Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

So speaking of jungling, I just played a game. I was pos4 support with wind ranger in the offlane; the safe enemy lane had a trilane of legion commander, wraith king and shadow shaman. At 3 minutes, legion hosed off into the jungle for 10 minutes, farmed boots and a monkey king bar (because this is sub2k MMR hotness). I stayed in lane with wind ranger and we ended up doing pretty well, but the legion commander ended up running away with the game, for that and other reasons.

What was the right move in this situation? We had faceless void with jakiro in safe lane vs. a solo centaur; should I have called to the jakiro to rotate and we just gank the legion command until she went to the small jungle?

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/4951813752

The best answer is probably to ignore the LC and sit mid with your Alch and stack camps so he doesn't get firmly put into the dumpster. A jungle free farm LC really shouldn't be very scary if your team keeps vision up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The big thing that strikes me as suspect is if you ignore one of your two MMRs for awhile, then play the other one, and end up in way lower games than you should be and stomp things. Even support players at a high mmr can clown games a few hundred mmr lower than they are typically.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

MoaM posted:

The new matchmaking update brings ranked roles to base matchmaking. You're now MMR'd with Core / Support values or something; no party/solo MMR.

That post is kinda long, needs to be re-written.

Tentatively excited for this. Although this isn't the first or last time valve has said they'd do something only to ignore it 6 months later.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Elman posted:

Honestly I'm having trouble believing that the same Icefrog that consistently came up with brilliant changes every patch suddenly went crazy and decided to turn the game into EM, force 2-1-2 and kill the jungle, offlane and trilanes.

(sorry, I blame Underlords for reopening old wounds :arghfist::saddowns: )

The change so that you can't drag the first wave for literally no reason other than lane creeps will totally ignore you feels very much like a not-icefrog change

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

valve should remake boata.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/764050/Maelstrom/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just got my first conduct summary with a 10,000 behavior score. I’m not a perfectly well-mannered player now or anything but I must be substantially less toxic than I used to be.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The change so that you can't drag the first wave for literally no reason other than lane creeps will totally ignore you feels very much like a not-icefrog change

Not-icefrog change just means thing I don't like, Dota is built on weird interactions and exceptions like that.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Not-icefrog change just means thing I don't like, Dota is built on weird interactions and exceptions like that.

usually those exceptions were just relics of the game dota was built out of that players learned how to use to their advantage, not something the developer intentionally created to neutralize a strategy.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Do you think first wave creeps moving faster down safe lane is any different?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Do you think first wave creeps moving faster down safe lane is any different?

Isn't that a post TI3 change? That's around the time when these kinds of changes started (along with massive comeback gold and broken Aghanims for everyone).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Isn't that a post TI3 change? That's around the time when these kinds of changes started (along with massive comeback gold and broken Aghanims for everyone).

Case in point

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elman posted:

Honestly I'm having trouble believing that the same Icefrog that consistently came up with brilliant changes every patch suddenly went crazy and decided to turn the game into EM, force 2-1-2 and kill the jungle, offlane and trilanes.

(sorry, I blame Underlords for reopening old wounds :arghfist::saddowns: )

i had taken a lengthy break and during the period he had killed the offlane and i had no idea so my first game back i'm like why am i three levels behind.

that is NOT boata.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

what is this? asymetric pvp? or is it coop VS big rear end monsters? Looks sweet from the first video

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I saw a lot of hate for the patch before that where the offlane was about stealing creeps and the safelane was about last hitting under tower.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I saw a lot of hate for the patch before that where the offlane was about stealing creeps and the safelane was about last hitting under tower.

Offlane is still about stealing creeps, just look at the most common/successful offlane picks. You just don't do it on the first wave anymore, or you pick Dark Seer and walk along the creepwave so they die without aggroing you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sab669 posted:

what is this? asymetric pvp? or is it coop VS big rear end monsters? Looks sweet from the first video

it's pvp but the population cratered pretty quickly so it's bots. the monsters act like the circle in battle royale games.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I played a few games in the sub2k mmr wasteland last night with the matchmaking changes and was very happy with the result. Every game I played was (relatively) high quality. None of them stomps, and each one I lost, I could reasonably well pinpoint why e lost.

I also narrowed down my list of characters to 3 per position, except for p1, which I have little desire to play. But my list was a little wonky. Whose everyone's favorite offlane supports? What are the good offlane supports in the current meta? Is there different selection criteria for p5 vs p4 support?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I played a few games in the sub2k mmr wasteland last night with the matchmaking changes and was very happy with the result. Every game I played was (relatively) high quality. None of them stomps, and each one I lost, I could reasonably well pinpoint why e lost.

I also narrowed down my list of characters to 3 per position, except for p1, which I have little desire to play. But my list was a little wonky. Whose everyone's favorite offlane supports? What are the good offlane supports in the current meta? Is there different selection criteria for p5 vs p4 support?

some good 4s right now are ogre magi, earthshaker, clock (are people still picking tinker?), tree, sand king, rubick, lina, mirana, phoenix, and of course pudge.

The difference between a 4 and a 5 is that a 4 needs an item like blink to do well where as a 5 only needs levels(like warlock or crystal maiden).

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 7, 2019

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

MoaM posted:

The new matchmaking update brings ranked roles to base matchmaking. You're now MMR'd with Core / Support values or something; no party/solo MMR.

That post is kinda long, needs to be re-written.

Defaulting people to selecting every option was a bad move. Had two games in a row where I picked support first, the player marked as mid second picked not-mid, and no one else wanted to adjust the role they were going to play. Instant screaming over chat/mic after the last pick. This is in high legend/low ancient ranked games.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 7, 2019

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's not meta or anything but Venge as a 4 in dual lanes is pretty fun, especially if paired with an offlaner that can pressure the carry. She clicks super hard early levels with a blight stone and some stats.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Bear in mind that while it's often better, the 4 doesn't have to be the offlane support. Sometimes you lose the lane if you send two melee there, or no one can nuke for the ranged creep CS, or whatever. I guess that standard developed out of the old roamer meta but it's not inherently needed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My Unranked All Pick games with my 2 friends continue to be absolutely terrible. We decided to try Ranked to check out these new "Role MMR" changes... And we couldn't queue because "MMR is too different" or something like that - I don't know the exact message. None of us are calibrated, but my friends have 100-500 games each (500 probably on the very high end) whereas I have 2400+. My Win-Loss just dropped below 50% since I started playing again [with these 2]. Their Win-Loss according to DOTABuff is 42-43%

After that we decided to just do Unranked and I was like, "Huh - I wonder if the game just sandbags us with the newest of newbs to give the other team "a fair match"?" and then we get into a game and our pub Phoenix says, "Be patient with [other pub] please, this is his first game against real players"

So yea. I guess if I'm queuing with my 2 friends my MMR is probably much higher than theirs and then I just can't carry our crap pubs. I often pick last and just fill in whatever we need - which is often Support.

I don't want to smurf, but I don't to play DOTA if 2/5 of my team every game is going to be people who have basically never played before...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2019

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Never play dota with people you know irl

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.dota2.com/summerscrub

huge bugfix patch including some low level changes like decreased input lag, performance improvements, etc

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

dr.acula posted:

Never play dota with people you know irl

Friends don't let friends play DotA together.

Scary accurate.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The best games are with your friends though :shrug:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Johnny Truant posted:

The best games are with your friends though :shrug:

If a game of Dota dosen't cause anger and resentment is it really a game of Dota?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Treant owns right now

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Here's a dumb dota question for you guys (I am not very good yet)

If I play something like Dazzle and try to shallow grave someone and they are out of range, more often than not it will end up casting it on myself despite clearly clicking them and I don't understand why - is this a smart cast setting I need to disable or something?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Krolm posted:

Here's a dumb dota question for you guys (I am not very good yet)

If I play something like Dazzle and try to shallow grave someone and they are out of range, more often than not it will end up casting it on myself despite clearly clicking them and I don't understand why - is this a smart cast setting I need to disable or something?

is this with smart cast on?

sounds like you have smart cast on and spam the button but have double tap casts on self and it results in that

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Kild posted:

is this with smart cast on?

sounds like you have smart cast on and spam the button but have double tap casts on self and it results in that

That must be it, thanks - I'll have a look in the options menu again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Speaking as someone that went from 7000~ behavior score to ~10,000, I have to agree with the people that have always said it's flawed and doesn't really work organically. The people at 7000 are more likely to report you and less likely to commend you.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Since the bug fix update, I've had some real fuckin weird bugs. Had a game where at least one person would crash after every void chrono. Got a Grimstroke taunt, previewed it, closed the preview, and it kept playing on an infinite loop. Started and finished a game, as soon as the game was done the Grimstroke taunt audio started playing again.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It really is a pretty good feeling to not have to be immediately bummed out for being forced into playing 5 pos for like the fifth game in a row due to people fighting on the pick screen. I like playing support but I also like not being forced to do it as my video game job

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

sugar free jazz posted:

Since the bug fix update, I've had some real fuckin weird bugs. Had a game where at least one person would crash after every void chrono. Got a Grimstroke taunt, previewed it, closed the preview, and it kept playing on an infinite loop. Started and finished a game, as soon as the game was done the Grimstroke taunt audio started playing again.

ES Arcana Ult crashed me out everytime while I was playing Silencer in one game, luckily we won.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

sounds like the summer scrub has been a success

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

After the summer scrub patch I got the Earthshaker Planetfall popup again when I started the game, then it immediately crashed.

Next startup I got the Invoker kid persona popup again, then it immediately crashed.

Further attempts to start the game result in an immediate crash.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is a patch but a miserable pile of bugs

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Cache 2 is almost gone, last chance to get stuff ranging from "ehhh" to pretty nice to

If anyone here has unopened cache sets from cache 1 or even previous years, I bought an extra set of Cache 2 treasures chasing the lava beard and I'm wondering if anyone would be up for gift swaps. I'm willing to do 1:1 with Cache 1 stuff from this year (depending on the set, I won't try to trade you that lovely bloodseeker set for your very rare PA set) and willing to do multiple sets for last year's stuff (mainly looking for that night stalker set from last year if anyone has a spare for trade, but apparently its going for $65+ so im not holding by breath I could do bird + extra sets).

Sorry for hat trade chat but I really don't trust many non-goons to not just block me after I send them hats, and most goons won't scam someone over $2 to $5 of digital hats...probably. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lovely Wizard posted:

Cache 2 is almost gone, last chance to get stuff ranging from "ehhh" to pretty nice to

If anyone here has unopened cache sets from cache 1 or even previous years, I bought an extra set of Cache 2 treasures chasing the lava beard and I'm wondering if anyone would be up for gift swaps. I'm willing to do 1:1 with Cache 1 stuff from this year (depending on the set, I won't try to trade you that lovely bloodseeker set for your very rare PA set) and willing to do multiple sets for last year's stuff (mainly looking for that night stalker set from last year if anyone has a spare for trade, but apparently its going for $65+ so im not holding by breath I could do bird + extra sets).

Sorry for hat trade chat but I really don't trust many non-goons to not just block me after I send them hats, and most goons won't scam someone over $2 to $5 of digital hats...probably. :colbert:

Lmfao you spent money on hats in 2019