Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So Bonnen (supposedly) had a meeting with MQS to laugh about the queers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I mean, just redact identifying information about the lawmaker they're outing. This ain't a legit reason to keep the audio from the public.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1158817712824553472

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
So I've been back in north Texas for a year now, and I know I'm not going to find any sort of Seattle area type groups. Even though I do live on the edge of Denton in a pretty blue area of the state, any groups that I have come in contact with have been either boring old white lady groups or college kids who've read a lot of books and have very very strong feelings about things without any sort of life experiences to back that come up.

Up north I had a pretty good loose group of folks about half of us for Lefty veterans and the other half were just realistically politically aware I mean I guess you can say Democrats but a ways down the left spectrum for sure. There doesn't seem to be any sort of John Brown gun club or anything like that. Perhaps Im missing it. There's even a noticeable lack of Facebook groups.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're all in hiding.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Feels like it. every time I meet somebody new we all circle around each other for a couple hours before anybody actually talks about their political beliefs, unless their a trump / Cruz dude which in that case they automatically assume you are too and talk your ear off about the liberals (from California!) Screwing up the state by moving here.

My neighbor behind me once told me that if things get too crazy, we can band together. Hes a wackadoodle.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I moved to the Spring Branch area about a year ago, which is like 80% red. My wife and I don't discuss politics, but she let it slip to one of our MAGA neighbors I was a Democrat, and they were like "Skip?" "No way, I just don't see it" and thought she was lying about it. I avoid politics and religion like the plague though with my neighbors.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My neighbor to the right of me is a Hispanic electrical contractor and I've been living here for six months before he let slip that he was a Democrat and then braced and now we chat about it and my neighbor to the left is an old old man who is very much an Obama fan. My family is all teachers, and a split evenly down the middle. Oddly enough the very religious ones all watch Fox and parrot talking points like they got a string hanging out of their rear end well the less religious ones are all staunch Democrats with some of my immediate family edging further and further to the left as the years go by.

Also oddly enough every male member of my family serves in the military for at least one term, except one cousin I got who's a real piece of work and he's Trump youth for sure.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I put up a Beto sign in my yard and it was like some kind of bat signal because almost my entire street had one 2 days later. On the other hand, my wife and I used to hang out with this couple she met at work pretty regularly until I mentioned I sequenced DNA for a living and the guy tried to explain to me that evolution wasn't real. I just thought it was funny, but they got really busy after that and we never saw them again. I try to be more overtly leftist from the start now so I don't have to invest in friendships that are destined to die.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bird cooch posted:

So I've been back in north Texas for a year now, and I know I'm not going to find any sort of Seattle area type groups. Even though I do live on the edge of Denton in a pretty blue area of the state, any groups that I have come in contact with have been either boring old white lady groups or college kids who've read a lot of books and have very very strong feelings about things without any sort of life experiences to back that come up.

Up north I had a pretty good loose group of folks about half of us for Lefty veterans and the other half were just realistically politically aware I mean I guess you can say Democrats but a ways down the left spectrum for sure. There doesn't seem to be any sort of John Brown gun club or anything like that. Perhaps Im missing it. There's even a noticeable lack of Facebook groups.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking?
yeah my impression is that it's very much the democratic party types around your neck of the woods and they're dealing with the fact that it's a gerrymandered area so only the city council races are competitive (and even some of these are gerrymandered). while "non-partisan" the parties all run their people of course. dallas seems to be where most stuff is going on in terms of left groups or single-issue left campaigns such as immigrant rights or the recent paid sick leave campaign. and lefty shop steward types in the unions (to extent they exist)

i know there are left people around who wanna get organized though. but i think the issue is whether to just get consumed in bernie stuff or aim for something more substantive or issue-based like tenants organizing

M. Night Skymall posted:

I put up a Beto sign in my yard and it was like some kind of bat signal because almost my entire street had one 2 days later.
hahaha very true

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 6, 2019

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

bird cooch posted:

So I've been back in north Texas for a year now, and I know I'm not going to find any sort of Seattle area type groups.

You mean like, polyamorists?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cassi_pollock/status/1158844309661192193

Not great Bob

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Why did Bonnen ever take this meeting.

I'm a Texas gun toting liberal and I say SEND EM BACK

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Sardonik posted:

You mean like, polyamorists?

No. I don't really have any sort of experience with that. I seem to avoid the extremes whenever possible. That area of the nation and to a greater extent Eastern Washington and North Idaho are overrun with gun loving white supremacist and super crusty "I'm more left than you are" types on the west side. I'm sure that's where the poly folks come in. I don't really know an I don't have issue with it. Just not my cup of tea.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah my impression is that it's very much the democratic party types around your neck of the woods and they're dealing with the fact that it's a gerrymandered area so only the city council races are competitive (and even some of these are gerrymandered). while "non-partisan" the parties all run their people of course. dallas seems to be where most stuff is going on in terms of left groups or single-issue left campaigns such as immigrant rights or the recent paid sick leave campaign. and lefty shop steward types in the unions (to extent they exist)

i know there are left people around who wanna get organized though. but i think the issue is whether to just get consumed in bernie stuff or aim for something more substantive or issue-based like tenants organizing

hahaha very true

Not wanting to get involved with the Bernie madness (nothing against the guy, I felt the same way about the Obama zelots in the run up to '08) definitely limits me.

Also in this day and age, and especially in this state I'm not feverantly anti gun and community building. I think building strong support groups is going to be more and more necessary. I'm hopeful that I can find something that already exsists. I'm not that kind of leader.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bird cooch posted:

Also in this day and age, and especially in this state I'm not feverantly anti gun and community building. I think building strong support groups is going to be more and more necessary. I'm hopeful that I can find something that already exsists. I'm not that kind of leader.
yeah i agree we need more of that, but the times make the man, my friend. well it's like you were talking to your electrician neighbor who's a democrat. why not get old school with it and start a phone chain?

just be like, hey, you got a number? say, you know the right-wing crazies are getting crazier so if something happens locally then you call everyone on the chain to get to the spot, but otherwise don't use it or bug anyone through it. and that opens up space to just approach people like, hey, let's get together and talk about what's going on sometime. low pressure. because it's guys like your hispanic contractor buddy who are going to be better able to respond to any foolishness than the marxist book club kids

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 6, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so how on earth does bonnen not immediately resign? scandals smaller than this have brought down entire european governments

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

i say swears online posted:

so how on earth does bonnen not immediately resign? scandals smaller than this have brought down entire european governments

We’re 3 years into the Trump era and politicians have had plenty of time to internalize the lesson that there’s no personal gain to doing the noble thing and resigning, and your party won’t do anything drastic as long as you were a good party man, so you might as well try to ride out any scandal. (e: of course the problem is Bonnen might not've been a good party man this one time, but eh gently caress it, what's he got to lose by trying to stick it out besides dignity, and nobody gives a poo poo about “dignity” any more)

I mean poo poo, Ralph Northam is still the governor of Virginia

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 7, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah we have thoroughly and completely not only ripped the veneer of respectability and decorum off of politics, but burned it to ashes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Unfortunately for Bonnen the actual representatives might remember this better than voters (assuming they still have the majority in 2021)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
all is chaos under texas. situation... not bad actually

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I still for the life of me cannot figure out what Bonnen was thinking here

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
he's just a conniving weasel like most of the college republican dickweasels who become future leaders of the party

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Dems win and Lucio becomes speaker?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What makes you think it would be Lucio

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you wanna make a Denton county John brown gun club HMU. Love to talk about overthrowing the bourgeoisie while shooting soviet milsurp.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Badger of Basra posted:

Unfortunately for Bonnen the actual representatives might remember this better than voters (assuming they still have the majority in 2021)

Sure, he's probably not gonna be speaker anymore, but there's not much point in resigning when he can still rake in the donor money or whatever

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the worst friggin barbecue

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1158910107637428225

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If you wanna make a Denton county John brown gun club HMU. Love to talk about overthrowing the bourgeoisie while shooting soviet milsurp.
do this, but only if you call it "the best ever communist militia in denton" (BECMD)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

What makes you think it would be Lucio

Moody or Turner imo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well, when i say the situation is "not bad," the question is not bad for who. went in to the neighborhood gas station / convenience store (run by pakistani immigrants) to buy a pack of smokes this evening. the guy was listening to 104.9 which is the desi radio -- it was on a talk program where immigration attorneys take calls from people who are trying to get their papers in order. he started the order, then hesitated for a brief second at me, and flipped the radio off.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

:eng101: Vice President also-ran O'Rourke

Every generation needs a Dan Quayle! :suicide:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole local single-party hegemony thing that constantly manages to assert itself throughout the country is one of the biggest ways that democracy in our country turns into a sham.

Like I'm fully pessimistic about how well the dems would change things after seizing power, but anything is better than the same goddamn shitheels getting away with murder day after day because The Party has their back. The big hope I had for Beto was that finally the system could start cracking open, but in a presidential run, he's just some guy in a sea of whatever.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Worse than Dickey's?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Worse than Dickey's?

The only reasons you go to Bill Millers is for the sweet tea, the brown bread and the fried chicken that will just clean you out.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not worse than Dickey's. I genuinely cannot figure out what the impetus was behind Dickey's, but serving up pot roast with sauce is just not going to work in Texas even with all the Yankee transplants who don't know what the gently caress about anything.

Bill Miller's is pretty goddamn bad, though. I can't think of a worse chain place to compare it to, but Brisket Bar-B-Q in Bellaire in Houston is probably the single worst place that has actually been around for many many decades that I know of. And it's on par with Dickey's.

A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, okay, I'll eat part of this turd.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

of course the problem is Bonnen might not've been a good party man this one time

yeah that's what i mean. that's why i think he's gone. imagine a majority of those republicans get re-elected and bonnen has a <10 majority in 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell, in that situation, texas could have a gay republican speaker with dem backing, but things may be too divisive by then

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

hell, in that situation, texas could have a gay republican speaker with dem backing, but things may be too divisive by then

Abbott urges unity vs. queers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReindeerF posted:

It's not worse than Dickey's. I genuinely cannot figure out what the impetus was behind Dickey's, but serving up pot roast with sauce is just not going to work in Texas even with all the Yankee transplants who don't know what the gently caress about anything.

Bill Miller's is pretty goddamn bad, though. I can't think of a worse chain place to compare it to, but Brisket Bar-B-Q in Bellaire in Houston is probably the single worst place that has actually been around for many many decades that I know of. And it's on par with Dickey's.

A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, okay, I'll eat part of this turd.

County Line in Austin is also that special kind of terrible where you cannot figure out how it still exists. I found a $50 gift card for the place which nobody claimed so Mrs Pony and I went and we still felt ripped off.

Remember when Leffingwell said his favorite breakfast tacos were from Taco Cabana? Does all the rear end-kissing in politics rot your tastebuds out?