Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

are we even sure those kids are real? team mitch just seems next level absurd

loving tribalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

UFOTacoMan posted:

serious replies only!
My ernestness is continually mocked in this thread and it's very discouraging.
I'm very close to intentionally posting less.

:ohdear:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, if they put up the money and let someone else write it then they wouldn't be able to see their names plastered along the top of the book and pat themselves on the back for being "bestselling authors".

I mean, it's probably gonna be ghost-written.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

sinnesloeschen posted:

like u keep getting better at art

given any more thought to more analog stuff or are u staying mostly digital

im working on learning to watercolor but its a lot more labor intensive process and i cant just crank them out

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mass shootings are still honestly quite rare by any standard, though horrible. The elaborate training and endless drills and stuff are definitely designed to perpetuate the culture of grift and fear that both the rich and mass murderers thrive in.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Al! posted:

im working on learning to watercolor but its a lot more labor intensive process and i cant just crank them out

i get it, but stick with it, w/c in particular seems really suited to your current style
(i confess i loving love colorbleeding tho)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Mass shootings are still honestly quite rare by any standard, though horrible. The elaborate training and endless drills and stuff are definitely designed to perpetuate the culture of grift and fear that both the rich and mass murderers thrive in.

The constant grating reminder that you are not safe at any moment
wouldn't it be a good idea to buy a gun
to get licensed to carry it with you at all times

who profits from that sort of mentality I wonder

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's there to create a mood, like all the pointless armed guards everywhere in Israel, though the average Israeli is probably less able to keep a straight face about things and take it seriously.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

shovelbum posted:

Rare would be one every 20 years.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

shovelbum posted:

every semester i'd tell my students that my standard tactic was to walk toward the shooter so they could flee

not a lot of profs who've had a gun held to their head before i guess :shrug:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

oh did the author have information which would lead to the arrest of hillary clinton?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

I expect it'll just be someone having sat down with Hillary and Chelsea for a few hours, each woman gets like 3 minutes of discussion time and then an editor synthesizes it and cuts out the boring bits. So technically it will be their words but they'll have spent no more than a long afternoon on the project.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Philthy posted:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
shoot, coward

you are only going to kill an rear end in a top hat

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The constant grating reminder that you are not safe at any moment
wouldn't it be a good idea to buy a gun
to get licensed to carry it with you at all times

who profits from that sort of mentality I wonder

BIG HOLSTER

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
public service announcement: have u thought about how england elected bojo prime minister, therefore locking themselves into a no deal brexit situation lately

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now someone Photoshop the map to be counties that voted Republican in 2016

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Good thing I've slaughtered countless wild hogs while grinding XP in MMO's.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

sean hannity really lost his mind last night i hope trump was watching

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

oh did the author have information which would lead to the arrest of hillary clinton?

Naah, they have Soulbleachbit for people like that, there wouldn't be a ghost let behind.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

public service announcement: have u thought about how england elected bojo prime minister, therefore locking themselves into a no deal brexit situation lately

yeah it owns op

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sinnesloeschen posted:

shoot, coward

you are only going to kill an rear end in a top hat

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prepared-to-die-hong-kong-protesters-embrace-hard-core-tactics-challenge-beijing-11565038264

quote:

In 2014, a protester named Chloe camped out on city streets, chanted slogans and planted “seeds of hope,” part of a 79-day occupation of major roads. The protesters’ demands for greater democracy were ignored.

This summer, the civil servant, who is in her 20s, has zip tied metal barriers together to block roads and dug bricks out of sidewalks to throw at police. Her primary role is to be “arrest support”—ready to hire lawyers for detained protesters and help their families with an emergency plan.

“Some of them are prepared to die for the movement,” said Chloe. “I am also willing to die for it.”

quote:

The willingness to use violence during the Hong Kong protests was a fringe idea only five years ago. Since the handover, protests have largely consisted of peaceful marches that ended at sunset, or orderly candlelight vigils. In 2014, the so-called Umbrella Movement protests became large and long-lasting, but the few tussles with police were quickly condemned by the broader movement. Tear gas was used once.

Chloe, the civil servant, said more aggressive protests are the only way to advocate for their cause.

She describes herself as someone who would rather go shopping and buy makeup than be out all night in the stifling summer heat to battle police officers. Now, like many protesters, she gets geared up before each protest: umbrellas to shield against pepper spray and gun-fired bean bag rounds; eye goggles to help reduce the effects of tear gas; a helmet; and face mask to hide her identity from police and media cameras. She often changes out of sight of security cameras, or behind comrades’ umbrellas.

Chloe says her resolve has deepened in the past few weeks after authorities ignored protesters’ demands. “There’s the feeling now that, since so many of us could be arrested later, that we need to give it our all for this cause,” she said. “There are no longer limits to what we can give.”

Justin, another protester on the front lines, talks less about ideology. The 19-year-old unemployed school dropout was radicalized after he choked on tear gas in the first major protester clash with the police on June 12. That day’s images of riot police pointing rubber-bullet guns at protesters and chasing them down city streets shocked city residents.

The day’s clash also prompted Mrs. Lam to suspend the extradition bill. “They would ignore you unless you do something to show how firm you are,” Justin said. “Carrie Lam is the one that taught us this.”

He decided to crash the July 1 government ceremony celebrating the anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to China. Expecting a crackdown by police, he and strangers he met in a peaceful assembly days before bought heat-resistant gloves and formed a 10-person squad to grab tear gas canisters and dunk them into the buckets of water, neutralizing their spray.

That night, protesters broke into the city’s legislature, demanding election reform, or what is known as universal suffrage. Justin acted as a porter, ferrying supplies for an occupation until the plan was aborted and the invaders left before the police arrived.

“If we ask for the sky, we’ll get a window,” said Justin. “If we just ask for the window, we get nothing.”

The break-in to the legislature—during which protesters unfurled a banner that said “No rioters, only tyranny”—catapulted Brian Leung to the forefront as one of the few known faces of the movement.

Most of the ardent protesters use surgical or antipollution masks to conceal their faces. Mr. Leung, 25, ripped off his mask as he stood in the middle of the legislative chamber, urging people to stay and occupy the space.

“The escalation of punishment demands an escalation of sacrifice,” the soft-spoken Mr. Leung said later. He is due to begin the third year of his Ph.D. studying authoritarianism and democracy at the University of Washington in the fall. “When you look at what other people have given up for this movement, sacrifice seems less unimaginable.”

In the 2014 protests, Mr. Leung mostly stuck to the intellectual side of things, editing the University of Hong Kong’s Undergrad magazine. This time, Mr. Leung risked arrest by trying to convince others that occupying the legislative building is a now-or-never moment. His action echoes a message spray-painted outside the vandalized building: “You taught me peaceful protest doesn’t work.”

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Naah, they have Soulbleachbit for people like that, there wouldn't be a ghost let behind.

no no please nooo

eh heh heh wear the jeans

no no anything but the acid washed jeans

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
can’t wait for the future where quest givers sitting on the outskirts of town looking to trade a few silver for 10 boar asses is real

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Philthy posted:

it took back to back mass shootings to have the mass shooting death toll hit an average weekend in chicago

americans only give a gently caress about mass shootings because they threaten places white people care about

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1158752110999232513?s=20

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

We don't really prepare for natural disasters and poo poo that are guaranteed to happen in the same places every year over and over but preparing for EMERGENT TACTICAL SCENARIOS is a billion dollar industry bc it atomizes communities w fear and suspicion of internal and foreign enemies instead of drawing them together

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

shovelbum posted:

you say that but my son is going into kindergarten next year and my daughter is in daycare for another 3. No statistic is going to convince me that at least one of them won't be a school shooting survivor by the time my daughter graduates high school.

and after that, colleges are only marginally safer

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1158729631983448067?s=20

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

its insanely good

like even the people pointing out the massive tariff problems are missing the more fundamental issue of no regulatory parity lmao

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Squinky v2.0 posted:

can’t wait for the future where quest givers sitting on the outskirts of town looking to trade a few silver for 10 boar asses is real

'why walk when u can ride?'

*trades 6 boar asses for a trip to vivec*

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1158753812720574465?s=20

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

shovelbum posted:

We don't really prepare for natural disasters and poo poo that are guaranteed to happen in the same places every year over and over but preparing for EMERGENT TACTICAL SCENARIOS is a billion dollar industry bc it atomizes communities w fear and suspicion of internal and foreign enemies instead of drawing them together

this is absolutely true

IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
okay, here's something

gently caress you

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

sinnesloeschen posted:

okay, here's something

gently caress you

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

when you have the brain power...they let you do it...you can do anything
*taps head*
:smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
donald trump is increasingly isolated and alone and is now doing executive orders on the toilet