Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VanSandman posted:

I'd love to read about the fall of Final Fantasy as a series, from what was once a 'must-buy' for Playstation owners to a niche, at best, product. Anyone know of a good writeup?

First couple results for "fall of final fantasy" seem to be what you're looking for:
https://www.alteredgamer.com/final-fantasy/123269-ff-the-demise-of-the-series/
https://medium.com/@felfortes/final-fantasy-viii-and-the-beginning-of-squares-fall-f4aa6b402048
https://www.wired.com/2013/08/final-fantasy-is-still-dead/
https://leviathyn.com/2014/03/06/fall-final-fantasy-part-decline-square-enix-flagship-franchise/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

this is an insane amount of words about how serious you think the world and plot of a game where a valkyrie fights a ghost pirate for a magic sword are

Man, I'd kill for a Cervantes skin that's the ghost pirate captain from Venture Bros.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

VanSandman posted:

I'd love to read about the fall of Final Fantasy as a series, from what was once a 'must-buy' for Playstation owners to a niche, at best, product. Anyone know of a good writeup?

The niche FFXV that recouped its production costs on Day 1 and the fall of FFXIV, the only MMORPG left still worth playing :rolleyes:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

this is an insane amount of words about how serious you think the world and plot of a game where a valkyrie fights a ghost pirate for a magic sword are

It's funny, I actually always thought that SC side-stepped the whole issue of "how do you effectively tell a story in a punchmans game?" pretty neatly by just not having much of one. Granted, I've only played parts 4 and 6, but for the most part the story seemed minimal in those. Each character just gets a couple of largely self-contained fights connected by a text box or two, and that's that. Which tends to work much better than the likes of Street Fighter, which wants to have its big dramatic important story despite being, you know, Street Fighter.

Anyway, the only fighting game series that does story right is Mortal Kombat. :colbert:

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Aug 5, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

And then there's the time Akuma guest-starred in Tekken and fit in there better than half the Tekken cast. Also better than he ever fit in with Street Fighter.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

this is an insane amount of words about how serious you think the world and plot of a game where a Greek chick kicks a bunch of people in the nuts

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Soul Calibur. “Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.”

Ratoslov posted:

And then there's the time Akuma guest-starred in Tekken and fit in there better than half the Tekken cast. Also better than he ever fit in with Street Fighter.

I also liked Geese Howard’s appearance. But yeah, Tekken has a bunch of weirdos. There was a trailer a couple days ago that introduced a new character: a lady who moved gracefully while kicking rear end. Then all of a sudden: moves where she is possessed by her demon arm.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEwXWH4PbA

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Cleretic posted:

I don't think Namco actually know how to pick guest characters for their fighting games, nor have they ever known. And that really hurts Soul Calibur.

Something that I think always let Soul Calibur stand out from the rest of the bigger fighting game franchises, especially back in The Day, was that it's got some dignity and self-seriousness to it. It's trying to have a strong setting and story going on (part of why it had so many good single-player modes over the years), and it manages to have that without any really dumb poo poo you have to acknowledge that other fighting games have (you can't take Street Fighter very seriously for example, because it's always a world with Blanka in it). But that falls apart almost every time they've added guest characters, because they almost all make a huge mess of an otherwise pretty logically and thematically consistent world.

It's not often easy to get a guest character that 100% matches the world of Soul Calibur, because it is kinda singular, which is why the few times they've done it genuinely feel like reasons to applaud: Ezio fit perfectly into Soul Calibur 5, and they just announced Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown as DLC for 6. But beyond those two it starts becoming clear that they never really ask 'does this character fit into our game's world', they just do it. If you're lucky that gets you someone who's a little weird, and it's a bit of a stretch to get them there, but at least sorta fits the vibe; Geralt in 6, Heihachi in 2, Spawn if you'll forgive the out-of-place aesthetics. But then, even beyond that, you've got characters that make zero sense and don't fit at all into the setting: 4's Star Wars characters are the most obvious, but 2B in 6 is right there with them, and personally I think stretches believability just a little too far with both the 'other dimensions exist apparently' and his hyperspace arsenal moveset combined. Apparently Heihachi was added into 2 after a deal for Cloud Strife fell through, he would've landed square in the 'irreconcilable' list too.

Namco clearly don't really care about getting characters that fit, or else we'd have more than only two that do. Tekken's got a lot of these problems going on as well, but Tekken's always been intentionally pretty laughable; you can complain all you want that Negan or Noctis don't really make sense, but this is a series that has several characters who are just bears, so it was never a place for serious discussion. Soul Calibur really tries to be taken largely seriously, though, only to have Darth Vader dropped into its lap to ruin that. I actually like a lot of those weirder guest characters--I bought 2 back when I was a kid because of Link, and I bought 6 now because of 2B. But they really aren't helping the game in any way but sales.

EDIT: I checked, I talked about mostly the same thing before, but it's still a problem god damnit!

The worst part of this is I didn't know much about the series and got SCII for my xbox, and that was the main copy my friends and I would play for years. I mained and got really good at Spawn, and then he never appeared in the series again. Can't they just reskin the model and give me the same fighting style back?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Street Fighter was best when it was national stereotypes and Hakan was therefore the best new character in decades.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Playing through Dark Souls for the first time. Was having a lot of fun, even in a sewer level, until I hit blight town. I'm not even very far into it, but the heights, poison dmg, and rickety setup are not very fun to fight on or through. I'm having trouble even wanting to play at this point, but I've had so much fun getting this far...

I'm also playing through BoTW, but I've shelved it for a few months now for two compounding reasons. The first is I got the DLC and activated Master Mode, which overall was really fun. In Master Mode, most enemies and bosses are powered up by one level, can detect Link's approach easier and regain health over time; however, there is a limit to their health recovery. Stronger, golden versions of enemies are also introduced. There is ordinarily a mechanism preventing Link from getting killed in one hit by powerful attacks, leaving him alive with a quarter Heart instead. This protection is not present in Master Mode. This is all well and good in the world, and makes the early game quite the scramble to stay alive and armed.

The reason I shelved it is I'm about halfway through the game and came upon another DLC area, The Trial of the Sword. After you get the Master Sword, there is a DLC enemy gauntlet you can fight compromised of something like 50 rooms in a row of combat, and the prize is it doubles the power of the Master Sword and its recovery downtime is severely shortened. They strip you naked before you go in, so your ability to deal damage and recover health is severely limited. With the Master Mode, it's just a little too much for me. If you're not efficient and clever at killing enemies with every environmental damage effect you can find, I find myself getting a ways into this gauntlet and eventually have no weapons or healing and get soft-locked because I can't defeat the enemies regenerating health with my zero resources. It's the first Zelda I've ever played where the combat genuinely has bested me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The niche FFXV that recouped its production costs on Day 1 and the fall of FFXIV, the only MMORPG left still worth playing :rolleyes:

Seriously. I know people like to rag on XIII and XV, but the series is far from dead. XIII-2 has sold something like 10 million copies. Lightning Returns didn't sell a whole bunch, but it met sale expectations Square set for it. XIV has somewhere around 16 million subscribers. XV has sold over 8 million copies. World of Final Fantasy has sold well, for being a spin off. Also a spin off, Brave Exvius has been downloaded almost 40 million times worldwide. Etc. etc.

Those numbers are insane for a JRPG, especially the sequel and spin off numbers. Final Fantasy is doing just fine.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Final Fantasy XV was also the last vestiges of the whole Fabula Nova Crystalis production that SE started, remember when it was called Final Fantasy verses 13? It's a drat miracle anything came out of that nightmare let alone 4 games.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Playing through Dark Souls for the first time. Was having a lot of fun, even in a sewer level, until I hit blight town. I'm not even very far into it, but the heights, poison dmg, and rickety setup are not very fun to fight on or through. I'm having trouble even wanting to play at this point, but I've had so much fun getting this far...

Blight town is the poo poo bit that everyone hates. I haven't played it in years but I remember having a Spider Shield or something that blocks incoming Toxic damage (which is different from Poison damage) from the blow dart guys. Also once you kill the blow dart guys they don't respawn. Not sure if any of that has been updated since but I hope it helps. After that I think you just have to get down to ground level and rush the boss cave, come back and mop up later when you're OP. Blight town's a slog but is followed by some of the much cooler (potentially punishingly difficult, insanity inducing) areas in the game so it's worth punching through.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mierenneuker posted:

Soul Calibur. “Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.”

I also liked Geese Howard’s appearance. But yeah, Tekken has a bunch of weirdos. There was a trailer a couple days ago that introduced a new character: a lady who moved gracefully while kicking rear end. Then all of a sudden: moves where she is possessed by her demon arm.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEwXWH4PbA

Why didn't they get the OG Velvet instead of making a new one :(

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

Blight town is the poo poo bit that everyone hates. I haven't played it in years but I remember having a Spider Shield or something that blocks incoming Toxic damage (which is different from Poison damage) from the blow dart guys. Also once you kill the blow dart guys they don't respawn. Not sure if any of that has been updated since but I hope it helps. After that I think you just have to get down to ground level and rush the boss cave, come back and mop up later when you're OP. Blight town's a slog but is followed by some of the much cooler (potentially punishingly difficult, insanity inducing) areas in the game so it's worth punching through.

... At least until you hit the dragon butt central and clearly hastily put together demo area which serves as a level leading to the least fun boss fight in the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bloodcider posted:

Blighttown is extra good because on a first playthrough when you don't know how durability works it's entirely possible that your only upgraded weapon will break down there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Seriously. I know people like to rag on XIII and XV, but the series is far from dead. XIII-2 has sold something like 10 million copies. Lightning Returns didn't sell a whole bunch, but it met sale expectations Square set for it. XIV has somewhere around 16 million subscribers. XV has sold over 8 million copies. World of Final Fantasy has sold well, for being a spin off. Also a spin off, Brave Exvius has been downloaded almost 40 million times worldwide. Etc. etc.

Those numbers are insane for a JRPG, especially the sequel and spin off numbers. Final Fantasy is doing just fine.

Is 16 million the total amount of subscribers they've ever had or something? I have a lot of trouble believing that XIV has more subscribers now than WoW did at its peak.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Moon Monster posted:

Is 16 million the total amount of subscribers they've ever had or something? I have a lot of trouble believing that XIV has more subscribers now than WoW did at its peak.

"registered players"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ilmucche posted:

Blighttown is extra good because on a first playthrough when you don't know how durability works it's entirely possible that your only upgraded weapon will break down there.

Your weapons can break in DS1?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus Christ I literally quit Spider-Man back to the main menu and when I loaded it out me back at the drone countdown. I don't want to drone race. It's bad and dumb

Edit: yes I see abandon challenge in the pause menu but I was so incredibly over it yesterday I wanted to quit the game entirely

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Your weapons can break in DS1?

They have a durability score that is very apparent on the inventory screen, and a tiny ways into the game you acquire the ability to repair your arms and armor at any bonfire for a paltry fee. Also there is a large blacksmith NPC who is constantly banging his hammer, pretty hard to miss. So it could happen, I guess.

My friend played bloodbourne completely totally blind the whole way through, and never found the weapon bench in the homebase. It's non-descript and just looks like a generic static bench against a wall, so he beat the entire game with a broken un-upgraded weapon because he's both very, very good at videogames and it was his fourth soulsbourne.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olaf The Stout posted:

They have a durability score that is very apparent on the inventory screen, and a tiny ways into the game you acquire the ability to repair your arms and armor at any bonfire for a paltry fee. Also there is a large blacksmith NPC who is constantly banging his hammer, pretty hard to miss. So it could happen, I guess.

My friend played bloodbourne completely totally blind the whole way through, and never found the weapon bench in the homebase. It's non-descript and just looks like a generic static bench against a wall, so he beat the entire game with a broken un-upgraded weapon because he's both very, very good at videogames and it was his fourth soulsbourne.

Geez...you'd think he'd at least google "bloodborne how the gently caress do i repair weapons"

Impressive, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Samurai Showdown dude is a bad pick for Soul Calibur because the game already has Mitsurugi, a samurai dude with a big ponytail.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In FF14 Shadowbringers, SE seemed to be so eager to make its bosses HUEG that they didn't stop to think if they should. In some cases if you ever target another party member for something and try to tab target back, even though the boss is in full view of you you wont target him. The final boss of the last story dungeon of Shadowbringers is a great example of this, I have to zoom fully out and like drag my camera to look up towards the boss to get tab to work, or click on the emnity list. In the worst cases though it can result in not loving seeing mechanics over the gigantic boss. Twinning's final boss has this mechanic where there will be lasers that are paused mid fire, then they resume after some time to the other side of the arena. If you're say the tank, and there is one right across the arena from you ,you wont see it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Samurai Showdown dude is a bad pick for Soul Calibur because the game already has Mitsurugi, a samurai dude with a big ponytail.

Not having any familiarity with Samurai Shodown, when I first saw Haohmaru in the marketing for the new one I thought it was Mitsurugi doing a guest role in SS.

SS in general would be a good fit for Soul Calibur but like any other character would make more sense.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Geez...you'd think he'd at least google "bloodborne how the gently caress do i repair weapons"

Impressive, though.

Dark souls means more to him than his religion, and he has no hobbies besides videogames. He takes a week off work for every Fromsoft game launch and beats them all the first time without ever googleing anything, and then looks up stuff to platinum them. He's also one of those guys who doesn't read much in-game and plays a lot of games without ever learning all their systems and mechanics, but his pure footwork, timing, and fundamentals are so good he beats them easily anyway.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'm also playing through BoTW, but I've shelved it for a few months now for two compounding reasons. The first is I got the DLC and activated Master Mode, which overall was really fun. In Master Mode, most enemies and bosses are powered up by one level, can detect Link's approach easier and regain health over time; however, there is a limit to their health recovery. Stronger, golden versions of enemies are also introduced. There is ordinarily a mechanism preventing Link from getting killed in one hit by powerful attacks, leaving him alive with a quarter Heart instead. This protection is not present in Master Mode. This is all well and good in the world, and makes the early game quite the scramble to stay alive and armed.

The reason I shelved it is I'm about halfway through the game and came upon another DLC area, The Trial of the Sword. After you get the Master Sword, there is a DLC enemy gauntlet you can fight compromised of something like 50 rooms in a row of combat, and the prize is it doubles the power of the Master Sword and its recovery downtime is severely shortened. They strip you naked before you go in, so your ability to deal damage and recover health is severely limited. With the Master Mode, it's just a little too much for me. If you're not efficient and clever at killing enemies with every environmental damage effect you can find, I find myself getting a ways into this gauntlet and eventually have no weapons or healing and get soft-locked because I can't defeat the enemies regenerating health with my zero resources. It's the first Zelda I've ever played where the combat genuinely has bested me.

I had the exact same problem. I've never played a Zelda game that was anything other than incredibly easy before so a hard mode seemed a no-brainer choice. Especially since I usually like to try and find all the heartpieces/etc which makes most of the latter half of most Zeldas an utter cakewalk. But while most of the game with Master Mode was fine the Master Mode gauntlet is just absurd and even though it's completely optional killed my enthusiasm for the game completely.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing on master mode now and enjoying it (though the health regen is lazy and kicks in far too quickly) but I'm not looking forward to the Trial and it feels kind of stupid that it was part of the same DLC as master mode

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Cleretic posted:

Namco clearly don't really care about getting characters that fit, or else we'd have more than only two that do. Tekken's got a lot of these problems going on as well, but Tekken's always been intentionally pretty laughable; you can complain all you want that Negan or Noctis don't really make sense, but this is a series that has several characters who are just bears, so it was never a place for serious discussion.
Tekken's got its own issues, with a bunch of characters relegated to the Tag games for no reason. Why doesn't Angel get to be a mainline Tekken character? Sure she's got wings and shoots lasers out of her eyes, but so does loving Devil Jin and he's apparently just fine.

Mierenneuker posted:

Zafina's not new, she's from Tekken 6. She didn't have a demon arm then, but I'm pretty sure the demon arm belongs to the final boss of that game (that loving bullshit crystal dinosaur man Azazel, who belongs in this thread several times over :argh:).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

Tekken's got its own issues, with a bunch of characters relegated to the Tag games for no reason. Why doesn't Angel get to be a mainline Tekken character? Sure she's got wings and shoots lasers out of her eyes, but so does loving Devil Jin and he's apparently just fine.

Isn't Angel just the good aspect of Kazuya? She doesn't really have a personality, apart from "Good Kazuya" or a distinctive fighting style that's not just more mishima karate. At least Devil Jin and Jin Kazama are kinda distinct. Ogre would have a much stronger reason for inclusion if we want to promote characters from Tag.

U.T. Raptor posted:

(that loving bullshit crystal dinosaur man Azazel, who belongs in this thread several times over ).

100% this though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I platinumed Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night over the weekend, and I wondered why I did it, despite having so many misgivings about them (SOTN in particular). And I came to the conclusion that, in my opinion, SOTN is a good game, but it's a bad metroidvania title, if that makes sense.

I realized that, once I got over all the trappings of a metroidvania, namely having to hunt down all the abilities that make exploration fun, I enjoyed the game a lot more. But before that happens, there are a lot of issues that make the game a pain in the rear end to play:

1) There's no pomp and circumstance to the power ups you get. A game-changing powerup is given as much weight as one that lets you see the damage you're doing to enemies - often they're just tucked in a corner somewhere, sometimes after you beat a boss, sometimes not. Sometimes if you beat the boss then go the wrong way, you'll simply miss it. In the latter half of the game, this seems to get better somewhat, as if they were learning as they designed content, but I never really felt like I earned a new ability, more like I just stumbled across it.

2) There's absolutely no rhyme or reason as to where you're supposed to go. When you start the game you're given the vague goal of killing Dracula. Makes sense. Where is he? Who knows. You're forced to randomly wander around aimlessly, eventually finding Belmont, being confused as to his motives, then resume wandering. A couple item descriptions point you in the right direction of the second half of the game, but there's no reason as to why you need to follow their instructions or why the person you meet in that location is even there. She just...is. So half the game is just wandering randomly, wondering where you can go, and once you get a new ability you have to scour the entire castle just to find a place where you can use it to advance.

3) Finding where you can use your new power up is a pain in the rear end. This is a weird one, but, in SOTN, just because you find an space that requires an ability to get by it doesn't mean you'll get anything for it until you find more abilities. Find an ability that lets you jump over long pits, next to a big pit? Awesome! But this long pit has nothing beyond it, and the time you've wasted travelling there (because you remembered, oh hey, there's a pit there that now I can jump over) is for naught. At one point there's a path full of spikes that you can fly through with the bat upgrade. But as you do, you realize that there's a grating there that you need the mist upgrade for. So you leave, get the mist upgrade, and return, but then you find out that, no, you also need an armor piece that lets you break spikes. This armor, incidentally, completely negates the need for the bat upgrade in this area. So why make it look like you could pass through with the bat form? Why not just make it clear that what you needed was the spike armor? This frustrated me to no end while playing.

4) There simply are not enough teleporters in the game, and getting to particular areas can be a real annoyance, especially given that you waste time going back and forth due to point (3) above.

Once I left the 'metroidvania' portion of the game, that is, once I had all my abilities and didn't need to be worried about being gated out of areas and having to return with something, the game became way more fun. I could treat the game more like an open world game that was open to me to find all the bosses in to kill, get the good equipment, find the secrets, etc. But before that, ugh.

Replaying it as Richter actually had the same sort of feeling - an entire castle (almost) was open to me to run around in and just cut down enemies.

Edit: Oh wait some of the secrets were really bad, like, no-indication-whatsover-they-exist bad. I'm not even talking about destructible ceilings and floors, which are bad enough because they're impossible to know about, unlike walls. I'm talking about the room in the entrance of the castle that a) requires you to destroy a hole in boulder in the middle of the room, b) go through the boulder left to right while transformed as a bat, then c) go through the border right to left while a wolf, and then d) realize that a new path has opened up that had no indication of existing whatsoever. Also I'm pretty sure there isn't even, like, a sound cue or anything, but I was playing with my sound turned down at the time.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Aug 6, 2019

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Samuringa posted:

Money is fine but the brand is very much riding the coat tails of its former success. Around 6-7, the brand Final Fantasy became something to expect big things from, and since then the reputation it has devolved into a long a wet fart. I think people keep buying the games and wanting them to be better than they are.

You used to expect to get a strong story with an interesting twist on turn based combat and character development. I don't believe 12, 13, or 15 came even close to delivering on that. 11 and 14 being MMOs is another strange animal, and until the major overhaul 14 was a total dumpster fire.

They may be doing fine financially, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest it's as good as ever because of it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Just about every FF game starting with VIII has been "the downfall of FF". I was just starting high school when VIII dropped. I remember it well. And I remember the hate each title got following that. VIII was the downfall for the janky story, the poorly done love story, the junction system. IX was the downfall because it went back to the roots, for the AP system, for the slow rear end battles. X was the downfall because Tidus, Sphere Grid, laughing scene. Etc.

People act like "FF IS OVER" is some new thing. This poo poo has been going on since the late 90s, and yet here the series still is, still going strong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Every final fantasy except the one you like is the worst and the fall of FF.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Just about every FF game starting with VIII has been "the downfall of FF". I was just starting high school when VIII dropped. I remember it well. And I remember the hate each title got following that. VIII was the downfall for the janky story, the poorly done love story, the junction system. IX was the downfall because it went back to the roots, for the AP system, for the slow rear end battles. X was the downfall because Tidus, Sphere Grid, laughing scene. Etc.

People act like "FF IS OVER" is some new thing. This poo poo has been going on since the late 90s, and yet here the series still is, still going strong.

I think you're describing negatively received traits of the individual titles, which are fair, but those don't necessarily remark on the series. I know plenty of people that loved and love the crap out of 8, 9, X, because their mechanics and characters were engaging despite the problems.

Point to me one person that is super eager to go replay 13, or Crisis Core, or the completely out of left field "Final Fantasy 4: The After Years," or even 15. There's been a long combo streak of unrepentant junk that I think is far more indicative of a cultural downfall.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i stopped liking a thing ergo everyone else stopped liking it too

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Poulpe posted:

I think you're describing negatively received traits of the individual titles, which are fair, but those don't necessarily remark on the series. I know plenty of people that loved and love the crap out of 8, 9, X, because their mechanics and characters were engaging despite the problems.

Point to me one person that is super eager to go replay 13, or Crisis Core, or the completely out of left field "Final Fantasy 4: The After Years," or even 15. There's been a long combo streak of unrepentant junk that I think is far more indicative of a cultural downfall.

I replay XIII somewhat regularly. I've played XV three times so far, with a fourth probably coming soon. Crisis Core was alright. And so was TAY.

I'm that one person.

Also I don't like VI and IX. My favorite title is IV, with VIII, X, and XV in a constantly rotating slap fight for second depending on which I've most recently played.

It's almost like different people have different taste in games, and those ones you think are unrepentant junk have fans out there. Astounding.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Aside from the After Years, hi, I'm right here.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's almost like different people have different taste in games, and those ones you think are unrepentant junk have fans out there. Astounding.

Excuse me for insulting your poorly received video game series!
No accounting for taste!

I stand by my statement though, largely the series is being viewed as lower and lower quality, and I think now we're in a context where people feel like they have to play the next one regardless, but the luster is wearing thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

XIII, voted the best game of 2009 by reader poll in Dengeki. Got a 39 out of 40 from Famitsu. Received good reviews almost across the board in the West. Sold over 7 million copies worldwide.

XV, 38 out of 40 from Famitsu. Generally good reviews across the board. Has sold over 8 million copies worldwide. Has been acknowledged as saving the series as a whole.

I think we have very different definitions of poorly received.