Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

VitalSigns posted:

Anarchists for Big Data

People I know put Snowden in touch with Greenwald. I fought the NSA and still fight the PATRIOT act (FISA, ICE, DHS, PRISM, etc). I like computers, though I hang out with a lot of primitivists and I'm becoming more sympathetic. Still, big data has afforded us improvements in logistics that have lessened our (INSANTLY STUPID) use of fossil fuels in transporting goods. I believe in open-source, transparent, data-driven policy. And Pete's started the city's open data portal and blanketed downtown with WIFI. Find me a more connected town than South Bend.

Look at the field of candidates. It matters to me which way the wind blows. And there should be a statue of Chelsea Manning in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Uglycat posted:

An interesting way to come at me. Fair.

ACAB and gently caress McKinsey. Still, look at the field of candidates.

e - you (and an army of sockpuppets) would have a hard time turning Antifa and the Indigenous movements against me, though. Personal friends with many effective, influential, legit radical players. I fully expect a thorough and public character assassination for the position I'm publicly staking here.

If you only knew what my masters have in store for you. Our cartel trained Hezbollah operatives are converging on South Bend even now. You may have stopped us in 2016 but this time there will be no escape for you and your insolent band of Antifa freedom fighters.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

If you only knew what my masters have in store for you. Our cartel trained Hezbollah operatives are converging on South Bend even now. You may have stopped us in 2016 but this time there will be no escape for you and your insolent band of Antifa freedom fighters.

I'm not only staking this position here.

All my personas are one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah yeah, Mayor Pete should be elected President because he consolidated the South Bend data centers.

Do you realize how deranged you sound, Uglycat?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you trying to play a less coherent Bryan Boyko of this election cycle, or what's your game?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Uglycat posted:

And there should be a statue of Chelsea Manning in Washington.

Paragraphs of endless debasement for the sake of the NSA candidate and then you just drop this :ironicat:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Office Pig posted:

Paragraphs of endless debasement for the sake of the NSA candidate and then you just drop this :ironicat:

"The NSA candidate"

Actually, probably fair. The 'deep state' that believes in the Mueller report (because they actually have access to the fisa dox), the Obama state department people that have been watching aghast, they would go for Pete. There's a big fake AT&T building on Downtown South Bend that nobody ever goes in or out. When pete was driving around town with zuck, livestreaming, they passed by it and Pete remarked that they wouldn't even let /him/ in it.

P. sure it's NSA.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uglycat posted:

Look at the field of candidates.

We have. Right now, Mayor Pete doesn't look like he's made the best judgment calls during his time as mayor, regardless of his purported devotion to good, transparent data, and his platform is pretty lackluster on a lot of important fronts. So most of us aren't supporting him.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Look, all we have to do is beg Pete to be better and he will design a computer program to determine whether it is pragmatic to be better.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Majorian posted:

We have. Right now, Mayor Pete doesn't look like he's made the best judgment calls during his time as [elected position], regardless of his purported devotion to good, transparent data, and his platform is pretty lackluster on a lot of important fronts. So most of us aren't supporting [them]. Because the preceding isn't true of [who other than Bernie?], whom I support.

You forgot to add a sentence. I made it easy, just provide a name.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There ought to be a statue of Chelsea Manning in Washington, but electing a president who wants to see her rot in jail forever is fine too

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uglycat posted:

You forgot to add a sentence. I made it easy, just provide a name.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here; most people here are supporting Bernie. If you're trying to get me or others to say that Pete is our second choice, you're not doing a very convincing job of arguing his case.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mayor NEET.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here; most people here are supporting Bernie. If you're trying to get me or others to say that Pete is our second choice, you're not doing a very convincing job of arguing his case.

So you can't name a better candidate, apart from Bernie.

Me neither.

I'm a Bernie man.

South Bend's 2nd District is for Bernie.

Thus, owing to the way polling is done and the way the nation has hastily characterized the city's take of the man without actually /asking any of us/, has failed to show the actual level of support he enjoys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Majorian posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Pete Buttigieg? This is Pete Buttigieg speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing—you who dread knowledge—I am the man who will now tell you.” The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country—of the world, thought the chief engineer—sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

“You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man’s sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. Since virtue, to you, consists of sacrifice, you have demanded more sacrifices at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those evils which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed independence to unity. You have sacrificed reason to faith. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty.

“You have destroyed all that which you held to be evil and achieved all that which you held to be good. Why, then, do you shrink in horror from the sight of the world around you? That world is not the product of your sins, it is the product and the image of your virtues. It is your moral ideal brought into reality in its full and final perfection. You have fought for it, you have dreamed of it, and you have wished it, and I—I am the man who has granted you your wish.

“Your ideal had an implacable enemy, which your code of morality was designed to destroy. I have withdrawn that enemy. I have taken it out of your way and out of your reach. I have removed the source of all those evils you were sacrificing one by one. I have ended your battle. I have stopped your motor. I have deprived your world of man’s mind.

“Men do not live by the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those who do. The mind is impotent, you say? I have withdrawn those whose mind isn’t. There are values higher than the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those for whom there aren’t.

“While you were dragging to your sacrificial altars the men of justice, of independence, of reason, of wealth, of self-esteem—I beat you to it, I reached them first. I told them the nature of the game you were playing and the nature of that moral code of yours, which they had been too innocently generous to grasp. I showed them the way to live by another morality—mine. It is mine that they chose to follow.

“All the men who have vanished, the men you hated, yet dreaded to lose, it is I who have taken them away from you. Do not attempt to find us. We do not choose to be found. Do not cry that it is our duty to serve you. We do not recognize such duty. Do not cry that you need us. We do not consider need a claim. Do not cry that you own us. You don’t. Do not beg us to return. We are on strike, we, the men of the mind.

“We are on strike against self-immolation. We are on strike against the creed of unearned rewards and unrewarded duties. We are on strike against the dogma that the pursuit of one’s happiness is evil. We are on strike against the doctrine that life is guilt.

“There is a difference between our strike and all those you’ve practiced for centuries: our strike consists, not of making demands, but of granting them. We are evil, according to your morality. We have chosen not to harm you any longer. We are useless, according to your economics. We have chosen not to exploit you any longer. We are dangerous and to be shackled, according to your politics. We have chosen not to endanger you, nor to wear the shackles any longer. We are only an illusion, according to your philosophy. We have chosen not to blind you any longer and have left you free to face reality—the reality you wanted, the world as you see it now, a world without mind.

“We have granted you everything you demanded of us, we who had always been the givers, but have only now understood it. We have no demands to present to you, no terms to bargain about, no compromise to reach. You have nothing to offer us. We do not need you.

“Are you now crying: No, this was not what you wanted? A mindless world of ruins was not your goal? You did not want us to leave you? You moral cannibals, I know that you’ve always known what it was that you wanted. But your game is up, because now we know it, too.

“Through centuries of scourges and disasters, brought about by your code of morality, you have cried that your code had been broken, that the scourges were punishment for breaking it, that men were too weak and too selfish to spill all the blood it required. You damned man, you damned existence, you damned this earth, but never dared to question your code. Your victims took the blame and struggled on, with your curses as reward for their martyrdom—while you went on crying that your code was noble, but human nature was not good enough to practice it. And no one rose to ask the question: Good?—by what standard?

“You wanted to know Pete Buttigieg’s identity. I am the man who has asked that question.

“Yes, this is an age of moral crisis. Yes, you are bearing punishment for your evil. But it is not man who is now on trial and it is not human nature that will take the blame. It is your moral code that’s through, this time. Your moral code has reached its climax, the blind alley at the end of its course. And if you wish to go on living, what you now need is not to return to morality—you who have never known any—but to discover it.

“You have heard no concepts of morality but the mystical or the social. You have been taught that morality is a code of behavior imposed on you by whim, the whim of a supernatural power or the whim of society, to serve God’s purpose or your neighbor’s welfare, to please an authority beyond the grave or else next door—but not to serve your life or pleasure. Your pleasure, you have been taught, is to be found in immorality, your interests would best be served by evil, and any moral code must be designed not for you, but against you, not to further your life, but to drain it.

“For centuries, the battle of morality was fought between those who claimed that your life belongs to God and those who claimed that it belongs to your neighbors—between those who preached that the good is self-sacrifice for the sake of ghosts in heaven and those who preached that the good is self-sacrifice for the sake of incompetents on earth. And no one came to say that your life belongs to you and that the good is to live it.

“Both sides agreed that morality demands the surrender of your self-interest and of your mind, that the moral and the practical are opposites, that morality is not the province of reason, but the province of faith and force. Both sides agreed that no rational morality is possible, that there is no right or wrong in reason—that in reason there’s no reason to be moral.

“Whatever else they fought about, it was against man’s mind that all your moralists have stood united. It was man’s mind that all their schemes and systems were intended to despoil and destroy. Now choose to perish or to learn that the anti-mind is the anti-life.

“Man’s mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not. His body is given to him, its sustenance is not. His mind is given to him, its content is not. To remain alive, he must act, and before he can act he must know the nature and purpose of his action. He cannot obtain his food without a knowledge of food and of the way to obtain it. He cannot dig a ditch-or build a cyclotron—without a knowledge of his aim and of the means to achieve it. To remain alive, he must think.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
more like Pete Butthead

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uglycat posted:

So you can't name a better candidate, apart from Bernie.

I actually didn't say that. At this point, I think Elizabeth "capitalist to my bones" Warren is probably better than Mayor Pete, since she seems much more committed to using the power of the presidency to crack down on Wall Street than he is. Also the case you're making for Pete sounds like A, he really is your first choice, and B, you're supporting him out of a set of values that diverge rather radically from those of most of the people in this thread.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Yesterday I announced that, as president, I’ll establish a student loan debt forgiveness program for Pell Grant recipients who re-structure entire departments using crowdsourced decision making to decide metrics to watch while favoring (open-source) big-data informed evidence-based best practices that operates for three years in disadvantaged communities.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus christ uglycat. Do you realize how singularly unpersuasive your arguments are???? You have nothing, nothing but a big load of personal anecdotes and impressions from your own lived experiences that tell you that buttigieg is far more open to leftism than he has indicated with his own words and shown with his own actions. All you have to answer KM's concerns about racism and institutional oppression is a loving gut feeling.

We're not asking you to explain why you support buttigieg!! We're asking why we should support him, or trust him to improve in the future! You have yet to offer one solitary piece of evidence that someone who is not you should believe that buttigieg is going to govern as a leftist!

and to head off your gish-gallop, i'm 100% ride or die bernie, but even if I wasn't i would support gravel, williamson, even warren a million times before buttigieg. Hell, I would support "what the gently caress!" beto if he keeps at his current new campaign style, because at least with beto I honestly believe that he is legitimately pissed off at the tolerance and support of white supremacy that is endemic in our media.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 7, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Nate Bronze has owned us once again, Bernie Bros:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1158841864000327680

If Bernie truly were electable, his donors would donate to Biden as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1158846380762456067?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people give to multiple candidates???? what the gently caress.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

The wealthy do. Access to candidates and all that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

yea the bigger your money shotgun's spread is the more access you can get

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

and to head off your gish-gallop

gently caress, that's what it's called. I knew exactly what uglycat was doing but I couldn't find a succinct way of putting it into words so I just hoped someone else could do it. Thanks, this is extremely useful.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess if you're a comfortable-rear end petty bourg type with extra cash lying around you might throw some to your second and third choices, which seems to gel with what we know about the class divide between Biden and Sanders supporters and the supporters of the rest of the pack.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Uh this doesn't sound like he's very electable then

https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/1158817297055830017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theblackw0lf posted:

Uh this doesn't sound like he's very electable then

https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/1158817297055830017

I think the actual voting days of the primaries are gonna be some big shocks. There's a massive disconnect between the 'oh Joe Biden has been in politics so long and he's a Nice Respectable Democrat, surely he's our best shot at beating Trump' crowd and...most of the party.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

"electable" has a funny way of taking on a new contextual meaning after the elections

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Majorian posted:

Nate Bronze has owned us once again, Bernie Bros:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1158841864000327680

If Bernie truly were electable, his donors would donate to Biden as well.

Funny how they used percentage of donors instead of total number so they could reduce the bubble sizes of the candidate with the most donors.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Electability" is a neat way for the party and media elites to sidestep actually having to argue for their preferred candidates on their merits.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I think the actual voting days of the primaries are gonna be some big shocks. There's a massive disconnect between the 'oh Joe Biden has been in politics so long and he's a Nice Respectable Democrat, surely he's our best shot at beating Trump' crowd and...most of the party.

One can hope! Completely shattering whatever remainder of credibility Nate still has is reason enough to turn out and vote for Bernie.

Girbot posted:

Funny how they used percentage of donors instead of total number so they could reduce the bubble sizes of the candidate with the most donors.

B-b-but 538 would never distort a chart to mislead its audience!:(

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

And then when she talks about Pete's 'Douglass Plan' she calls out how he never bothered to implement any element of it in South Bend as mayor

a mayor in a small town has a lot less space than the president
clear the lanes people, the butt-train is coming hard

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
if nobody ever mentioned pete bootyedge ever again that'd be great, imo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Less than one minute with google, people. It's not hard to source things.

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-the-true-origins-of-the-seth-rich-conspiracy-a-yahoo-news-investigation-100000831.html

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

My co-worker is relatively woke and a Democrat, but he is the same low-information voter who says, "I dunno about Bernie, he's my first choice but we need someone electable." I then ask him who out of the line-up would be his "electable" choice and he has no answer because he says he's not voting in the primary anyway.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I fight for Bernie everyday knowing I'm that much closer to taxing the gently caress out of Rob Lowe and Alyssa Milano.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1158814471923654657?s=09

another repeat of this line from racist computer man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
picturing a maltese leprechaun stalking through the finance department at Fort Youruncle'sacolonel, full battle rattle, hunting a TPS report that escaped containment

someone turns on a light unexpectedly and he just loving unloads on the closest water cooler