Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sgt Fox posted:

Best not to jam a conductive staple into a port with exposed power pins.... I usually use a zap tie cut at a sharp angle.

Eh, it's low voltage and designed to be dunked in semi conductive liquid, it'll probably be fine. But zip tie will give you a stiffer thing to poke with at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Spotted a New England unicorn the other day. Looked pretty good besides the rear wheel arch rust though that means there is more hiding, sadly. Sorry about my dirty windshield.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I started off doing it with the phone on, then figured what the hell and turned it off. Also, you're really scraping the area around the connector, not the connector itself.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Bajaha posted:

Eh, it's low voltage and designed to be dunked in semi conductive liquid, it'll probably be fine. But zip tie will give you a stiffer thing to poke with at least.

Yes, probably fine, there is fusing and protection diodes and current limiting... but why risk it? Its never a great idea to short power and ground.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MomJeans420 posted:

Double posting because yolo - I had posted in here a while back looking for better USB-C cords because they wouldn't stay plugged in to my Pixel 2, changing cords didn't help so I finally googled it and found the correct fix. Lint had built up in the USB-C port, and while you could press the cord in enough to charge, it wouldn't let the cord get in far enough to lock into place. Every time you pushed the cord in, any lint hanging out got pushed farther back and more compacted. I spent 5 mins with a staple just scraping out all the lint (there's more than you can see at first), and now I can hang my phone from the original cable and it won't fall out.

Never had this problem with any phone before, must be something about the dimensions of the USB-C port.

Its been a bit of a known issue with iPhones with the lightning port for a long time too- Its something about that port dimension because the old 30 pin connector didnt accumulate like that and USB doesnt because of the little plastic protrusion in it.

Im cleaning sawdust out of my iphone charge port at least once a week because of my job.

In other news, Im looking at a THIRD battery system for my landcruiser, supplemented with a solar array. Apparently running dual 40L fridges (one as a -18c freezer) as well as all the other camp lights and things is too much for a single 100AH battery, so im going to up my 2nd battery capacity to 200AH by adding another battery, then dropping 200w of solar into the mix so when im parked up camping I can keep my beers ice cold.

Im also thinking of strapping a 110w panel onto the roof rack and just keeping it wired up 24/7 so when im parked at work it keeps the batteries topped up

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Double posting because yolo - I had posted in here a while back looking for better USB-C cords because they wouldn't stay plugged in to my Pixel 2, changing cords didn't help so I finally googled it and found the correct fix. Lint had built up in the USB-C port, and while you could press the cord in enough to charge, it wouldn't let the cord get in far enough to lock into place. Every time you pushed the cord in, any lint hanging out got pushed farther back and more compacted. I spent 5 mins with a staple just scraping out all the lint (there's more than you can see at first), and now I can hang my phone from the original cable and it won't fall out.

Never had this problem with any phone before, must be something about the dimensions of the USB-C port.

My iPhone 5S did this, so I assume any iPhone with a Lightning port also will. I cleaned it with a wooden toothpick.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I used to repair phones and probably the most common issue with an iPhone charging port is it being packed full of lint.

I dug lint out of a few hundred phones, with a pair of steel tweezers, and destroyed exactly zero charging ports/phones doing so.

With any lightning or usb-c port, if the connector doesn't go all the way inside the port, then there's probably lint packed into it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 7, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Finally had to replace the 7 year old battery in my Mazda.
Did batteries always cost $150?
I'm sure I got robbed because it was stone dead and I couldn't wait for my dad's costco card (where they are apparently $80 somehow).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our batteries are $90-110 for standard flooded 12v, and we're still at a 50-60% margin at that price. I assumed the price at a auto parts store was just a profit maker with minimal effort, because when you need a battery you need it right now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

I'm sure I got robbed because it was stone dead and I couldn't wait for my dad's costco card (where they are apparently $80 somehow).

You got robbed because the core cost is tiny these days.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If its not anything fancy like an Optima or an AGM or Lithium then yeah, they shouldnt be that expensive.

Unless you Live in Australia. Where an Optima Yellowtop is a $450 battery...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

If its not anything fancy like an Optima or an AGM or Lithium then yeah, they shouldnt be that expensive.

Unless you Live in Australia. Where an Optima Yellowtop is a $450 battery...

They start at $325 (about $360 for you) here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fermented Tinal posted:

You got robbed because the core cost is tiny these days.

Who returns batteries for the core cost anymore?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Who returns batteries for the core cost anymore?

I do? Though it's also part of the deal for the warranty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh, I got the core back. All $18.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nm posted:

I paid $260 for my last battery, an X2 power AGM, made in USA, 5 year non prorated warranty. Going on 6+ years in a car that is driven about once every 3 weeks, only failed to start once in the dead of winter after 8 weeks of sitting, and that was over a year ago. I feel like I got my money's worth. Also I know it's completely stupid but I love that it's blue and silver like my car:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I wish I could have just bought the OEM battery, which was a made in japan panasonic. 7 drat years.
It died at the gas station and barely could hold enough charge to start this afternoon, so I had to buy what was available, which was whatever autozone had.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

They start at $325 (about $360 for you) here.

They WERE $600-700 6 or so years ago, but then someone else got an import licence for them so theres actually some competition in the market now. Im dreading having to replace batteries in my rig once I get the third one setup.... $450 Optima Yellowtop crank and then dual 100AH Powersonic Deep Cycle AGM's at $400 a pop...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I know I'm in a more unique situation but Costco batteries are super great ESPECIALLY since if you are an executive member batteries themselves count. When I need two at a time regularly that poo poo adds up.

EDIT

Who wants to go to SPACE

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 7, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Someone on my street is selling a 1991 BMW 850i V12 with 112k km (~70k miles) on it for $12.5k CAD (~$9500 USD) and I am having a VERY hard time thinking of reasons not to go to the bank for a loan of a few thousand dollars

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Total dream car but doesn’t that thing run two seperate ECU’s and just cost an absolute fortune in maintaining?

I guess what I’m saying is, do it :getin:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kazinsal posted:

Someone on my street is selling a 1991 BMW 850i V12 with 112k km (~70k miles) on it for $12.5k CAD (~$9500 USD) and I am having a VERY hard time thinking of reasons not to go to the bank for a loan of a few thousand dollars

At what other point are you going to be able to own a v12 for that much cash?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*cough*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You mean own two conjoined but almost fully separate BMW inline sixes that is virtually equivalent to maintaining two full, 30 year old, BMW vehicles? What could go wrong.

I love the 850, always have, but would never entertain the folly of owning a V12 version. The V8 is a much better choice if you actually want a vehicle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

meatpimp posted:

You mean own two conjoined but almost fully separate BMW inline sixes that is virtually equivalent to maintaining two full, 30 year old, BMW vehicles? What could go wrong.

I love the 850, always have, but would never entertain the folly of owning a V12 version. The V8 is a much better choice if you actually want a vehicle.

We'll this isn't a very AI attitude is it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just bought an Acura. That's obviously clouding my thought process.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Went and test drove a Mazda 6 wagon. 2.0 165 horsies. Top of the line and a slushbox, I'm getting neither.

Cliff notes:

THE GOOD
  • 8k RPM redline!
  • Seat fits me like a glove.
  • Holds a gear in "sport" mode.
  • HUD is awesome.
  • Ventilated seats!
  • Does get out of its own way.
  • Tinted rear windows are standard on all trim levels.

THE BAD
  • No ISOFIX on front passenger seat.
  • Coming from a BMW M leather steering wheel the one on the mazda feels thin and plasticy.
  • Doesn't feel like 165HP.
  • Lane assist is annoying
  • So are the other nanny features
  • And the electric parking brake
  • Comes with a loving CD player. In TYOOL 2019. Dafuq.

All in all I'm not madly deeply in love. Looks fantastic, though!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As much as a I *love* the 850i....... dealing with the constant barrage of issues they have would prolly take any energy I have left to spare. I got no money so..... lovely Subarus it is

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As much as a I *love* the 850i....... dealing with the constant barrage of issues they have would prolly take any energy I have left to spare. I got no money so..... lovely Subarus it is

If you've already got your hands full with a car with issues then yeah it makes no sense. If you're looking at them though then subconsciously you want the drama and pain because it's obviously lacking elsewhere in your life...

Out of interest, who has the most problematic basket case car on this forum anyway?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 7, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bolind posted:

THE BAD
  • Coming from a BMW M leather steering wheel the one on the mazda feels thin and plasticy.
  • Doesn't feel like 165HP.
  • Lane assist is annoying
  • So are the other nanny features
  • And the electric parking brake
  • Comes with a loving CD player. In TYOOL 2019. Dafuq.

All in all I'm not madly deeply in love. Looks fantastic, though!

You can turn off most of the nanny poo poo usually.

Also CD players are awesome what's wrong with you :colbert:

Also might want to research if Mazda fixed the bearing issue with the 6's slushbox before you buy. I was considering a used one until I found out about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 7, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If any goon buys an 850 I will help them convert to a single standalone ECU. Hell, I'll build them a megasquirt and wire it up if they supply the parts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Out of interest, who has the most problematic basket case car on this forum anyway?

*Kramers in out of nowhere, completely oblivious to the prior conversation*

'Sup, guys?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

You and the dude with the Dodge van with the electrical system from hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I snagged a used Fitbit Charge 2 off of eBay for a whopping $35. My original Charge finally died after several years, and it didn't do heart rate monitoring anyway.

:stare:

That's just since midnight, screenshot right after I got in the car to leave work. It logged 9600 yesterday... about 2/3 of that from 10pm-midnight going by the graphs. No wonder I'm dropping weight... also, no wonder my jeans seem really tight on my calves now.

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

I think he said it was the 3.5.

Stepdad got a '19 2.7 recently and gets 20+ in it as well - and that's all city streets, mostly short drives (work is 15 minutes away, while the grocery store is literally around the corner from the house). Really pisses me off when he brags about 600+ miles a tank when I can't even get 250. :argh:

He traded in an '01 F-150 with the 5.4 for it, and he swears the 2.7 is much faster, even says it's a bit faster off the line. Guessing the turbos spool up real quick on it. Or the 5.4 was way down on power (very likely; he got it with about 30k and a ripped K&N filter, and never replaced the filter... essentially running no air filter for over 100k).

Ferremit posted:

im going to up my 2nd battery capacity to 200AH by adding another battery, then dropping 200w of solar into the mix so when im parked up camping I can keep my beers ice cold.

This is a man who has his priorities straight.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tossup between KillHour, the Dodge Van, and my Saturn.

I've stopped giving a poo poo about anything except tires, brakes, and AC on mine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 7, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DAMNIT

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sgt Fox posted:

Best not to jam a conductive staple into a port with exposed power pins.... I usually use a zap tie cut at a sharp angle.

The pick end of a dental flosser works well, too. Had to do that with the Lightning port on my iPhone for the same reason - the cable would just fall out. Also good for cleaning the hand salsa out of grooves in mice and such (why, yes, I'm a computer janitor. Why do you ask?)

McTinkerson posted:

If any goon buys an 850 I will help them convert to a single standalone ECU. Hell, I'll build them a megasquirt and wire it up if they supply the parts.

Oh, I like this idea.

STR posted:

DAMNIT

Quote is not edit?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

lol hell no.
3.5L

I'm sitting at 22mpg despite my attempts at doing worse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

'Sup, guys?

[Laugh Track Intensifies]

bolind posted:

THE BAD

Is this a thing elsewhere? I've never seen LATCH / ISOFIX on a front seat in the US in anything with more than one row of seating.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

McTinkerson posted:

That is one hell of a :toxx:!

I kid

How hard is it to make 2 Barras have a common crankcase? Asking for a friend...

slothrop fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KillHour posted:

'Sup, guys?

Refresh my memory?