Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

Everyone would be making GBS threads their pants and be on fire

I think people in Fodlan just like setting poo poo on fire, Blue Lions route Gilbert of all people essentially tricks you into lighting up like half the loving monastery to give the empire some 3rd degree burns. And also the dudes I had FIGHTING the empire out there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hellioning posted:

See, now I'm glad I started with Golden Deer.

same, the most lovable band of misfits led by the best lord imo

Caidin posted:

I think people in Fodlan just like setting poo poo on fire, Blue Lions route Gilbert of all people essentially tricks you into lighting up like half the loving monastery to give the empire some 3rd degree burns. And also the dudes I had FIGHTING the empire out there...

in golden deer chapter 17, after petra's defeat, edelgard set the ballista hill on fire

even though it only had her own armor knights on it lmao

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

same, the most lovable band of misfits led by the best lord imo

in golden deer chapter 17, after petra's defeat, edelgard set the ballista hill on fire

even though it only had her own armor knights on it lmao

She does that on Lions too, good thing the only person I had up there was Professor Pope and his terrain hazard immunity!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caidin posted:

It's kind of a shame that there's no way to use Amiibo characters, now that you mention it.

Robin would feel right at home.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Hell yeah, Golden Deer was the right choice for sure

I feel like I'll probably do at least one more Golden Deer run after I do the other routes just to hang out with my good buddy Claude (who is a good kid and a huge dork) some more.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Just did Leonie and Linhardt's paralogue:

Actually that was a pretty nice and lighthearted break from politics and war. We fought a giant turtle (that was actually Indech), Flayn and Seteth got some fun and relevant to their lore dialogue with the boss, overall not a difficult paralogue but I could have done without the fog.

Cichol, Cethleann and Indech are accounted for but does Macuil ever show up?

re: Indech.
Bernie's support with Seteth talks about him a bit, too.

Edit: also, Seteth's supports generally make me like him a great deal.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 7, 2019

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

not to be all "fire emblem needs to be grimdark and serious all the time" but the death knight is just so gosh darn goofy and i feel like the game would be better if he either had a different design or was removed from the game entirely.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dropping down to Normal on New Game Plus is a fuckin victory lap

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TurnipFritter posted:

not to be all "fire emblem needs to be grimdark and serious all the time" but the death knight is just so gosh darn goofy and i feel like the game would be better if he either had a different design or was removed from the game entirely.

He seems like a conscious parody of the Black Knight, it owns.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

He seems like a conscious parody of the Black Knight, it owns.

One of the paralogues (the one that's relevant to him) lets you effectively have a duel with him vs. a fighter and a healer, too.
(Too bad I didn't actually level that fighter..)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just about to hit February of part 1 I assume just before the time skip. I'm trying desperately to recruit all of the students, and have a few questions:

1. Is there anything I should prioritize or do that I might not think of?
2. I have every student up to B-rank - some are still resisting recruitment, but I read somewhere that B rank students have a chance each week to request to join you anyway. Is this true? Should I be getting them some other way, or rushing them to A?
3. Should I focus on staff or church/knights at all before the skip, to make sure they stay with me or whatever?

Game is good though, really drat good.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 7, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

If you want to remove him from the game just point Lysithea at him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Phew, snagged Ferdinand with only a week to spare!

Gilbert is only recruitable post-skip, right?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I'm pretty willing to forgive plot weirdness or stupid choices in Edelgard's route because it's fairly obvious that path and ending was rushed and poorly written.

...huh, it's more like Game of Thrones than I thought!

(large general story spoilers) I have a stupid theorycrafting idea that might require a bit of re-writing (also I have no concrete idea of how the non-Edelgard routes end, so I might be wrong or stepping over stuff that already happens). A 'Golden Ending' DLC with all the students and the Church vs. the nobility and the Slitherers, would be a pretty nice way to wrap things up better. If the Crests and Relic Weapons were made of Rhea's people that the Slitherers butchered, and Rhea is trying to resurrect her mother, Sothis, by mashing Crests and stuff into each other, perhaps her final goal is to try and resurrect all of her people, and she can do that getting all the relic weapons together and pulling all the Crests out of everyone (without killing them - some of Lysithea's endings end with her extra crest being removed safely so she doesn't die young) to bring back as many as she can? The deal being that once she has what she wants, all the manaketes can gently caress off and not have to worry about people anymore, or something like that. Edelgard, at least, would be on board, as that accomplishes what she wants anyway - the Crests are gone, the nobility is hosed, the Church no longer has power over them, and the Slitherers are dead. Sucks for them, and you could argue sins of the father etc., but they're clearly set up to be super evil and still want to kill Rhea and co.

You could even make a bittersweet ending out of it, with Byleth leaving with the manaketes, because they're basically Sothis, breaking the hearts of all the students (and especially who you ended up pairing them with) (Edelgard for extra misery!). Or maybe they die to bring Sothis back? Or Sothis and Rhea finally have their reunion and Sothis, as a final sacrificial act to symbolize peace between the humans and manaketes, allows herself to fade away so Byleth can live the life that was always denied to them?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Omni posted:

A spoiler for Golden Eagles, Nemesis and the Crest of Flames

Reading that, I wonder at a world where that shame wasn't hidden.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Wait, as in the debut trailer? As in this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkux5h0PeXo

There's a lot more (christina vee) Edelgard than you remembered

Including dialog from the chaos route, even

I can believe chaos/edelgard/whatever we're calling it was worked on last relative to the other paths, and that probably lead to some rushed corner cutting, but I think it was added well before the showing of the game. I think they just realized they couldn't finalize it to the best they wanted, but still wanted to include Edelgard's reasons so they just reigned in some of their plans and polished the remainder. I think most of the big development after this point were overhauls or refinement on the gameplay systems (instruction, for example), balancing and engine, and if any story changes/additions were made they were relatively minor (ironing out the script, maybe minor character x did/didn't die,etc).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have almost 70 hours into this game and I can't believe I do not know the answer to this question:

Does your job affect your stats in any way save raising it to the job minimum when you pass certification?

Also: I love Dorothea and want to ship her with everybody.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ChrisBTY posted:

I have almost 70 hours into this game and I can't believe I do not know the answer to this question:

Does your job affect your stats in any way save raising it to the job minimum when you pass certification?

if you use the class weapon type you get a bonus to the skill gains, but other than that classes are just whatever

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah, each job gives a class bonus to certain stats, like Mage always gives +3 mag +2 res or whatever, and they also improve some skill gains (eg. Archers gain Bow skill faster). You can check by hitting ZL/ZR in the Certification or Reclass page to go to the Stats screen and see how the stats are changed. Hit X to see the bonuses each stat gives individually. It'll show the job minimum base stat increases too, if the unit's stats are low enough to grant any.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There are also changes to stat growths listed in the files, although I don't believe anyone's actually tested how they do or do not apply in game.

Like, Assassin's get a 20(%?) to Speed and Dex growth.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's obvious that Edie's route was hella rushed, and is very lacking in polish compared to other routes, but personally I don't get where people think El's motivation is wrong or whatever. And a lot of what people say are missing is in the route, it's just given through more side content or inferred rather stated outright. Or in some cases, El has the information wrong, after all she got it from very biased sources. From the point of her C+ support I was on team Edelgard and I cannot imagine this game without you picking her. Yes Those Who Slither In the Dark did the horrible poo poo to her, but it was because of crests and the Church. She wants to kill both. Thales has control of an army at least as big as the Imperial army and if she goes against him, Rhea will go against her. She has to take down Rhea first, and sadly she needs their power to do it because you know, she's an immortal death dragon. They mention several times that she is immortal, that she is Seiros, hell she demands her supports call her by her old name in the last few chapters. There's enough that you can get a decent picture that feels right, and works with the plot, even if it's wrong. Rhea did gently caress with your mother and father, and you're told he had the Crest of Seiros implanted in him, I forget where but that's form in game, she wants your heart, she wants to reclaim her mother, how sketchy she is before the Holy Tomb mission. Hell they even explain why El fights you at first, after your transformation she was afraid the mankete part of you had taken over and you'd side with Rhea. The biggest thing it's missing you fighting Those Who Slither. I don't know why they couldn't just reuse the Deer maps but :shrug:. Obviously I wish we'd get a patch or hell, I'd pay like 5$ for a dlc that adds in CG and extends her route to the same length as the others, but what we have is very satisfying and feels like the good route to me. Even before any reveals about Rhea I could not see fighting alongside her.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tbh the Edel route felt like a good length to me even if it is shorter. I'm almost done with Golden Deer and it really feels like its 5 or so chapters too long and needed to be condensed a bit.

The only things i would change would be adding some CG and allowing me to kill Ignatz twice

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
real quick question: currently fighting The Flame Emperor. Should I be trying to spare Metodey? He has dialogue on death, and I know in past Fire Emblems that generally meant "you just killed a possible recruitment, you idiot." I tried to not attack him, but the idiot keeps suiciding by impaling himself on Ferdinand's spear, because Ferdinand doesn't know how to not counterattack the named NPC.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

real quick question: currently fighting The Flame Emperor. Should I be trying to spare Metodey? He has dialogue on death, and I know in past Fire Emblems that generally meant "you just killed a possible recruitment, you idiot." I tried to not attack him, but the idiot keeps suiciding by impaling himself on Ferdinand's spear, because Ferdinand doesn't know how to not counterattack the named NPC.

He never shows up after, whether you kill him or not

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

quick question also: i'm post-timeskip on Edie route and i never recruited anyone and now i'm at 9 people. do i ever get the chance to get anyone else?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eimi posted:

It's obvious that Edie's route was hella rushed, and is very lacking in polish compared to other routes, but personally I don't get where people think El's motivation is wrong or whatever. And a lot of what people say are missing is in the route, it's just given through more side content or inferred rather stated outright. Or in some cases, El has the information wrong, after all she got it from very biased sources. From the point of her C+ support I was on team Edelgard and I cannot imagine this game without you picking her. Yes Those Who Slither In the Dark did the horrible poo poo to her, but it was because of crests and the Church. She wants to kill both. Thales has control of an army at least as big as the Imperial army and if she goes against him, Rhea will go against her. She has to take down Rhea first, and sadly she needs their power to do it because you know, she's an immortal death dragon. They mention several times that she is immortal, that she is Seiros, hell she demands her supports call her by her old name in the last few chapters. There's enough that you can get a decent picture that feels right, and works with the plot, even if it's wrong. Rhea did gently caress with your mother and father, and you're told he had the Crest of Seiros implanted in him, I forget where but that's form in game, she wants your heart, she wants to reclaim her mother, how sketchy she is before the Holy Tomb mission. Hell they even explain why El fights you at first, after your transformation she was afraid the mankete part of you had taken over and you'd side with Rhea. The biggest thing it's missing you fighting Those Who Slither. I don't know why they couldn't just reuse the Deer maps but :shrug:. Obviously I wish we'd get a patch or hell, I'd pay like 5$ for a dlc that adds in CG and extends her route to the same length as the others, but what we have is very satisfying and feels like the good route to me. Even before any reveals about Rhea I could not see fighting alongside her.

The issue is you're again, ONLY looking at this from Edelgard's side, and thus you're ignoring literally all additional context. You're only looking at this from the route that paints her in a good light, not any additional information which explains in depth why her motivation is busted.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Florina sucked Farina was cooler

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blue Lions, post-timeskip, chapter 16

ahhhhh what the gently caress are you doing letting that girl into our loving monastary you should have loving stabbed her the second she walked up and was shocked by Captain Bummer and his Eyepatch.

Also I'm very glad Dedue is back, i honestly had kinda given up on ever seeing him again. Dedue is a good De-dude.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

The issue is you're again, ONLY looking at this from Edelgard's side, and thus you're ignoring literally all additional context. You're only looking at this from the route that paints her in a good light, not any additional information which explains in depth why her motivation is busted.

I mean true, but all the same, I think of the current actors, Rhea is the least justified. What happened to her is horrible but she's immortal and has more blood on her hands than even full on villain Edelgard could ever dream of. Nothing could justify her to me, nothing. I'm watching other playthroughs on youtube but the other leaders motivations don't click with me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He never shows up after, whether you kill him or not
good, because I didn't feel like divine pulsing his rear end back to life more than once

also I sided with Edelgarde against the church :black101:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man the last lions mission is difficult on hard. Poor Dedue was getting poo poo on I had to leave him cowering in a corner. The game is really fun on the hard setting and makes you use your items and abilities. On normal I was just whacking everyone with iron sword + attacks right up to the end. Feels good to unleash all your sweet relics and gambits to get rewarded by the game. I also got basically all the best friends forever endings except Ingrid and Seteth hooked up and eventually retired to a fishing hamlet lol.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Tae posted:

Everyone would be making GBS threads their pants and be on fire

sounds like an upgrade to me but I chose Golden House from the start.

v :) v

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 7, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Yeah you start with Golden Deer and get all that info, then read people arguing for Edelgard and it's like lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JBP posted:

Yeah you start with Golden Deer and get all that info, then read people arguing for Edelgard and it's like lol

TBH, I haven't finished Golden Deer yet but to me it sounds the other way around: like some people here have no clue what Edelgard's motivations even are.

And/or they attribute crimes to her that don't actually happen in her route?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Onmi posted:

Here's the thing with Edelgard. She's Lelouch or she's Light Yagami, or she's several other 'well-intentioned extremists' who you can totally understand their position just from hearing their ideology, but their actual actions are not excusable. The moment Edelgard decided "Dimitri and Claude need to die, because I'm gonna conquer their lands eventually" is the moment where you need to go "...That's not right." The moment she permitted and excused the deaths that happened under her command, including the personal ones for Byleth, are the moment she lost any claim for the moral high ground.

For the record, this is what I like about Edelgard. She isn't a good person, she has good ideals, but those ideals are driven by a single-minded desire to accomplish them no matter the actual costs. Lashing out at the system not carring how much blood soaks the soil. As others have said, both Dimitri and Claude's endings also represent a positive shift in society for Fodlan, which puts into perspective that her way was not the only way... but that's the good part? The good part is that these characters all could have worked together to make a brighter tomorrow, but they're kinda hosed in the head. They're traumatized youth's who frankly don't even know what the gently caress is really going on in the world, They're making decisions they aren't frankly qualified to make.

Three Houses actually kinda asks you the player "Why is Edelgard's pain more valid than Rhea's? Why's Rhea more valid than Dimitri? Why is Dimitri more Valid than Claude." Everyone's had bad things happen to them, what makes one of their trauma's and suffering, worth more than another persons... nothing beyond your decision. Edelgard was tortured as a child, and she's a victim of the crests, sure. The same crests that Those that Slither made in the first place, by butchering all of the manaketes.

I think you make some good points here, but I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of Edelgard. She has flaws, of course, and there are certainly valid criticisms to be made about her plans, but I would argue very strongly that she is fundamentally a morally better person than anyone else in the story. If that sounds like an absurd claim, I suspect it's because of a drastic difference in how we think about morality. I'm reminded of Mark Twain's quote about the two "Reigns of Terror"; people are taught to recoil in horror at aggressive violence, but we are likewise taught to be complacent about systemic violence. Unlike everyone else in Fódlan, Edelgard really does see "that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves". You act like Edelgard is motivated by her pain, but that's a fundamental difference between her and Dimitri or Rhea. If Edelgard were merely motivated by her pain, she would simply work against Those Who Slither and leave the Church alone. But she is not (primarily) motivated by her pain; more than any other character she is motivated fundamentally by her ideals. She knows that the Church is built on lies and oppression, and that the nobility is the same, and she wants to fix it.

The best way to think of Edelgard, frankly, is as a revolutionary. It's counter-intuitive because she's an emperor, of course, and because on a surface level she evokes aggressive, self-aggrandizing rulers that are so common not only in Fire Emblem games but in fiction more generally. But she does call herself a revolutionary at one point, and that is fundamentally the best metaphor for what she's doing: she is using temporarily violence to end a system of permanent violence. She doesn't care about her own power except insofar as it allows her to fix the world; her greatest desire is to finally have the ability to give it all up and live peacefully. But she is so strongly motivated by her own moral compass that she simply wouldn't be able to live with herself if she did that. And yes, she is willing to sacrifice people along the way for the greater good (although on the Black Eagle route, at least, she is consistently shown as being hyper-aware of the human cost of what she's doing, and never does anything lightly). It's very easy to see any reference to the greater good as an excuse, of course, but personally I think that the attitude that political change should never be remotely violent is a little naive. I don't want to veer too far into real-life politics, so I'll leave it at that, but in the end I feel like anyone who thinks that Edelgard is automatically the bad guy because she started the war should really think about the implications of delegitimizing all political violence.

But of course even then, it depends on agreeing that what Edelgard wants is right. And this is the part I find even more interesting, frankly, because it really gets into the great contradiction at the heart of so much fantasy fiction, not least of all pretty much every previous Fire Emblem game. The fact of the matter is that regardless of what you think of her methods, everyone should be able to agree that Edelgard's goals are far, far better than those of anyone else in the game, because she has a far more modern moral compass than anyone else in the story. In a series built on inherited powers and superior noble bloodlines, she recognizes how awful that is. She sees the absolute horror inherent in feudalism, in state religion, in quasi-eugenic breeding programs. All of these are things that should horrify any decent person in real life, and yet we accept them in stories and games in large part because it's fun to put ourselves in the position of the destined lord or the chosen one or whatever else. And to be clear, that's okay in and of itself, but when confronted with a story that actually challenges those things, it's kind of horrifying to me that so many people think that fighting to preserve all that is morally righteous as long as you're nominally on the defensive. Fundamentally, all of the other routes are fighting to preserve a broken world that none of us would be willing to accept in real life (unless maybe we were lucky enough to be the ones in power - and even then we'd be lovely people for doing so). Sure, all of the other routes nominally end with things improving, and Claude, Dimitri, and even Rhea can turn into decent enough people with Byleth's help. But none of them fix what is fundamentally broken; many of the characters reject nobility and the crest system personally, but only Edelgard is willing to try to destroy it entirely.

I think it's telling that in the other three routes Byleth keeps Sothis's power and ends up as the ruler of Fódlan, the Church, or both. You get to be the big special hero - the most important person in the world - forever. But if you help Edelgard, you are rejecting that. Byleth stops being some destined chosen one and reverts into a regular mortal. You don't rule over anything, even if you marry Edelgard, because she only stays emperor as long as she needs to to complete her goals. You're still a hero, of course, but because of what you do, not who you are. It's honestly amazingly refreshing, and to me it is unambiguously the best ending (even despite feeling like it was cut a bit short).

So yeah, that's basically my take on Edelgard. I genuinely think that she is the morally best person in the game, and for that matter she's probably one of my favourite video game characters ever (for more reasons than just that, of course, though a large part of it is how much it makes her stand out).

Onmi posted:

I'd say that it's probably the most fair to judge any of the characters chiefly by how they behave as protagonists. But beyond that I'm not even really sure what this means. I've only played Black Eagles all the way through, but I've seen plenty about the other routes and have yet to see any problem with her motivation besides maybe the fact that she doesn't know the full story of the battle between Seiros and Nemesis... but the fact that Seiros's actions are slightly more understandable than Edelgard thinks doesn't make any difference to the problems that she has with the Church.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would also like to note that in Edelgard's route, Dimitri's faction comes across as completely monstrous with no redeeming values. I mean, I assume there's more to him than that, but you certainly don't see it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 7, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Even on his own route, Dimitri is Khorne's favorite son https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWDg2pI8GE&feature=youtu.be&t=35

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I still think it's neat how you can kind of grasp thru your first couple runs just how far each of the three fall without the Professor. Edelgard becomes sullen and withdrawn and just a regular old despot. Claude doesn't do anything of note because he's rudderless, has lost faith in his ideals and is just scheming for the sake of it. Dimitri and Rhea just straight up go insane. They're all incredibly broken and I think it makes them more endearing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Clarste posted:

I would also like to note that in Edelgard's route, Dimitri's faction comes across as completely monstrous with no redeeming values. I mean, I assume there's more to him than that, but you certainly don't see it.

The Lions run actually makes everyone kind of empathetic, It's good. I want to start eagles immediately so I can see what happens. The PC changes a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm just annoyed that you can only use Edelgard/Hubert for 18 maps and the 1/3 is post-timeskip. Lame!