Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

KillHour posted:

That came on when I was driving and wouldn't go off. It went away when I left it off for 10 minutes. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

Did you have anything on the passenger seat? The occupancy sensors can trip if you put a package on there that's lighter than an adult but heavier than nothing, the car thinks you have a baby or child there.

I had the seatbelt warning dinging at me once in my daughter's car and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had a bag of groceries on the seat. It was just heavy enough to fool the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yesss. Henrik Fisker knew what was up. I'd put up with a lot of bullshit to roll around in that. Demuro the poo poo out of what I hope is a bumper-to-bumper warranty.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Alarbus posted:

I had this issue with my E90, the passenger seat occupancy sensor would fail, and shut off the airbag. It was periodic until it just failed entirely. Fixing it was kind of annoying, since you have to remove the seat cover, swap the sensor, and recover the seat, and gently caress hog rings, those bastards are sharp. And you have to reprogram it. There was a fairly large BMW recall in the late 2000s for it.

That might be why I've never seen that error message come up before cuz uk cars don't have seat occupancy sensors

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also lol leaving the rear quarter glass raised with the roof and door glass lowered is very triggering to me pls fix this!!!!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

Did you have anything on the passenger seat? The occupancy sensors can trip if you put a package on there that's lighter than an adult but heavier than nothing, the car thinks you have a baby or child there.

I had the seatbelt warning dinging at me once in my daughter's car and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had a bag of groceries on the seat. It was just heavy enough to fool the car.

My GF's Toyota is like that - if you so much as sneeze on the passenger seat, it starts yelling for you to buckle up (well, beeping incessantly). A backpack with a few books, or a bag of groceries, is enough to trip it.

But it doesn't trip the airbag MIL... it just switches the "passenger airbag on/off" light to on and the seat belt light starts flashing.

My Saturn? I've had over 50 pounds of stuff on the passenger seat before, and it didn't trip the occupancy sensor. I don't know if they might have a second occupancy sensor on the seat back, or maybe multiple sensors in the bottom,, but I've had cases of water stacked on the seat and it didn't trip it. GF (who's just barely on this side of 100 lbs) trips it fine. FWIW, both my old Saturn and this one were the same way, though I do have the front seats from the old car installed in this car (the originals were pretty torn up, and the airbag light kept coming on until I swapped them, so I assume it had a bad sensor in the original seat). Mine will also start dinging for the passenger to buckle up if the sensor does get tripped (and has a second seat belt light for the passenger seat), but at least it only dings for about 5 seconds.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 6, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Also lol leaving the rear quarter glass raised with the roof and door glass lowered is very triggering to me pls fix this!!!!

Lol at making presumptive statements suggesting the electrical system is, in fact, operable and capable of lowering said window

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Give him a break, he used to be an Aston mechanic... and now he works on Italian cars. His perception of a quality electrical system is probably massively skewed. :v:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Give him a break, he used to be an Aston mechanic... and now he works on Italian cars. His perception of a quality electrical system is probably massively skewed. :v:

Cultural relativism is a scourge upon this Earf, pal

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

fridge corn posted:

That might be why I've never seen that error message come up before cuz uk cars don't have seat occupancy sensors

I assume you mean UK Astons, I've experienced them on other cheaper plebian makes.

Talking of hogrings I need to take the seat covers off the Panda to clean them properly due to the dumbass textured mesh they use, how much work is it and do I need special tools?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Seat was completely empty.

fridge corn posted:

If there was a way to only leave one of them raised, I'd do that just to drive you crazy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Lol at making presumptive statements suggesting the electrical system is, in fact, operable and capable of lowering said window

The car is too new yet for the drains to have blocked up thus submersing the window motors (and tonneau latch motors) in water

KillHour posted:

If there was a way to only leave one of them raised, I'd do that just to drive you crazy.

Lol you joke but your car will eventually revert to its natural state. See above!!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe I should have gotten something more reliable. Like an Alfa or a Maserati.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I assume you mean UK Astons, I've experienced them on other cheaper plebian makes.

Talking of hogrings I need to take the seat covers off the Panda to clean them properly due to the dumbass textured mesh they use, how much work is it and do I need special tools?

Hog Ring Pliers and a supply of hog rings look to be $20 or under on US Amazon. I can't seem to find it now, but I did get a different pliers as well designed to spread open the current rings. Depending on how strong they are snap ring pliers would probably work.

It's kind of lovely work, but it's not completely terrible. Just tedious and lots of tiny sharp points. Step one is removing the seat from the car, which will definitely be worse in some cars compared to others!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

STR posted:

My GF's Toyota is like that - if you so much as sneeze on the passenger seat, it starts yelling for you to buckle up (well, beeping incessantly). A backpack with a few books, or a bag of groceries, is enough to trip it.

If you have a bluetooth ODB-II scanner and an Android phone (maybe it works on iphones but they used to gently caress with bluetooth), you can get the Carista app and change that. It can handle a fair number of changes that usually you need Techstream or to go to the dealer to fix. I turned off the seatbelt chime and changed a lot of the lock options on my car.

The only thing that sucks is you pay $10 but it only gives you access to the advanced features for a week, however I'd rather pay $10 once and use it on all my cars then have to pay $100 for a perpetual license.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Double posting because yolo - I had posted in here a while back looking for better USB-C cords because they wouldn't stay plugged in to my Pixel 2, changing cords didn't help so I finally googled it and found the correct fix. Lint had built up in the USB-C port, and while you could press the cord in enough to charge, it wouldn't let the cord get in far enough to lock into place. Every time you pushed the cord in, any lint hanging out got pushed farther back and more compacted. I spent 5 mins with a staple just scraping out all the lint (there's more than you can see at first), and now I can hang my phone from the original cable and it won't fall out.

Never had this problem with any phone before, must be something about the dimensions of the USB-C port.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Haha, yep, that's one of the "known issues" with the Pixel 2 at least. I think at one point Google considered it a bug.

It's almost kind of satisfying getting all that lint out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Light came back :bang:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MomJeans420 posted:

USB-C ... lint
I'll have to check the wife's phone, she's woken up to find it not charged a few times. I got rid of the issue on mine with a magnetic charger plug, sticks out a little bit but it's pretty handy.

New work laptop day! Getting it setup and disabling a bunch of the windows 10 stuff. Downside is in the past ~3.5 years they've really locked down us being able to install anything so that's kind of a pain. May be laptop shopping shortly :doh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MomJeans420 posted:

If you have a bluetooth ODB-II scanner and an Android phone (maybe it works on iphones but they used to gently caress with bluetooth), you can get the Carista app and change that. It can handle a fair number of changes that usually you need Techstream or to go to the dealer to fix. I turned off the seatbelt chime and changed a lot of the lock options on my car.

The only thing that sucks is you pay $10 but it only gives you access to the advanced features for a week, however I'd rather pay $10 once and use it on all my cars then have to pay $100 for a perpetual license.

Just checked. Doesn't support my car at all, and doesn't support any changes on GF's car (2005 Toyota Matrix) - only basic diagnostics. And on her car, the only thing you could probably change is the seat belt beeper anyway - it has manual everything, and the original radio has been replaced. It'd be nice to customize the DRLs somehow though - once they're on (low beam headlights at full brightness), they stay on until you shut the car off. Same goes for the full headlights (they're fully automatic, on a car so basic that the floor mats were $250 extra, but once they're on, they won't shut off until you kill the engine). I like DRL's, but it'd be nice to be able to shut them off when parked without having to cycle the ignition. On my car, the DRLs shut off if I'm not moving and engage the parking brake. On hers, I don't think even the version with an automatic transmission shuts them off once you're in park (hers is a 5MT).

There's a song and dance you can do with the seat belt, ignition switch, and trip odometer reset button to shut it up. I haven't been able to get the timing just right though, it's pretty loving picky. I got it right on mom's car (2003 Toyota Avalon) for both the seat belt annoy-a-tron and to program in new keyfobs, once.

And their home screen shows an iPhone, but I assume it'd be a WiFi OBD2 adapter in that case. Either way, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and remember it once I get something newer.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll have to check the wife's phone, she's woken up to find it not charged a few times. I got rid of the issue on mine with a magnetic charger plug, sticks out a little bit but it's pretty handy.

I use a magnetic plug on my work phone (otherwise I would have worn out the micro USB jack within a couple of weeks), but they don't pass the full current through (the plug gets downright hot if I'm using a fast charger, and it charges noticeably slower using the magnetic plug). My personal phone is USB-C, but it generally just gets charged once a day. It's gotten kinda hard to get the plug to snap in, though it's not a Pixel - I've had issues with it not charging a few times.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not a good idea. The 3.0 H6 is a fairly finnicky motor that is high static compression and it does not like lower octane fuel.

In that case, I'll leave it alone, and just use 93.
I can deal with that.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Do any of you guys or gals have input on a good indoor TV antenna in the ~$50 range? I just started researching this stuff today hah, so I'm learning. It looks like nearly all of the channels in the area are UHF. This is for a friend who doesn't watch a whole lot of TV, but would like to be able to see the major networks etc. If I'm reading the map correctly, the channels she most cares about are coming from the SE which is good because she has a couple windows facing that direction for mounting.

Was considering between these two from my limited research:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZD5MUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSMK580/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

*sits back, waits for extremely detailed STR response down to material composition*

I have this from 2017:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BN0OC86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I'm in the middle of the DFW metroplex with lots of strong stations fairly close by. No complaints about it. I used a similar utility as you to see where everything was and relative signal strength, and this 35-mile antenna was all I needed at my location.

Looks like this is the current version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TWSQFM/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So after looking at and driving a bunch of different cars in my price range and being mostly disappointed, I'm just getting another xB :v:

Driving across the state to get it too, buying it from a Mercedes dealer of all places in West Palm Beach. It was the only clean, low mileage and decent priced xB I could find near me, but it's a good excuse to spend the night on the beach at least :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

Light came back :bang:

It wouldn't be a quality English car if it wasn't inherently broken and full of time-locked issues before it left the factory floor...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of our neighbors got a new dog. They've just tied him up in the yard and he's been barking for 2 hours. I want to go steal him and set their house on fire.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Call the city. If the dog is tied up without shelter (or food, or water), animal control will be very interested. The police may or may not be interested in the noise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can see dishes on the deck.

The police give no fucks about the noise ordinance, we've had people lighting fireworks at midnight for a month.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I can see dishes on the deck.

The police give no fucks about the noise ordinance, we've had people lighting fireworks at midnight for a month.

Indiana is for lovers

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

hit 100 miles :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How in the everliving gently caress does a loving full size truck get the same (if not better) MPG than a drat Saturn? :corsair:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
By being in sixth gear (out of ten!) at 22 mph, apparently.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

By being in sixth gear (out of ten!) at 22 mph, apparently.

or doing 65mph at 800rpm.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yo dawg, I heard you like overdrive, so I got an overdrive for your overdrive, then I got an overdrive for the overdrive of your overdrive!

IIRC mom's piece of crap Olds Intrigue was barely above 1k at highway speeds, and got shockingly decent mileage for the 3800 (mid-high 20s in a W body).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh! also, believe it or not, premium gas actually helps:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got 27 mpg on one tank driving my M3 home after I bought it. I tend to be in the 14-15 mpg range driving it around town...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

How in the everliving gently caress does a loving full size truck get the same (if not better) MPG than a drat Saturn? :corsair:

Gonna say, Ecoboost, and almost 20 years newer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

One of our neighbors got a new dog. They've just tied him up in the yard and he's been barking for 2 hours. I want to go steal him and set their house on fire.

Oh God, I feel you. After we signed our lease together, we went back a few weeks later with the leasing agent to take measurements for furniture and all of the sudden there were two dogs going ape-poo poo on the balcony above with plastic fencing zip-tied to the railings so they couldn't jump off the balcony at people, because oh boy, let me tell you, they loving would. They're able to stick their heads underneath the fencing and stretch it out and bark at you, and for the first couple of weeks I was convinced he just left them to hang out on this tiny balcony all day long.

I've since learned that there's a small possibly terrier/pit bull mix who's the super aggressive instigator which gets the full-sized regular pit bull riled up too. Who I assume is the girlfriend was walking just the full-sized boye the other day past me and he just wagged his tail and dog-grinned at me and kept going on his way. TL:DR gently caress small dogs forever.

Luckily it seems they were just kind of lax with the dogs while our apartment was vacant, because after a couple of weeks they weren't on the balcony as much, and the guy that lives there mentioned it was too expensive so they were thinking about moving out in October. :pray:

Also, in annoying owner but not dogs, her old downstairs neighbor would constantly yell one of his three dogs' names and tell them to lie down over and over again, but you almost never heard the dogs at all. And after he moved out it was revealed he just let them piss all over the hardwood floors and caused several thousand dollars worth of damage, including damages from the dog piss seeping into the basement!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

I think I’m averaging about 13mpg. gently caress it, YOLO, etc

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

I'm the structural drumstick.

I will follow an instrument repair thread. Totally follow it.
Would like to be able to fix my stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

T-Square posted:

Also, in annoying owner but not dogs, her old downstairs neighbor would constantly yell one of his three dogs' names and tell them to lie down over and over again, but you almost never heard the dogs at all. And after he moved out it was revealed he just let them piss all over the hardwood floors and caused several thousand dollars worth of damage, including damages from the dog piss seeping into the basement!
My MIL had 30+ cats at her last apartment. The owners were rather pissed when they discovered that when she moved out. She's a real piece of work in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

MomJeans420 posted:

I spent 5 mins with a staple just scraping out all the lint
Best not to jam a conductive staple into a port with exposed power pins.... I usually use a zap tie cut at a sharp angle.