Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

... who happens to have grown up in South Bend's 2nd District, and lived there through much of Pete's mayoral terms...

Yeah, that's not an argument and it's not going anywhere. Mind giving us something besides your personal feelings and a list of your personal connections, accomplishments, and affiliations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1158587163375755266

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Mayor Pete is racist trash and everyone supporting him is apparently just ok with that because when I talk about how awful he is on race people just ignore me or shrug

Yea rich people tend to have real bad opinions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Koalas March posted:

I post other places than just SA!

Traitor scum

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

15 billionaires donating to a guy that has a less than zero percent chance of winning the primary lol

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Pete simply has not been given the space to move left on race issues

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mayor Pete is the real victim here, having been redlined out of the good opinion zone.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

We have to elect the entire city of South Bend to the Presidency so that good ol' Pete can have the space to move left.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mayor Pete, like a viscous liquid, always fills in any available space. We can only blame the citizens of South Bend for failing to create that space

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

15 billionaires donating to a guy that has a less than zero percent chance of winning the primary lol

They spent $130m on ¡Jeb! for absolutely no return lol. Have to assume there's some money laundering or something going on, but mostly yeah they are that stupid and that rich

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

68% total?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mayor Pete is
- troop
- gay
- went to school

Isn't that enough checked boxes for you? What more do you want, you vultures? Is nothing good enough? Is there even any way to make you entitled nobodies happy? Why can't you listen to billionaires and their experiences?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:shrug:

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-ELECTION-POLL/0100B05G09P/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN1UW0Z9

quote:

The Aug. 1-5 public opinion poll, released on Tuesday, showed that 22% of Democrats and independents would vote for Biden, a level that is unchanged from a similar poll that ran last month. Another 18% said they supported Sanders, up 2 percentage points from the July poll.

None of 23 other candidates received more than 9% in the poll.

Biden and Sanders offer Democrats sharply contrasting views on how to govern. Sanders leads the effort to expand government-run healthcare for all Americans while Biden offers a more moderate approach that would allow people to keep their existing healthcare plans.

Yet the choice for Democrats may have less to do with ideology and more to do with who is best suited to beat Trump in the November 2020 general election.

According to the poll, 36% of Democrats say they are simply looking for someone who can win. Only 11% say the most important quality is someone with a strong healthcare plan, and 5% say it is most important to pick a strong voice on the environment.

Biden and Sanders are currently viewed as the safest bets for beating Trump among all Democrats. Both improved their standing among minorities over the past month as Trump repeatedly vilified minority lawmakers in a series of tweets and public comments that infuriated Democrats and many others.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Seth Rich debate is weird and pointless because both sides are right.

If you think Seth Rich truthers are stupid, you're right, Hillary obviously didn't murder him and perfectly cover her tracks, her dysfunctional campaign couldn't even cover up her Wall Street speeches. And yet, the Seth Rich truthers are also right because the feeling underlying their belief, that Hillary would absolutely no-question not have any compunctions against murdering someone if necessary to grab at political power is 100% correct, she just didn't do it to this particular guy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The other 32% went to JEB!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Koalas March posted:

Please convince me otherwise. What has he done for the black folks in his community? For police brutality? Red lining?

Because telling a community who is pain and asking for your help "I'm not asking for your vote" is really hosed up

Yeah, he hosed up that exchange for sure. Looked bad, looked like he somehow didn't anticipate BLM interrupting him. Bernie handled it much better (at least, the second time it happened to him).

I spent time in Flint in 2017. Gentrification is a real story there. The homeowners that couldn't leave after the lead poisoned their children and their property values plummeted were saddled with bills of $600 a month for water that they could only use to flush their toilets. If they fell into arrears, a private-public partnership known as the 'Land Trust' would take ownership of their property and evict them. In South Bend, Mayor Lueke (yes, pronounced 'lick-y', lol) signed the EPA's consent decree regarding the Combined Sewer Overflow problem just before handing the reigns over to Pete. This consent decree mandated from the city the spending of half a billion (with a B!) dollars over the course of 20 years. The problem is this: the pretty-good sewer system in South Bend would never dump untreated human feces into the St. Joseph river while in normal operation, but on frequent occasions the city would receive a large amount of rainfall, or the winter's snow would all melt at once, and the sewers would overflow - pouring raw poo poo into the St. Joseph River (which flows into Lake Michigan, then out the St. Lawrence). This consent decree would bring homeowner costs so high that gentrification and displacement of vulnerable people would be inevitable. Pete hired some robotics people to put in remote-controlled valves around the city's sewers, and when a CSO event was anticipated, they'd draw all the untreated sewage well away from the city. His intention was to design a plan more effective than what the EPA proposed (in terms of feces in water), and much cheaper than what the EPA demanded (what's been labeled as pete's 'Smart Sewers' program). His 1000-homes-in-1000 days program did not lead to displacement of minorities. The article you've likely had fed to you is a South Bend Tribune article interviewing a friend of mine, Regina Williams-Preston, about the impact of that program on black people of South Bend. I drove through South Bend this week, and I attended the 24-hour BLM rally in front of the county-city building. I spoke with Regina, here's some footage I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMFZB5xL7E ; I would not presume to speak for her.

I attended rallies in south bend for #HandsUpDontShoot, for #Icantbreathe, I attended the million hoodie march. The SBPD (acab!) was gentle and hands-off. Black voices are heard, not silenced, in our community. Pete is not wildly unpopular, as is reported in the press and promoted on social media (by various forces). The west side of South Bend was for Bernie in 2015, and they're for Bernie today - which mutes any expression of support. The BLM rally this weekend was an excellent event, with teach-ins and food not bombs serving food donated by the Linden Grill, the Catholic Worker, and other supportive organizations. But the rally was not well attended. Most of the black activists I know avoided it, because they didn't want to create the illusion that there is strong resistance to Pete coming from South Bend.

If you'll allow me to, I can put you in touch with myriad prominent, informed black voices in my hometown. Professors of gender studies, people working for the local democratic party, people on city council, rappers, musicians, visual artists, poets, activists and more. It would be inappropriate for me to speak on their behalf. They're personal friends. The media has misrepresented their viewpoints, making them out to be simple 'we hate pete because he runs a racist institution' when in fact they are (of course!) geniuses with a much more sophisticated take on all of it. And there is not some grand animus against him.

I should shed a little light; the 2nd district, before electing Regina, elected Henry Davis Jr. (also a friend, I caught up with him for a moment when I was back in town this weekend as well). Davis was elected to the west side with the support of local black churches whose pastors marched with MLK, and who preach against homosexuality. The city council was fighting to add sexual orientation to the set of classes protected from discrimination, and HDjr was elected to oppose that progress on behalf of the conservative (is that the right word in this context?) black community. Henry's come a long way since, but he did at one point post a photo of a man loving a dog on his fb page, which kinda torpedoed his political clout.

The thousand-homes project, which spanned Pete's first term, was not a standard gentrifying tactic - and, it should be added, the city didn't really gentrify (though downtown is starting to feel like a real city, in terms of population, and prices for goods and housing are going up in the downtown area). 1000 homes were identified as 'vacant and abandoned' - nobody lived there. Efforts were made to track down the owners of these structures. Signs were posted outside each one, asking any stakeholder with an interest in the fate of the plot to text a certain number. Community members were able to grab up the derelict properties in their area, and properties that were too far gone were bulldozed - and, again, people in the area were able to obtain the vacant lots. The city committed a lot of resources - cost free to residents - for beautification. They would bring in dumptrucks full of wood chips for free, with just a phone call. He redid the streets on Lincolnway and Western, the Black and Latino communities (respectively) - using evidence-based best practices, as one part of his larger 'Smart Streets' program. The results are appreciated by the people living there.

South Bend is a brilliant, progressive community. When we've created room for Pete to move left, he's moved left. When we've raised our voices to air our grievances, he's allowed us to be heard, rather than shouting us down.

I mean, how much granularity do you want in reply? I'm familiar with all the players in South Bend politics for the length of Pete's term. I was occupying Hunt Plaza downtown when he was elected.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I guess nobody made room for him to fire the racist rear end cops in his police department. if only the South bend activists had given him that space!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Let's examine the Chief Boykins incident, the other issue that's used against him. Boykins, a black man from the local community, was appointed to head up the police department. When he took over, it was his prerogative to change the city's wiretaps. He made no changes.
An existing wiretap existed, listening to outgoing calls from the SBPD. This is considered highly illegal, in a federal sense.
Early in Pete's first term, a recording was made of an outgoing call from one white SBPD officer to another, and the contents of the recording (that has never been made public) resemble the recent tape between Reagan and Nixon - calling Boykins a 'monkey', and using language akin to shouting the n-word. Worth noting is that police as an institution is inherently racist, and the Klan took measures over the last 50 years to infiltrate every police department - especially in Indiana, a Klan stronghold. Karen DePape, the communications director for SBPD, mailed that tape off to the FBI. The FBI, rather than investigate racism in the department, freaked out about the wiretap, told Pete he *had* to fire Boykins, Depape, and that if they ever find out he ever heard or had possession of the tape they'd come after him too.

Obviously, the black community found this outcome unsatisfying. We want to hear the tape, and we want heads to roll. Me, I want the police department disbanded entirely.

In the 24 hours I was in front of the courthouse, I saw all of two squad cars drive by.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Uglycat posted:

Obviously, the black community found this outcome unsatisfying. We want

Ohhh.... nah. no

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Calibanibal posted:

Ohhh.... nah. no

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest I speak for the Black population of South Bend. Far from it; I would like their voices amplified, and for the press to be reporting how THEY feel, in THEIR words (rather than making it up and pretending to know). Apologies.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lol when she addresses Pete's primary run she says Inslee is better on race than Pete is. That fuckin rules. @13:45ish

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

And then when she talks about Pete's 'Douglass Plan' she calls out how he never bothered to implement any element of it in South Bend as mayor

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Koalas March posted:

I post other places than just SA!

Why? We're the most f-ed up online "family" you could ever ask for!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Calibanibal posted:

Lol when she addresses Pete's primary run she says Inslee is better on race than Pete is. That fuckin rules. @13:45ish

The people at the BLM rally downtown seemed to like his 'Douglass Plan.'

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Uglycat posted:

Let's examine the Chief Boykins incident, the other issue that's used against him. Boykins, a black man from the local community, was appointed to head up the police department. When he took over, it was his prerogative to change the city's wiretaps. He made no changes.
An existing wiretap existed, listening to outgoing calls from the SBPD. This is considered highly illegal, in a federal sense.
Early in Pete's first term, a recording was made of an outgoing call from one white SBPD officer to another, and the contents of the recording (that has never been made public) resemble the recent tape between Reagan and Nixon - calling Boykins a 'monkey', and using language akin to shouting the n-word. Worth noting is that police as an institution is inherently racist, and the Klan took measures over the last 50 years to infiltrate every police department - especially in Indiana, a Klan stronghold. Karen DePape, the communications director for SBPD, mailed that tape off to the FBI. The FBI, rather than investigate racism in the department, freaked out about the wiretap, told Pete he *had* to fire Boykins, Depape, and that if they ever find out he ever heard or had possession of the tape they'd come after him too.
Cool story time, after Buttigieg learned his police were explicitly, openly racist what did he do to solve that problem?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Uglycat posted:

Obviously, the black community found this outcome unsatisfying. We want to hear the tape, and we want heads to roll. Me, I want the police department disbanded entirely.

In the 24 hours I was in front of the courthouse, I saw all of two squad cars drive by.

Good to know that when the FBI cleared space for him to move right he was flexible and pragmatic enough to do so.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I guess he will be a good President as long as the institutional forces acting on the Presidency are creating more spaces to his left than his right, which seems like a safe thing to bank on.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

Good to know that when the FBI cleared space for him to move right he was flexible and pragmatic enough to do so.

Fair.

So I've decided the tactical and right thing to do right now, given the state of the Dem Primary and the General, is to create as much space as possible for Pete to move left.

It'd be a lot harder if I had to pretend; everything I'm saying is in earnest. And you can say I'm damning him with feint praise; either way, I know that the people of this forum will have a /more informed/ position on him, and given the state of things, that also seems like nudging the future away from fascism and climate catastrophe.

I should say, he's bold enough to re-structure entire departments using crowdsourced decision making to decide metrics to watch while favoring (open-source) big-data informed evidence-based best practices.

Which is what we need, and something I don't see out of any of the other candidates but Bernie. And Pete would do it more competently than Bernie. And we'd be marginally less rat-hosed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
New Poll Released: Peepee Poopoo Toopoo

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Uglycat posted:

he's bold enough to re-structure entire departments using crowdsourced decision making to decide metrics to watch while favoring (open-source) big-data informed evidence-based best practices.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Chart excludes poll respondents who selected “Other” or “I can’t/won’t vote in the Democratic primary”.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Uglycat posted:

I should say, he's bold enough to re-structure entire departments using crowdsourced decision making to decide metrics to watch while favoring (open-source) big-data informed evidence-based best practices.
Sounds like Buttigieg is about to develop a bad case of bone-itis.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It takes a special kind of "anarchist" to think that a cop loving soldier who worked at loving McKinsey would be more "competent" than a people power style social democrat.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

It takes a special kind of "anarchist" to think that a cop loving soldier who worked at loving McKinsey would be more "competent" than a people power style social democrat.

An interesting way to come at me. Fair.

ACAB and gently caress McKinsey. Still, look at the field of candidates.

e - you (and an army of sockpuppets) would have a hard time turning Antifa and the Indigenous movements against me, though. Personal friends with many effective, influential, legit radical players. I fully expect a thorough and public character assassination for the position I'm publicly staking here.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 6, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Helsing posted:

Don't forget having respect for someone's resume, and being impressed by re-structuring entire departments using crowdsourced decision making to decide metrics while favoring open-source, big-data informed, evidence-based best practices.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uglycat posted:

Fair.

So I've decided the tactical and right thing to do right now, given the state of the Dem Primary and the General, is to create as much space as possible for Pete to move left.

It'd be a lot harder if I had to pretend; everything I'm saying is in earnest. And you can say I'm damning him with feint praise; either way, I know that the people of this forum will have a /more informed/ position on him, and given the state of things, that also seems like nudging the future away from fascism and climate catastrophe.

Which is what we need, and something I don't see out of any of the other candidates but Bernie. And Pete would do it more competently than Bernie. And we'd be marginally less rat-hosed.

And the rest of us see how Pete has abused data collection and secrecy to hide the disparate impacts of his choices and know that we can’t trust him to ever buzzword away anything, let alone do it better than Bernie.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uglycat posted:

That, uh...kind of strikes me as more of an anarcho-libertarian prescription than anything remotely socialist.:stare:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Majorian posted:

That, uh...kind of strikes me as more of an anarcho-libertarian prescription than anything remotely socialist.:stare:

I was one of the architects of the political wing of Anonymous. It was an alliance of anarcho-capitalists and anarcho-socialists fighting a cult, and I got the two to mix by framing it as 'Voluntarism.' A decade hence, I've watched a lot of the anarcho-capitalists go hard white nationalist. Weev was part of #Marblecake. They love-bombed Chelsea when she got out.

I'm an anarchist. I don't believe in any (capital-L) Legitimate (capital-G) Government, such that I have any moral duty to obey. I stick to non-hierarchical structures, favoring the General Assembly method over Robert's Rules, and operate by consensus (which was my hacker name) except when in an indigenous led resistance camp (a frequent occurrence).

I'm antifa, which is an anarchist-socialist alliance, but I'm anarchist.

I was libertarian for a long time. Ambrose Bierce's definition of 'Land', in 'The Devil's Dictionary', and meeting a shitton more actual humans across a wide and diverse spread, rid me of that horrible, racist belief system.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anarchists for Big Data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uglycat posted:

I was one of the architects of the political wing of Anonymous. It was an alliance of anarcho-capitalists and anarcho-socialists fighting a cult, and I got the two to mix by framing it as 'Voluntarism.' A decade hence, I've watched a lot of the anarcho-capitalists go hard white nationalist. Weev was part of #Marblecake. They love-bombed Chelsea when she got out.

I'm an anarchist. I don't believe in any (capital-L) Legitimate (capital-G) Government, such that I have any moral duty to obey. I stick to non-hierarchical structures, favoring the General Assembly method over Robert's Rules, and operate by consensus (which was my hacker name) except when in an indigenous led resistance camp (a frequent occurrence).

I'm antifa, which is an anarchist-socialist alliance, but I'm anarchist.

I was libertarian for a long time. Ambrose Bierce's definition of 'Land', in 'The Devil's Dictionary', and meeting a shitton more actual humans across a wide and diverse spread, rid me of that horrible, racist belief system.

Right, but what you described in the snippet I quoted was about as "market place of ideas"-y as it gets. You can say you're an anarcho-leftist all you want, but when you advocate poo poo like this, you sound an awful lot like, well, just a libertarian.