Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Failson posted:

Is stress addiction a thing? I mean, that's probably why I feel comfortable here, constantly on the verge of breaking completely, isn't it?

APPARENTLY, there is a certain population among combat veterans (those in the "mostly okay" category who experienced actual poo poo) that when they get back to their very stable, comfortable and tranquil civilian lives suddenly develop all sorts of somatic fuckery, like violent intestinal cramps, nausea out of the blue, etc which they don't take a lot of time to find out that can be alleviated through copious amounts of caffeine and nicotine

iirc, emotional shock goes both ways: from going to a stable environment to a no-poo poo warzone is ofc pretty intense, but there is a sort of "negative intensity" (so to speak?) when one comes back: the normalcy and lack of very aggressive stimuli can lead to all sorts of paranoiac/neurotic shitstorms, combined with kilos of daily non-stop adrenaline and cortisol exposure having to tune down to a regular baseline

based on that I would say yeah mos def

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

Sometimes people with PTSD do that

dead gay comedy forums posted:

APPARENTLY, there is a certain population among combat veterans (those in the "mostly okay" category who experienced actual poo poo) that when they get back to their very stable, comfortable and tranquil civilian lives suddenly develop all sorts of somatic fuckery, like violent intestinal cramps, nausea out of the blue, etc which they don't take a lot of time to find out that can be alleviated through copious amounts of caffeine and nicotine

iirc, emotional shock goes both ways: from going to a stable environment to a no-poo poo warzone is ofc pretty intense, but there is a sort of "negative intensity" (so to speak?) when one comes back: the normalcy and lack of very aggressive stimuli can lead to all sorts of paranoiac/neurotic shitstorms, combined with kilos of daily non-stop adrenaline and cortisol exposure having to tune down to a regular baseline

based on that I would say yeah mos def

I've never done anything but computer toucher jobs, and have lived a fairly cushy life. So, yay me for making myself a disaster! Good job. New I could do it.

Sadbrains real bad tonight. Its a beauriful summer night, but I feel like garbage all around, and I'm going to bed at 8:00. Also i learned that two of my favorite scifi authers (Niven and Pournell) are complete creeps. Just never goona read a book by a dude again.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's nothing wrong with tuning out of hell world for your own sanity and enjoying whatever you can in your life in the short term. the problems of the world are beyond all of us to solve individually, and there'll be plenty of time for action and hard times when they're upon us. don't feel guilty if you have a decent job/income, some comforts, and a healthy relationship or whatever. as long as you're doing whatever you can in your capacity to help and be there, you're golden. you can't set yourself on fire for other people

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
lol I finally got a response from the interview I had 2 weeks ago that I thought I did really in. I got rejected because my excel skills weren't strong enough.

I'm so loving worthless. If it isn't my lackluster interview skills, it's my lack of experience.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Equeen posted:

I'm so loving worthless.

Your worth as a person is not determined by your usefulness at a potential job. :capitalism:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Equeen posted:

lol I finally got a response from the interview I had 2 weeks ago that I thought I did really in. I got rejected because my excel skills weren't strong enough.

I'm so loving worthless. If it isn't my lackluster interview skills, it's my lack of experience.

Experience requirements are no joke a lot of bullshit. I've heard in some cases they deliberately make them ridiculous so the company can go "WELL WE TRIED TO HIRE LOCAL BUT Y'ALL AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH" before hiring crap overseas or something, just so they go through the motions.

That said, I was in a period of unemployable unemployment a while back because I was fired from a medical transcription job the same day I was accepted into my Ph.D program, so I ended up taking a lot of free employment courses as part of my unemployment. And one thing I definitely remember is that there are ways to actually get certified for using specific software online, sometimes for free. A quick search found this page with a bunch of courses for Excel, for example.

Something else I also learned in those courses is that a shocking amount of stuff you would think is totally pointless to list counts as job skills. Can you use Windows? A touchtone business phone? A number pad? Those are skills, bizarrely enough.

Really, I don't know if they let you do it for free if you're not actively collecting unemployment, but you might also see if courses like the ones I took in Washington State for improving your employment chances are around. I thought they were pretty useful myself but YMMV.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Chokes McGee posted:

Your worth as a person is not determined by your usefulness at a potential job. :capitalism:

thanks chokes :love:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
First of all and most importantly:

Chokes McGee posted:

Second, lack of Excel skills sounds like a real bullshit made up answer. Like culture fit, but even more dumb. "Uuuhh gently caress, we hired my boss' nephew, I need to make up some dumb garbage STAT"

Job hunting is a soul grinding process run mostly by the biggest dipshits in the company or algorithms filtering dipshit ideology. You're still hella cool Equeen.

(also who rejects someone with an Elizabeth avatar? Unconscionable.)

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
I feel like the best rejection I ever got was somebody who explained that I was otherwise fully capable, but somebody else just knew about Minnesota History a bit more, and since I was applying for a position at the Minnesota Historical Society my response was just "hell, fair."

I've often been told I should e-mail folks who reject me to see exactly what I did wrong that I could improve on but ha ha haaaaaaaa i dun wanna.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Honestly, I'm proud of myself for not bursting into tears at the rejection since I was expecting to. I know Excel, I guess I didn't strongly emphasize that I'm a big-brained Excel genius who knows every single function in it.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Equeen posted:

Honestly, I'm proud of myself for not bursting into tears at the rejection since I was expecting to. I know Excel, I guess I didn't strongly emphasize that I'm a big-brained Excel genius who knows every single function in it.

In that case it DEFINITELY sounds like a bullshit rejection. *I* sure as hell don't know everything in Excel.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I'm gonna try to turn this into a lesson and learn to lie embellish better in interviews.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
"Did you program a DOOM-like in Excel? Well I'm sorry, you're just not a good fit here"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Second, lack of Excel skills sounds like a real bullshit made up answer. Like culture fit, but even more dumb. "Uuuhh gently caress, we hired my boss' nephew, I need to make up some dumb garbage STAT"

Yup. The other made up rejection reason is "we went with someone with more experience in the field." If it's a super specialized job your bullshit RADAR should be a-pingin' if they bothered to bring in people without experience to interview in the first place.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Equeen posted:

thanks chokes :love:

:hfive:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Equeen posted:

I'm gonna try to turn this into a lesson and learn to lie embellish better in interviews.

Job hunting can be very demoralizing, and you have my sympathy, and also confidence that you will find something!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
first official archery lesson tomorrow :cheers:

Really looking forward to it. I've said this in the TRFUDSMP thread before, but I loved the intro class, and I think I've found my sport.

Try new things y'all! It's good for depression.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Failson posted:

Job hunting can be very demoralizing, and you have my sympathy, and also confidence that you will find something!

Failson? More like Successson!!!

but thank you for the kind words :glomp:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it sounds like a canard but every failed job interview really is one step closer to the one where all the accumulated fuckups from the past cross some experiential threshold and you do just the right type of great for the interview

right before I found my job I had an interview where I thought they had told me I was hired and it was just a formality finishing things out, but they ultimately picked another candidate a week later because that person had like 20 years event planning and secretarial experience and the next interview I had was for the job Im doing now, which has better prospects.

also i was at the suboxone doctor today filling out like a mental health evaluation - six months ago I was at like 17-20 points which is close to crisis, today I woke up after spending yesterday and last night with this new girl, today is a paid day off, and my form was at 1 point which is unprecedented for me in the two years Ive been here. feels good man

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Aug 30, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i appreciate the head's up, truly. We are not in a financial place to move yet and my wife wants to get her master's done. i dont think I'll be able to leave my sad brains south of the border or on this side of the atlantic/Pacific but I'm sick of the unfettered cruelty of this country and poo poo really seems to be getting worse and i can either ignore it (haven't been able to so far), try and change it (contributed, volunteered) or GTFO.

I'm lucky in that my job can travel with me (we have several international remote workers). that is so long as they want to keep paying people at my company. I'd be boned job hunting for a writing/editing job as I will die before typing out shitloads of surpurflous "U's" :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Aug 30, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ha, even the spelling thing has been difficult for me in Australia. Jail is gaol, curb is kerb, like wtf. And for the life of me I cannot call an elevator a lift.

A few days ago an old lady came up to me and said "you look like a local, where's the (unintelligible)"

Then when I said I'm not sure she's like "great the first guy I asked was a pom and now I get a yank"

lolstralia

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

To those talking about moving countries, just know that it won't help with mental problems usually. I tried it and while I love my new country/city I'm having new problems like being an immigrant that puts me at the bottom of the pile for job applications (my resume/education sucks due to brain problems going back to about age 14 though).

Even moving to another English speaking country can be a pretty huge amount of culture shock. Hell even within a country can be weird, I'm from Vancouver and even other Canadians find it really tough to adjust there since it's quite different culturally from the rest of Canada. Making friends is hard and of course there's no family to help.

Don't want to discourage anyone who's thinking about it but make sure you're ok on the inside first.

This is great perspective, and I appreciate it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Ha, even the spelling thing has been difficult for me in Australia. Jail is gaol, curb is kerb, like wtf. And for the life of me I cannot call an elevator a lift.

A few days ago an old lady came up to me and said "you look like a local, where's the (unintelligible)"

Then when I said I'm not sure she's like "great the first guy I asked was a pom and now I get a yank"

id like to think I'm ok at aussie slang, but I have no idea what a pom could be except a pomeranian dog

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Frog Act posted:

also i was at the suboxone doctor today filling out like a mental health evaluation - six months ago I was at like 17-20 points which is close to crisis, today I woke up after spending yesterday and last night with this new girl, today is a paid day off, and my form was at 1 point which is unprecedented for me in the two years I’ve been here. feels good man

gently caress yeah, that's all awesome!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

id like to think I'm ok at aussie slang, but I have no idea what a pom could be except a pomeranian dog

British person.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Àaaaaa I have my interview in three hours im screaming

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol i hate my job and i hate capitalism and life in america loving does not own.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

aaaaa I have my interview in three hours im screaming

u can do it

i believe

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have one in six hours

good luck, friend :hai:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Punk da Bundo posted:

lol i hate my job and i hate capitalism and life in america loving does not own.

sorry for the doublepost, but :agreed: so hard

i just got scolded by my coworker for drinking my coffee too loudly

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Equeen posted:

I have one in six hours

good luck, friend :hai:

Y'all got this. Give em hell, lie your asses off

Punk da Bundo posted:

:same:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

you're gonna ace it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

gently caress yeah, that's all awesome!

thanks man. it was kinda undermined by a series of awful experiences at different pharmacies where one guy refused to fill my prescription even as my prescribing doctor yelled at him over the phone. I had to go to three pharmacies and I thought I might end up without medication which would mean everything Ive accomplished these past couple years come crashing down behind me. I wrote more extensively about it in the TCC recovery thread but it was just an awful experience that reminded me nobody ever respects a junkie once they know your background. I also ended up out of pocket almost $400 total between the price of 23 suboxone ($267) and a single 15 minute visit to rehab ($100).

Ive almost never been treated so poorly and with such naked contempt by another person, Im taking some time today at work to draft a complaint letter about the first pharmacist to the state pharmacy board. Im also going to complain to his store and regional manager, second time in my life Ive ever filed a formal complaint with anyone. ditto with the other pharmacist who explained to me that 72 hours is three days in the same voice youd use talking to a toddler before refusing outright to fill my prescription for cash because ??, I used to work at CVS so Im going to hit all the bad service phrases that will get him at least a reprimand.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Also Godspeed job goons, every interview is another dice roll that might finally go your way, and both of yall have been working hard to build the skills that get you through it so its kind of a matter of statistical inevitability, after a fashion

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So I ended up drinking last night after near 2 years of not doing so. Not the best decision I've ever made, but the cool thing was I loving hated nearly every minute of it, from the way I could tell my self control was slipping to the way my body was telling me hey wtf are you doing. So I now have absolutely no desire to ever repeat that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

you're gonna ace it

Lol no this did not happen, it was all the abstract personality poo poo and nothing about my job skills, ie all the stuff my lovely brain is bad at and nothing it's good at

If I got it I'll be so surprised I'll poo poo myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

well, at worst thats good experience, knowing to expect and generate some answers for that kind of abstract culture fit garbage

I bet you did better then you think based on your extensive knowledge of TCGs and getting that far in the process really