Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

Johnny Truant posted:

Played my first two games(not against AI) in 5 years last night and WOW I didn't remember poo poo. Trickling back from the recesses of my mind, but that first game was rough, even as Sniper :psyduck:

i didn't play for about a year and came back a while ago. went straight into ranked matches. some folks we're not happy, but i ended up 50/50 and legend 4 or abouts there.

just have fun man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

valve should remake boata.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nizox posted:

i didn't play for about a year and came back a while ago. went straight into ranked matches. some folks we're not happy, but i ended up 50/50 and legend 4 or abouts there.

just have fun man.

Oh no doubt, I just wanted to get a few practice unranked matches in before switching to ranked. Like, mainly so I can remember the keybindings and customize my new mouse with some of them.

It's wild coming back and seeing strange new items, like now there's Kaya & Yasha and Kaya & Sange? :psyduck:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

It's wild coming back and seeing strange new items, like now there's Kaya & Yasha and Kaya & Sange? :psyduck:

Or new Heroes lol.

And RE: "Just have fun" - I've been trying real hard not to get salty, but holy crap last night me and my 2 buddies got paired up with two randoms who went Viper/Drow offlane and fed 20+ kills together. Tinker mid was unable to gank, I was Enigma in the Jungle (tbf I did loving awful because I forgot how to Jungle enigma) and then bot lane was.... something else that sucks at rotating. The two of them literally never once used their TP scrolls to switch lanes. The Drow was buying Recipes for items before getting the actual item components.

Like I get it, losing is a team effort and I should be asking myself, "Well what could I have done better?" but goddamn.

I've lost more games than I've won since I started playing again a week or two ago, but that was the first one in a series of losses that made me say, "Oh right - this is why I stopped playing DOTA."

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/7mavjOReTo0

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Sab669 posted:

(tbf I did loving awful because I forgot how to Jungle enigma)

Don't feel bad: you weren't supposed to do well because there is no solo jungle to 15 mins anymore.
The creep gold/exp was nerfed shortly after the 7.00 patch.
If you do want to jungle, make your presence known in lane and always stack.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's good to know, but the key factor was that I turned a Ranged Creep into some Eidolons right out of the gate rather than converting the 'boss' creep in the camp. So my little bros got their poo poo kicked in instantly, then it was on cooldown and I had to just face tank poo poo / wait for mana & cooldown constantly.

I played a few games Jungle NP right out of the gate and I was still getting Midas around ~7-8 minutes which seems to be par for the course from what I remember year(s) ago?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Was there a patch where you could run 4 cores and a jungler and not expect to lose horribly?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not really unless the jungler was rat dota furion/lycan and you just made every fight a 3v4 because they kept having to send people to defend rax in every engagement. which is still true today pretty much.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Sab669 posted:

So my little bros got their poo poo kicked in instantly...

Micro your eidolons. Let one tank then move it back, let another tank then move it back. Their attack-proc-spawn-passive thing is what matters, not their health. Your eidolons should basically never die in the jungle (they time out).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Was there a patch where you could run 4 cores and a jungler and not expect to lose horribly?
In low MMR games, maybe, because low MMR games both stretch on forever and don't punish bad laning comps nearly as hard as they should.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Incoherence posted:

In low MMR games, maybe, because low MMR games both stretch on forever and don't punish bad laning comps nearly as hard as they should.

You can still jungle in low MMR games. Even if jungling gave decent gold now, anyone competent would just block all the camps. See also: Playing against Meepo or Alch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MoaM posted:

Micro your eidolons. Let one tank then move it back, let another tank then move it back. Their attack-proc-spawn-passive thing is what matters, not their health. Your eidolons should basically never die in the jungle (they time out).

I mean, I know you're supposed to swap who is tanking - NP is my second most played hero and you gotta rotate his Treants too.

I just made the mistake of Converting a lane creep instead of a jungle creep, and not realizing how weak the Eidolons are out of the gate. Also I was initially thinking they split upon taking N hits, rather than attacking N times :downs:

Like, Level 1 Eidolons have 180 HP and 270 move speed. They die to 3-4 attacks from a full Kobold camp. So after it took 1 volley and got chunked, I have a very short window to then select the single Eidolon and try to move it out of range but it's too late because the kobolds move faster and can chase easily.

Last time I played Enigma, according to DOTABuff, was 2014 lol.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 6, 2019

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Don't jungle in 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Killing your ranged creep is the correct decision as semi-jungle enigma.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

FACKER posted:

Don't jungle in 2017, 2018 or 2019

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Agreed. Just ignore the jungle and you'll win more games. Do something else useful with your time like pushing a lane or ganking a lane or defending a tower or warding/rewarding or convincing your team that objectives win the game and it's not a game of hide and seek in the jungle

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Turbo mode?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Did they give a reason for nerfing jungling when they did? I was decent with Enigma at it in like, 2013, haha.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we can talk about optimal Enigma play but at the end of the day someone on that team needed to pick a support. IDK if one of the two randoms was showing support though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't remember the order in which people picked.

I think it was:

Drow
TA
Weaver
Viper
Enigma

I couldn't decide what to pick; I'm bad at drafting. And so are my friends lol.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Enigma in the offlane is pretty drat good. Deny all the ranged creeps by converting to eidolons, use the eidolons to deny the rest of your creeps, lane pushes into your tower constantly so you're not out in the open without an escape and you're starving the enemy carry of farm. Don't jungle

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was bad of the Viper to pick a 4th core but you can't always depend on randoms to make sensible picks so that's something you could account for. Jungle Enigma definitely seems like a poor pick there, when you already have an awkward team that needs a lot of farm to do anything you don't want a hero that ignores the lane and takes jungle creeps away from your cores.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The jungle is there to augment the farm of your mid/offlane hero, but the thing you need to keep in mind is that the jungle is always objectively worse than farming a lane. If you're a hero who actually wants gold or levels (which is certainly Enigma), you need to be in a lane. Keeping that in mind though, if you're the offlaner and the enemy is trilaning and you can't get any EXP or farm, just dip into the jungle. You're not going to stop them from taking advantage of that lane, so it's better that you can get some EXP or levels yourself. You want to stay in the offlane triangle though. Yes, this leaves their supports open to roam, but that's why the offlaners shouldn't really take the observers and let them be used to defend mid and safelane. If you need to block camps, use sentries. Plus, once you see them rotate, you can get into the lane for the EXP. If they're bad (which they probably are if its a pub) eventually theyll push the lane into your tower which is also a great time to grab the EXP.

If you're the safelaner, you're pretty much glued to the lane. Mid goes to the jungle on the way to gank and stuff. The famous "deadlane" analogy refers to the idea that no team will ever have the resources to safely farm every lane, so you need to pick one lane to sack. This isn't just in the laning phase, this is at all points of the game. So, basically, whichever lane the enemy team is congregating in will be the one whose hero goes to farm the jungle. You basically never want a dedicated jungler.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

on the other hand being a solo 5 support is going to wind up terrible if you got a guy 4th picking viper in that scenario so gently caress it play whatever you want

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Sab669 posted:

Or new Heroes lol.

And RE: "Just have fun" - I've been trying real hard not to get salty, but holy crap last night me and my 2 buddies got paired up with two randoms who went Viper/Drow offlane and fed 20+ kills together. Tinker mid was unable to gank, I was Enigma in the Jungle (tbf I did loving awful because I forgot how to Jungle enigma) and then bot lane was.... something else that sucks at rotating. The two of them literally never once used their TP scrolls to switch lanes. The Drow was buying Recipes for items before getting the actual item components.

Like I get it, losing is a team effort and I should be asking myself, "Well what could I have done better?" but goddamn.

I've lost more games than I've won since I started playing again a week or two ago, but that was the first one in a series of losses that made me say, "Oh right - this is why I stopped playing DOTA."

If you're not a toxic player, sometimes they wind up with you, but more often than not they'll be on the other team.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Pos4 enigma that jungles offlane side and rushes fast helm is in high mmr matches. You just dont stay in the jungle and push towers fast.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Neon Belly posted:

If you're not a toxic player, sometimes they wind up with you, but more often than not they'll be on the other team.

Honestly this was the reason I started playing offlane. I realized that every player is ten minutes of a really bad laning phase away from a mental breakdown, and those players are usually the kind who insist on playing safelane carry. Throwing Concussion Shots at safelaners is not just inflicting magical damage, but also emotional damage that will eventually add up to someone yelling slurs in all-chat before giving up and handing you your +25

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FACKER posted:

Don't jungle

Yes I heard you the first time you said it, when the next guy quoted you, and the next time you posted saying "Ignore the jungle".

I got the message loud and clear. We're simply talking about how the rest of the game unfolded at this point / what else I could've done differently.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Use a quelling blade to deforest the map one tree at a time while your teammates watch in horror

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbh even when I play 'jungle' furion I'm really a roaming ganker like pudge, just with consistent gold income. You fall off in xp even doing that though without an early midas so offlane is better if you know you'll be able to farm it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Did they give a reason for nerfing jungling when they did? I was decent with Enigma at it in like, 2013, haha.

icefrog wanted to ruin the game like he did with the denial change killing offlane.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The new matchmaking update brings ranked roles to base matchmaking. You're now MMR'd with Core / Support values or something; no party/solo MMR.

That post is kinda long, needs to be re-written.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

icefrog wanted to ruin the game like he did with the denial change killing offlane.

Honestly I'm having trouble believing that the same Icefrog that consistently came up with brilliant changes every patch suddenly went crazy and decided to turn the game into EM, force 2-1-2 and kill the jungle, offlane and trilanes.

(sorry, I blame Underlords for reopening old wounds :arghfist::saddowns: )

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I still miss the Iron Talon. I don't think it was even around for very long.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
That was the best item...

...because it thought you how to last hit.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nah, it was great because it let otherwise starved offlaners farm the side-jungle rapidly between waves.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Jungling then had two paths to success:
>Chen, Enigma, or Furion getting some early XP then going and ganking a lane/pushing an early tower
>Drow, LC, Lycan, Lifestealer, Bloodseeker, or some other hero with sustain or summons just farming it up

The second way would make your team fight 5v4 for a while until they have enough levels and farm. Pro teams would even run a jungler as a 4 sometime (there was some really loony Juggernaut in the jungle poo poo for a while too) The problem was that most pub teams without a jungler weren't coordinated enough to gank the jungler and press their advantage...it made the pub experience stagnant and made it pretty miserable to solo support when your 4 is a jungler. At some point they also added in the Iron Talon too which was basically an upgraded quelling blade to use for jungling. Eventually they changed the map to add in a bunch of camps but nerfed the XP, and then added bounty runes so for a while your 4 position would just roam around, get bounties, and gank lanes/poo poo on the jungler. Of course, this meta also featured many different heroes buying Iron Talons and acting like semi-ganker jungler.

At different points they removed bounty rune XP, removed Iron Talon, nerfed the jungle more, all of that changed the meta and stuck a fork in jungling.

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2019

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So speaking of jungling, I just played a game. I was pos4 support with wind ranger in the offlane; the safe enemy lane had a trilane of legion commander, wraith king and shadow shaman. At 3 minutes, legion hosed off into the jungle for 10 minutes, farmed boots and a monkey king bar (because this is sub2k MMR hotness). I stayed in lane with wind ranger and we ended up doing pretty well, but the legion commander ended up running away with the game, for that and other reasons.

What was the right move in this situation? We had faceless void with jakiro in safe lane vs. a solo centaur; should I have called to the jakiro to rotate and we just gank the legion command until she went to the small jungle?

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/4951813752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

MoaM posted:

The new matchmaking update brings ranked roles to base matchmaking. You're now MMR'd with Core / Support values or something; no party/solo MMR.

That post is kinda long, needs to be re-written.

Terrible wording but this could be good. I like that you can queue for multiple positions and that you can pick position 5 or 4 and not just "support".

"Most of the issues related to this we think we can solve with better algorithms. " this sounds terrifying though. I have no faith in them or in algorithms .

They're absolutely right that ranked incentivized solo play