Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Broke: going razdraz with an assault rifle, hurting only people completely unrelated to your troubles.

Woke: orchestrating a massive overly complex Mission Impossible style effort to gaslight your rear end in a top hat landlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MacGuyver was the best because he went out of his way to never actually kill anyone to an extent to shame Batman.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

I thought it was the other way, it's the really good coke that has the fishscale look to it?

I've never done coke but I have listened to Ghostface Killah's classic album "Fishscale" many times

you are correct, good coke is sort of yellowish (or sometimes pink or blue!) and has an almost pearlescent look to it, like a fishscale

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Platystemon posted:

I aspire to one day be accused of chicanery of that calibre.

An actual no-poo poo Nazi on Twitter accused me of being a Mossad propaganda agent because I called him a Nazi.

I don't think it takes intelligence training to recognize that a guy with a loving Reichsadler for a profile picture who tweets non-stop about racist conspiracy theories is a Nazi, but

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Meanwhile I’m an actual Mossad propaganda agent and no one accuses me of anything because all I do is tweet screenshots from games I’m playing and pictures of my dog. The perfect crime...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

An actual no-poo poo Nazi on Twitter accused me of being a Mossad propaganda agent because I called him a Nazi.

I don't think it takes intelligence training to recognize that a guy with a loving Reichsadler for a profile picture who tweets non-stop about racist conspiracy theories is a Nazi, but

I got called antisemitic awhile back for not supporting Israel lmao I'm a black Jew

Before the great McCain and Romney purges I was called a conspiracy theorist for bringing up how our society is built on white supremacy and accused of "seeing racism where there isn't any" over cops, Trayvon's murder, the prison industrial complex, hiring biases etc

Everyone seems leery of the cops now but people forget how much more conservative the forums used to be. I distinctly remember people trying to bait me by throwing "niggardly" into their posts while arguing they aren't racist in the same breath.

people are wild 😂😂

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brazilian gangster disguises self as daughter to escape prison.

Someone tell me this was fake.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nope and the only reason he got caught was from "looking suspicious", as he was already walking through the front door when someone stopped the group(There were 7 women alongside, including a pregnant one that supposedly brought the clothes in as they are not searched through).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wow that mask is creepy af

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dayton, Ohio, says new city employees can't use tobacco

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/health/dayton-ohio-smoking-tobacco-ban-trnd/index.html

"The city of Dayton, Ohio, is taking unusual measures to create a healthier environment for its workers.

It has implemented a policy that prohibits city employees hired after July 15 from using nicotine or tobacco. Job candidates will be tested during the screening process, and those who test positive must undergo cessation treatment. If they again test positive at the end of their probationary period, they'll be fired. The city defines tobacco and nicotine use as "inhaling, exhaling, burning, vaping, any lighted cigar, cigarette, and e-cigarette or pipe, chewing or any other type of tobacco use."

The City of Dayton has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its employees and visitors, while respecting an employee's individual choice. Consistent with these concerns and with Ohio law, the following policy has been established to foster a healthier workplace and environment by encouraging employees to promote a healthy lifestyle.

Jerome Dix, acting president of the Dayton Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 44, says that union leaders have been part of the discussions regarding the policy but that there have been a number of disagreements with city officials on the subject.
He said the policy may violate union contracts and affect active members."

I am pretty biased as a smoker, but this sounds really lovely to implement. They don't give a gently caress about promoting a healthy lifestyle, they just want to be able to lower cost; money is the real bottom line about this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

cinni posted:

They don't give a gently caress about promoting a healthy lifestyle, they just want to be able to lower cost; money is the real bottom line about this.

I got something to tell you about how every organization works....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/moefeliu/status/1158226116043137024

:raise:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cinni posted:

I am pretty biased as a smoker, but this sounds really lovely to implement. They don't give a gently caress about promoting a healthy lifestyle, they just want to be able to lower cost; money is the real bottom line about this.

I'm a nonsmoker and still think that's lovely as gently caress. Let people do what they want with their bodies. Jesus. This whole moral poo poo against tobacco is getting nuts.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There will come a day when health insurance providers would straight up give you a list of demands for lifestyle optimization as an ultimatum.

And it will definitely be in America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand posted:

There will come a day when health insurance providers would straight up give you a list of demands for lifestyle optimization as an ultimatum.

That’s already a thing with fitness trackers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

cinni posted:

Scathach posted:

I'm a nonsmoker and still think that's lovely as gently caress. Let people do what they want with their bodies. Jesus. This whole moral poo poo against tobacco is getting nuts.

For disclosure purposes, I am a smoker.

From watching how the anti-smoking campaign's evolved over the decades, while it started out being a concern over health, it's shifted to be more about control. Just look at how things have shifted from the perfectly reasonable points of no smoking in public buildings to only smoking in designated areas outside to this no nicotine at all position to also include vaping. I wish I could remember where I saw the interview, but an anti-smoking activist was asked what would she do once there was no more smoking and she was ready to start policing people's diets. Of course no one's going to mind the lesson of Prohibition in if enough people want to indulge in an unhealthy vice, they're going to do it.

I can definitely see America slipping into the 'live this way or face these penalties' much like most of the countries with some form of NHS going that route to cut down on how slammed the service is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Modern mass produced food pretty much has the same problem with being filled with poison and marketing and lobbying juggernauts making sure the consequences and alternatives are obscured and sidelined.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

M_Sinistrari posted:

this was completely obvious without the disclosure, lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The most effective part of anti-smoking campaigns has probably been banning advertising, turning smoking from something cool people do in the movies to something your daggy parents and gross people do on the street.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Gasp, oh no you can’t force everyone else to experience your disgusting habits as often anymore. Sad day for freedoms!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hosed up name for a baby elephant imo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

M_Sinistrari posted:

From watching how the anti-smoking campaign's evolved over the decades, while it started out being a concern over health, it's shifted to be more about control. Just look at how things have shifted from the perfectly reasonable points of no smoking in public buildings to only smoking in designated areas outside to this no nicotine at all position to also include vaping. I wish I could remember where I saw the interview, but an anti-smoking activist was asked what would she do once there was no more smoking and she was ready to start policing people's diets. Of course no one's going to mind the lesson of Prohibition in if enough people want to indulge in an unhealthy vice, they're going to do it.

I can definitely see America slipping into the 'live this way or face these penalties' much like most of the countries with some form of NHS going that route to cut down on how slammed the service is.
Hey if you can find a way to smoke such that it does not impact anyone else in any way more power to you. Cancer yourself up as much as you like, just don't exhale.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pastry of the Year posted:

She'll fit right in with her older brother Regional Comptroller 3.1415926

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

Maybe they're just a new hire

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

They've already started.

My company provided health insurance has yearly health screenings where they check BMI, cholesterol, presence of nicotine, and blood sugar.

Last year they switched from offering money off deductibles for passing. Instead, they doubled everyone's monthly rate and offered the chance to get it back to only a small increase for passing each of the checks.

See, they can't raise my rates for pre-existing conditions, but they sure as gently caress can literally make health insurance unaffordable if you don't qualify for the "rebates", so long as they try to gently caress everyone over equally.

There's no reason that they can't keep tuning those metrics down, or implement new ones, until everyone but healthy people are priced out...I mean voluntarily choose to not have health insurance.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

Splicer posted:

Hey if you can find a way to smoke such that it does not impact anyone else in any way more power to you. Cancer yourself up as much as you like, just don't exhale.

I don't smoke, but if he smokes inside his house by himself, how does it impact you? This new law says he can't even at home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Invisble Manuel posted:

I don't smoke, but if he smokes inside his house by himself, how does it impact you? This new law says he can't even at home.

Isn’t that just for public housing?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Invisble Manuel posted:

Guessing it's about group insurance rates, basically saying that everyone pays a bit more to subsidize the healthcare of the smoker.

It's bullshit because any unhealthy non-work activity could be similarly banned, such as riding a motorcycle, using a ladder to hang Christmas lights, participating in an eating contest, etc. and an employer has no business banning any of that.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Laura Loomer, provocateur banned from social media, runs for Congress in Palm Beach

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article233469462.html

"The far-right agitator Laura Loomer, whose inflammatory rhetoric and guerrilla-style activism have led to her ouster from major social media platforms and multiple encounters with police, has filed to run for a Democratic-leaning Palm Beach congressional seat that includes President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort.

Loomer, who is known for ambushing politicians and other newsmakers in off-the-cuff interviews, has been banned from Facebook and Twitter for her incendiary commentary. She was banned from the ridesharing platforms Uber and Lyft in 2017 after unleashing an anti-Muslim tweetstorm following a terror attack in Manhattan that killed 8 people and injured 11.

“Someone needs to create a non-Islamic form of @uber or @lyft because I never want to support another Islamic immigrant driver,” wrote Loomer in a now-inaccessible tweet, according to CNBC.

She has been the subject of national news stories for reportedly jumping a fence at Democratic House Leader Nancy Pelosi’s home in California to stage an immigration protest and handcuffing herself to the front door of Twitter’s New York headquarters to call attention to her ban from the social media site.

Loomer has also ginned up controversy in Florida, targeting liberal lawmakers and activists — and sometimes diversity itself.

She considers South Florida resident Roger Stone, whose Fort Lauderdale home was raided by the FBI in January, as a mentor of hers. Stone, the longtime adviser to President Trump, was indicted on charges stemming from the Special Counsel investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

After the Florida International University bridge collapse in March 2018, she and conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos posed for photos near the site of the wreckage and wore shirts that said, “Diversity Costs Lives.”

In a blog post about the photo shoot, Yiannopoulos wrote that the collapse of the bridge was a “feminist failure” and referenced an online conspiracy theory that the construction and design firms involved in the doomed bridge project were exclusively women. Six people died in the collapse."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

As soon as they get rid of cigarettes and soda and baked goods they're going to start doing just that. Oh, ride a motorcycle? Sorry we're banning that within city limits for reasons. Have a scubadiving hobby? Seems like it could be bad for you, maybe we get rid of that. For your safety, you know. Anyway here's a water bottle that tracks how much water you drink in a day and sends it directly to us.

Oh boy I can't wait to have the world covered in bubble wrap for my safety!

I couldn't find the picture of the playground and Ralph completely covered in bubble wrap so you get what you get.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

Have a scubadiving hobby? Seems like it could be bad for you, maybe we get rid of that.

Well I know at least one guy who would campaign on this promise

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

cinni posted:

The far-right agitator Laura Loomer, whose inflammatory rhetoric and guerrilla-style activism

this makes her sound like way less of a crazy person and more of a passionate political activist but make no mistake she is certifiably loving broken in the head

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Azathoth posted:

It's bullshit because any unhealthy non-work activity could be similarly banned, such as riding a motorcycle, using a ladder to hang Christmas lights, participating in an eating contest, etc. and an employer has no business banning any of that.
The obvious next step is drinking alcohol.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Guessing it's about group insurance rates, basically saying that everyone pays a bit more to subsidize the healthcare of the smoker.

And on top of that they're banning things that are pretty much irrelevant to health like nicotine patches.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dylan16807 posted:

And on top of that they're banning things that are pretty much irrelevant to health like nicotine patches.

All must be sacrificed for the Productivity God!

*chanting* metrics... metrics...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/sankakucomplex/status/1156107927025004544

Good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's literally what it means too, lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That twitt must be a tool to get :pedophiles: to get out of the woodwork, for ease of capture.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

lmao #censorship

The pedophile defense brigade has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The article is extremely cursed.