Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Untrustable posted:

I bought the lumber for the deck/porch thing. I dug a five foot hole to sink a high line pole in. Now my great grandpa is trying to convince me that I should wall over the front door and CUT A BRAND NEW FRONT DOOR closer to the middle of the trailer. He's...he's not wrong. It would look better. I'm considering making a thread to chronicle my dumb rear end renovating this $3,000 trailer into a liveable home in the quest to be willed the untouched (other than where the trailer is) 80 acres of land. It's a long story but the gist is if I get this place fixed and powered and plumbed I will get 80 acres of pristine land.

Current issues include: everything all the time forever.

Do you get the mineral and water rights too?

ed: water rights snype

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hell yeah mate keep up updated on all trailer drama (post pics)

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

To answer some questions: The land is right across the road from where I live now. My great grandpa owns it. It's in middle of nowhere Oklahoma. It's mostly timber; not a hay meadow in sight.

I do get all rights associated with the land. Right now I'm getting an address so I can get electricity connected so I can start working in earnest. Once I start knocking out some projects I'll take pics and either post them here or start a thread detailing how I'm gonna gently caress this all up somehow.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hell yes keep us up to date on Goondew Valley

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'd take the land, wait an appropriate amount of time, and then sell. Water access is going to become a severe issue out there.

Worst case scenario is that nothing comes of climate change and you sold fine land for market value and moved somewhere fun. Best case is that you completely miss severe droughts, bloodshed over water control, the lands value going to nil, and in some eventualities, your death.

Sorry if this is too political for this thread, but it's the type of thing I was thinking about when I bought this house, and I've been eyeing sustainability upgrades for the future.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am carpenter.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Put up some storage space...

And with the approval of the lady friend, I've installed this into the living room for the next few months...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My current board is red but I like that blue, maybe I'll do blue in the next place.

From last year but imagine slightly more tools and a dirty workbench

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://cheappegboard.com/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Mine is white:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pegboards have always seemed like a wasteful choice for tool storage to me. Feels like some well-organised shelving with tools arranged to be quickly accessible would be better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does it waste? Do you use that wall space for something else?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What does it waste? Do you use that wall space for something else?

Yeah, the aforementioned shelves, that could fit a bunch more tools with similar access characteristics.

Like, do I really need to present the full face of a quick square to the world when the profile would do fine?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's cute and cool and I like it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, the aforementioned shelves, that could fit a bunch more tools with similar access characteristics.

Like, do I really need to present the full face of a quick square to the world when the profile would do fine?

Oh, I don’t usually have that much spare depth in front of my workspace. Where I need and can fit shelves I do, but pegboard lets me use the facing wall for immediate access to the most frequently used stuff without sacrificing much of my work surface area. Maybe I need to get more hand tools so that I feel the density pinch.

If you look at the pictures above, I think you’ll agree that shelves deep enough to store said quick square would really cut into the work areas that are against the wall there.

Do you have shelves behind your workspace? I’d love to see a picture because how I’m imagining it seems pretty awkward! It also feels like picking a screwdriver or wrench or Allen key based on profile would be more annoying than if you can see it stood up in front of you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I don’t usually have that much spare depth in front of my workspace. Where I need and can fit shelves I do, but pegboard lets me use the facing wall for immediate access to the most frequently used stuff without sacrificing much of my work surface area. Maybe I need to get more hand tools so that I feel the density pinch.

If you look at the pictures above, I think you’ll agree that shelves deep enough to store said quick square would really cut into the work areas that are against the wall there.

Do you have shelves behind your workspace? I’d love to see a picture because how I’m imagining it seems pretty awkward! It also feels like picking a screwdriver or wrench or Allen key based on profile would be more annoying than if you can see it stood up in front of you.

I don't have that set up right now since everything is currently modular and mobile, perhaps I'll encounter that problem when I try it myself.

I think I also have a preference towards quite deep worktops and desks etc, so it's not common that I would be working on anything tall right up to a wall, with the back of the workspace operating more like the back burners in a kitchen. With a fairly shallow workbench and tall work pieces I could see that being an issue.

That said, in the photo I would think that a relatively shallow shelf (like half the depth of the workbench) below the window would accommodate all those squares and more.

Few people fuss about cabinets above kitchen counters; I've only seen one person put a pegboard in a kitchen and he's someone far more concerned about how things make him look than their actual utility or efficiency.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pegboard isn’t a substitute for shelves but it’s a really nice way to have things clean and organized in areas you don’t want shelves eating up depth.

The kitchen cabinet amplify doesn’t hold because usually the stuff you put on peg board does stack well. I have tons of bench space and would just put tools down where there was space and it just looked like poo poo and sometimes I’d have to search under things for tools. Bought a sheet of pegboard and now my table tops are completely cleared of clutter and I knew exactly where everything is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's less optimal that is true, but IMO it's easier to keep track of tools and to return them to their proper places. Still I plan to add more shelves to store things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jaded Burnout posted:

Few people fuss about cabinets above kitchen counters; I've only seen one person put a pegboard in a kitchen and he's someone far more concerned about how things make him look than their actual utility or efficiency.

I keep my stirring spoons and tongs and spatulas upright in containers on the counter for the same reason I like pegboards: it’s nice to be able to quickly grab one one-handed without having to sort through a cupboard (or even a drawer, which I generally find to be superior to cupboards). If I had the wall space somewhere I (or my kid) wouldn’t be reaching over an active cooking surface, and I liked the aesthetic in the kitchen, I’d totally hang the most used stuff. People use knife blocks or magnets instead of sheathes for the same reason, often. Hanging pots and pans from the ceiling is also righteous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have pegboard above my workbench because I don't want to slam my head into shelving if I am bent over the bench planing something etc so it works nicely there for me to reach up and grab a screwdriver, hammer or square or something.

Shelving is a better setup otherwise but over benches pegboard seems good. For me setting up a newer shop and being a beginner my shop layout might change a ton in a few years (or not at all) so pegboard at least gives me a lot of flexibility.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I used to do residential and light commercial HVAC/handyman type work before I got into high-rise stationary engineering and I still keep most of my tools at home in bags like I did then. It works well for me since I mostly do mechanical and electrical stuff, not carpentry or metalwork. A main bag, a secondary, and then some specialized ones with masonry tools or drivers etc, a bucket to toss the misc weird stuff I need for whatever. I store them on shelves and then just bring the bag to where I'm working. It's real nice when I go to help a friend out at their place. The Veto tool bags are like tiny portable pegboard-style organizers, anyway. Kinda.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
:byewhore:

I have an existing masonite pegboard setup, but I just bought 8 blue panels for no good reason other than it will look cool in my garage. At least I can sell it to my wife that they are stronger.
(Thank you for posting the link)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
$100 for 28 sqft of pegboard, less than a 4x8 sheet. Ok.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

4x8 sheet of white pegboard at HD is like $20

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah if it’s unclear I meant less square footage.

Artisanal bespoke pegboard.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You mean the pressboard pegboard that self disassembles in six months for $20. Sure I guess.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

That Works posted:

4x8 sheet of white pegboard at HD is like $20

Those are sheet metal pegboard, so totally different quality/use case. You could mount shelves on them no problem, for example.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hubis posted:

Those are sheet metal pegboard

ohh

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there a place/thread for home solar panels?

kiwiflare
Aug 2, 2017
Any idea if there's a thread for flipping houses or real estate investment? I'm absolute poo poo at navigating this place & I usually go through the android app

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kiwiflare posted:

Any idea if there's a thread for flipping houses or real estate investment? I'm absolute poo poo at navigating this place & I usually go through the android app

Investments and such is usually discussed in BFC.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Is there a place/thread for home solar panels?

This one, I'd say, for general discussion thereof.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

welcome u 2 home spergin :kiddo:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

$3,000 trailer update: I got an address. That's about it. I'm currently waiting for the power company to come and run a line to the pole I put in. I moved some stuff around and on my next days off I kind of want to solve the mystery of why the double door on the back of the house is screwed shut with a board across it. Also after some probing I've discovered the master bedroom is completely hosed. It's going to need a new floor, walls, and windows. The roof could also use a nice thick coat of silver seal around the edges. Pics when they get me some power so I can use power tools and actually improve anything.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Untrustable posted:

I kind of want to solve the mystery of why the double door on the back of the house is screwed shut with a board across it.

:10bux: says portal to another dimension.

Either that or the hinges/latch are hosed and the cheapest 'fix' was to turn the door into a wall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Untrustable posted:

$3,000 trailer update: I got an address. That's about it. I'm currently waiting for the power company to come and run a line to the pole I put in. I moved some stuff around and on my next days off I kind of want to solve the mystery of why the double door on the back of the house is screwed shut with a board across it. Also after some probing I've discovered the master bedroom is completely hosed. It's going to need a new floor, walls, and windows. The roof could also use a nice thick coat of silver seal around the edges. Pics when they get me some power so I can use power tools and actually improve anything.

As you embark on this adventure do you know the estimated replacement cost of the structure you're about to repair? Just for those of us playing along at home. Also if you haven't read Kastein's thread you definitely should. Sadly the first several years of it don't have pictures anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212

Also before pictures are always accepted in advance.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 12, 2019

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need to drill a single 1/2" or 3/4" hole in my 3" deep concrete driveway. I've got a home depot special power drill that has worked well enough so far in all other applications. It's not a keyed chuck; it's just a simple twist mechanism with three fingers that spread or collapse to grab onto bits. Despite doing some reading, I'm unable to determine exactly which drill bit will accomplish what I want as well as fit into my drill. Any suggestions?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I need to drill a single 1/2" or 3/4" hole in my 3" deep concrete driveway. I've got a home depot special power drill that has worked well enough so far in all other applications. It's not a keyed chuck; it's just a simple twist mechanism with three fingers that spread or collapse to grab onto bits. Despite doing some reading, I'm unable to determine exactly which drill bit will accomplish what I want as well as fit into my drill. Any suggestions?

You want to rent a home depot rotary hammer drill and buy a masonry bit for it. The job will take you less time than you spent renting it with that tool.

Otherwise a masonry bit and a lot of patience peck drilling a 1/4" at a time and letting it cool / clearing dust.

I did 2 of those to anchor my patio cover 4x4's with a corded Dewalt impact and it took for-loving-ever but worked. If you have a regular battery operated one I hope you have extra batteries and several rolls of quarters for the swear jar.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

You want to rent a home depot rotary hammer drill and buy a masonry bit for it. The job will take you less time than you spent renting it with that tool.

Otherwise a masonry bit and a lot of patience peck drilling a 1/4" at a time and letting it cool / clearing dust.

I did 2 of those to anchor my patio cover 4x4's with a corded Dewalt impact and it took for-loving-ever but worked. If you have a regular battery operated one I hope you have extra batteries and several rolls of quarters for the swear jar.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh it's just one hole! Renting tools at my local HD sucks because I spend longer standing in line waiting than I do executing the job. (My drill is corded.) e: $40 for 4 hours aaaaaaaaaaaaa

If that's truly the best answer then that's what it is I guess, it just feels like overkill for a single hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh it's just one hole! Renting tools at my local HD sucks because I spend longer standing in line waiting than I do executing the job. (My drill is corded.) e: $40 for 4 hours aaaaaaaaaaaaa

If that's truly the best answer then that's what it is I guess, it just feels like overkill for a single hole.

I mean you're welcome to do it with a corded drill and masonry bit. It will eventually get done, make sure it doesn't overheat and that you take it very slowly so as not to blunt it. You might want 2 bits, depending on cost. ( :getin: buy a rotary hammer drill, you have the internet's permission.)

Wear a dust mask regardless of method.