Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It can be done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cuntpunch posted:

Every so often, after a drink on a Saturday evening, I stare wistfully out at the sky and long for the days before I became a developer and there was still a hopeful optimism in my heart that good code must exist in companies across the globe, providing the very infrastructure that our world operates on.

Now I realize we live in a world where the risk of a global recession being brought on by an NPM package being depublished is going up, and not down.

Goodbye, innocence.

Imagine Therac-25 writ in JavaScript.

Now consider that people try to write embedded JavaScript.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

leper khan posted:

Imagine Therac-25 writ in JavaScript.

Now consider that people try to write embedded JavaScript.

I think my fear is more that at some point, the nukes are going to need new control software.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not if we get rid of them all.

By launching them :getin:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ultrafilter posted:

I have a colleague who once got penalized on his annual review for spending too much time building reusable components instead of just throwing together some crap to fix whatever the pressing business need of the moment was.

I'm not 100% sure why he's still here.

Same but DS colleague passed up for promotion because she spent too much time writing good code and not enough time coming up with flashy data science

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bongo Bill posted:

It can be done right.

Bold claim, Bill

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Cuntpunch posted:

I think my fear is more that at some point, the nukes are going to need new control software.

Hackernoon Article: How to Build a Nuclear Arms Control Software using React hooks, Electron and Bootstrap

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Sick burn, grandpa

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sagacity posted:

Sick burn, grandpa

I mean, would it be government software if it wasn't outdated well before it was released?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bongo Bill posted:

It can be done, right?

Nope!

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Hackernoon Article: How to Build a Nuclear Arms Control Software using React hooks, Electron and Bootstrap

V8 rockets

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bongo Bill posted:

It can be done right.

I mean it's all jokes and so forth but if the org is committed to it agile - and particularly xp imo - can totally work well.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

rotor posted:

I mean it's all jokes and so forth but if the org is committed to it agile - and particularly xp imo - can totally work well.

I've warmed up a bit to Agile now that I'm at a job that implements it fairly well. Our team is able to turn big features out really quickly and I don't feel like I'm fighting my PM to get anything done.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lifg posted:

Holy poo poo. That's the point at which incompetence becomes evil.

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence and malice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence and malice.

Technically, the quote is “Never attribute to malice what you can more easily attribute to incompetence”, so...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ChickenWing posted:

Same but DS colleague passed up for promotion because she spent too much time writing good code and not enough time coming up with flashy data science

Ugh. Data science makes development look like a sane and reasonable place to work.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's gotten to the point where I feel the people or organizations actively labeling or promoting themselves as data scientists are grifters

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

programmer -> software engineer
statistician -> data scientist

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The vast majority of people calling themselves data scientists are completely statistically illiterate. No one cares because they know how to make pretty graphs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Further cementing the opinion that statistics == lies.

:suicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Knowing how to spot interesting and actionable patterns in messy, potentially unstructured data is a vastly different discipline and skillset from what people have traditionally called a statistician

OTOH calling it a science may also be a stretch

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Data science is knowing how to find the patterns. Statistics is knowing how confident you can be that those patterns will generalize to the next data set. Data science is definitely something different from traditional statistics, but it's not as different as a lot of people think it is. Anybody who's interested in the topic should read 50 Years of Data Science.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

This thing reared its ugly head again.

Management consulting + "Agile" = :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sinten posted:

This thing reared its ugly head again.
Seems accurate to me. The leadership subway lines run completely separate from everything else. I guess you take a bus to transfer there.

Edit: It also looks like the stop at the Cumulative Flow Diagram station isn't hooked up to anything either. I guess it just dumps you off the tracks on departure?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm "Mock Objects" happazardly thrown into the release section.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That diagram is not meant to be understood. Also, what is "Parking Lot"?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's probably some witty metaphor about it resembling a city's public transit map that I just can't quite reach (because I am an idiot, and even then, the diagram has broken my brain).

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Rubellavator posted:

That diagram is not meant to be understood. Also, what is "Parking Lot"?

i've heard this term used to refer to taking longer conversations out of scrum, ie "ok guys can we take this to the parking lot? we got a lot to cover today"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

rotor posted:

i've heard this term used to refer to taking longer conversations out of scrum, ie "ok guys can we take this to the parking lot? we got a lot to cover today"

Synonym for take it offline

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"You wanna take this outside???"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

"You wanna take this outside???"

The Chad programmer vs the incel new hire

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol it'd be kinda funny to bring that chart to a dev interview as an interviewer and ask the interviewee for their thoughts on it. I'd suspect it'd be a good filter for BS

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

shrike82 posted:

Lol it'd be kinda funny to bring that chart to a dev interview as an interviewer and ask the interviewee for their thoughts on it. I'd suspect it'd be a good filter for BS

"I reject your BS and substitute my own!"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Most of those things are overlapping methodologies that share a lot of the same ideas. So its pretty stupid to throw them all up on one chart like you would ever do all of them together or that they're actually overly different things.

So I guess exactly the kind of superficiality and cargo culting one should expect...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

One company's term for this is "rathole", as in "this is ratholing, y'all take it offline." They also call slides "foils" because it's apparently 1972.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

JawnV6 posted:

One company's term for this is "rathole", as in "this is ratholing, y'all take it offline." They also call slides "foils" because it's apparently 1972.

My old job had three variations of parking lot:
"parking lot": needs to be discussed, just not right now, it's a tangent
"deck chairs": futile / useless discussion in the face of a larger problem
"bikeshed": trivial discussion

Since our weekly progress meeting always involved too many people you could start a chant of any of these if you got annoyed enough and the agenda would move on.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Elmo. "Enough, let's move on."

There's even a Sesame Street Elmo plushie in the meeting room you can throw at people (or just pick up and hold in front of you I guess but that's not as funny) if it really goes bad.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Protocol7 posted:

There's probably some witty metaphor about it resembling a city's public transit map that I just can't quite reach (because I am an idiot, and even then, the diagram has broken my brain).
It's literally a transit map, which are not commonplace in the US. As to a metaphor, perhaps they're trying to suggest that aglie methods move tasks as unreliably as most city transit.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Test Driven Development was apparently important enough that it was listed twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Elmo. "Enough, let's move on."

There's even a Sesame Street Elmo plushie in the meeting room you can throw at people (or just pick up and hold in front of you I guess but that's not as funny) if it really goes bad.

On a former team, we did this as well. If someone was just going on and on you could say "Potato!" and that was the polite sign for "I'm going to murder you if you don't stop talking."