Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brunhildr was also the name of a Valkyrie in one legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

inthesto posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Three Houses is the game that Fates was supposed to be.

I had that exact thought whilst playing through Three Houses.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Three Houses is a very good game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Thesaya posted:

Hey, I caught up!
Something that you talked about a few times are the names of the Nohr's weapons. They are all from Norse mythology. Ginnungagap is the chasm where life started, Fimbulvetr is the neverending winter that signals the end of Ragnarök, which is the end of the world. Also, there was Brynhildr which is just a womans name. So, I guess the Nohr are supposed to be Fantasy Norse, despite nothing except maybe their colouring and the weapon names implies it.

While the Fire Emblem series takes names from several mythologies, Norse mythology is their main source of names. The Jugdral games, Sacred Stones, Conquest, and Heroes use Norse mythological names for weapons extensively, but other games also have some references sprinkled throughout them (for example, Idunn is the name of a Norse goddess, and Fenrir shows up in multiple games.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Tenebrais posted:

Brunhildr was also the name of a Valkyrie in one legend.

I am guessing you are talking about Nibelungen's ring (or whatever it's called in English)? That is usually where Norse mythology stuff I haven't heard about comes from. :shobon:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 50 - Paralogue 13 - Truly Talented (part 2)

new weapons, shape-shifting horses, gabby jay, turn 5 orphans

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Seeing Mozu guard that bridge got me thinking "I am Mozu of Yan! Who dares fight to the death with me?!"

And I love the fact that Kaden is still getting more strength. He won't stop until he can oneshot everything.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Brunom1 posted:

And I love the fact that Kaden is still getting more strength. He won't stop until he can oneshot everything.

It is what Felicia deserves.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If you're planning to use Hayato and Sakura's Extremely Cursed Daughter then it might be worth training the parents to raise up their stats a bit more. It'd give the kid better stats for that extra edge.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 51 - Paralogue 14 - After the End

more time-hole questions, a case for mono-width fonts, quadruple front flips, plumion tea, blamm-o!, a sticky proposal, the cursed child

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Man, you guys are spoiling us with updates. Who knew having kids was this exhausting?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Curse of the Pastry Pals

Somehow I'm not surprised that Hayato and Sakura are that incapable of raising their daughter.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

This game both having (Conquest/Revelations character spoilers I guess) actual Awakening child characters who traveled to this world, and became Nohrian retainers while using fake names, and also time babies that are adult Awakening characters with anagram'd names, is so loving crazy.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 2, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I’m looking at some of Hayato’s other romantic supports. Apparently he’s supposed to have a speech tic where he talks overly formal to seem more adult. It’s even what he bonds with Kagero over.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Haha, Rhajat is great. Who knew having your parents be teenagers your whole life would make you weird and gothy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I continue to fall into the trap of convincing myself that I cannot get angrier at the time holes and I will never learn.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also time baby #14 is also the only possible romantic lady/lady support for a female Chome. (There's also a hella creepy dude over in Conquest that fills the same role for dude/dude Chomes.)

It's very ugh.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 3, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm noticing that all the time babies at the moment are girls. Is that just a coincidence, or did you decide to recruit them first? I know what child you get is based on the father at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm noticing that all the time babies at the moment are girls. Is that just a coincidence, or did you decide to recruit them first? I know what child you get is based on the father at least.

Kana's the opposite of whatever you make your character so that's why she's a girl this time. Everyone else is just a coincidence. They can go and unlock Jakob and Hinata's kids too, they've met the requirements for them they just picked Rhajat this time.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

its just coincidence. we unlocked two boys in the most recent recording we did.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 52 - Paralogue 14 - After the End (part 2)

kid planning, functionally invincible foxes, a stern talking to, two horny idiots lost in the woods

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Does Saizo seriously get that much movement penalty for moving through the woods? You'd think being a ninja would mean he doesn't get slowed down at all.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like when Kana is stoked about getting to use her real sword.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hey, Rally is something I recognize! It’s a decent way to have your healers doing something other than heal, but it doesn’t get them exp like a weapon would.

The way it works is that there’s a Rally X skill for every stat. The great thing is when you have a unit Rally you don’t have to pick one, it fires off everything it can. Still though, it’s the kind of thing you can ignore outside he’ll mode permadeath playthroughs.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Normally I don't pay attention to the background music in the battle maps, but this one was way too distracting to not notice. Definitely wasn't expecting that saxophone rendition of the FE theme to pop up!

Not my first choice for creepy ambient swamp bog music, but I guess Rhajat prefers smooth jazz and classical.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Okay Rhajat is probably my favourite of the kids so far.

Looking it up, she's the bi option; she will happily marry a female Chome. She won't have a child that way, though, needs to be a male Chome for that. What's the point in all that dabbling in the black arts if you can't even give your wife a baby half-dragon?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Nondevor posted:

Normally I don't pay attention to the background music in the battle maps, but this one was way too distracting to not notice. Definitely wasn't expecting that saxophone rendition of the FE theme to pop up!

Not my first choice for creepy ambient swamp bog music, but I guess Rhajat prefers smooth jazz and classical.
I think the music in this map is from Awakening which I guess they use for all the kids that are versions of characters from Awakening because Cordelia Caeldori's map used it as well.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 53 - Paralogue 14 - After the End (part 3)

seasonal animes, things that could have been, cursed weapons, sauna access rights, more timehole issues, a misogynistic proposal

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Re: saunafucking:
I'm sure there is an event for meeting your wife/husband in the baths, the odds are just pretty low. (Though you can equip the bath-towel-on-head accessory on her to make it more likely that she'll show up in the sauna. )

There are a couple other accessories that boost how often certain characters end up in the various shops, etc. Like the jester-hat you slapped on Kaden making him more likely to lounge in the lucky ball lottery stall.

e: also on the topic of expanded shipping, there is an extended same-sex mod you could possibly install if you decide to drop into conquest or revelations.
The only downside is that you'll have to do a bit of memory editing to make the same-sex kids pop up correctly.
(aka, swap the gender of one of the participants before the proposal, then back again after you've recruited the kid.)

Because for some reason, in between Awakenings and Fates, they decided to hardcode a gender check into the game. (Possibly explicitly for the 2 same sex couples possible in the game?)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Saizo should die alone.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sakura's support with Rhajat was pretty on-brand for her. She seems like the type to completely ignore the fact that her daughter is literally evil.

Also Rhajat going for being every kind of creepy, wow.
And Saizo still manages to be worse. "Your heart is mine to protect" is the sort of line you call the police for.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Honestly, my favorite part of Rhajat in all this is her strawberry-bubblegum hair color. It so thoroughly undercuts every Daaark and Eeeevil thing she tries to say. Pro choice.

To be clear about making your sister your mother-in-law: any of the children-characters can have an S-rank with the avatar, provided they're of the appropriate gender. Sophie or Selkie could be Kana's mom, for instance. Rhajat is just distinct in that she's obsessed with Corrin and doesn't care if you're male or female. Sadly, you miss out on Kana if you're playing a woman and marry Rhajat.

The second generation cannot reach S-rank with any other members of the first generation, though. You couldn't pair Caeldori and Kaden, for instance.

(Looking over the list of supports made me realize that a female avatar apparently has two kids, because there's a distinct conversation for if Kana and Selkie are brother and sister.)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
if we had a female chome that married kaiden we would get male kana and selkie, which makes me wonder how kistune genetics work. are the ears/tale recessive or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Horse Spirits are generally pretty good, because they give you an extra 4 speed. But once you finally get back to the main game it really won't matter for most people aside from Orochi.

Also press the units button when on a battle map to just turn it into a vertical column. Maybe that'll help you find people in the future.

Also also, if you actually give people accessories it makes them like you more, and you can just swap people's stuff around if you don't care, if you want to see Azama insult Chome more often without having to use him as much.

Kuvo posted:

if we had a female chome that married kaiden we would get male kana and selkie, which makes me wonder how kistune genetics work. are the ears/tale recessive or something?

Hang on, lemme play through MGS 1 again and I'll draw up a Punnet Square.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

According to the wiki, he can pass on his Kitsune class to kids other than Selkie. I guess they’re growers, not show-ers?

And yes, this would mean that male Kana can be half human, half dragon, and also half fox.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So Rhajat is literally Tharja 2.0, the anagram name wasn't enough but they have her clinging onto Chome just like her previous incarnation latched onto Robin.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

According to the wiki, he can pass on his Kitsune class to kids other than Selkie. I guess they’re growers, not show-ers?

And yes, this would mean that male Kana can be half human, half dragon, and also half fox.

Likewise in this case: Selkie, or any other child of Female Chome, would also be half-dragon and have the ability the sidegrade into the Nohr/Hoshido Noble class.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh God, female Chome could be Rhajat’s mom.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

They turn into kitsune like werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

So Rhajat is literally Tharja 2.0, the anagram name wasn't enough but they have her clinging onto Chome just like her previous incarnation latched onto Robin.

Yes! I was reading through different Supports the other day (got curious what same-sex options Fates had) and I will sum up Rhajat's Support conversations:

Rhajat: :stare:
Chome: ... wh-what?
Rhajat: :stare:

I was kind of pleased that they're exactly the same whether the avatar is male or female: just nothing but obsessive staring.