Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

veni veni veni posted:

There's plenty of info out there that shows that isn't true but I guess it's a gimmick because you don't like it.

Eh, it's still pretty gimmicky, but given that vr is a cultural fantasy stretching back decades I'm going to assume that enough money will continue to pour in and let it develop past that.

Very much still a niche nerd toy right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My beef with VR is I play games to relax and that means I want to be sitting down comfortably not standing in the middle of a room wearing some stupid rear end headset straight outta Weird Science.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

People will rather go to the theater closest to them than the best screen in the city. VR will continue to be niche as long as the necessary setup takes longer than ten seconds. We like consuming culture, but not that much

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Niche and gimmick aren't the same thing though. Yeah it's gonna be niche until it's so convenient and cheap that people have no reason not to own it. But in the meantime millions of people are using it, games come out all of the time, new hardware keeps coming out. It's not going anywhere.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My beef with VR is I play games to relax and that means I want to be sitting down comfortably not standing in the middle of a room wearing some stupid rear end headset straight outta Weird Science.

I do too which is why most of the stuff I play, I just sit on the couch and enjoy the extra immersion, I save the jump around the room games for the rare occasion I am in the mood for it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ruffian Price posted:

People will rather go to the theater closest to them than the best screen in the city. VR will continue to be niche as long as the necessary setup takes longer than ten seconds. We like consuming culture, but not that much

the oculus go and successors are the right idea because they are no setup, not tethered to a pc and completely wireless, so consequentl there is no fear of getting semen all over my expensive computer equipment.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the oculus go and successors are the right idea because they are no setup, not tethered to a pc and completely wireless, so consequentl there is no fear of getting semen all over my expensive computer equipment.

Agreed. Pick up and play VR with my Samsung S8+ is still pretty loving cool. I'm not devoting an entire loving room to VR.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when everyone said that 3D movies was just fad, just like the other 15 times it'd been tried? Sure it bombed for TVs, but here we are and pretty much every big Hollywood move is available in 3D at the cinema. The tech is now so good that I think it will stick around and only get better.
Pretty sure the same thing will happen with VR, but maybe not with this generation.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Lodin posted:

Remember when everyone said that 3D movies was just fad, just like the other 15 times it'd been tried? Sure it bombed for TVs, but here we are and pretty much every big Hollywood move is available in 3D at the cinema. The tech is now so good that I think it will stick around and only get better.
Pretty sure the same thing will happen with VR, but maybe not with this generation.

3D movies suck, though

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lodin posted:

They haven't made a 3D tv since 2016.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

i hate wearing those dumb glasses. i never see the 3D version

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
They've stopped making 3d tvs now iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
3D keeps dying every time because after the initial gimmick wears off it's just tons of garbage post-processing movies that are too dark to see because the projectors keep forgetting to adjust the lighting properly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Racing sims. Flight sims. Tetris Effect. Moss. Doom VR with controller etc.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

3D keeps dying every time because after the initial gimmick wears off it's just tons of garbage post-processing movies that are too dark to see because the projectors keep forgetting to adjust the lighting properly.

The effect requires two bulbs of higher intensity to project, and they also tend to dim faster than regular projector bulbs and are way more expensive, causing most 3d movies to appear dim. Especially when it's just basic movie theater employees who don't get paid enough to give a poo poo and are working with equipment they use relatively rarely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3d movie box office has continued falling and the number of films released with 3d versions have declined YoY for a few years in a row. Its dead man walking.

In my experience people get tickets to 3d shows because 2d is out of seats they want

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 6, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

That doesn't preclude it from being a fad; the most recent iteration of 3D cinema hasn't even been around as long as the previous iteration was.

Meanwhile, 3D movies are more prevalent than ever, yet according to the MPAA 3D ticket sales have been on a steady decline for years, going from 20% of revenue in 2010 ($2.2B) to about 12% of revenue in 2017 ($1.3B). And how many of those people only purchased a 3D ticket for a more convenient viewing time?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 6, 2019

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
VR is like a racing wheel, in the right situation its perfect but i wouldn't want to play all my games with it and frankly it makes games less "relaxing".

Like I've tried all the major VR taking points, Astro, Rez, Tetris, Zone of the Enders, Wip3out. All cool experiences but not the next step up in games for me. Still I'm looking forward to that next no mans sky update.

Also gently caress wearing a VR headset for more than like 20 minutes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

VR Mirror's Edge:getin:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

VR is like a racing wheel, in the right situation its perfect but i wouldn't want to play all my games with it and frankly it makes games less "relaxing".

Like I've tried all the major VR taking points, Astro, Rez, Tetris, Zone of the Enders, Wip3out. All cool experiences but not the next step up in games for me. Still I'm looking forward to that next no mans sky update.

i'd play a VR game where i am an Xwing pilot or maybe a mech pilot. something where i am sitting down, but looking around the cockpit will make the experience more immersive. i dont want to stand to play video games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don’t think anyone is expecting VR to replace 2D games. I don’t know why so many people seem to think that one is required to cancel out the other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

i'd play a VR game where i am an Xwing pilot or maybe a mech pilot. something where i am sitting down, but looking around the cockpit will make the experience more immersive. i dont want to stand to play video games

Isn't that basically an arcade game booth? I've played a few like that, racing games with seat motion and then there's I think a full on Mechwarrior one.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Rutibex posted:

god that just makes me sad for steel battalion. The original xbox version came with a 40-button controller that included stick shifts, pedals, a wiper button for your windshield, light arrays, and even an ejector seat button covered with a clear platic flip up guard that you had to use when you were dying so your pilot survived. If you didn't eject when your mech was exploding it would kill your pilot and then wipe your save file. My buddy had this thing and it was the tits.

The 360 remake was tied to the kinect, and had no buttons. You were just supposed to kinect-swat at the screen and use that to push buttons. It worked even less than you are imagining.

If only they would have held off remaking for another generation and went for VR + controller setup...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't really care about FPS games and such in VR but I'm pretty sure if I get a headset for Tetris Effect I'll be able to communicate directly with God

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that basically an arcade game booth? I've played a few like that, racing games with seat motion and then there's I think a full on Mechwarrior one.

yeah, i was actually thinking of this Star Wars arcade game where you are in an immersive pod. i'd be down for that, but instead of a pod i have VR goggles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgvcAzCesg

Olaf The Stout posted:

god that just makes me sad for steel battalion. The original xbox version came with a 40-button controller that included stick shifts, pedals, a wiper button for your windshield, light arrays, and even an ejector seat button covered with a clear platic flip up guard that you had to use when you were dying so your pilot survived. If you didn't eject when your mech was exploding it would kill your pilot and then wipe your save file. My buddy had this thing and it was the tits.

The 360 remake was tied to the kinect, and had no buttons. You were just supposed to kinect-swat at the screen and use that to push buttons. It worked even less than you are imagining.

If only they would have held off remaking for another generation and went for VR + controller setup...

yeah something like Mech Warrior or Steal battalion, with a bunch of cool switches and controls. it would be hard to do that sort of controller with a set of VR goggles on though, you would have to feel around for the buttons like mr magoo

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 6, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rutibex posted:

yeah, i was actually thinking of this Star Wars arcade game where you are in an immersive pod. i'd be down for that, but instead of a pod i have VR goggles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgvcAzCesg

I got to try a Gundam fight version of this last week! A dome-and-projector setup is way more gimmicky than VR could ever hope to be, but it was fun to give it a whirl.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Give me one of those and put Mechwarrior 5 on it and just let me starve to death in there

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think anyone is expecting VR to replace 2D games.

I think I played Darkest Dungeon in SteamVR theatre mode for a couple of hours because I forgot to take the headset off...I remember days when the sun shone, and laughter could be heard from the tavern

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

VR will cease being a fad when it’s cheap and light as a spare pair of prescription glasses.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Give me one of those and put Mechwarrior 5 on it and just let me starve to death in there

There's still room in hell for your sorry carcass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think anyone is expecting VR to replace 2D games. I don’t know why so many people seem to think that one is required to cancel out the other.

It's the natural expectation, like how noone plays games on a crt anymore.

I agree though I think it's more equivalent to mobile gaming, suits a time and place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me it's like going to a theater vs watching tv at home. TV is easier so I'm gonna spend more time doing that, but going to a theater can be more of an experience.

VR offers a sense of immersion that blows TV games out of the water. it's really easy to just get lost in it. I love that, but it's not something I want all of the time, or even most of the time. I feel like most people would be in the same boat. Even if VR someday hits the point where it's a household item, I don't see TVs and monitors going anywhere unless we turn into a total Sci-fi dystopia where everyone is just living inside of games.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It's the natural expectation, like how noone plays games on a crt anymore.

I agree though I think it's more equivalent to mobile gaming, suits a time and place.

My best friend just bought a bigass crt for his gaming room to play all his classic systems on. Here's a visual comparison he showed me, CRT on the left and LCD on the right. Classic 2D games were made with the slight blurriness in mind and used it to their advantage. I know I'm just nitpicking a niche scenario for your statement, but I thought the effect was pretty interesting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wish the Nintendo Classic Mini had composite out so I could just hook it up to my 14" CRT because all the games look hideous on a 40" LCD.

E: oh wait never mind it has no good games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i've been playing a bunch of the Unity Daggerfall, and i have to say i am very satisfied. there are so many modern quality of life tweaks (like using the scroll wheel, or click to attack). the game is actually really fun to play. i have installed a bunch of mods that add new quests, better terrain, better graphics, etc.

the quests are actually really dynamic and cool. I don't know if this was the original daggerfall or a mod, but i went to a shop in a random town and the shopkeeper asked me to save his girlfriend. he told me the thieves guild kidnapped her and they were holding her in Tavern X ( i didn't know where that was so i had to ask around town, no quest arrow!). he said they wanted an expensive gem for her release, but would prefer if her could get her back for free. he then handed me the gem. at this point i could have just taken the gem and left town forever (i only came to this province to scam the bank out of 50,000gp). but instead i decided to investigate. i go to the tavern and meet the thief, but tell her she cant have the gem. i get attacked, and kill three thieves. one of them dropped a letter saying that the girlfriend is being held in Keep Y. so i head over to Keep Y, but the random encounter mod i installed decided this keep was taken over by orcs so there was like 2 dozen orcs outside and i couldn't get in. so i gave up on this quest and 4 days later i get a pop-up telling me the girlfriend has been killed :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

My best friend just bought a bigass crt for his gaming room to play all his classic systems on. Here's a visual comparison he showed me, CRT on the left and LCD on the right. Classic 2D games were made with the slight blurriness in mind and used it to their advantage. I know I'm just nitpicking a niche scenario for your statement, but I thought the effect was pretty interesting.

Undead Kobold and an Orc I think? Definitely NES Wizardry enemies, in any case. I haven't played that game in maybe twenty five years. Why does my brain still know this poo poo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm not sure VR will ever truly take off in the same way as games, because strapping goggles and headphones on and completely removing yourself from the outside world isn't really casual entertainment in the way video games are.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wish the Nintendo Classic Mini had composite out so I could just hook it up to my 14" CRT because all the games look hideous on a 40" LCD.

E: oh wait never mind it has no good games.

I didn't know these existed, but I guess they do: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converts-Digital-Signal-Analog/dp/B01KW3MU1G

I believe all the mini classic consoles released thus far have been super easy to hack and load your own roms on. My roommate has the snes and the ps1 versions, and he loaded all kinds of games onto both. The PS1 especially was interesting, as I believe only put 20 games and used mainly their PAL 50hz versions, so he replaced all those games with the NTSC 60hz version and filled out the library considerably more.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

I didn't know these existed, but I guess they do: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converts-Digital-Signal-Analog/dp/B01KW3MU1G

I believe all the mini classic consoles released thus far have been super easy to hack and load your own roms on. My roommate has the snes and the ps1 versions, and he loaded all kinds of games onto both. The PS1 especially was interesting, as I believe only put 20 games and used mainly their PAL 50hz versions, so he replaced all those games with the NTSC 60hz version and filled out the library considerably more.

Not going to buy a 10-20€ adapter for a 40€ computer though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm not sure VR will ever truly take off in the same way as games, because strapping goggles and headphones on and completely removing yourself from the outside world isn't really casual entertainment in the way video games are.

This is an issue for me, but I think the stigma would go once the gear is unobtrusive enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

This is an issue for me, but I think the stigma would go once the gear is unobtrusive enough.

I feel like its less about the gear and more about the complete disconnection from real life on all senses. Its not exactly something super casual you can do while having a laugh, its like a full body and brain commitment. I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it though.