Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
and to think non skaters court death daily at public skating sessions, stepping on the ice without certified head protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

z0331 posted:

There's tons of stuff people should do to easily minimize risk. Doesn't mean it wasn't really surreal to see a 60-something ref getting red yelling at other 40- to 60-year-olds to keep their helmets on.

Hell, that league allows visors only, which to me is ridiculous. One bad deflection and you're potentially out a couple teeth.

yeah I started wearing a cage because I got tired of getting hit in the mouth in beer league. The shittier vision is a small price to pay for not losing teeth playing beer league hockey.

bewbies posted:

and to think non skaters court death daily at public skating sessions, stepping on the ice without certified head protection

Not sure that will ever be cracked down on since it would require rinks to carry a bunch of rental helmets

That said USA hockey even mandates that its coaches wear helmets in practice now because coaches kept falling and getting hosed up because they weren't wearing helmets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's increasingly common for kids to wear helmets at open skates anyways. It's all bike helmets so I'm not sure there's any certifiable safety improvement, but even if rinks don't care at least parents are starting to worry about scrambling little Timmy's brains.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

z0331 posted:

Old ref last night yelled at both teams after the game to keep our helmets on until we were off the ice. He got visibly angry when people didn't immediately put their helmets back on because I don't think a bunch of grown men could fathom being yelled at about that.

No reason why you shouldn't keep your helmets on until you get off the ice (it only takes one guy to step on an errant puck near the boards, which I've seen before a handful of times), it's a little safety precaution like not getting on the ice before at least one Zamboni door has closed.

Yelling at people may not be the best way to get a positive reaction however.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 7, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

z0331 posted:

Hell, that league allows visors only, which to me is ridiculous. One bad deflection and you're potentially out a couple teeth.

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy someone say it, someone start the argument

bewbies posted:

getting warmer

johncho posted:

(it only takes one guy to step on an errant puck near the boards, which I've seen before a handful of times)

this anecdote absolutely owns. I can only imagine the refreshingly crisp sound of the horn after a hard fought battle. A grown rear end person ripping off their restrictive helmet as the clock strikes 0 but before the sound of the horn reaches their ears, sweaty locks of hair in their eyes. And rather than skating to center ice to congratulate a goalie and start handshakes, instead they skate within millimeters of the boards in the most inefficient direction possible.

There it sits, like a snake in the grass, waiting. In front of doors or the benches. The officials, watching intently as the teams make nice and laughing about how badly they targeted players with their calls and missed call, don’t prep the ice by moving nets off of the boards and returning the single game puck on the ice to the team that brought it. They wait, and wait, and wait.

Then it happens. A hushed murmur falls over the ice. A race for a cell phone to call for assistance. You hear a horn in the distance growing louder, closer. As the player is loaded onto the emergency vehicle you can’t help but think how many times this tragic tale will unfold. You can only scratch your head through the cage and wonder.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 7, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

It's increasingly common for kids to wear helmets at open skates anyways. It's all bike helmets so I'm not sure there's any certifiable safety improvement, but even if rinks don't care at least parents are starting to worry about scrambling little Timmy's brains.

Somebody forgot to mention this to the parents of the idiot kids skating full bore at public sessions. I'm inevitably going to be the only medical person there when one of them cracks their skull open.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

sellouts posted:

rather than skating to center ice to congratulate a goalie and start handshakes, instead they skate within millimeters of the boards in the most inefficient direction possible.

Two questions:
1- How do you exit the ice without getting near the boards?
2- You've never seen anyone step on a puck during practice, warm ups, or leaving?

I mean it doesn't even have to be a puck, some poorly managed ice have terribly ice pebble ring near the exit/Zamboni doors. Like I said, yelling's probably not the right way to convey the message.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i stepped on a puck HARD during warmups a few weeks ago. like, i went down like a lump. there were a ton of kids watching and they all blew up laughing, and my shoulder was sore as hell for a few days

i've also taken my helmet off as the buzzer goes in every single one of the thousands of hockey games i've played in, going back to my first game and first coach who had us take off our helmets for the handshake line because he thought that was more respectful or something

...it is only a matter of time

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

bewbies posted:

[...] first coach who had us take off our helmets for the handshake line because he thought that was more respectful or something

That's actually cool, in my coach growing up suggested to take off our glove and to actually go for a handshake/low-five.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

johncho posted:

Two questions:
1- How do you exit the ice without getting near the boards?
2- You've never seen anyone step on a puck during practice, warm ups, or leaving?

I mean it doesn't even have to be a puck, some poorly managed ice have terribly ice pebble ring near the exit/Zamboni doors. Like I said, yelling's probably not the right way to convey the message.

oh jesus you’re serious, huh?

1- I usually exit through a doorway which is decidedly not the boards as it’s open and I’m skating towards it and facing forwards. Similar to how hundreds of once a year skaters get on and off ice every day despite deplorable ice conditions you mention.

2- This is about your example of after a game stepping on a puck specifically. Yes, in my probably 2000 times on the ice to play hockey from peewee and not knowing how to hockey stop to last night (hockey stops remain questionable) I have never, ever seen a player step on the single game puck after the horn has sounded when people begin to take their helmets off or loosen their straps.

No, I don’t see people taking off their helmets or not wearing them during practice or warm ups when shots are being fired and there are multiple pucks out. Yeah that’s dumb and bad for basically all players and leagues.

I’m happy to see the thread get another “visor or cage” and “mouth guards - snake oil or not” argument. Well done.

Team “helmets are a pain to carry after games with hockey gloves and sticks and whatnot but it’s not horrifically unsafe to not wear them in the handshake line” for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any time I try to carry more than my sticks off the ice I feel like Navin Johnson in the bathrobe carrying my prized possessions.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

this is the worst page in the thread's history

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I reread and see how when I wrote about stepping on pucks in parenthesis that you may have thought that I meant seeing people stepping on pucks with the helmets off while exiting, this is not what I meant (English is not my only language so I apologize if I'm not explaining properly). And what I meant by boards also is all around, I've seen kids (CanSkate/IP/Adult Learning) lose their balance near exit boards especially when choppy and hit their heads (with the helmets mind you) on the side, although some rinks have bench boards on the exit side so you can leave that way too. I didn't mean to anger you, obviously everyone assumes their own risk when they play, but at least in a few major regions in Canada, the terms and conditions of the city rink used is that everyone who steps on the ice needs to keep their helmet on during a game, even volunteers/medic will need to put on a helmet to step foot. I don't give a care too much either way, I've wrote more than I wanted to, and I'm not taking a side.

All I wanted to say is that,
1- It doesn't take much effort to keep your helmet on until you leave especially if those are the rink rules
2- No one should have yelled

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

sellouts posted:

Any time I try to carry more than my sticks off the ice I feel like Navin Johnson in the bathrobe carrying my prized possessions.

Two sticks and water, and sometimes pucks or the locker room key (which means I have to have one glove in my armpits).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The only thing that can stop bad ice concussions is a good guy with a helmet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Renewed my USAH registration for the coming year, and they have a donation option. $12.50 is claimed to be enough to give a kid a stick to try the game out.

What the gently caress kinda garbage they giving these poor kids for $12.50? A wooden dowel?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

14 Fisher sticks from Amazon.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Here in the UK which we all know is hosed up and backwards, you get a 10 minute misconduct if you take your helmet off for the handshake line. X amount of misconducts and you get a ban.

Also if you have a backup goalie on the bench, they have to be wearing a helmet at all times otherwise they get firstly a warning, and then a 2 minute illegal equipment penalty. This applies to all levels of senior hockey, so from beer league all the way up to the semi-professional leagues.

The pro league (EIHL) quite rightly said gently caress that, and has their own rulebook.

:britain:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

this is the worst page in the thread's history

you could have at least given me the handclap emoji

Also you’re welcome and also it’s really hard to do this type of thing when the thread is this long.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 8, 2019

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
How many injuries would this result in?

https://twitter.com/HeyBarber/status/1130661037697425409?s=20

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Of course that dude wears #69

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm patrick kane y'all!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Guys, aside from (hopefully) subbing a few games and doing off-ice stuff and public skate, what should I do to keep from dying until our winter season starts?

Still can't believe I missed sign-ups.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
A couple of gems from my hungover 4v4 skate.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8DGCZkz

https://imgur.com/gallery/STyJGQs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nice saves. Who took the howitzer in the second one?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

a mysterious cloak posted:

Guys, aside from (hopefully) subbing a few games and doing off-ice stuff and public skate, what should I do to keep from dying until our winter season starts?

Do the rinks in your area do open hockey? I know guys who more or less stopped playing league games and almost exclusively play scrimmages/open hockey.

Of course most rinks around me schedule open hockey for like, weekdays 12:30-1:30pm.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Take up a new sport in the meantime?

Basketball? Boxing? Tennis?

Anything that mimics anaerobic exercise like hockey?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

z0331 posted:

Do the rinks in your area do open hockey? I know guys who more or less stopped playing league games and almost exclusively play scrimmages/open hockey.

Of course most rinks around me schedule open hockey for like, weekdays 12:30-1:30pm.

They do, but yeah, it's like early afternoon on weekdays only, so that's out.

Zip! posted:

Take up a new sport in the meantime?

Basketball? Boxing? Tennis?

Anything that mimics anaerobic exercise like hockey?

I'm definitely upping my workouts in frequency/intensity, hadn't really thought about another sport entirely.

I'm also considering alcoholism.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nice saves. Who took the howitzer in the second one?

First is Parise 2nd is Goligoski, this is part of that Perfect World training that they just talked about at the end of the Spittin Chicklets podcast.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

I'm also considering alcoholism.

That's what I did this summer. Have the first of 3 games in two days for a tournament today. I think I worked out twice since the end of May. Gonna die on the ice. My body also decided it was a good time to get a cold as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Submit to the cleansing pain.

I'll probably be in the same place when November rolls around.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Made the 3 hour trip home after our fourth game. Was perfect weather out and they were having a musikfest at the same time. Actually felt ok after the first game. Only one guy puked, mostly from dehydration.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Actually won a dang hockey game tonight. That hasn't happened in a while.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lost a payoff game to the team I really didn't want to lose to. Oh well. Maybe my back will heal between now and the winter season.

Just kidding. It won't.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah, we won our last regular season game last night, which means we solidified our position of not having to play a Saturday night play-in game for the playoffs.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I've been playing in the top division here and holding my own. I think I might actually be good at this...
Oh right, I'm still way behind. :haw: How do those shots feel on your C/A? I have the Passau without the propack and I find I'm getting lightly bruised by some heavy shots.
Always great to watch these clips and just be in awe of how effortless everything looks. I've also found that if you are able to actually get in the way of the shot, that's the best way to get rid of a hangover.

I'm also jumping on board the private skates only train. The league keeps changing game times (moving them later) without any notice and the officiating is suspect at times which causes players to get angry and dumb things happen. I just had my second straight game end with the officials deciding to just run the clock out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another pros (well, just one. and he's only drafted, hasn't played an NHL game yet) vs shmoes video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVIax44nZU

It's obviously a high skill game already, but when #86 touches the puck it's another level.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Finished last in the league, knocked off the #1 team in our first playoff game with only 8 skaters. Probably only have 8 again for the semi-final this weekend, but a very different 8. Summer sessions are wild.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I FINALLY figured out how to do a proper wrist shot. I haven’t been able to get any power on my shot for months and yesterday it clicked during warmups. I wasn’t turning my stick over quick enough so my stick would just fling upwards and the puck would get no power on it. Now I’m thinking about turning it as soon as the puck is past my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A lot of people forget to put weight onto their stick as well and actually flex it on wrist shots. The combo of putting weight onto a wrist shot to flex the stick and snapping (rolling over your blade) at the end of the shot really ads a lot of power.