Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It's kind of wild to see just how differently each faction is portrayed in each route. I played Blue Lions first and more than half of the time post-timeskip is all the decent Faerghus folk desperately trying to keep Dimitri's poo poo together as he spirals into insanity, ultimately bringing it together for the denoument, while the Empire are unrepentant monsters and the Alliance are a bunch of useless twits.

I'm playing Deer now, excited to see how things change (though I'm sure Edelgard will still be a monster.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viscardus posted:

I think you make some good points here, but I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of Edelgard. She has flaws, of course, and there are certainly valid criticisms to be made about her plans, but I would argue very strongly that she is fundamentally a morally better person than anyone else in the story. If that sounds like an absurd claim, I suspect it's because of a drastic difference in how we think about morality. I'm reminded of Mark Twain's quote about the two "Reigns of Terror"; people are taught to recoil in horror at aggressive violence, but we are likewise taught to be complacent about systemic violence. Unlike everyone else in Fódlan, Edelgard really does see "that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves". You act like Edelgard is motivated by her pain, but that's a fundamental difference between her and Dimitri or Rhea. If Edelgard were merely motivated by her pain, she would simply work against Those Who Slither and leave the Church alone. But she is not (primarily) motivated by her pain; more than any other character she is motivated fundamentally by her ideals. She knows that the Church is built on lies and oppression, and that the nobility is the same, and she wants to fix it.

The best way to think of Edelgard, frankly, is as a revolutionary. It's counter-intuitive because she's an emperor, of course, and because on a surface level she evokes aggressive, self-aggrandizing rulers that are so common not only in Fire Emblem games but in fiction more generally. But she does call herself a revolutionary at one point, and that is fundamentally the best metaphor for what she's doing: she is using temporarily violence to end a system of permanent violence. She doesn't care about her own power except insofar as it allows her to fix the world; her greatest desire is to finally have the ability to give it all up and live peacefully. But she is so strongly motivated by her own moral compass that she simply wouldn't be able to live with herself if she did that. And yes, she is willing to sacrifice people along the way for the greater good (although on the Black Eagle route, at least, she is consistently shown as being hyper-aware of the human cost of what she's doing, and never does anything lightly). It's very easy to see any reference to the greater good as an excuse, of course, but personally I think that the attitude that political change should never be remotely violent is a little naive. I don't want to veer too far into real-life politics, so I'll leave it at that, but in the end I feel like anyone who thinks that Edelgard is automatically the bad guy because she started the war should really think about the implications of delegitimizing all political violence.

But of course even then, it depends on agreeing that what Edelgard wants is right. And this is the part I find even more interesting, frankly, because it really gets into the great contradiction at the heart of so much fantasy fiction, not least of all pretty much every previous Fire Emblem game. The fact of the matter is that regardless of what you think of her methods, everyone should be able to agree that Edelgard's goals are far, far better than those of anyone else in the game, because she has a far more modern moral compass than anyone else in the story. In a series built on inherited powers and superior noble bloodlines, she recognizes how awful that is. She sees the absolute horror inherent in feudalism, in state religion, in quasi-eugenic breeding programs. All of these are things that should horrify any decent person in real life, and yet we accept them in stories and games in large part because it's fun to put ourselves in the position of the destined lord or the chosen one or whatever else. And to be clear, that's okay in and of itself, but when confronted with a story that actually challenges those things, it's kind of horrifying to me that so many people think that fighting to preserve all that is morally righteous as long as you're nominally on the defensive. Fundamentally, all of the other routes are fighting to preserve a broken world that none of us would be willing to accept in real life (unless maybe we were lucky enough to be the ones in power - and even then we'd be lovely people for doing so). Sure, all of the other routes nominally end with things improving, and Claude, Dimitri, and even Rhea can turn into decent enough people with Byleth's help. But none of them fix what is fundamentally broken; many of the characters reject nobility and the crest system personally, but only Edelgard is willing to try to destroy it entirely.

I think it's telling that in the other three routes Byleth keeps Sothis's power and ends up as the ruler of Fódlan, the Church, or both. You get to be the big special hero - the most important person in the world - forever. But if you help Edelgard, you are rejecting that. Byleth stops being some destined chosen one and reverts into a regular mortal. You don't rule over anything, even if you marry Edelgard, because she only stays emperor as long as she needs to to complete her goals. You're still a hero, of course, but because of what you do, not who you are. It's honestly amazingly refreshing, and to me it is unambiguously the best ending (even despite feeling like it was cut a bit short).

So yeah, that's basically my take on Edelgard. I genuinely think that she is the morally best person in the game, and for that matter she's probably one of my favourite video game characters ever (for more reasons than just that, of course, though a large part of it is how much it makes her stand out).

I think this covers, in addition to other matters, why the comparison earlier felt unfair.

Like McGillis, Edelgard wants to destroy the system she feels made her childhood a living hell. But unlike McGillis, she actually noted Rustal's observation that there was no value in challenging a system while deriving legitimacy entirely from the system.

McGillis, ultimately, was motivated by a personal vendetta. He wanted to make sure no-one would hurt him any more, so he tried to rewrite the system to be king of the mountain forever.

El, meanwhile, tosses her power aside at the first chance she gets, and delays hunting her personal demons because she believes the system in general (the one that could be working for her) is worse.

Also, unlike McGillis, on her route she actually has someone she trusts as an equal.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

That said I'd much rather see, like, Edelgard in Smash. An axe-using female lord would be a way more interesting addition than Fire Emblem Sword-User #8.

it is i, the chrome from the fire embl

Blaziken386 posted:

real quick question: currently fighting The Flame Emperor. Should I be trying to spare Metodey?

Besides what other people have said... who the hell is this guy, anyway? He doesn't show up before that mission, and not afterwards either on the Edelgard route at least. Is he just some rando they meant to make a bigger character out of or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Man, this whole Edelgard conversation really bums me out, because it's so obvious what they wanted to do with her character and her route but just... couldn't, for one reason or another. Resources, time, any number of factors.

Still better than Conquest, at least.
edelgard rules and did nothing wrong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She did some things wrong but they are part of why she rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She did some things wrong but they are part of why she rules.
i suppose it is bad that she doesnt explicitly turn to the camera and go 'also gay marriage is legal now,' but at least its implicit. rhea is the stereotypical closeted homophobe, dimitri is the violent bigot, and claude is the centrist 'gay rights can wait' type. it is only through edelgard's definitive and decisive leadership that the lgbt community can be liberated, as proven by the eagles' plethora of gay romance options compared to the other houses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/Fawnduu/status/1156393348506234880

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i suppose it is bad that she doesnt explicitly turn to the camera and go 'also gay marriage is legal now,' but at least its implicit. rhea is the stereotypical closeted homophobe, dimitri is the violent bigot, and claude is the centrist 'gay rights can wait' type. it is only through edelgard's definitive and decisive leadership that the lgbt community can be liberated, as proven by the eagles' plethora of gay romance options compared to the other houses.

Dimitri is clearly closeted too. He's just not into teachers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dimitri is clearly closeted too. He's just not into teachers.
dimitri's relationship with his sexuality is complex enough to make him one of the deepest fire emblem characters

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i have to imagine that all of the C supports with Cyril are like, actual conversations that kids adopted from some foreign (read: non-white) place have had with ignorant white people in the past, they're just so uncomfortable.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Endorph posted:

dimitri's relationship with his sexuality is complex enough to make him one of the deepest fire emblem characters

Not really. He's a murdersexual. Just look at that raging murder boner.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

That's a big call.

I just know he and Dedue are definitely an item.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ingrid is probably the only fully straight person in the game. Everyone else is at least a 1, 1.5 on the Kinsey scale.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i feel like the writers who came up with the tragic back stories for the Blue Lions just kept topping each other.

"Well one should probably have a father who left."

"And one should have a father who repeatedly attempts to force them into a marriage to raise his status"

"not just one though!"

"Oh most def. I think one should have a father who loved his brother more, and then his brother dies and their relationship is real bad."

"Oh yeah, well i think one should have a father who you're forced to kill because he betrays the church"

"Oh of course. i think one should have a brother who you're forced to kill as a giant monster because he resented that their father hated him"

"Oh yeah, well i think one should have their entire family get slaughtered right in front of them!"

"And that guy's brother should be another one's fiancee!!"

"Oh yeah??!?! well i think one should have their entire race completely genocided out of existence!!!!!!"

"woah"

i would hate to be the staff therapist for these devs. So many dead fathers and brothers

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's the same for the Black Eagles. Most of the well-adjusted people are in the Deers, but even they have their share of woes.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I really want Lorenz to gently caress off forever, hopefully his supports give me some reason to not think he's a creepy, self-important weirdo. And not, like, the good kinda weirdo.

And Hilda has gotten 3 two-stat levels so far, what the gently caress is wrong with Deer House.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Okay so I was pretty tired of the endgame when the Golden Deer lore exposition dump happened, I may have missed this, but I have a question about the crests:

So I get that the weapons were made of dragon corpses. Wasn't it the crest stones that were made out of their hearts? How did people get the genetic crests that get passed down then? I mean Rhea just shoves the main one in a baby to give them the crest of flames, but that uses the stone. Also they said you need the stone and the appropriate crest to not turn into a horrible monster.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My current level 9 Leonie has 3 less speed than my endgame warmaster level 32 Caspar, I love Fire Emblem

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Does anyone know how the NG+ crest items work? They're under the consumables tab in the inventory, but they can't actually be consumed. Is it enough to put them in the inventory of whoever you want to have the crest? It doesn't show up in the character details screen so I can't confirm that it works.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the same for the Black Eagles. Most of the well-adjusted people are in the Deers, but even they have their share of woes.

These kids have it rough, and you really feel for them. And then later you kill them.

It's good stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really wish the game hadn't included a fantasy nuke. I know I shouldn't focus on that, because the writers certainly didn't, but I can't help it! The existence of fantasy nukes changes everything! Crests are now an outdated form of warfare, so are church dragons, which makes what Edelgard and everyone else are doing completely pointless. It's the atomic age! We're one gearing up for Fire Emblem: Fallout.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 7, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

It's actually pretty neat that Edelgard (and Dorothea) are one of the only ones who end up being gay for non-byleth characters depending on their supports. Are there any others?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arkeus posted:

It's actually pretty neat that Edelgard (and Dorothea) are one of the only ones who end up being gay for non-byleth characters depending on their supports. Are there any others?

From what I've heard Annette and Mercedes basically get married in their paired ending.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 7, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Nice spoiler tag

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man I like Bernadette a lot but oof her stats. Level 12 with 9 strength? Her magic caught up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Quite a few of the characters have same sex paired endings that are pretty drat gay. Not as explicit as Dorothea's tend to be but also you don't really need a literature degree to know what the writers are saying with them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man I like Bernadette a lot but oof her stats. Level 12 with 9 strength? Her magic caught up.

The good news is at level 20 you can drag that all the way up to 17 in Sniper through pity stats. My Bernadetta was sorta meh till then but once she hit the pity growths and got Bowfaire she became a murder machine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arkeus posted:

Several.

Manuela has paired endings with those two, Annette and Mercedes have a paired ending that's very romantic, Dimitri and Dedue do too, Shamir has a couple with Catherine and Leonie. Linhardt and Caspar have a thing, as you might expect.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's like a goddamn FBI document in here with all the black bars, also I think a golden route where everyone lives and the world is in perfect harmomy yay, would be real stupid, like the absolute worst, this is what happens when you have the Dynasty Warriors devs make a game, conquest and war and people being stomped all over.

I like the fact that Edelgard and Dimitri aren't sparkling superheroes who just need to beat that gosh darned evil cult and everything's saved, the fact that people in this very thread are melting down over this proves its working as intended.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

On the one hand, yeah, a copacetic ending would be unbearably saccharine and out of synch with the game's overall tone.

But on the other, I love all my beautiful anime children and want them to live happily ever after.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Judge Tesla posted:

It's like a goddamn FBI document in here with all the black bars, also I think a golden route where everyone lives and the world is in perfect harmomy yay, would be real stupid, like the absolute worst, this is what happens when you have the Dynasty Warriors devs make a game, conquest and war and people being stomped all over.

I like the fact that Edelgard and Dimitri aren't sparkling superheroes who just need to beat that gosh darned evil cult and everything's saved, the fact that people in this very thread are melting down over this proves its working as intended.

What about an ending where no one lives?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Like those Mass Effect runs where you kill everyone possible so when Shepard is making his big speech at the end there's, like, maybe one or two people still alive to listen.

I think you can lose everyone but your house leader and keep going, right? I wonder if the game comments on that at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently you can also recruit almost everyone but the house leaders and have the other houses be like, 2 people each (I don't know who isn't recruitable)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You can always tell the people who are playing on Hard because they mention keeping Gilbert alive in the Lance of Ruin chapter.
I've played/seen that level played six times now on Normal and I've not even seen the guy get hurt.

Spoilers for the Death Knight and also for Mercedes.
I had Mercedes and Caspar specifically to get the death knight Paralogue and it never popped. They had good support (well it was a C) but my girlfriend has that paralogue in the list and they're not even at C for her. I was on BE and she was on Lions.
It's a shame because he feels a major character but we can't do anything with him and never see anything about him without that paralogue.

Next up Flayn
In golden deer am I explicitly going to learn who they are? I get the clues and I've had some people mention it to her so I'd kinda thought it anyway before people said it here but it still seems weird.
The level with that tortoise I never realised that was a saint either since there's no Flayn in my party to say it to me

Ages ago there was a game called Dragon Force, it was on the Saturn. It had eight playable sides including one very like Edelgard in this, but you couldn't play that side until you'd won at least once.
It does seem like it'd work better that way here too because I've missed so much stuff!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They should just make an AU DLC route where everything ends well. It satisfied everyone!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Its the house leaders and their second in command who are generally unpoachable. I say generally because it is possible to poach Hilda if you’re not following Edelgard. So basically, the only truly unpoachable ones are Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue and Claude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Apparently you can also recruit almost everyone but the house leaders and have the other houses be like, 2 people each (I don't know who isn't recruitable)

It depends on the route.

For Blue Lions its only Claude, Edelgard and Hubert.

For Golden Deer its Dimitri, Dedue, Edelgard, Hubert and Gilbert.

For Black Eagles it depends on the route. Minor spoilers

Edelgard path locks you out of Dimitri, Dedue, Claude, Hilda, Cyril, Catherine, Seteth, Flayn and Gilbert.

Church path locks you out of Dimitri, Dedue, Claude, Edelgard and Hubert

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Someone jusy spoil who the death Knight is please, I'm not gonna unlock that paralogue anytime soon

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ChaosArgate posted:

Its the house leaders and their second in command who are generally unpoachable. I say generally because it is possible to poach Hilda if you’re not following Edelgard. So basically, the only truly unpoachable ones are Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue and Claude.

After playing Golden Deer Hilda definitely isn't second in command. Claude hasn't got one.
If you're blue lions Hilda is just treated totally normal, it's only BE that she's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aw nobody cares enough about Claude to stay in the house with him :(