Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's insane how much money pete is bringing in despite not moving at all in the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Loucks posted:

What have you read? My understanding was that he was shot at least twice in the back. Strange suicide technique. (Still not a Clinton execution.)

It looks like you are correct.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why is his mouth so small

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1158815864344469506

Sanders and Warren the only two with significant UPWARD movement.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's insane how much money pete is bringing in despite not moving at all in the polls.

Guess that's what happens when your base consists exclusively of bourgie motherfuckers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Playing the basketball game against Bernie is a fools errand, we've seen him sink buckets

Buckets Sanders / B-Pass-the-Rock Oballer

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

BrandorKP posted:

It came out in the news that the "Hillary murdered Seth Rich" narrative was actually Russian in origin. The actual death, still probably a suicide from what I've read, it looks like they took adavantage of an opportunity basically. But all the stories about it that circulated in the right wing, those were created by Russia and that's been reported in the main steam news.

An entire industry has existed for several decades designed to pump out conspiracy theories specifically about the Clintons murdering people. The idea that nobody would have started speculating about Clinton's involvement or that Hannity and the rest of the right-wing noise machine somehow wouldn't have thought to seize on such a story if not for reading about it on whatdoesitmean.com defies basic common sense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1158814004221026305

They want Biden.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The obvious cynical take is that the party wants their own soup brained moron that they can whisper in his ear.

Absolute chaos theory: biden becomes president but keeps the trump cabinet (or at least a significant portion). Wouldn’t want all of that hard work John Bolton has been doing go to waste; the dems ARE the party of responsibility after all.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Reverend Dr posted:

Mostly Harmless means Not Harmless.

Counterpoint: Accelerationism may actually be a necessity due to the effects of hypernomalization. How bad is hypernomalization in our society again?

Pete's arguably an 'accelerationist' candidate too. Jump forward two generations. Bernie great, but old.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Pete's arguably an 'accelerationist' candidate too. Jump forward two generations. Bernie great, but old.

Two generations is 40 years.

You want us to vote for Pete 40 years from now?

I'll consider it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

An entire industry has existed for several decades designed to pump out conspiracy theories specifically about the Clintons murdering people. The idea that nobody would have started speculating about Clinton's involvement or that Hannity and the rest of the right-wing noise machine somehow wouldn't have thought to seize on such a story if not for reading about it on whatdoesitmean.com defies basic common sense.

Kavinaugh invented that industry.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/kavanaugh-accused-of-promoting-whacko-conspiracy-theories-about-hillary-clinton-vince-foster-affair/

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Two generations is 40 years.

You want us to vote for Pete 40 years from now?

I'll consider it.

I mean, he'd be Bernie's age at that point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mahoning posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1158815864344469506

Sanders and Warren the only two with significant UPWARD movement.

Yeah but is it fast enough

I've seen these curves before. In 2008 the insurgent (Obama) curve increased fast enough and the establishment (Clinton) curve decreased fast enough that the insurgent won. In 2016, they didn't, and then we know what happened in the general.

Here we've got two dinky curves and they seem to be increasing slowly, while Biden's polling isn't collapsing nearly as quickly as his brainmeat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've seen these curves before. In 2008 the insurgent (Obama) curve increased fast enough and the establishment (Clinton) curve decreased fast enough that the insurgent won. In 2016, they didn't, and then we know what happened in the general.

Here we've got two dinky curves and they seem to be increasing slowly, while Biden's polling isn't collapsing nearly as quickly as his brainmeat.

The first primary is 6 months away

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Deeply troubled by these curves. The curves aren't quite curving in the way I hoped they would curve. The curviness is off

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

There's another debate that hopefully won't be split in two next month. The party needs to dispense with the requirements and just cut it to 10.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Calibanibal posted:

Deeply troubled by these curves. The curves aren't quite curving in the way I hoped they would curve. The curviness is off

Please don't read my psyche.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The curves should be curving like this *makes a curving motion with hand*

But instead they're curving like /this/ *makes a curving motion with hand, but the curve is curving differently*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/...ingawful.com%2F

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

No he didn't.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Now these are some curves I can get behind.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Uglycat posted:

sure, if you just ignore the meanings of words and use them to mean whatever the hell you want them to mean, then yeah you could argue that Pete's an accelerationist candidate

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In other words, the polls are pretty drat meaningless beyond telling us that the viable candidates are Biden, Bernie, Warren and maybe Harris.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He's an accelerationist in that when minority voters see him they turn 360 degrees and then accelerate away.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Oh Snapple! posted:

He's an accelerationist in that when minority voters see him they turn 360 degrees and then accelerate away.

Wouldn't they accelerate towards him after a 360

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its really hard to even get a good sense of the debates with the current clown car. I get that the DNC is trying to avoid looking like they're playing any kind of favorites, but can we cut it down to like 7 or 8 people for the next debate?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Agree with this. Once Biden and Warren are on the same stage, things could really shift

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1158819906403688448

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Glumslinger posted:

Its really hard to even get a good sense of the debates with the current clown car. I get that the DNC is trying to avoid looking like they're playing any kind of favorites, but can we cut it down to like 7 or 8 people for the next debate?

They have to keep open the option of the also-ran grifters (looking at delaney and ryan most of all) to turn into attack dogs to get rid of whomever the establishment doesn't want. Or at least let the free market of megadonors make that decision.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Obama's (and Hillary's) numbers barely moved throughout 2007. The tide didn't even begin to shift until January of 2008 and he didn't even start to regularly lead in the polls until after his Iowa Caucus win.

The Glumslinger posted:

The DNC's rules should narrow the field significantly going into the next debate. I believe they need a certain number of donors and something like 3% support in at least 3 national polls to qualify. That eliminates like half the field. And as long as there are under 12 candidates, they'll all be on the same stage. As of now I think only 7 or 8 qualify for the next debate and I don't see how some people are gonna hit those polling numbers if they didn't after last week's debates.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 6, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Interesting demographic trivia:
  • As usual, Quinnipiac doesn't reveal any info on the composition of their sample. However, the fact that the only racial demographics listed are "Wht" and "Blk" suggests it's not particularly diverse. Additionally, the "has a college degree" and "doesn't have a college degree" groups are white-only.
  • Only two candidates with over 4% support got a higher proportion of black support than white support. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.
  • Warren's standings are equal to Bernie's among people under age 50. Her lead over him comes exclusively from having won over older voters, being the only candidate besides Biden to get double-digit support from the 50-64 and 65+ age brackets.
  • Sanders has much more support among the poor than among the rich. Buttigieg and Harris have much more support among the rich than among the poor. Biden and Warren's support is pretty much even among income brackets right now.
  • People who watched the debate had a much different impression of it than people who didn't watch it but did follow the news coverage afterward. Interestingly, people who skipped the debates and listened to punditry's takes instead tended to rate Biden much lower and Sanders much higher. And people who didn't pay attention to either the debates or the news coverage had a drastically worse opinion of Warren.
  • For the question "which candidate do you think has the best policy ideas?", Warren was ranked most highly by a whopping 32%, while Sanders and Biden tied for second with about 16% each. The richer demographics were more likely to think Warren had the best ideas, the poorest demographics preferred Bernie's policy ideas, and Biden's policies had about the same level of support from all income brackets.
  • Half of respondents thought that Biden had the best chance of winning against Donald Trump. The candidate perceived as second most electable was Bernie Sanders. Warren was third most electable, while Harris was fourth most electable. Beto was perceived as fifth most electable, while everyone else (including Buttigieg) had 1% or fewer of respondents thinking they were electable. People who watched the debate were more likely to think Biden was electable than people who didn't. :psyduck: If you're wondering why the hell people who watched the debate loved Biden and hated Sanders, hold off on your "I guess the voters were just stupid" takes for just a couple more bullet points.
  • Given a choice between "a candidate who shares your views" and "the candidate who's most electable", most demographics were about evenly split between the two choices, or slightly in favor of "shares your views". However, whites, men, conservatives, older people, people with college degrees, and the rich all went overwhelmingly for "most electable". :thunk: Also, people who watched the debates were far more likely to opt for "more electable".
  • Older, whiter, and more conservative Dems were most likely to watch the debate itself, by a fair margin. Only two groups were more likely to watch the debate than to skip it and follow the news coverage afterwards: people over age 65 and whites who didn't have a college degree. Liberals, whites with college degrees, and Gen Xers mostly didn't watch the debate but did follow the news coverage. Millennials, poor people, black people, and Dem-leaning independents were all more likely to ignore the debates and debate coverage altogether.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mayor Pete is racist trash and everyone supporting him is apparently just ok with that because when I talk about how awful he is on race people just ignore me or shrug

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

kidkissinger posted:

Wouldn't they accelerate towards him after a 360

e: I really wanted to replace the 360 with pete but I don't have the right tools atm

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 6, 2019

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Koalas March posted:

Mayor Pete is racist trash and everyone supporting him is apparently just ok with that because when I talk about how awful he is on race people just ignore me or shrug

I don't think this is a fair characterization, and I hold you in the highest respect.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Literally no one supports Pete besides Mr. "pete good" over there

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I hate to see Bernie and Warren collectively being several points ahead of Biden, yet individually in second and third place. One of them is going to have to eventually drop out in order to coalesce support, and the sooner the better.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Uglycat posted:

I don't think this is a fair characterization, and I hold you in the highest respect.

Please convince me otherwise. What has he done for the black folks in his community? For police brutality? Red lining?

Because telling a community who is pain and asking for your help "I'm not asking for your vote" is really hosed up

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

I post other places than just SA!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

OctaMurk posted:

... who happens to have grown up in South Bend's 2nd District, and lived there through much of Pete's mayoral terms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Koalas March posted:

all the former republicans that hate trump on my facebook timeline are mayor pete guys now.