Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hot take: I think Trick Attack needs to die for the good of the Ninja Class. As long as it's in game and in the state its in, it'll be the fulcrum point by which the class is balanced. If they do too many positive changes, the class goes back to "100% manditory must take" for Savage/Ex content. with too little giving you the current state of the class where it's basically a joke. Look at DRG - decoupling the -piercing resistance from the class and turning it into a personal damage buff allowed the DRG to stand on it's own and be really competitive rather than being the guy who makes the BRD/MCH look good. Trick Attack really just ought to be a personal +damage buff that doesn't affect anyone else and then they can bring NIN dps back in line with MNK, DRG, and SAM.

As far as making the class less cludgy? I could see a use in dropping mudras and just having all those abilities just be generic OGCDs that share cooldowns that way you're not needing to invoker ever 20 seconds.

Edit: As much as I would love this game to have hard support classes analagous to an EQ Bard or Enchanter, I think that would of needed to be on the ground floor from day one and balanced around it. EQ1 parties were specifically 6 man and group meta was balanced around at least one of the slots being a support slot like said bards, chanters, and shaman. I think if there were to be a hard support class, mechanically it would of been better to have it as a dedicated class and group slot for it. It could have had to have been set up such that groups were like, 5 man with a tank, healer, 2 dps, and a hard support with the latter housing things like NIN, BRD, Time Mage, Geomancer, and the like. That ship has unfortunately sailed though, and it probably is best that support stays fairly shallow lest that encounters not get balanced around it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Admittedly I only have my rogue class at 20ish but Trick Attack seems like useless garbage because Hide sucks. I can't use it on bosses because Hide doesn't work, I'm not going to use it soloing because Hide is too slow and I'll just kill the mobs, I'm genuinely not sure what good it is unless Ninjas get something down the line that makes it good. Honestly the poo poo attacks through 20 are why I haven't tried to get to Ninja, it's so loving unsatisfying to play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rantmo posted:

Admittedly I only have my rogue class at 20ish but Trick Attack seems like useless garbage because Hide sucks. I can't use it on bosses because Hide doesn't work, I'm not going to use it soloing because Hide is too slow and I'll just kill the mobs, I'm genuinely not sure what good it is unless Ninjas get something down the line that makes it good. Honestly the poo poo attacks through 20 are why I haven't tried to get to Ninja, it's so loving unsatisfying to play.

At 50 they get a mudra letting them use Trick Attack at any time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rantmo posted:

This is exactly what happens. Ninjas get an ability that lets them use skills that normally require Hide without being hidden.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Kerrzhe posted:

my AST is like 52 now and i have really no idea how you're supposed to play healer in this game

edit: also i am alphinaud

For AST, try to have card buffs going on people as often as possible, and try to get 3 different seals for optimal damage buff from Divination. Otherwise, I usually do a lot of my healing with Aspected Benefic/Helios, spot heal with Benefic II (rarely benefic I), larger spot heals with Essential Diginity (post tank buster or oops-i-got-distracted-playing-cards-and-the-tank-is-low). If you're in single man content, it's dealer's choice on which Sect you use (I prefer Noct these days since I can pre buff/heal with a shield and not get aggro from regen ticks) otherwith for 8 man coordinate with the other heals (Noct if your other heal is WHM, Diurna for SCH, and whatever the other AST didn't pick/Not both Noct for AST). You get more oGCD heals a bit later (earthly star, horoscope, the celestial spells) and those can replace some of your GCD heals later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Live Letter just mentioned something about making the ARR Main Scenario "more compact" according to the official translation, aiming for 5.3. I wonder if that will include changes to Castrum/Praetorium. Certainly some of the 2.x stuff could stand to be squished, hope the original ARR story stays mostly the same however. Well just in case stuff changes I better get all the MS Roulette free exp I can now.

Wait. Wait...

quote:

Q43:
I feel like the amount of time/effort required to level desynthesis and the returns don't match. Do you have plans to make major changes to the desynth system?

A43:
Will be making large changes to Disciples of the Hand and Land-related systems in 5.1. Desynthesis rates will be changed to be 100% guaranteed, no need to level up skills. Desynthesis will be something used when you have a surplus of something. That’s the plan we have in mind. I’ll provide more details on this when we’ve solidified the details.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 7, 2019

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
Desynth finally going away as a weird pseudo-leveled skill is amazing. It was for sure one of the worst vestigial ARR crafting bits that kept getting dragged with each expansion but never really overhauled like it needed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mrfishstick posted:

Desynth finally going away as a weird pseudo-leveled skill is amazing. It was for sure one of the worst vestigial ARR crafting bits that kept getting dragged with each expansion but never really overhauled like it needed.

I completely agree and I said something to this effect a while back, the fact that I could never be assed to ever level my desynth skill despite maxing my DoHs/DoLs every expansion definitely factors in though.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

quote:

A43:
Will be making large changes to Disciples of the Hand and Land-related systems in 5.1. Desynthesis rates will be changed to be 100% guaranteed, no need to level up skills. Desynthesis will be something used when you have a surplus of something. That’s the plan we have in mind. I’ll provide more details on this when we’ve solidified the details.

gently caress, I was just about to grind this out for Weaver, thanks Yoshi for saving me a lot of time!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did they say what changes they were going to make for SMN? or just that they were looking at it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Did they say what changes they were going to make for SMN? or just that they were looking at it?

Nothing concrete. The need to push lots of buttons was mentioned, and they floated the idea of increasing Ruin potency based on the number of summoner dots on the target was floated (not sure why they'd go this direction, Fester already has an identity crisis), and they're aiming for 5.08. It's a "high priority".

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

gently caress, I was just about to grind this out for Weaver, thanks Yoshi for saving me a lot of time!

:same:

Glad my laziness won out

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

Q43:
I feel like the amount of time/effort required to level desynthesis and the returns don't match. Do you have plans to make major changes to the desynth system?

A43:

DSGHDD LDKSVNLKDUFYHLA DNKVcxxbvdsGGFDF MY CUL DESYNTH

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zandar posted:

The healer could absolutely run out of MP on Aiatar in ARR Brayflox, since the MP refresh ability wasn't until 38 and there was a lot of random poison damage going around. You really didn't want to use Cure 2 unless you had to. I assume this hasn't been the case for a while given Lucid's lower level and potency changes in general, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone was still going off their old experiences.

Can you elaborate on what new experience is? I'm used to healer design that has a weak-but-efficient heal and a strong-but-inefficient heal, which Cure and Cure II seem to fit.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Magil Zeal posted:

Nothing concrete. The need to push lots of buttons was mentioned, and they floated the idea of increasing Ruin potency based on the number of summoner dots on the target was floated (not sure why they'd go this direction, Fester already has an identity crisis), and they're aiming for 5.08. It's a "high priority".

I think they meant possibly removing ruin increasing in potency with # of dots since this is currently how ruin works in shadowbringers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Can you elaborate on what new experience is? I'm used to healer design that has a weak-but-efficient heal and a strong-but-inefficient heal, which Cure and Cure II seem to fit.

In general, the goal for healers in FFXIV is to use as few hard cast heals as possible to maximize DPS uptime. This usually involves maintaining your HoT on the MT (Regen/Diurnal Aspected Benefic/fairy's autocast heal) and using oGCD actions to respond to spikes in damage, only resorting to cast time heals when you either can't keep pace with the HPS requirement of a fight or when something unexpected happens (e.g. a bunch of people get hit by an avoidable mechanic at once). MP in the modern paradigm is mostly a gate on the number of resses you can throw out in a fight.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Hot take: I think Trick Attack needs to die for the good of the Ninja Class. As long as it's in game and in the state its in, it'll be the fulcrum point by which the class is balanced. If they do too many positive changes, the class goes back to "100% manditory must take" for Savage/Ex content. with too little giving you the current state of the class where it's basically a joke. Look at DRG - decoupling the -piercing resistance from the class and turning it into a personal damage buff allowed the DRG to stand on it's own and be really competitive rather than being the guy who makes the BRD/MCH look good. Trick Attack really just ought to be a personal +damage buff that doesn't affect anyone else and then they can bring NIN dps back in line with MNK, DRG, and SAM.

As far as making the class less cludgy? I could see a use in dropping mudras and just having all those abilities just be generic OGCDs that share cooldowns that way you're not needing to invoker ever 20 seconds.

According to one of the translations they did say Trick Attack is staying for the big Ninja rework in 5.08 but they will discuss its potential removal at another time. They apparently also said one of the things they discussed is making the Mudras work a bit more like the dance steps because they think the two systems are kind of trying to do something similar and that the dance steps are a better implementation.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
drat. Mana management is my favorite part of healing. Though I used to get (friendly) jibes for DPS-parsing as a healer in WoW, so I can appreciate a game that expects healers to do more than heal.

e: How's Astrologian? It looks like a metric ton of fun with the setup payoffs and non-static rotation of abilities. I haven't enjoyed WHM much, and the higher level abilities that I see in the ability list don't look like they'd change it. Never liked Holy Priest's playstyle in WoW and WHM looks like the same thing but with more damage.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 7, 2019

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My guess on that desynth thing is that they're probably just going to bind it to your DoH level in the relevant discipline right? I can't see that they would just open the floodgates at 4.1 to everyone desynthing everything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Corbeau posted:

drat. Mana management is my favorite part of healing. Though I used to get (friendly) jibes for DPS-parsing as a healer in WoW, so I can appreciate a game that expects healers to do more than heal.

oGCD management has largely taken the place of MP management for healers. It's a system that's mostly meant to narrow the gap between the lowest and highest percentiles: players who are bad at managing oGCD resources will always have a secondary resource (MP-gated GCD heals) to fall back on. You can still run yourself dry if you spam GCD heals a lot, and coordinating with the other healer in Savage raids to ensure you aren't wasting MP on overhealing during AoE phases is important.

Corbeau posted:

How's Astrologian?

It's a lot of fun, but it's also a very busy job. You have the most oGCDs out of any of the healing jobs, something that's reflected in your main damage spell (Malefic) having a shorter cast time than other damage spells, giving you a brief period after each cast to weave in an oGCD. This creates a fun flow that's starkly different compared to the other healers, since you're constantly evaluating your oGCDs and figuring out how to optimally fit them in between each Malefic cast. It's worth giving it a try, although you might struggle with it: it involves a lot of rapid swapping between party members and mobs to apply card buffs, and I know you mentioned not liking click targeting much. You might want to give SCH a try if you're still finding that the case, as a good amount of their healing comes from non-targeted or infrequently targeted actions (fairy's Embrace, Excogitation, Sacred Soil, Whispering Dawn, etc.).

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 7, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Though I've nearly capped GSM desynth and LTW isn't far behind, I'm glad I did them gradually instead of grinding them out.

Also my previous advice was unintentionally prophetic

isk posted:

but seriously don't level desynth

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been using <mo> macros on non-damage spells to make healing bearable. I don't see why that would change, so targeting isn't an issue unless the slight delay totally derails the rotation.

e: Ironically Resto Shaman - my favorite healer by far back in Legion - was very like what you describe but in reverse, with instant-cast damage spell procs to weave into movement between channeled healing casts. I enjoyed that a ton.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 7, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What's the macro trick for dropping click targeted AOEs on your current target again? Manually dropping them is irritating enough I'd like to bypass it if it's not a horrible dps loss or such. :effort:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
"As a side note, we’re working on adjusting the A Realm Reborn main scenario to be more compact, and are aiming for patch 5.3."

That's interesting and welcome to hear. I wonder what they plan to axe? Some of fetch quests I assume.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Corbeau posted:

I've been using <mo> macros to make healing bearable. I don't see why that would change, so targeting isn't an issue unless the slight delay totally derails the rotation.

It will impact your overall DPS, since you'll start clipping into your GCD with a mouseover macro. Each oGCD consumes 0.65-0.7s~, and you've got about 1s to weave after each Malefic, a period that'll decrease at max level once you start getting inherent spell speed on your gear. You've only got about 0.20s-0.30s of leeway at most, and the non-queued nature of macro actions means that you'll begin to lose DPS as a consequence as a fight goes on.

Click casting can feel awkward after playing WoW for long enough, but it's a skill that's easy enough to relearn. The predictable nature of incoming damage in FFXIV and its comparatively slower pace means that you have enough time and foresight to start hovering over a party member before you actually have to target them, which makes swapping targets fairly trivial. The only time I have trouble with it is if I'm fighting one of the rare bosses that has a higher than normal hitbox, as my preferred method of targeting (camera and distance based) can muck up and not retarget after I hit Tab if my camera isn't pointed up enough.

OhFunny posted:

"As a side note, we’re working on adjusting the A Realm Reborn main scenario to be more compact, and are aiming for patch 5.3."

That's interesting and welcome to hear. I wonder what they plan to axe? Some of fetch quests I assume.

Probably condensing quest chains down to require fewer steps and cutting out superfluous time wasters. They actually did a minor version of this once already: one of the first post-ARR MSQ's you had to pick up made you go and run normal Sunken Temple of Qarn and a loving guildleve before you could continue, something that they got rid of around Heavensward.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 7, 2019

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have a question, or more accurately a request for advice.

I've been playing through the main quests as a Paladin and now a Gunbreaker, and when I've felt like a break from doing that (which started during the large of quests between ARR and Heavensward) I decided to level a Healer by doing a few dungeons every now and again. I've got a White Mage to level 42 right now and I'm enjoying playing it but I thought I'd unlock and give Astrologian a go for a couple of levels but this class seems a lot more complex, and I'm finding when things are a bit crazy on boss fights I forget to use the cards and get a bit overwhelmed (although to be fair that's happening more as the dungeons get mor ecomplex on the white mage too, even though I have done them once or twice as a tank). I'm not so good at healing, but no-one seems to be dying or unhappy with me at least!

I do like the aesthetic of the Astrologian a lot more, arcana and stars draw me in much more than stone and air to be honest, and I like the idea of card mechanic if I can get a handle on it. However I have been told that Astrologian isn't very good compared to the other healers, particularly at high levels. I suppose what I'm asking is; should I carry on as the White Mage, especially if it is better further on into the game? Or should I try to get a handle on the Astrologian and level that instead?

EDIT:

Vermain posted:

oGCD management has largely taken the place of MP management for healers. It's a system that's mostly meant to narrow the gap between the lowest and highest percentiles: players who are bad at managing oGCD resources will always have a secondary resource (MP-gated GCD heals) to fall back on. You can still run yourself dry if you spam GCD heals a lot, and coordinating with the other healer in Savage raids to ensure you aren't wasting MP on overhealing during AoE phases is important.

It's a lot of fun, but it's also a very busy job. You have the most oGCDs out of any of the healing jobs, something that's reflected in your main damage spell (Malefic) having a shorter cast time than other damage spells, giving you a brief period after each cast to weave in an oGCD. This creates a fun flow that's starkly different compared to the other healers, since you're constantly evaluating your oGCDs and figuring out how to optimally fit them in between each Malefic cast. It's worth giving it a try, although you might struggle with it: it involves a lot of rapid swapping between party members and mobs to apply card buffs, and I know you mentioned not liking click targeting much. You might want to give SCH a try if you're still finding that the case, as a good amount of their healing comes from non-targeted or infrequently targeted actions (fairy's Embrace, Excogitation, Sacred Soil, Whispering Dawn, etc.).

I just saw this post above, and that's helpful despite answering someone else! I didn't realise Astrologian had a lot of oGCDs, and it sounds like they are very different styles of healing. Now I'm even more unsure. Maybe I could level both at some point, maybe the White Mage first.

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 7, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RoboJoe posted:

However I have been told that Astrologian isn't very good compared to the other healers, particularly at high levels.

They were after the ShB launch, but they recently received adjustments that, as far as I can tell, have made them perfectly competitive with every other healer.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 7, 2019

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Kitfox88 posted:

What's the macro trick for dropping click targeted AOEs on your current target again? Manually dropping them is irritating enough I'd like to bypass it if it's not a horrible dps loss or such. :effort:

I think it's something like /action "NAME" <target>, but I haven't used it myself so not sure offhand. I still need to set it up as an option for Earthly Star on my AST.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Astro was in a rough spot on the expansion launch but they're much better now.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kitfox88 posted:

The one I've been using for years is something like:

/ac "Spellname" <t>
/ac "Spellname"
/micon "Spellname"
/macroerror off

It'll cast at your target but also give you the option of manually placing it if you want to drop it pre-pull or something

macroing those manually placed moves always ends up an uptime gain for me because I find them super clunky and finicky to place down manually

Orthodox Rabbit fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently rn astro can get out the most healing of any of the healers, and with the cd reduction on divination its close enough in rdps that astro can be called good now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could someone give me tips for how to succeed in the Moonfire Faire? I'm level 32 and would like some silly clothing.

e: I HATE PLATFORMING

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 7, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could someone give me tips for how to succeed in the Moonfire Faire? I'm level 32 and would like some silly clothing.

The Eorzean Nimble Warrior challenge is just a simple jumping puzzle that gets you 4 tokens per run. Including the one that's part of a quest, you'd have to do it 5 times to buy all the clothing and housing stuff. If you haven't leveled culinarian or fishing, that would be the easiest way to get the glamour gear.

Also some people might be selling the Battered FIsh on the MB, but it'll likely be seriously overpriced.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, leveling desynth has been alright for me since I don't really have anything better to do with all that poe and it got me piles of crystals and clusters in while doing it (as well as piles and piles of mostly worthless leathers and slightly less worthless ingots/nuggets).

I started leveling it when it first came out so I cashed out alright in demimateria and afterwards it was just all dungeon/poe gear -> crystals.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Vermain posted:

They actually did a minor version of this once already: one of the first post-ARR MSQ's you had to pick up made you go and run normal Sunken Temple of Qarn and a loving guildleve before you could continue, something that they got rid of around Heavensward.

I started a new Viera character when ShB dropped (and my server was still Preferred), and you still have to do the Temple of Qarn in 2.1, though I don't know if this part is waived if you already did the dungeon earlier.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burnt Poffin posted:

I started a new Viera character when ShB dropped (and my server was still Preferred), and you still have to do the Temple of Qarn in 2.1, though I don't know if this part is waived if you already did the dungeon earlier.

I can confirm that it is not waived. E: which is a problem, that dungeon is terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RoboJoe posted:

I do like the aesthetic of the Astrologian a lot more, arcana and stars draw me in much more than stone and air to be honest, and I like the idea of card mechanic if I can get a handle on it. However I have been told that Astrologian isn't very good compared to the other healers, particularly at high levels. I suppose what I'm asking is; should I carry on as the White Mage, especially if it is better further on into the game? Or should I try to get a handle on the Astrologian and level that instead?

IMO, astro's main issue is that you have to divide your attention between three things - healing, dps, and cards - while the other healers only have to deal with healing and dps. And the cards aren't even that good anyway. It's also really annoying that their main aoe dps spell, Gravity, requires a target, unlike Holy and Art of War. This means that you need to be constantly changing targets whenever you need to heal someone or drop a card on them. The other healers don't have to do this, they can just sit in the middle of the pack and spam their AOE with the tank targeted.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The one I've been using for years is something like:

/ac "Spellname" <t>
/ac "Spellname"
/micon "Spellname"
/macroerror off

It'll cast at your target but also give you the option of manually placing it if you want to drop it pre-pull or something

macroing those manually placed moves always ends up an uptime gain for me because I find them super clunky and finicky to place down manually

Thanks :thumbsup: And yeah, I have malefic to cast I can't be placing poo poo manually.

EDIT: I had a tank earlier in Qarn HM that was using the level 41 dungeon greatsword and I managed to keep the whole party alive the whole time as AST even though he couldn't hold aggro even with tank stance so obviously it's the best healer and also owns we wiped at the sabotender boss though because tethers are hard for dps to see i guess

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been traumatized by the virtual pet-raising website Flight Rising and how much work you have to put into their monthly fairs, with tons of grinding for festival currencies and such, that to have this festival be done in less than half an hour is wild. Relieving. I have a cool new jacket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been traumatized by the virtual pet-raising website Flight Rising and how much work you have to put into their monthly fairs, with tons of grinding for festival currencies and such, that to have this festival be done in less than half an hour is wild. Relieving. I have a cool new jacket!

Yeah, most FFXIV holiday events can be completed quickly if you just want the unique items from them. Some have more staying power in the form of a mini game that's actually kind of fun to replay. Farming tradable items for resell after the event ends can be worth some money too, depending on exactly what's on offer (nobody usually cares about housing food items, but a cool looking tree may be worth big bucks 10 months later).