Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Forktoss posted:

Moon Bugs!
I'm a note block hater almost as much as I'm a ghost house contrarian, so I can't say I enjoyed actually playing this one, but using note blocks to simulate low gravity did make me laugh so I can't dislike it either!

I tried to keep the platforming on the light side because yeah note blocks get annoying quickly. I just found the spinies bouncing around to be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Been juggling a few different games but I like to partake in Jams. I had a idea I was happy with but boy was it a pain in the rear end to put together, I hope the payoff is worth it though!

Princess Peach has fallen ill and the only thing that can save her is a rare herb growing at the top of a mountain. Mario of course sets out to find it- but in his travels he comes across a strange mirror...

Gonna play goon levels soon as I've been slacking, I promise :negative:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
My second attempt at making a level, based on a brutal level from a forgotten game:

Hunted By Microlites
576-JB9-NHF

It's an ice themed 3D World speedrun that is hard, but at least you don't hear EXPLOSION! every 2 seconds.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Made a new levelWalk the Line. It is directly inspired by Johnny Cash. 1PX WXW 2XG

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I found a really nice level in endless mode that was a good mix of theming, aesthetics, and gameplay; VMN-K9V-0RG

This guy has made a few levels that I think the thread would find appealing but has basically no following, so maybe throw em some love if you have some time to spare; DS3-Q53-19G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Internet Kraken posted:

I found a really nice level in endless mode that was a good mix of theming, aesthetics, and gameplay; VMN-K9V-0RG

This guy has made a few levels that I think the thread would find appealing but has basically no following, so maybe throw em some love if you have some time to spare; DS3-Q53-19G

Seconded. His latest level involving the feather is very clever, and overall he at least has a lot of creativity.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My laptop battery died so I am not going to be able to make this as neat as I'd like with the level codes, but I played a few Random Acts of Mario.

Fight Plaque! by DalaranJ

Easy but fun, I like the theme and the sound effects.

Mario Scabs at the Logging Camp, can't remember who this was by and the SA/SMM usernames don't match

Liked it, liked the theme, liked the end, liked the CCCP flag someone drew in the comments.

Leaning Lighthouse by DarkLich

I liked the ideas in here but the time limit is much too low. I ran out of time after a while and I wasn't dilly-dallying. I couldn't be bothered to repeat a bunch of stuff so I just exited.

Mario and the Hidden Treasure by TehLobster

I really enjoyed this, but as several commenters noted, the third and fourth challenges can be bypassed completely because of the environment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made it to 71 in Endless Expert and then game overed :saddowns:

I just wanted to make 100 waaaaa

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Internet Kraken posted:

Made it to 71 in Endless Expert and then game overed :saddowns:

I just wanted to make 100 waaaaa

drat dude, that seems like it should be close to a record

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I want to promote this incredibly clever level I came across:

Planetary Exploration
N5M-TLY-3VG

It's real good. You should play it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finally dipped into endless expert this weekend and I'll be lucky if I manage to hit the achievement for clearing 10 levels. So far my high score is 8. I'm skipping a lot but I'll usually find something that seems normal until 3/4 of the way through where there's some really awkward unpolished section or horrible boss fight and at that point I already feel committed and dump a bunch of lives into it.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some goon levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Into Mount Molehill
By: Sea Lily 11X-J4Y-C0G

2. Build-it-Yourself Bowser Bridges
By: Macaluso TPQ-WQX-0NG

3. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

4. Vogon Constructor Fleet
By: Straight White Shark CX5-9RH-HQF

5. Fearsome Flight
By: Random Stranger 9H9-NGS-RXF

6. The Flying Dutchman
By: yrmr NY9-XY3-W6G

7. Snowpiercer
By: Khanstant 7LK-HSQ-TKF

8. Ghostnote
By: Alf_pogs 1WR-1PP-YDG

9. Ghoststompers!
By: Spiffster 5W0-4N1-PXG

10. The Question Authority
By: Besesoth HB3-W4X-3WG

11. Splatterglup Swamp
By: The Lobster 3XH-Y12-61G

12. Wiggler Willows
By: Forktoss FPP-WWD-90H

13. Contemplate the Pebble
By: Suspicious Cook Y3S-YBY-VKF

14. Clapping Block Rush
By: Khanstant 559-D10-XKF

15. Kong'88
By: Spellman R88-WDM-1XG

16. Mechanized Forest Fort
By: Phantasium PMB-C5B-9RG

=Random Acts of Mario=

#1085 Cheep Cheep Channel
By: Everslain ST4-HCY-YVF

#253 Dr. Drybones Platforming Palace
By: pray for my aunt HSH-8H3-VLG

#56 Abyssal Adventure
By: Random Stranger 9HJ-VK3-41G

#306 Quicker Than The Sand
By: Haschel Cedricson T30-M52-QWF

#561 Making it Rain...bow
By: Girl Drink Drunk 864-BCD-9HG

#705 Super Mario Land
By: Spikey 2WJ-QR2-JWG

#302 No Laws, White Claws!
By: GigaPeon FR9-708-PCG

#1030 In Too Deep
By: Rollersnake NP5-4T3-WKG

#1036 Mario is a Millennial
By: Suspicious Cook GJ2-9B5-9XF

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

drat dude, that seems like it should be close to a record

Anything that isn't super expert is literally "endless"; there are people with thousand + expert streaks going.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

OneMoreTime posted:

If you have the time can you add my new release to your list?  1PX WXW 2XG

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm also playing viewer levels! Come and submit levels with the !add command!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

5. Fearsome Flight

Oh you poor, poor man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey I was playing Overwatch with friends so I couldn't watch this live. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did not expect someone to hit right coming out of the pipe at the end so I didn't think to put more platforms there :p You figured out the level pretty quickly, and it looks like the way I set up the falling thwomps worked out which is good! Thanks for playing it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so many streamers so little time

fire emblem is slowly sucking me away from mario maker, until there's a new blitz or DLC. but god drat it's fun to watch streamers play goon levels

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Hey I was playing Overwatch with friends so I couldn't watch this live. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did not expect someone to hit right coming out of the pipe at the end so I didn't think to put more platforms there :p You figured out the level pretty quickly, and it looks like the way I set up the falling thwomps worked out which is good! Thanks for playing it

lol, the exact same thing happened to me too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Rollersnake posted:

There's a lot of SMB2J/Lost Levels influence in my course design in general, but this is the most Lost Levels-like thing I've made by far.

I loved this level. I was so sure that the exit was hidden in one of the pipes so I tried jumping into every single one of them. When I found the actual exit it was such a :doh: moment, cause of course that's where you have to go.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The next Jam should be super hero themed

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's a stream! Thanks again for everyone who watched. Movie Majick, sorry I couldn't get to your stage but you'll be first up when I play next Thursday/Friday

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/463163648 (last two minutes are cut out, but no stages are played during that time.)

Levels Played:

1. Into Mount Molehill
By: Sea Lily 11X-J4Y-C0G

3. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

4. Vogon Constructor Fleet
By: Straight White Shark CX5-9RH-HQF

5. Fearsome Flight

6. The Flying Dutchman
By: yrmr NY9-XY3-W6G

7. Snowpiercer
By: Khanstant 7LK-HSQ-TKF

8. Ghostnote
By: Alf_pogs 1WR-1PP-YDG

9. Ghoststompers!
By: Spiffster 5W0-4N1-PXG

10. The Question Authority
By: Besesoth HB3-W4X-3WG

11. Splatterglup Swamp
By: The Lobster 3XH-Y12-61G

12. Wiggler Willows
By: Forktoss FPP-WWD-90H

13. Contemplate the Pebble Y3S-YBY-VKF
By: Suspicious Cook

14. Clapping Block Rush
By: Khanstant 559-D10-XKF

15. Kong'88

=Random Acts of Mario=

#1085 Cheep Cheep Channel
By: Everslain ST4-HCY-YVF

#253 Dr. Drybones Platforming Palace
By: pray for my aunt HSH-8H3-VLG

#56 Abyssal Adventure
By: Random Stranger 9HJ-VK3-41G

#306 Quicker Than The Sand
By: Haschel Cedricson T30-M52-QWF

#561 Making it Rain...bow
By: Girl Drink Drunk 864-BCD-9HG

#705 Super Mario Land
By: Spikey 2WJ-QR2-JWG

#302 No Laws, White Claws!
By: GigaPeon FR9-708-PCG

#1030 In Too Deep

#1036 Mario is a Millennial
By: Suspicious Cook GJ2-9B5-9XF

=Level requests=

Beware the Moon and Stars
By: Morat48 T5N-4YV-DQG

Quiz: Spot the Difference
By: The Lobster 700-9Y7-HHF

Portobello Pyramid
By: Haschelcedricson TJ1-4YN-K1H

The Pain Lattice
By:Girl Drink Drunk 74P-FVP-BCG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Random Stranger posted:

Oh you poor, poor man.

Ha! I liked that stage once I figured it out. Mario Maker cape flying is just slightly different from Mario World so I wasn't quite used to it at first. But it worked out!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got another level, my first attempt at the 3D World theme:

Lost Pyramids, Arise!
KFJ-K2J-4FG

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

And that's a stream! Thanks again for everyone who watched. Movie Majick, sorry I couldn't get to your stage but you'll be first up when I play next Thursday/Friday

it was great fun to watch the first half of the stream! sorry for unceremoniously dropping out, work intruded rather abruptly

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

OneMoreTime posted:

#1030 In Too Deep

Yesss, I'm so happy you enjoyed this level. I agree, I think people don't have patience for dark levels in general (myself included, tbh)—and as much as I tried to make this level easier than it looks, it probably wasn't enough. I really could have been more obvious about the functional role the Meepmoops play in this level—you even triggered the lightning effect once, but it didn't seem like anyone picked up on why it happened.

Perry Normal posted:

I loved this level. I was so sure that the exit was hidden in one of the pipes so I tried jumping into every single one of them. When I found the actual exit it was such a :doh: moment, cause of course that's where you have to go.

Also really glad people have been enjoying this one (and Four a Change). Traditional Mario 1/2J style levels are basically the one thing I can trust myself to only spend an evening or two on and have it not turn out like crap, but I wasn't that motivated to make them, because I assumed people wouldn't be that interested in playing them. Now I'm definitely going to make more.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 6, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If Nintendo just let me filter out every level tagged "speedrun" then Endless mode would be way more enjoyable

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A few random levels.

Icicle Islands: This level is mostly great, but there's one jump off a red paratroopa in the middle that is essentially blind. If you don't jump off the troopa at the apex of its ascent you won't make it, and there's nothing to telegraph that. Not a big deal overall since the checkpoint is so close, but little things like that can ruin an otherwise fun stage in an endless run since its a cheap way to lose a life.

Red Coin Forest Temple: Well-made level in terms of gameplay but the two substages don't really feel like they fit well together. In a vacuum there's nothing wrong with either of em but in terms of both gameplay and aesthetic they didn't fit too me. Only mention this because I feel an effort was made to focus on some aesthetics but it fell short for me.

Factory Spillage: Not bad but very short. Didn't really get much satisfaction out of it. A lot more could be done.

Underwater Castle Very Hard: This wasn't terribly hard. Not bad, but not amazing either. Not much to say about it honestly.

Abyss Castle: Not really sure what was going on with the start. Felt like a kind of random fall into a standard castle level. Not a bad level but it left me scratching my head.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Princess Peach has fallen ill and the only thing that can save her is a rare herb growing at the top of a mountain. Mario of course sets out to find it- but in his travels he comes across a strange mirror...

I've played a lot of mirror levels over time but I enjoyed this one more than most. Mainly because when people do these stages they keep making you swap between layouts which is novel at first but can become tedious, and also isn't really original anymore. It was nice to have the reflected level just be something you got to run through backwards rather than a bunch of repeated visits. Also the level itself is just fun.

I died twice to self-inflicted poison shrooms though which was pretty embarrassing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

15. Kong'88

It might please you that I am going to make this a series, but with original rooms going forward. I discovered before making this that making 8 stages is easy, and the toolset is perfect for making Donkey Kong '94 style puzzles. I might replicate a room or two if would be a fun reference, but these will be tight little parkour puzzles to get keys like the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You apparently can't use custom scrolling in sublevels? For... some reason?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Macaluso posted:

Huh, really? Because I've definitely seen standard. That's a bummer.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Macaluso posted:

You can do vertical scrolling though, right? How does it know which direction to go?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Normal scrolling is definitely there. You can specify the direction if vertical.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I mean with horizontal scrolling with the bird icon where you can move the camera up and down and change the speed of the scrolling mid-scroll. It's greyed out in the sublevel.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah I was disappointed to find that as well. I wanted to do a version of that SMB3 World 5 level that autoscrolls up diagonally, but since the main level is only horizontal and the sub level only does basic autoscrolling, no dice.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
man I don’t know how to get started creating again, i only did one level but it was so big and time consuming it kind of took my motivation away to start a new one. I’ve partly been distracted by other games and tend to use mm to play endless/random acts of Mario, so some of it is just time management, but staring at a blank level canvas is really tough.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Princeps32 posted:

man I don’t know how to get started creating again, i only did one level but it was so big and time consuming it kind of took my motivation away to start a new one. I’ve partly been distracted by other games and tend to use mm to play endless/random acts of Mario, so some of it is just time management, but staring at a blank level canvas is really tough.

I'd really suggest doing a blitz level (whether it's the weekly or a personal one). A limited amount of objects and a strict time limit of 2 hours goes a long way to breaking indecision I've found.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just wanted to do that thing where you hide the auto scroll behind a breakable scroll stop but couldn't since it can't go left to right in a vertical level.

OneMoreTime posted:

I'm glad you mostly liked it! I realize now I should have removed more of the "helmets" I gave the buzzy beetles/chain chomps, originally they all had them but I thought leaving behind the munchers/cannons was kind of annoying and removed it for a lot of them (especially since the cannons could let you find the secrets more easily), so seeing that one crush you kind of sucked. I'm glad you found the secret before the pipe, I hid something on top of all the trees but made that one so you had to have Yoshi instead of using him for the second jump. And I'm glad the boss fight has mostly landed for everyone; originally I had this tortured setup that was meant to convey you hitting the boss 3 times to beat him but couldn't find a way to actually let you out of the room or even to 100% force it to work correctly so abandoned it for something much simpler.

I also hid a star in that level almost just because of the goon that wanted to see more stars in levels with no gimmick attached (and even added an extra enemy after it so it could lead to a 1-up).

But yeah if I end up making a level that's long it tends to be really long and end with a non-traditional boss fight. Especially when I'm going into it as if it were from a Yoshi game.

Princeps32 posted:

make. more. tiny levels

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Princeps32 posted:

Start on paper, sometimes I will sketch a cool set-up for a section at work, and stitch them together later in the day

You may look at your crappy sketches and think "how is this making the process easier", but Mario Maker's controls will slow you down just like any other digital creation tool, and you'll spend less time arguing with yourself about whether to place a muncher or a spiketrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have created high art and I want this thread to savor it. Most levels shoot for a normal or happy vibe but this one... this story is a tragedy.

Mario rips a family in half just so he could clear a stage. In a way, this could be a jam level as you're clearly a horrible villain.

I'm aware in certain parts you can outspeed the mole but honestly, it's hard to make a stage where his "weapon" isn't getting knocked off so choices were limited. I think the end result is still alright though.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've played a lot of mirror levels over time but I enjoyed this one more than most. Mainly because when people do these stages they keep making you swap between layouts which is novel at first but can become tedious, and also isn't really original anymore. It was nice to have the reflected level just be something you got to run through backwards rather than a bunch of repeated visits. Also the level itself is just fun.

I died twice to self-inflicted poison shrooms though which was pretty embarrassing.

Really glad you liked it! I don't really have much against levels where you're constantly shifting back and forth as long as it's done right but I can see how it would get annoying if it's over used. I just wanted to try making something that works both ways really due to the theme :v:

Gonna play some goon levels today as I don't have anything better to do so will post a full list when I'm done. Might not doodle anything though so I can play more than I usually do though :sweat_drop: That and for some reason my switch dock is starting to like, really hate registering the console being in it? Like I have to very gently jiggle it around to get it to show up on TV and it's weird.

Princeps32 posted:

I can understand this. Honestly I feel like I can pump out normal levels that are fun and easy to play just by asking myself "how would Nintendo build a level" and acting off that, but anything more inspired I have to ask myself if I want to tell a story. Then I just kinda go from there formulating ideas on how I'd go about it.
This morning for example I had the level I just posted rolling in my head that I wanted a enemy to chase after Mario with various weapons. That was my first thought. Then I asked myself what would be a goofy theme and kind of just put things together from that alone.

Other then that gonna echo trying to do a custom blitz with limited options. You can easily overwhelm yourself with the whole library of enemies/objects so being restricted and maybe giving yourself a slight bit of leeway might help.
Also, don't feel the need to use the full length of a stage. I know plenty of folks (goons included) that enjoy smaller bite sized courses.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 6, 2019