surely if utterly maximizing rent (which lets the landlord’s kids go to a better university, after all) or operating a predatory loan business were in any way immoral, the government would make it illegal.

If you move to the US, contributing to your RESP is no longer tax deductible. Does that change the morality of reducing your tax by that amount, or just the legality?

The morality of taxes is contingent on the legality of taxes because of the "playing by the same rules" notion. Other canadians living in the US can't reduce their tax by that amount for that incentive so you shouldn't either. The government doesn't behave like a non-profit charity and they shouldn't be treated like one for ethical purposes. It's lazy to pretend that giving money to the government is better than taking some time to scrimp it back and then giving that plus the tax savings from donating to a good actual non-profit.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Find a good non-profit that builds and runs roads, transit, schools, libraries, hospitals, utilities and emergency services, giving their employees reasonable wages and benefits.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In the States, the poor and middle classes are also being audited at higher rates than the rich. One wonders how Canada treats tax audits..

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in Toronto landlords have found one weird trick to evict anyone. Just have a family member or someone you want to replace the tenant buy a 1% share of ownership of the building, congrats, that person is now a landlord and can force the tenants out so they can make "personal use" of the building.

There should be zero loopholes in tenant's rights related to owners or family. Why should a landlord or their family members have special tenancy-trumping powers? The only valid evictions should be because the person hasn't paid rent in X months or are extremely disruptive or dangerous. Not because the landlord's niece is moving here for school. She can find a rental like anyone else, her blood shouldn't give housing rights smashing powers.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Tax is legalized theft in the same way that laws are legalized violence. There's avoiding taxes which is legal and everyone's moral obligation. Then there's tax evasion which is illegal and reprehensible.

It's fine for me to max my RRSP to lower my taxes. It's fine for me to take a short term loan from the bank to do the same. It's fine for the bank to lend me the money and get paid interest cashing in on my tax benefit. As long as it's legal and not a glaring loophole involving offshore accounts or morneau-shepelle, the only immoral tax avoidance is paying more than half of the tax owed to avoid it. As a general rule, it's not immoral to make more income than other people (legally) so the other side of that coin is that it's not immoral to lower expenses (legally).

Nah, the legal code should be set up and enforced so that a house is first and foremost a person's home and not just a number on a balance sheet. If someone owns the deed to a home and has been occupying it for years then it is their house and they should keep it regardless of what a terrible, entitled and ungrateful person they happened to be. The court shouldn't go out of its way to protect the idea that a home is first and foremost an investment that you expect to profit off of by selling for more than it was bought for.

The morality of taxes is contingent on the legality of taxes because of the "playing by the same rules" notion. Other canadians living in the US can't reduce their tax by that amount for that incentive so you shouldn't either. The government doesn't behave like a non-profit charity and they shouldn't be treated like one for ethical purposes. It's lazy to pretend that giving money to the government is better than taking some time to scrimp it back and then giving that plus the tax savings from donating to a good actual non-profit.

Most of this activity - both the elaborate regulations required to set up and maintain such an arrangement, and the homo economicus behaviour required to flourish within - are abhorrent. I don't blame individuals for playing the cards they are dealt but the game itself shouldn't even be possible to play. All this mental energy dedicated to min maxing your tax burden could be used for something more useful like a fantasy football league.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah here's the article.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/toronto-tenants-fight-back-after-new-landlord-buys-1-stake-in-house-and-evicts-them-1.5230259

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Most of this activity - both the elaborate regulations required to set up and maintain such an arrangement, and the homo economicus behaviour required to flourish within - are abhorrent. I don't blame individuals for playing the cards they are dealt but the game itself shouldn't even be possible to play. All this mental energy dedicated to min maxing your tax burden could be used for something more useful like a fantasy football league.

Well, the minnest min is to just hire an accountant or tax lawyer, the system keeps those whackos segregated and occupied at least.

Helsing posted:

Nah, the legal code should be set up and enforced so that a house is first and foremost a person's home and not just a number on a balance sheet. If someone owns the deed to a home and has been occupying it for years then it is their house and they should keep it regardless of what a terrible, entitled and ungrateful person they happened to be. The court shouldn't go out of its way to protect the idea that a home is first and foremost an investment that you expect to profit off of by selling for more than it was bought for.

Fine but that doesn't change the fact that basically every house you see is owned by the bank, almost nobody owns their house outright (and if they do, they aren't min/maxing properly because they should be using that equity to build more equity in a larger home in a nicer neighbourhood). I'm not even sure that the investment idea was key to R. v. Entitled Fatty, it was just a cost analysis between renting for 4 years vs buying and selling after the same time. Mortgage/interest/upkeep - tenant rent vs rent. Terrible of the daughter to try to keep the capital.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

So in Toronto landlords have found one weird trick to evict anyone. Just have a family member or someone you want to replace the tenant buy a 1% share of ownership of the building, congrats, that person is now a landlord and can force the tenants out so they can make "personal use" of the building.

There should be zero loopholes in tenant's rights related to owners or family. Why should a landlord or their family members have special tenancy-trumping powers? The only valid evictions should be because the person hasn't paid rent in X months or are extremely disruptive or dangerous. Not because the landlord's niece is moving here for school. She can find a rental like anyone else, her blood shouldn't give housing rights smashing powers.

Well if it's legal, it's moral.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well, the minnest min is to just hire an accountant or tax lawyer, the system keeps those whackos segregated and occupied at least.

Thinking about all those wasted nerd brains always reminds me of this scene from the film Margin Call, where one of the finance guys who has helped destroy the real economy reminisces about his original career.

quote:

Fine but that doesn't change the fact that basically every house you see is owned by the bank, almost nobody owns their house outright (and if they do, they aren't min/maxing properly because they should be using that equity to build more equity in a larger home in a nicer neighbourhood). I'm not even sure that the investment idea was key to R. v. Entitled Fatty, it was just a cost analysis between renting for 4 years vs buying and selling after the same time. Mortgage/interest/upkeep - tenant rent vs rent. Terrible of the daughter to try to keep the capital.

The question of whether it was an investment or a gift seems to be what the entire case hinges on though? For all intents and purposes they gave her the house and she legally owned it and then at a later point they said actually it was not a gift it was a poorly documented investment that was intentionally fudged to gain tax credits that the real purchases wasn't eligible for. The judge looked at the totality of the circumstances and decided based on everyone's stories and the available documentation that the parent's probably were telling the truth that they never gave their daughter the house and merely lied about it to avoid taxes.

It seems like if you're intentionally fudging ownership to avoid taxes then it's fair play if your partner in crime decides to abscond with the loot. There's no honour among thieves.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Thinking about all those wasted nerd brains always reminds me of this scene from the film Margin Call, where one of the finance guys who has helped destroy the real economy reminisces about his original career.

The question of whether it was an investment or a gift seems to be what the entire case hinges on though? For all intents and purposes they gave her the house and she legally owned it and then at a later point they said actually it was not a gift it was a poorly documented investment that was intentionally fudged to gain tax credits that the real purchases wasn't eligible for. The judge looked at the totality of the circumstances and decided based on everyone's stories and the available documentation that the parent's probably were telling the truth that they never gave their daughter the house and merely lied about it to avoid taxes.

It seems like if you're intentionally fudging ownership to avoid taxes then it's fair play if your partner in crime decides to abscond with the loot. There's no honour among thieves.

Yeah, I had the same thought walking around Wall Street at 8am and seeing the human tidal wave that produces nothing and everything.

There was a gift either way, they were going to pay her rent otherwise probably. This way, they used their capital to buy the house and the gift was having a place to live rent free (I guess she paid mortgages while collecting rent from the tenant that covered most of it?) and the idea was that it would a smaller gift in the long run than paying her rent through school. It's a big gift so why wouldn't the younger lady use some of her available tax breaks to mitigate the tax costs to her parents? The capital wasn't the gift, it was the tool that enabled the gift.

For thieves, it comes back to tax avoidance vs evasion. The government has all kinds of incentives to help you avoid taxes so they can't get that mad when someone goes an inch over the line. And it sounded like the girl tricked the parents into giving her the 99/1 ownership meaning she was planning this from the start, it wasn't a sudden surprise when she lost her home. Definitely feel the worst for the parents, like how do you even avoid your kids turning out that way.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

R. v. Entitled Fatty

:five:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Helsing posted:

Yeah this strikes me as one of those cases where, to the extent that a valid contract may have existed, it's entire purpose was to break the law, and so should be non-enforceable on those grounds.

I'm sure legally there's a difference between violating the criminal code and violating the tax code, but there probably shouldn't be.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. I agree that the 1% thing is bullshit (really, it should require 50% ownership to do this, and ideally require that the person with the ≥50% interest reside at the house for six months or a year), but a lot of small landlords are never going to put rentals onto the market if they have no ability to move themselves back in in case of an emergency.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

tagesschau posted:

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. I agree that the 1% thing is bullshit (really, it should require 50% ownership to do this, and ideally require that the person with the ≥50% interest reside at the house for six months or a year), but a lot of small landlords are never going to put rentals onto the market if they have no ability to move themselves back in in case of an emergency.

Good. Small landlords are terrible and the tax code and legal system should be set up so that all rental properties are owned by some kind of tightly regulated non-profit entity, if not the government. Other than wanting to avoid the disruption that a big change would cause there is absolutely no reason we should want to support small landlords, especially not when that requires taking away tenant rights just to keep the precious investor class feeling in control.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Helsing posted:

Good. Small landlords are terrible and the tax code and legal system should be set up so that all rental properties are owned by some kind of tightly regulated non-profit entity, if not the government. Other than wanting to avoid the disruption that a big change would cause there is absolutely no reason we should want to support small landlords, especially not when that requires taking away tenant rights just to keep the precious investor class feeling in control.

If you think things would be so much better if TCHC ran most of the rental stock, you must not know what those letters stand for. My building isn't made of glistening granite and glass, but at least my landlord fixes things when they break.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

tagesschau posted:

If you think things would be so much better if TCHC ran most of the rental stock, you must not know what those letters stand for. My building isn't made of glistening granite and glass, but at least my landlord fixes things when they break.

That's such a bullshit classic conservative, defund a public service then point out how it's terrible, line of crap. gently caress off.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

RBC posted:

That's such a bullshit classic conservative, defund a public service then point out how it's terrible, line of crap. gently caress off.

You can gently caress off unless you can point to a plausible situation in which the city owns my building and I'm not worse off.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 2, 2019

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The rich are taxed more and the funds are spent on social welfare

:shrug:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

tagesschau posted:

You can gently caress off unless you can point to a plausible situation in which the city owns my building and I'm not worse off.

I grew up in TCHC properties and while they were pretty utilitarian, cleaning and maintenance were pretty regular. It seemed like everything was triaged well - leaks and appliance failure were taken care of promptly, compared to say, peeling paint.

Over the past 5 years I've volunteered with a few programs across uptown and downtown buildings and the the money spent on enhanced physical security and beautification make them outwardly indistinguishable from other corporate apartment buildings.

This compared to a friend's new-built condo where water leaks are common, security is useless, nothing is allowed on balconies, and their maintenance fees (which rise with every builder-caused issue) may as well be their mortgage payment.

So yeah, I'll take a publicly funded agency with at least some oversight and accountability over another private property management group without either of those things.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

tagesschau posted:

I hope you are worse off. I could not care less.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

NZAmoeba posted:

The rich are taxed more and the funds are spent on social welfare

:shrug:

You've got it backwards friend. We print money to pay for social welfare, then tax the rich to control inflation.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I grew up in TCHC properties and while they were pretty utilitarian, cleaning and maintenance were pretty regular. It seemed like everything was triaged well - leaks and appliance failure were taken care of promptly, compared to say, peeling paint.

Over the past 5 years I've volunteered with a few programs across uptown and downtown buildings and the the money spent on enhanced physical security and beautification make them outwardly indistinguishable from other corporate apartment buildings.

This compared to a friend's new-built condo where water leaks are common, security is useless, nothing is allowed on balconies, and their maintenance fees (which rise with every builder-caused issue) may as well be their mortgage payment.

So yeah, I'll take a publicly funded agency with at least some oversight and accountability over another private property management group without either of those things.

I'm not sure what it's up to now, but they have something like a 2 billion capital repair backlog. Pointing to something that's underfunded by 2 billion, and saying heh, GOVERNMENT SUX!! LOL is grounds for a permaban, imo. It's just extreme stupidity.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

tagesschau posted:

There's a reason I didn't refer specifically to the TCHC, because I'm speaking more generally.

Toronto Community Housing has a repair backlog because in 1998 the Progressive Conservatives downloaded the costs of the program onto the city of Toronto, which is not the appropriate level of government to fund social housing, in the full knowledge that they were sabotaging the program. A wave of lovely conservative governments and the consensus that the tax base can't be significantly expanded beyond where Harris left it locks that system into place. This is the result of a specific historical process: the specific experiences of the global slump, the Second World War, and the emergence of a postwar form of "embedded liberalism" that prioritized economic security and demand-side economic growth. After a few decades of high growth there was an extended economic crisis, social conflict sharpened because of the Vietnam war and the increasing demands for rights by minorities, and after a decade of panicked flailing the major governments and corporations of the world gradually settled onto a policy of "neoliberal" policies targeting supply side issues and calling for more "flexible" markets, smaller government and less regulation. They then specifically and systematically targeted the institutions and organizations that undergirded the old embedded liberal system, smashed their power utterly through a protracted series of political battles, and then salted the earth to ensure they wouldn't be reconstructed.

To cite one example of a very different approach to the one taken in Canada:

quote:

Take Singapore, for example. Singapore had its own “Brexit” in 1965 when it separated from Malaysia. In 1960 the Singapore Housing and Development Board (HDB) was formed to provide affordable and high-quality housing for residents of this tiny city-state nation. Today, more than 80% of Singapore’s 5.4m residents live in housing provided by the development board.

These are issued by the state on 99-year leaseholds, and the value of the home depends on the inherent utility value of the property (size, type, location), with financing readily available, including that provided by the Central Provident Fund (CPF). The CPF is a social security system that enables working Singapore citizens and those with permanent resident status to set aside funds for retirement. It is a compulsory savings scheme, which includes contributions from employers, to set aside funds for healthcare and housing costs in later life.

Property buyers in Singapore can fund the purchase of a development board flat with a bank loan, a loan from the HDB, with cash, or with funds drawn from the CPF. In a similar way to the leasehold system in the UK, the resale value of an HDB flat deteriorates as the lease end date approaches, in this case when the lease drops to under 30 years. As is the case in the UK, difficulties arise in trying to finance homes with short leases. However, the HDB leasehold system is different as the “owners” have bought only the right to use the flat – the property title and ownership remains with HDB.

Additionally, the development board prohibits Singaporeans from owning more than two residential units at any time. In the case of an inherited flat, ownership is only allowed if the inheritor disposes of their existing private or public residential property within six months of inheriting it.

The HDB remains by far the dominant national housing provider, building and owning most residential housing and playing an extremely active role. Private sector housing is available, but it is much more expensive.

Whether you'd want to implement that particular system is debatable. But the point is there are contemporary examples of very different approaches to the housing issue so the idea we're stuck doing everything in one specific way is asinine. All we lack is the political will to try and improve things. And much like in a private healthcare system, giving the rich and the upper parts of the middle class an alternative to the public system is one of the main reasons that the public system is allowed to go underfunded. The less chances the wealthy have to buy their own way the more incentive there is to improve the situation for everyone.

Now, all that having been said, it actually doesn't matter. Because genuinely affordable TCHC accommodations that your bougie rear end deems unacceptable would literally be a life transforming gift from the heavens for so many people that I know. It would mean a level of freedom they can't really comprehend right now: the right to escape their toxic alcoholic father, the chance to leave that lovely partner they share a lease with, the ability to turn down an exploitative gig because you actually have some savings this month because you didn't have to spend two thirds of your income every month on rent, the knowledge that if you had to move there are affordable units available, maybe even the ability to invite people over or cook your own meals. It would mean freedom - real, actual freedom that gives people the ability to live better lives - for a lot of people who never had a real taste of it before. So even if public housing continued to be run as it is now by the TCHC, it'd still be a huge boon for the people who need it most if it were set up so that everyone who wanted it could have a unit.

tagesschau posted:

Perhaps this is a slightly unfair question but how far above the median income are you? Because some people inevitably will have to be worse off to make everyone else better off. The same logic applies to public healthcare.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2019

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lmao COPE's main twitter account has finally disavowed their COPE Housing account, which has gone rogue with a NIMBY stance to Temporary Modular Housing for the Homeless.

People on #vanre were wondering if Cope Housing was a parody account or something.

https://twitter.com/COPEVancouver/status/1157340730144149504?s=20

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cool

https://twitter.com/HousingOpen/status/1157352951859445760?s=20

House prices in Vancouver continue to edge lower (Video: The National)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Good

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Condo prices can't possibly fall - they're running out of sky.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

James Baud posted:

Condo prices can't possibly fall - they're running out of sky viewcones.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

Condo prices can't possibly fall - they're running out of sky.

So says Royce McCutcheon.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I love it when YIMBYs in Vancouver whine about the viewcones, but then turn around and assert that it's absurd how Vancouver devotes so much land to low rise housing and that it needs to be upzoned.

Well if we have so much drat low density zoned land that we can meet our population goals with mild upzoning of that, then why are you so butt hurt about the limiting of tower heights in downtown due to view cones? The towers shouldn't need to be high if we have all this other land we can use.

Then you realize they're just a bunch of weirdos that get excited by BIG TOWERS.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

I love it when YIMBYs in Vancouver whine about the viewcones, but then turn around and assert that it's absurd how Vancouver devotes so much land to low rise housing and that it needs to be upzoned.

Well if we have so much drat low density zoned land that we can meet our population goals with mild upzoning of that, then why are you so butt hurt about the limiting of tower heights in downtown due to view cones? The towers shouldn't need to be high if we have all this other land we can use.

Then you realize they're just a bunch of weirdos that get excited by BIG TOWERS.

vancouver.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Helsing posted:

A wave of lovely conservative governments

Answers that can't survive in the face of the Tories being elected more than once in a row are not the panacea they're being presented as. (And Singapore as a model? Really?)

RBC posted:

It's just extreme stupidity.

No counterargument? Insult the poster instead! It's the RBC way.