Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So a full 2 weeks after ordering my F-16 I still didn't get a shipping notification. Cancelled the order.

Then I ordered the version of the kit with full ordnance from a different vendor :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Now that it's been almost 3 weeks, finally got a cancellation notice on that $12 Metal gear.
I've done pretty much nothing else, because air brushing in triple digits is apparently a complete waste of time. Also my Badger has started bubbling in the cup. Looks like they recommend a little bee's wax on the nozzle to seal it up? Any tips on that, or just cram the back end of the nozzle in some wax and slap it in?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Hello scale modeling thread, long time lurker from wargameslandia. I’ve been inspired by (read that as shamelessly stealing) a lot of techniques from this thread and went a little crazy on a Warhammer tank.

Anyway, keep posting cool stuff and letting me steal it, thanks!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Poisonlizard posted:

Now that it's been almost 3 weeks, finally got a cancellation notice on that $12 Metal gear.
I've done pretty much nothing else, because air brushing in triple digits is apparently a complete waste of time. Also my Badger has started bubbling in the cup. Looks like they recommend a little bee's wax on the nozzle to seal it up? Any tips on that, or just cram the back end of the nozzle in some wax and slap it in?

Use a toothpick to apply a small amount to the nozzle threads. You can use burt's bees chapstick too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Nice! I like the little touches, especially the floating toilet paper holder.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Greetings from the lego thread.

I'm working on a build that needs some custom decals to top it off. I was wondering if any of you could tell me about waterslide decal paper. I've got a few that I want to print, and I'm not sure what type I should be looking for. The choices I need to make seem to be white or clear backing, and ink or laset jet printer. The pieces I want to decorate are white and black, which might make things harder. Also I don't know if there's any brands that are well regarded, beyond amazon reviews that is.

Thanks for any input. :)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you need the white backing if any part of the decal is going to be white. if its all non-white colors then transparent is the way to go

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There are services that will print white on transparent waterslides for you. I got mine from Bedlam Creations, they were pricey but very high quality.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, poo poo.

I see now I should have been more descriptive. It's kinda weird thinking in printing on "color on clear" or "color on white" paper and then applying that to to objects that are white and black.

I'm looking to apply two sets of stickers...
#1. a black and red image to a white surface.
#2. a red and green image to a black surface.

For #1 it seems like trans paper should be ok. The design is darker than the base.

For #2 The base is darker than the design. If I printed red and green on clear, and then applied that to a black surface, could you see the red and green at all? If I got white based paper it'd work, right?

The good part about legos is they are interchangeable, if the black pieces won't work I could swap them out pretty easily.

You know, just typing that I think that's the best solution. I'll just get a bunch of the same type of piece in different colors and experiment to find what looks best. Gonna be cheaper too.

Thanks for being a sounding board.

^^^^^Good to know there are places that can print white ink on clear, thanks for the tip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tried out some brown wash to make look dirty. Reasonably happy with it. I'm done except for a couple more Micro Sol applications. The decals are a little thick.

http://imgur.com/a/H8FU21I

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I did a thing that isn't a tank for once!

Rest of the album

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Rest of the album

nice space tank

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I like the shading pattern on it.

Really weird looking soviet tank though

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That spaceship is good as hell, and I love the aztecing.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

That looks badass. How long is it?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
About 40 cm. There's a photo at the end of the Imgur album with a ballpoint pen for scale.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
here's a rly good vid on how the enterprise is an amazing design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RAbB8afn0

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Got distracted from putting the finishing touches on that 1/72 Spitfire, ended up starting a 1/48 Albatros 253.

Finished the plywood on the interior:

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s not a plastic model kit but I just finished my third Studio Ghibli paper model.

And here it is with the rest of them. The others are the houses from “When Marnie Was There” and “Ponyo.”

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Those houses are pretty cool!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's paper? :aaaaa:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
This might interest some folk on the same avenue of paper models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsdSBY93sg

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

drat, no I have to start another hobby!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Paper modeling is fun. Here's a 1:20 model of TESS I made. It's in the sky finding exoplanets right now!!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Here’s a link to the Kiki house.

https://www.amazon.ca/Studio-Ghibli...ay&sr=8-1-fkmr3

They are surprisingly simple to assemble. All you need is a knife, tweezers and white glue. This specific model is great due to it being covered in green flocking which can cover up any mistakes/crimes.

The only really stressful part of the assembly is that you get one short shot to get your pieces aligned correctly due to it being paper. You can’t really tear a part off and reglue it with destroying it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

Got distracted from putting the finishing touches on that 1/72 Spitfire, ended up starting a 1/48 Albatros 253.

Finished the plywood on the interior:

That's a very realistic texture.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

That's a very realistic texture.

Thanks, happy with the way it turned out. Its like a four layer process of a base color, some watercolor pencils for the plywood squiggles and discoloration, oil for the grain, and a clear yellow/orange. This is easily the most time consuming part of the kit, since this plane has the same finish on the exterior.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished my first non-anime model, the Tamiya T-34. Not perfect but it's been on my project list so long I really just needed to wrap it up.

Next is the Tamiya T-72, naturally.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks pretty good for a first. When applying decals, make sure you're applying them to a gloss surface so they blend in better. Also those old Tamiya instructions aren't the most accurate, you're better off painting and marking your tank based on reference photos. More modern kits tend to have better instructions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Congrats on your nuptials ensign, you make a beautiful bride.

Nenonen posted:

Love of tanks brought a Polish-Japanese couple to wedding trip to Parola Tank Museum

The fiancee works at a Polish tank museum and the bride is a tank model hobbyist.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Van Dis posted:

Paper modeling is fun.

I think I've shared this before, but paper modeling can be amazing. This one is completely scratch built. Make sure to watch (or skip ahead) to at least the 2:30-3:00 timeframe to catch some of the amazing interior & lighting. Read the comments (expand for the English part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jshTzNJjy8

All the other ships that you get glimpses of in the video are also scratch built paper (card) models.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

You know what, that rules and I wish them the very best. Hell yeah, tank lovers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Love is a battlefield. May as well bring armour support.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Looking forward to marital arguments about the proper shade of grey on German tanks in early 1941 :allears:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Airfix DH 82 Tiger Moth, 1/72

There's an undercarriage strut and a windscreen on the floor around here somewhere.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Taintrunner posted:

Finished my first non-anime model, the Tamiya T-34. Not perfect but it's been on my project list so long I really just needed to wrap it up.

Next is the Tamiya T-72, naturally.

Nice!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Airfix DH 82 Tiger Moth, 1/72

There's an undercarriage strut and a windscreen on the floor around here somewhere.

Nice. I'll have to look at some WW1 planes eventually.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Doog kicked a beehive:

https://doogsmodels.com/2019/08/09/fetishizing-the-enemy-4-years-on/#comment-34442

https://www.facebook.com/doogsmodels/

Some galaxy brain takes include:

quote:

Looks like SJW'ism is invading the hobby of model building as well. First games, books, comics, movies...why not hobbies too? Personally I like building WWII German armor because I find their armor appealing. Never really think about the who Nazi issue until someone on the left mentions it.

quote:

It’s a drat hobby. Build what interests in the moment. The Germans had superior equipment back in the day. Who doesn’t want to recreate some of the most amazing machines of war? Lest we not forget it was them developing the atomic bomb before we won the war.

quote:

I’m sorry, the statement about the P-51 pilots being the original Antifa just really got to me. Of course, there are so many similarities between the heroes of WWII and the thugs that beat up Andy Ngo a few weeks ago in Portland. Interesting how Antifa act exactly like the Brown Shirts in Nazi Germany, yet calls themselves “anti facist”. I did my best to stay out of this fray, and I believe Doogs article was very thoughtfully done and had a lot of good points, but I just couldn’t let that statement about antifa go without making a reply.

quote:

You're watching too much MSNBC.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel so silly now since I have a model kit of this absurd over the top German supertank that never got put intro production - the Takom 1/144 Landkreuzer. It's just so obnoxious that I had to have it.

I mean, I dunno. I feel like if you're a hobbyist historical model kit builder and you have a couple Nazi war machines, whatever. But at some point there's a line between historical apprecation/understanding and, uh, being a Wehraboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
At this point I find myself much more interested in Soviet armor kits (both modern and WW2 era) than I ever have been in German WW2 armor models. Maybe I'm veering too far in the opposite direction when it comes to horribly brutal oppressive regimes? :ohdear: