Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's what I figured... Something about the whole thing feels rather unsavory. I've always preferred dealing person-to-person. I'll have to look into it.

Get with this century grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

someone would probably buy it on SA-Mart

Yeah that's Plan A

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm thinking of cancelling Astral Chain. The game looks amazing but I can't see myself stopping Fire Emblem anytime soon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking of cancelling Astral Chain. The game looks amazing but I can't see myself stopping Fire Emblem anytime soon.

Okay

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Tesh posted:

Grandia HD collection is releasing on August 16th. I remember the combat in Grandia II feeling good so excited to revisit it.

Is a shame it took them this long to release it. Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest are going to take up all my gaming time for probably the next 3 months.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

someone would probably buy it on SA-Mart

There's a thought. Obviously you can't sell that for full-price, but you'd want to get enough to cover a substantial amount of a new purchase I guess.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Get with this century grandpa

It's awful I know. I'm totally of the age where I should know about these things.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elman posted:

How does it compare to DoomRL? I'm tempted to buy it, but not if it's just the same thing but shallower and with better graphics.

It's not shallower or dumbed down in any way. It feels pretty similar to me but the maps are smaller. On the other hand there's way more enemy and weapon variety. I'd say the main difference is that TH relies heavily on the use of cover. It is worth mentioning that it's in early access so while it doesn't feel limited there's gonna be more stuff added like playable females and more slapping music.
Try to find a youtube of someone playing it and you'll get a good idea of how it plays. Alternately you could go to the Roguelike thread here and ask questions since the guys there are more informed than me.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 6, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's a thought. Obviously you can't sell that for full-price, but you'd want to get enough to cover a substantial amount of a new purchase I guess.

I haven't checked but I feel like "hackable" gets you to full price.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In other news, I just deleted a bunch of games to make room for 24 gigs of DC Universe Online because I'm an idiot. I won't even play it much and am just curious since I played the original on PC shortly after launch and wonder what it's like eight years later.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm super hyped for astral chain, but three houses has it's hold on me and i think i want to finish a game for once. Still gonna get Astral chain, but might hold off. We'll see how i feel at the end of the month.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Not a Children posted:

It should have been Skies of Arcadia

agreed. just give me legends with dreamcast sound quality and we're good

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

FF13 should be used in Guantanamo bay

it is

Sakurazuka posted:

I agree they should get to play good games there

Well, a lot of copies of Dragon Quest IX are in stock so the prisoners can play a full multiplayer game!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I feel like getting Observer in the current sale and listening to some Rutger Hauer :rip:.
Is its handheld performance decent?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was genuinely the worst performing PS4 game I've ever played so be extremely cautious

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Fitzy Fitz posted:

trying to decide if I should get some contact cleaner or just send my joycons in for repair. they only have the slightest drift.

Contact cleaner definitely did the job for me, mine were starting to be unplayable but now I don't notice any drift at all.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Not a Children posted:

It should have been Skies of Arcadia
Can't we have both?? Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia are two of my favorite games that nobody else played because lol Dreamcast. SoA may be my favorite RPG period. It's not the best for sure but it oozes character and life and the most wonderful sense of adventure and oh drat it I want to play it again but I have no Cube to Game. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was genuinely the worst performing PS4 game I've ever played so be extremely cautious

It’s still a great game though.

Honestly there was just some frame drops after loading m. I didn’t think it was that bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

my first file has always been ZELDA and it took me many years before I learned that the funky music in Link's Awakening was actually an easter egg caused by this :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS2o0Apgik&t=10s

What was it like never going through the first quest in Zelda 1?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

It's not shallower or dumbed down in any way. It feels pretty similar to me but the maps are smaller. On the other hand there's way more enemy and weapon variety. I'd say the main difference is that TH relies heavily on the use of cover. It is worth mentioning that it's in early access so while it doesn't feel limited there's gonna be more stuff added like playable females and more slapping music.
Try to find a youtube of someone playing it and you'll get a good idea of how it plays. Alternately you could go to the Roguelike thread here and ask questions since the guys there are more informed than me.

What game are you talking about?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Wildtortilla posted:

Presumably Jupiter Hell, although it seems they got the abbreviation wrong?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

On the anime cheese scale how does the new Fire Emblem compare to Fates?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Both are cheese but Three houses is good cheese instead of bad cheese

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Less anime but still at the upper boundaries of it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I didn't play Fates, but it's my understanding it's anime levels were very high. I have a low tolerance of anime. I am loving everything about Three Houses.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't play Fates, but it's my understanding it's anime levels were very high. I have a low tolerance of anime. I am loving everything about Three Houses.

Turns out you have a pretty big tolerance for anime

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Still anime, but it's a lot milder. Way less focus on shipping/romance, more focus on the actual setting and politics, no random babies from the bad parenting dimension, no hot springs, supports are more grounded and less focused on inane flirting between one-note characters.

Gameplay-wise it's a bit worse than conquest (the fundamentals are fine but even hard is boringly easy) but apparently they're patching in Lunatic later so maybe that will help?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Three houses isn't THAT bad, I'm about 5 chapters in and there's only been like 1 or 2 egregious anime things

If you just don't like anime conceits in general it might be a little grating though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Three houses is more the weird idiosyncrasies of anime, and less the problematic perverted parts

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Still anime, but it's a lot milder. Way less focus on shipping/romance, more focus on the actual setting and politics, no random babies from the bad parenting dimension, no hot springs, supports are more grounded and less focused on inane flirting between one-note characters.

Gameplay-wise it's a bit worse than conquest (the fundamentals are fine but even hard is boringly easy) but apparently they're patching in Lunatic later so maybe that will help?

There's a fuckton of flirting though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

lol

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Andrast posted:

There's a fuckton of flirting though

There's a lot less and it's a lot better than in Fates though, as low a bar as that may be.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

sounds great then

anime is fine but Fates felt like a joke

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

sounds great then

anime is fine but Fates felt like a joke

Three houses is very good

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm sure I'll find time for it after I'm done with BOTW, MM2, and Warframe!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Three Houses is the best RPG on the Switch

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Three Houses is 100% purestrain anime.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Any science done on the better battery switch? I’m not gonna but one probably but I am curious to know if it can play Fire Emblem for longer than a hour and a half

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Jeez just because it's a japanese permadeath teen dating simulator doesnt mean it's anime.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

I feel like getting Observer in the current sale and listening to some Rutger Hauer :rip:.
Is its handheld performance decent?
You should probably know that his voicework is terrible. He clearly gives no shits about the script. It's only slightly better than in Bleeders where he was clearly drunk in every scene.
Still, it's an awesome walking sim and way better than the studios previous game, Layers of fear.

Wildtortilla posted:

Jupiter Hell that I mentioned earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

Awakening unsettled me with weird romance and breeding kids.

I was pleased when my first interaction with Lorenz in Three Houses was yelling at him cause he wouldn't accept "no" female students when asking then on dates.

No creepy anime dudes in my school!