Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was genuinely the worst performing PS4 game I've ever played so be extremely cautious

The Xbone X version didn't run too well either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bombadilillo posted:

Doom 3 shotgun is the worst shotgun in games with the stupidest unrealistic spread .

Change my mind.

look at this youngster that never played the Action Quake mod and used the sawed-off double-barrel shotgun.

Also pretty much every CoD game has it beat, as well as every Halo starting with 3.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I do hope Pillars of Eternity keeps the Big Head mode. Once I turned it on, I never turned it off--the hats with antlers and feathers looked so great.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm glad the 3DS Fire Emblems seem to be the odd ones out. Birthright is the only one I've played and while I really liked the gameplay, everything else in the game was pretty awful (the story, the relationship stuff, all the filler busywork between missions...).

I'll definitely give Three Houses a try at some point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elman posted:

I'm glad the 3DS Fire Emblems seem to be the odd ones out. Birthright is the only one I've played and while I really liked the gameplay, everything else in the game was pretty awful (the story, the relationship stuff, all the filler busywork between missions...).

I'll definitely give Three Houses a try at some point.

If you disliked stuff happening between missions, Three Houses may not be for you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

If you disliked stuff happening between missions, Three Houses may not be for you.

I've heard it's actually interesting this time around, though? In Birthright you were basically just repeating the same actions in town after every mission, ocassionally doing an optional mission that was way too easy and not nearly as interesting as the main ones.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I miss being able to rescue and shove characters at will. Yes I know shove is a combat art now, but it’s limited to so few classes that it might as well not exist. Getting more options to manipulate the positions of your character is a hugely interesting feature in a game like FE.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I often think of that mission in either PoR or RD where you shove the poo poo out of a pile of priests

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

I often think of that mission in either PoR or RD where you shove the poo poo out of a pile of priests

The Radiant duo were the best ones, I loved the strategy using the Laguz, since they were super powerful, but timed, combined with regular tactics stuff. Shove was also a great addition.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

On the anime cheese scale how does the new Fire Emblem compare to Fates?

More anime in that you’re literally in anime highschool and doing actual honest to god Persona style S Links and gifting people stuff to make them like you

Less anime in that the story doesn’t bend over backwards to make you the good guy chosen way and so far at least makes you do some stuff you disagree with (unlike Fates which magically made you the good guy even when working for the evil wears all black team)

Also the politics are well thought out and are not, literally, black vs white

Snake Maze posted:

Gameplay-wise it's a bit worse than conquest (the fundamentals are fine but even hard is boringly easy) but apparently they're patching in Lunatic later so maybe that will help?

The way I’ve been describing the gameplay is it’s a lot more RPG and less FE. The actual battles are a bit simpler because you’ve lost stuff like the weapon triangle, but making every character a blank slate and then tying their potential to stuff you can customize during the non battle portion is honestly pretty great, I’m really into how they handled it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The way I’ve been describing the gameplay is it’s a lot more RPG and less FE. The actual battles are a bit simpler because you’ve lost stuff like the weapon triangle, but making every character a blank slate and then tying their potential to stuff you can customize during the non battle portion is honestly pretty great, I’m really into how they handled it.

Yeah, the customization is fun, there's just never anything to encourage you to engage with the system because you can just steamroll everything with no effort.

I used gambits against non-monster enemies all of once, despite the fact that having a single soldier damage and lock down a group of enemies is incredibly powerful, because I could always just kill everything instead. It took until the final map to find a boss capable of doing double digit physical damage to Edelgard. Healers can recover ~80% of someone's max health from literally halfway across the map while still being just as good as anyone else at combat. I never bothered giving any of my mounted units the "remove mounted weakness" shield because I never found a single enemy that had effective weapons. And so on, it's pretty crazy even before you get to the 11 mulligans every battle.

I'm still really enjoying Three Houses, but I really hope Lunatic makes the gameplay more engaging.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

A buddy of mine is interested in getting a Switch to play online with me but I don't know what games would work with him. He's a CoD/Halo Xbox guy but was deployed and didn't bring his console. Are there any online shooters or something besides Fortnite that would appeal to him? Also is there any way to have voice communication without that Nintendo app?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1159000068302622720

The Switch Lite and possible future iterations will feature state-of-the-art IGZO displays that provide similar graphical output with smaller power usage.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Social Animal posted:

A buddy of mine is interested in getting a Switch to play online with me but I don't know what games would work with him. He's a CoD/Halo Xbox guy but was deployed and didn't bring his console. Are there any online shooters or something besides Fortnite that would appeal to him?

Splatoon is extremely good, though it's not exactly a military shooter.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Elman posted:

Splatoon is extremely good, though it's not exactly a military shooter.

It's the most fun I've had with a shooter ever. It's pretty and colorful and the weapons and play styles are very inventive. Playing with people is not obvious though, thanks Nintendo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the single player campaign and expansion in splatoon 2 but not particularly the competitive multiplayer. I also like the horde mode but that's never available reliably.

I would like to play a longer single player campaign with a better hub and more levels and story.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

There is other games in that series called Tactics Ogre, iirc the latest one is Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. Though OB64 was the last version of that type of Ogre Battle gameplay, Tactics Ogre plays more like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I do wish there would be something else like OB64. Sure you couldn't directly command your troops in battle, after a few attacks the battle would end, but dammit if didn't enjoy it. Felt a bit more like you're commanding an army, you'd need extra units to chase down runners and keep track of the AI trying something sneaky. Instead of just doing a beatdown with your main character being a ninja or some other OP class.

I think I may have "Let Us Cling Together" lying around somewhere in my shelves. Huh, somehow never made the mental connection to OB64.

Anyway, I remember our local Nintendo-magazine at the time had this huge article explaining how advancement of units work in OB64, with detailed graphs and everything and I was insanely jealous for not having a N64. Since then I couldn't stop thinking about that game.

Now that I think about it, when I tried out OB64 on an emulator years ago, it felt a lot like playing Soul Nomad, a favorite of mine. Hell, now I wish I had more time to play games

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Anybody here pick up the Collection of Mana? I've played Secret of Mana to death, but I never played the GB title, and never beat Trials of Mana.

I did, and I got sidetracked just before entering the Mana Fortress. The game is still good! Leveling up magic is as tedious as ever, though. The GB title is simple, fun and good god make sure you always have keys with you. Also make sure to have a save outside whatever dungeon you want to walk in, just in case.

Secret of Mana 2 is a game I really like, but I had no time to really play it with the new translation. (I played on an emulator a lot before, but never got higher than like lvl. 24 or something.)

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Some new forms for Sword/Shield.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1159091171987116032

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
That goddamn Weezing is wearing a top hat. Two top hats! And it has a dapper mustache!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That goddamn Weezing is wearing a top hat. Two top hats! And it has a dapper mustache!

Ree-Smogg, Esq.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

LeFishy posted:

Ree-Smogg, Esq.

Holy poo poo

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Now that's the ugliest drat bong I've ever seen.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

More anime in that you’re literally in anime highschool and doing actual honest to god Persona style S Links and gifting people stuff to make them like you

It's not literally an anime high school though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's an anime high school where you're training them to kill dissidents for the church.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anime military academy

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

excellent

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LeFishy posted:

Ree-Smogg, Esq.

This is a very good joke for those not au fait with the shitshow that is british politics right now

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just made a teenager kill his brother this game rules

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

I both love and hate what that Weezing is

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

regional forms were cool as hell so consider me surprised that they didn't abandon it after one gen

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's my little buddy pokemon right there. Gotta have my pickup squad.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fire Emblem was one of my favorite series in the last gen, but every time I get excited to go buy the new one I watch a little bit of someone streaming it and ...

I think maybe the knife-fighting of Into the Breach may have spoiled me on "8 characters lazing their way across the map" style tactics games.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

You know these are not bad at all

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like the single player campaign and expansion in splatoon 2 but not particularly the competitive multiplayer. I also like the horde mode but that's never available reliably.

I would like to play a longer single player campaign with a better hub and more levels and story.

Salmon run has way better availability now. It's up 24 or 36 hours at a time with a 6 hour gap between sessions. It's pretty hard to land on a down time now.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I don't want to hear anyone badmouthing my muscular glam rock raccoon man

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I've never played a real Fire Emblems game even though I've played the phone one and a ton of FE Warriors. Is waiting until the big final DLC in March 2020 and then picking it up a solid plan?

poo poo, that's when Animal Crossing comes out.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Huxley posted:

Fire Emblem was one of my favorite series in the last gen, but every time I get excited to go buy the new one I watch a little bit of someone streaming it and ...

I think maybe the knife-fighting of Into the Breach may have spoiled me on "8 characters lazing their way across the map" style tactics games.

This is a good way of thinking about it. Into The Breach forces conflict early and you often need to triage a situation with only a few moves and most of them bad. Fire Emblem allows you to absorb and avoid danger. At least in the first few months. I haven't gotten too far.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PeePot posted:

I've never played a real Fire Emblems game even though I've played the phone one and a ton of FE Warriors. Is waiting until the big final DLC in March 2020 and then picking it up a solid plan?

The dlc looks mysterious at the moment. And I beat 1 of 3 houses in 60 hours.

So content is fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PeePot posted:

You know what's an even more solid plan?

Buying Fire Emblem right now