Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vandar posted:

Serperior is a fantastic design. It's just, y'know, not great in battle.

Serperior is OU in gens VI and VII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
I have a favour to ask. Would anyone be willing to part with a male Mimikyu that has learnt the move Play Rough?

I'm in Malie City and while Wonder Trading for fun I received a female Mimikyu at Lvl 57. I'd like to breed a Mimikyu that starts off with Play Rough (so that I don't need to raise up a Mimikyu or wait until I can control the one I received) so that I can put one on my team.

That being said, I don't really have much in the way of trade-worthy Pokemon outside of some (presumably hacked) Shiny Legendary Pokemon and a Contrary Snivy, so I can't really reciprocate the favour.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sceptile just looks so loving unbalanced

Like I think Blaziken is great and Swamps is ok but woof

Grovyle had so much promise, sceptile is a dagger to the heart

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sceptile is good, swampert is good, but blaziken is ugly

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gen V was the nadir of starter design which was made more stark becaus it is flanked by the two overall best starter groups in Gens IV and VI.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is it me?

Am I the one who's going to have to go to bat for Samurott? Cuz I will.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I got a shiny wimpod last night way under odds and them a quicky shiny steenee.

A good night.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

omnibobb posted:

I got a shiny wimpod last night way under odds and them a quicky shiny steenee.

A good night.

Shiny Tsareena is freakin gorgeous, I love mine.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I can’t wait to see Farfetch’d’s evolution in less than 24 hours.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I hope it’s the leek that evolves while the duck stays the same

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

less laughter posted:

Serperior is OU in gens VI and VII

I dunno how anyone could look at Contary Leaf storm and go "Hmm yes this doesn't seem.all that useful".

It's the most numbers rear end gimmick a starter has ever had

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

tied with Speed Boost Blaziken

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I dunno how anyone could look at Contary Leaf storm and go "Hmm yes this doesn't seem.all that useful".

Fine, Serperior is great when you can get its hidden ability. It's still not great in the games, where you can't get the hidden ability.

Contrary is hilariously broken in the early game though, everything has Growl or Leer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I named my Litten "DeanEmberoast"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Galar Pseudowoodo is Real 2401.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

Gen V was the nadir of starter design which was made more stark becaus it is flanked by the two overall best starter groups in Gens IV and VI.

The designs were fine. It was their performance in battle that was mediocre at best. It didn't help that there were so many better Fire and Grass types around in Unova. Samurott barely escaped that fate, but only because Unova was awful for Water types options to replace it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

The designs were fine. It was their performance in battle that was mediocre at best. It didn't help that there were so many better Fire and Grass types around in Unova. Samurott barely escaped that fate, but only because Unova was awful for Water types options to replace it.

I think the designs are mostly bad overall.

Also having a pure Water, pure Grass and then the third Fire/Fighting type in a goddamn row was some :psyduck:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Samurott barely escaped that fate, but only because Unova was awful for Water types options to replace it.

Seismitoad and Basculin are great in-game, and there was also Jellicent, Carracosta, Alomomola, Swanna...

less laughter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 6, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i used an eviolite ducklett the whole game

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Eviolite was introduced in that gen specifically for Ducklett

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

less laughter posted:

Eviolite was introduced in that gen specifically for Ducklett

this is true. I've read about this

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Samurott has an okay design, but the fact that it suddenly goes quadrapedal after the awesomeness of Dewott is really baffling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chieves posted:

Samurott has an okay design, but the fact that it suddenly goes quadrapedal after the awesomeness of Dewott is really baffling.

The bigger offense is Incineroar doing that in reverse, imo.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Chieves posted:

It baffles me still that this line of thinking still exists, and that some people online only want pokemon to get bigger on evolution.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

qnqnx posted:

It baffles me still that this line of thinking still exists, and that some people online only want pokemon to get bigger on evolution.

I mean I would have been fine with a lot of radical departures for the third stage. Doofy seal with a giant tumor on its head is not a good design.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

I mean I would have been fine with a lot of radical departures for the third stage. Doofy seal with a giant tumor on its head is not a good design.

It is a sea lion, and the helmet is great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

qnqnx posted:

Pokemon evolution where it gets smaller as it grows, starting out at ~3 meters and eventually dropping to 33 centimeters when?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Chieves posted:

Samurott has an okay design, but the fact that it suddenly goes quadrupedal after the awesomeness of Dewott is really baffling.

It starts off as a Japanese blacksmith. Then forges it's own sword and becomes a samurai. Then becomes a full-on shogun warlord complete with doofy rear end mustache. It goes quadrupedal because it's becoming it's own mount in the process.

It's the kind of wacky logic that Pokemon loves and I'm a big fan of it.

You got me there. It's a useful combination, I'll admit, but it's movepool is hot garbage. It really needs a second typing and a large variation of special moves so it doesn't have to rely on Hidden Power Fire of all things.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vandar posted:

You got me there. It's a useful combination, I'll admit, but it's movepool is hot garbage. It really needs a second typing and a large variation of special moves so it doesn't have to rely on Hidden Power Fire of all things.

It's OU in the two most power-creeped generations to date

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vinylshadow posted:

Pokemon evolution where it gets smaller as it grows, starting out at ~3 meters and eventually dropping to 33 centimeters when?

i think that'd be a cool as poo poo idea for an evolutionary line if done well

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

oddium posted:

no one adores chestnaught

:hai:

oddium posted:

it's actually owltair though

:haibrow:

We might be best friends.

manny kaltz posted:

I have a favour to ask. Would anyone be willing to part with a male Mimikyu that has learnt the move Play Rough?

I'm in Malie City and while Wonder Trading for fun I received a female Mimikyu at Lvl 57. I'd like to breed a Mimikyu that starts off with Play Rough (so that I don't need to raise up a Mimikyu or wait until I can control the one I received) so that I can put one on my team.

That being said, I don't really have much in the way of trade-worthy Pokemon outside of some (presumably hacked) Shiny Legendary Pokemon and a Contrary Snivy, so I can't really reciprocate the favour.

PM me.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You rarely ever see an evolutionary line where the final form ends up being smaller then the previous forms, with only Bellossom and Porygon-Z coming to mind.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

You rarely ever see an evolutionary line where the final form ends up being smaller then the previous forms, with only Bellossom and Porygon-Z coming to mind.

Mega Mewtwo Y is smaller than Mewtwo

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
we need a giant dinosaur pokemon that evolves into a route 1 bird

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that'd be a cool as poo poo idea for an evolutionary line if done well

Cosmog to Cosmoem fits the bill, sadly it then turns into a huge rear end cosmic animal.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Licarn posted:

we need a giant dinosaur pokemon that evolves into a route 1 bird

and a dog that evolves into a whale

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

It would be so loving spectacular if they did this. Seriously I would love a giant terrifying water dog whale friend.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I named my Litten "DeanEmberoast"

Mine's EddiePurrero

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mine's EddiePurrero
I called mine Frank.

Now there's a reason for this. Many years ago, playing Smackdown 2 on a friend's PSWhatever, I was invited to create a wrestler. I called mine Frank, because giving videogame characters very prosaic names has never not been funny to me (ask me about my time playing FF7, or Pokémon Y). Frank wore glasses, a denim shirt and brightly coloured tartan trousers And now Frank's legacy now lives on in the form of a fiery wrestling heel tiger.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

Have we ever had an evolution line based on actual theoretical evolution before?