Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Given that there are character models at all in those scenes, and camera angles, and backgrounds that are actually places, puts this way ahead of all previous Fire Emblem games in terms of production. I kind of wish they hadn't gone with the "hosed up panorama" for the backgrounds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
What’s wrong with being charming like Claude

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
"We need to make some good-looking backgrounds for these conversations, but we're short on time. Suggestions?"

"We've got these environment cube maps..."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Carlosologist posted:

Assassin and Swordmaster both have Swordfaire

True but Ingrid has to be mounted she is a knight after all. This might be me remembering ancient history but I thought paladins were better with swords than lances.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The fishing in supports is the only one I think looks terribly distractedly out of place.

Frankly everyone short floating in the supports caught my eye more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hated Lorenz at first but after seeing more of his supports I think he's a pretty great character. His supports with Leonie are great because you can see just how literally he takes the whole noblesse oblige thing, much more than any other noble we see. It's like an obsession for him and I think explains why he's so proud of being noble in the first place.

It was also nice to see him grow up and stop being a sleazy harasser after the time skip.

dmboogie posted:

i haven't done claude's route yet but his voice acting just oozes with charisma, especially in the intro chapter

Claude is great. He's charming, chill, and wants to do good. He's a good kid.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lorenz's one-sided hatred for Claude is great.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Eimi posted:

True but Ingrid has to be mounted she is a knight after all. This might be me remembering ancient history but I thought paladins were better with swords than lances.

Not always. Almost every Jeigan/Oifey archetype in the series has specialized in lances.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

McTimmy posted:

The fishing in supports is the only one I think looks terribly distractedly out of place.

Frankly everyone short floating in the supports caught my eye more.

The one I found weird was when they overlay the ultra-bright and cherry tea set foreground into some dark dreary room.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

OddObserver posted:

The one I found weird was when they overlay the ultra-bright and cherry tea set foreground into some dark dreary room.

I got this room in a regular tea time and it was weird.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
BL Spoilers: I can't decide if I like or dislike Dedue showing back up alive and well. On the one hand, it's cool that his paralogue was foreshadowing the Duscar rebels returning the favor and bailing him out of his execution, and the event being so shocking it snaps Dimitri out of his edgelord spiral somewhat and puts into perspective for him how stupid it is to die for somebody else because all it does is cause that person pain and grief. On the other hand though the reveal was incredibly limp wristed (Dedue didn't even get to have some big CG cutscene moment where he defends Dimitri, he just kinda... shows up on the map and is all "I'm here!") it robs the narrative of dramatic tension and likewise makes the Ferdiad villains look hilariously incompetent, and worst of all Dedude didn't get any kind of level boost so he shows up like 10 levels lower than everybody else in my party and is thus completely loving worthless. :argh: Also as much as I like how Dimitri reacts to Dedue being alive, it feels kind of cheap that Dimitri's pull back from the brink wasn't triggered by Byleth or his comrades getting through to him, but rather a Deus Ex Machina "jk not dead lol" moment.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah the cubemapped backdrops for support conversations and a lot of post-battle conversations are pretty inexplicable. Like they obviously have all these 3D environments, is it really too hard to set a cutscene in a physical space vs a 2D backdrop? Or at least get them looking decent? When not playing on the built-in screen those things get very obviously pixellated too. Makes me miss the hand-drawn backdrops.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

was it intentional to make Marianne look Rinea

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The background are obviously bad but I don’t really notice them in the moment, and I definitely prefer them to the static supports.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And very bad '2d' scenes at that. Like any time you see what should be straight lines of things like footpaths and tables they're often completely warped. It's like they all take place in a very small box and no one took care to not show the corners with the camera.

tbh the fact that it has full voice acting already puts it miles ahead the majority of RPG skit scenes which do more or less the same.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I never even noticed the backgrounds until this conversation

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my man Raphael was out here just eating meat with his bare hands, I love this guy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dimitri is rear end in a top hat. Why Felix hate?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Skippy McPants posted:

On the one hand, yeah, a copacetic ending would be unbearably saccharine and out of synch with the game's overall tone.

But on the other, I love all my beautiful anime children and want them to live happily ever after.
This

I'm on the part where Edelgarde decides to wage war against everyone else, and while it's a little bit sad to kill kids from the opposite factions, I don't particularly care about people like Ignatz, so their deaths don't mean much.

When I go for round 2, I'm gonna be real sad if/when the game says "hey, you know Dorothea? Bernadetta? Caspar? All those sweet and loveable kids?? k i l l t h e m ."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Carlosologist posted:

my man Raphael was out here just eating meat with his bare hands, I love this guy

I honestly laughed out loud when they went
"Flayn is missing, we need to look for her!"
and Raphael said "Oh no, no that's terrible! Who is flayn?"

Blaziken386 posted:

This

I'm on the part where Edelgarde decides to wage war against everyone else, and while it's a little bit sad to kill kids from the opposite factions, I don't particularly care about people like Ignatz, so their deaths don't mean much.

When I go for round 2, I'm gonna be real sad if/when the game says "hey, you know Dorothea? Bernadetta? Caspar? All those sweet and loveable kids?? k i l l t h e m ."

I never saw Ignatz on my BE run even though I didn't recruit him.
Don't worry though, everyone you like you can easily recruit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

That's kind of lame though. I think would cheapen the experience a little bit to come off entirely clean.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Are you able to stack death blow and armored blow together?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sydin posted:

BL Spoilers: I can't decide if I like or dislike Dedue showing back up alive and well. On the one hand, it's cool that his paralogue was foreshadowing the Duscar rebels returning the favor and bailing him out of his execution, and the event being so shocking it snaps Dimitri out of his edgelord spiral somewhat and puts into perspective for him how stupid it is to die for somebody else because all it does is cause that person pain and grief. On the other hand though the reveal was incredibly limp wristed (Dedue didn't even get to have some big CG cutscene moment where he defends Dimitri, he just kinda... shows up on the map and is all "I'm here!") it robs the narrative of dramatic tension and likewise makes the Ferdiad villains look hilariously incompetent, and worst of all Dedude didn't get any kind of level boost so he shows up like 10 levels lower than everybody else in my party and is thus completely loving worthless. :argh: Also as much as I like how Dimitri reacts to Dedue being alive, it feels kind of cheap that Dimitri's pull back from the brink wasn't triggered by Byleth or his comrades getting through to him, but rather a Deus Ex Machina "jk not dead lol" moment.

I agree the reveal was limp but I was genuinely upset when Dimitri said he died and almost squee'd when he came back regardless because I knew this game didn't have any problems just making certain characters gently caress off mid-route without warning. His new design is amazing and I'm glad my best flower friend is back :3 Could it have been handled better? Yes. I don't know how else you would've done Dimitri coming back from the brink, but I think it was more a combination of things like Dedue coming back and Rodrigue dying than just a single moment. Also he was only 5 levels below everyone else for me and caught up really quick :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

That's kind of lame though. I think would cheapen the experience a little bit to come off entirely clean.

I guess I feel like the challenge of part 1 is recruiting everyone and that's your goal rather than anything else.
So for me it is the experience and I don't require seeing them in later bits, I'd rather that they were with me because then I succeeded at part 1.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Taear posted:

I never saw Ignatz on my BE run even though I didn't recruit him.
I dunno, in my playthrough Ignatz was on the bridge level defending the commander. He wasn't as vocal as Leonie, but both of them died just the same.

Also, I know you can recruit other house members, but A: it's kind of a pain, and B: I feel like I should at least try to get to know the other students before recruiting ones I've already used.

with the exception of Sylvain, as he's easy and I want that Lance, yo. :stare:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I guess I feel like the challenge of part 1 is recruiting everyone and that's your goal rather than anything else.
So for me it is the experience and I don't req

Recruiting everyone in NG+ seems trivially easy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because Dimitri is a bastardman

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Miftan posted:

I agree the reveal was limp but I was genuinely upset when Dimitri said he died and almost squee'd when he came back regardless because I knew this game didn't have any problems just making certain characters gently caress off mid-route without warning. His new design is amazing and I'm glad my best flower friend is back :3 Could it have been handled better? Yes. I don't know how else you would've done Dimitri coming back from the brink, but I think it was more a combination of things like Dedue coming back and Rodrigue dying than just a single moment. Also he was only 5 levels below everyone else for me and caught up really quick :shrug:

My Dedue was about 4 levels below the average but more importantly had gained almost no stats from his pre skip self so he was having trouble, but i did some leveling with him and restarted a few times just to make sure they were good ones and got him a few boosters and he perked up nicely.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like the biggest issue with the BE route is that the devs expected you to want to side with the church. All the promotional material emphasized the BE route and showed blythe fighting Edelgard, and they locked the alternate route behind (piss-easy) support checks and doing certain events so they probably assumed people would do the church route first. Uh, no, Rhea is sketchy as hell and everyone is telling me not to trust her, and Edelgard's my buddy, so I'm going with Eddie. Why would I want to side with the murderous state church who killed my good friend Ashe's dad?

That being said, I haven't gotten to the time skip yet, so I might be way off.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally hit the time skip and after doing several A supports I'm considering shuffling many of my shipping choices.

Totally keeping Bernadetta/Raphael though, their A support was great. Bernie is so scared of talking to Raphael that she can only carry a conversation with his back.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Rascyc posted:

Are you able to stack death blow and armored blow together?

Yep, they're both just abilites

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Beekeeping and You posted:

I feel like the biggest issue with the BE route is that the devs expected you to want to side with the church. All the promotional material emphasized the BE route and showed blythe fighting Edelgard, and they locked the alternate route behind (piss-easy) support checks and doing certain events so they probably assumed people would do the church route first. Uh, no, Rhea is sketchy as hell and everyone is telling me not to trust her, and Edelgard's my buddy, so I'm going with Eddie. Why would I want to side with the murderous state church who killed my good friend Ashe's dad?

That being said, I haven't gotten to the time skip yet, so I might be way off.

Naa you're spot on. BE spoilers.
I really don't know how the game devs would expect you to spend hours and hours levelling a character and having her be really strong then take her away and expect you not to want to side with her. It's a baffling decision.

Blaziken386 posted:

I dunno, in my playthrough Ignatz was on the bridge level defending the commander. He wasn't as vocal as Leonie, but both of them died just the same.

I wonder if he's only there if you haven't recruited Leonie? He definitely wasn't around for me.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Also I want to like sylvain but whoof did his whole "loving GOLDDIGGERS AFTER MY CREST" thing turn me off

I get that he has reasons but yeesh

I do not want PUAs in my games and I especially don't like when the game's like "But he's still likeable right??" :negative:

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 7, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I really don't know how the game devs would expect you to spend hours and hours levelling a character and having her be really strong then take her away and expect you not to want to side with her. It's a baffling decision.

Especially when her early supports are very good and effective at conveying her goals

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Andrast posted:

Especially when her early supports are very good and effective at conveying her goals

Especially when they do everything in their power to show Rhea as sketchy as hell. Like there are other church members who are good but Rhea has so many more red flags then your friend who you spent an ingame year getting close to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beekeeping and You posted:

Also I want to like sylvain but whoof did his whole "loving GOLDDIGGERS AFTER MY CREST" thing turn me off

I get that he has reasons but yeesh

I do not want PUAs in my games and I especially don't like when the game's like "But he's still likeable right??" :negative:

Lmao the only characterization he's gotten in my game has been "horny at all times" and surprising Dedue that he isn't a racist

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Taear posted:

I wonder if he's only there if you haven't recruited Leonie? He definitely wasn't around for me.
No, I mean Leonie shows up all piss n' vinegar with an intro scene and all, but Ignatz is still there - he only talks if you engage him in combat though.

Also, yeah, it is kinda weird that telling the church to go gently caress itself was the unintended route. I feel like if that was the case, they wouldn't have put so much effort into foreshadowing that Rhea's kind of a weird fucker who experimented on you as a baby and is incredibly gung ho about killing heretics. Like, there's a reason your dad said "gently caress this, I'm leaving."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

No, I mean Leonie shows up all piss n' vinegar with an intro scene and all, but Ignatz is still there - he only talks if you engage him in combat though.

I get what you're saying, I'm telling you that Ignatz wasn't there for me. I didn't see Lorenz either.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't know what you all are going on about. Lady Rhea is a great person! She's kind, she loves everyone, and she's doing her best to help out the people of Fodlan. Everyone who's talking bad about Lady Rhea doesn't know who she really is, a wonderful leader who puts the weight of the world on her shoulders. You should all show more respect to Lady Rhea, as she is the greatest thing to ever happen to Fodlan and its people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I don't know what you all are going on about. Lady Rhea is a great person! She's kind, she loves everyone, and she's doing her best to help out the people of Fodlan. Everyone who's talking bad about Lady Rhea doesn't know who she really is, a wonderful leader who puts the weight of the world on her shoulders. You should all show more respect to Lady Rhea, as she is the greatest thing to ever happen to Fodlan and its people.

Hi Cyril.