Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Do beginner classes have any differences between them besides stat growth and the skill you learn from mastering them? Soldiers getting +2 def seems less what I want than more Speed or Strength or Magic, so I'm not sure what to do with all these lance users

They have different weapon proficiencies which can make leveling a weapon type a bit faster early on. You spend so little time in them it's not really a big deal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We should all come back to this thread in five years to discuss Fire Emblem Three Houses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"I don't know how much time I got left! I'm going to get real weird with it." - Edelgard

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh wait Manuela night make a good dancer

Is that even possible?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh wait Manuela night make a good dancer

Is that even possible?

students only

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish, that if you had enough people on your side, you could form a "B-Team" that would go on other missions while you take your "A-Team" to main missions.

Still kinda frustrating that the game basically boils down to "Focus on 10 characters. Ignore everyone else."

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
"As a judge of the dancing competition, I pick... me! I win!" - Manuela, probably

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I wish, that if you had enough people on your side, you could form a "B-Team" that would go on other missions while you take your "A-Team" to main missions.

Still kinda frustrating that the game basically boils down to "Focus on 10 characters. Ignore everyone else."

Adjutants and instruction can help you keep a few more characters up to speed, at least.

Nothing new for Fire Emblem to functionally require you to bench a bunch of your roster though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Eimi posted:

Yes there is. I managed to get them both to flee by engaging them with the professor. Luckily Seteth will not move at all so it's only Flayn you have to worry about suiciding somone. I do not know if other units work as well by Byleth will 100% spare them. As they were the only members of their faction I cared about I was very happy when this happened.

Cool just did that, thanks. Made some liberal usage of swap and reposition. I was happy too, I liked both of them. The little scene of them sending the message to Rhea about going into hiding was also nice.

also stole flayn's staff. can never have enough magic staves!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like that's the cost of having a large roster. Deploying more than a dozen units would be kinda hell to manage

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

e: don't worry about mastering anything other than commoner/noble, brigand, and mage tbh. Promote asap.
I would say Archer is really good too (+20 hit is kinda huge), and Pegasus Knight gets +6 AS when initiating combat on mastery, while I think Armored Knight gets +6 Def. All of those are pretty useful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

students only

Boooo

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"As a judge of the dancing competition, I pick... me! I win!" - Manuela, probably

It’s in character even

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like that's the cost of having a large roster. Deploying more than a dozen units would be kinda hell to manage

I do wish they would have a standardized deployment number. Like 11 for every mission unless it's deliberately giving you a smaller roster or something. The fact that it bounces around is annoying. But I don't want more than 11, they made a point to keep the numbers small because everyone has a LOT of characterization so you're supposed to really like everyone you deploy.

Arkeus posted:

I would say Archer is really good too (+20 hit is kinda huge), and Pegasus Knight gets +6 AS when initiating combat on mastery, while I think Armored Knight gets +6 Def. All of those are pretty useful.

True true, though if I had to choose between Deathblow and +20 I'd pick Deathblow. Need some way to engineer Bernie being a brigand for a spell.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know it'd break the already precarious game balance but it'd have been neta to use renown to get some more deployment slots. Just to mess with mroe of the army at once

Maybe Lunatic will flip the script and be totally rebalanced around a larger army :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I always felt like they give you a huge roster in FE because of the permadeath. In birthright I actually did an “iron man” run where instead of restarting when a unit died I just replaced them. I think I had 3 units die and they had almost exact replacements I could just slot in lol

In this one I figure it’s because of all the houses and routes - it’s possible to be really bad at recruiting and need to use only the defaults right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You have professors and knights to back you up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I always felt like they give you a huge roster in FE because of the permadeath. In birthright I actually did an "iron man" run where instead of restarting when a unit died I just replaced them. I think I had 3 units die and they had almost exact replacements I could just slot in lol
I feel like they need to just completely break with the illusion that people don't just restart missions if they lose units. I mean, they already did this to a large degree with Divine Pulse.

It's kind of just the unspoken rule that is known "Oh yeah, if the fight goes bad and I lose people, I restart." I feel like the people that play on classic and truly let the people die are a relatively small minority.

Currently, my roster is: Byleth, Dimitri, Dedue, Felix, Ashe, Sylvain, Mercedes, Annette, Ingred, LInhardt, Bernadette, Dorothea, Petra, Lysithea, Marianne, Flayn, Hanneman, Manuela, Catherine, Shamir, Cyril.

And I haven't put much work into recruiting people at all. A lot of my skills just required little nudges and it was enough to recruit people. I'm sitting at month 11 with 21 units. Half of these will never see battle again and it just feels like a waste.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think they try to pretend that people don't restart. Classic mode is for if you want a unit dying to be a loss condition. It's kinda poorly communicated I'll agree but there's only been one FE that was set up well for an ironman run and that was the original one for the NES.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eimi posted:

True true, though if I had to choose between Deathblow and +20 I'd pick Deathblow. Need some way to engineer Bernie being a brigand for a spell.

Toss the Skill Gem on her (or anyone, really) and go run a few battles during a single weekend, that's what I did. It takes 25 battle encounters to master the class, which isn't terribly hard to do in two random battles if you're focusing on doing so (or 3 at the outside... and conveniently enough that's how many battles you get in a weekend at max professor rank).

+20 hit is mainly useful for extreme range non-magic combat - like 4+ spaces, or 3 against dodgy targets. Anything else you really shouldn't be having too many difficulties with. So it's not bad to have on archers, but you really don't want it on anyone else - and even there it can be done without.

My current build is:
-Bow Prowess
-Death Blow
-Darting Blow
-Hit +20
-Aegis

The last two are replaceable really, but situationally useful. Other options for me being Close Counter, Desperation, or even Dex +4 (hit, crit, and boosts Aegis activation rate)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think they try to pretend that people don't restart. Classic mode is for if you want a unit dying to be a loss condition. It's kinda poorly communicated I'll agree but there's only been one FE that was set up well for an ironman run and that was the original one for the NES.

And even then the whole reason every game after wasn't was because people were getting attached to the characters even when they were just names and reused portraits. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zore posted:

And even then the whole reason every game after wasn't was because people were getting attached to the characters even when they were just names and reused portraits. :v:

The difference between Fire Emblem and XCOM, to me is that Fire Emblem is unique characters and XCOM is just and endless supply of faceless mooks. Sure, you can create story with your XCOM characters, but they aren't the center of the story the way Fire Emblem ones are.

Since they are more important to the story (even moreso now than the first Fire Emblem), obviously people are going to get attached.

It just frustrates me having to permanently bench half my roster.

This is just a minor complaint because I'm enjoying the everliving gently caress out of this game.

Perhaps a solution would be to build the game around the Adjutant system. Make it so that every character can have an adjutant always. Make the enemies more difficult to compensate and require people to have adjutants.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
More adjudants would help me with my shipping... I mean help my weaker units catch up.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Do beginner classes have any differences between them besides stat growth and the skill you learn from mastering them? Soldiers getting +2 def seems less what I want than more Speed or Strength or Magic, so I'm not sure what to do with all these lance users

The +2 stat skills from the beginner classes are superfluous. The real prize for mastering those classes are the movement abilities and Soldier gets you the best one, Reposition. Just stick ‘em in Soldier

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Combat arts are in a weird place where they start out VERY strong, but get noticeably weaker as the game progresses. There are a few I like, the double attack from Sniper or that Ferdie has with lances, sometimes the one that gives you a magical attack can be better than double attacking, but yeah. I guess Smash for axe is good because most axe units won't double and +20 crit is good.

also assassinate and lethality from assassin never loving proc so I don't know the point of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like they need to just completely break with the illusion that people don't just restart missions if they lose units. I mean, they already did this to a large degree with Divine Pulse.

It's kind of just the unspoken rule that is known "Oh yeah, if the fight goes bad and I lose people, I restart." I feel like the people that play on classic and truly let the people die are a relatively small minority.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, this is exactly why I prefer to play on Classic. I don't do iron man runs on my first runs through Fire Emblem games or anything. I just like having "any unit dies" as an extra lose condition because it really ramps up the tension and makes me consider every move more carefully.

I'm conflicted on Divine Pulse, given that. On the one hand, it definitely saves me a lot of time--I'd probably have restarted battles quite a bit by now--but it also means that I play a little more recklessly and take more chances than I otherwise would on a Classic run. After all, I'm swimming in Divine Pulse charges.

I wouldn't want to get rid of Divine Pulse entirely, but I do sort of wish it wasn't so easy to get a shitload of charges. I've never even come close to running out of charges on Hard/Classic, which definitely takes the tension out of battles. I still play differently than I would on Casual, because I know that a unit dying is always a time I need to use Divine Pulse instead of only sometimes, but I no longer feel like I actually have anything to lose in any given battle. I know I have the option to just not use it, but it's right there, and I hate having to force myself to ignore game mechanics.

But on the other hand, it has absolutely saved me several hours of time that I might have spent just straight restarting battles and doing basically the same thing over again minus a few moves so :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Doubling gets sketchy late game, depending on the unit and enemy. The added accuracy and massive damage in one shot still applies.

Also, some skills are just plain good, like Windsweep.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Are Manuela and Hanneman recruitable in the Edelgard route?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Are Manuela and Hanneman recruitable in the Edelgard route?

Joining with Edelguard means no one from the church. Alois and Shamir join you regardless because One is loyal to jeralt and the other is pure merc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Doubling gets sketchy late game, depending on the unit and enemy. The added accuracy and massive damage in one shot still applies.

Also, some skills are just plain good, like Windsweep.

36 AS war masters are hosed up

enemies with brave weapons and +20 crit skills shouldn't be allowed, much less ones who double almost my entire army

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tae posted:

Joining with Edelguard means no one from the church. Alois and Shamir join you regardless because One is loyal to jeralt and the other is pure merc

You can get Manuela and Hanneman on Edelgard's path. I actually really liked Hanneman's support with Edelgard, it goes into his past and his reason to side with her.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hilda is quickly rising up my best gal list, which was Dorothea, El, and Petra

Hil-da, Hil-da

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
^HIL-DA! HIL-DA!

rannum posted:

Cool just did that, thanks. Made some liberal usage of swap and reposition. I was happy too, I liked both of them. The little scene of them sending the message to Rhea about going into hiding was also nice.

also stole flayn's staff. can never have enough magic staves!

As an aside Seteth's line delivery when you kill Flayn genuinely sounds like a father who just watched his daughter die and it's heartbreaking.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I have spent 40 minutes fishing, on fistful of fish day, for this drat second silver fish for Hubert's supply run and I am not convicned there are any more in the game
Just loving take literally ANY OTHER FISH, hubert! I have 4 of these stupid 2000g Fodlandly fish just take one!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Divine Pulse should have been capped at 5 charges, at most.

Carlosologist posted:

Hil-da, Hil-da

And thus Hilda did say "You're making me do work" before unleashing a 200+ damage critical against her enemy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Bought this the other day on a whim despite my only previous experience with the series being an hour or so of Sacred Stones before getting frustrated by the AI blatantly cheating on a fog of war map and quitting.

It's super fun and I glad I got it!! Anime high school is the best, and I like that Time Travel makes it so Classic mode is still *tense* while not being extremely punishing.

I'm playing Black Eagle house (aka the best house), and I just got to the part where Jeralt dies. :(

Carlosologist posted:

Hil-da, Hil-da
your list doesn't include Bernadetta or Lysithea, please reconsider :colbert:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excellent, thank you all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eimi posted:

Combat arts are in a weird place where they start out VERY strong, but get noticeably weaker as the game progresses. There are a few I like, the double attack from Sniper or that Ferdie has with lances, sometimes the one that gives you a magical attack can be better than double attacking, but yeah. I guess Smash for axe is good because most axe units won't double and +20 crit is good.

also assassinate and lethality from assassin never loving proc so I don't know the point of them.

Comedy option is to use Warp so one person doesn't have to move and proceed to hit something with two Triangle Attacks in the same turn.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Frozen lance can be stupid good on dudes like Lorenz or even Hubert but yeah i agree they really start to wane after the timeskip

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Combat arts are so that people who make dumb decisions like making all their magic users sword users aren't completely screwed before they get levin swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bernie and Lysithea are good girls too, I was just listing my top three

a second run really hits different when your guys are hitting C rank in skills in Chapter 3 and you actually have an idea of what you're going to do :v:

Lorenz is an idiot, way worse than Ferdinand early on

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 7, 2019