Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

In ten years we'll be talking about the joe rogan neet demographic and their voting patterns the same way we used to about nascar dads and soccer moms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Joe Rogans personal morality is irrelevant, he's a platform, just like Fox townhalls.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oops

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
phoneposting error

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddamn phoneposting

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Aug 7, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

today's West Wing Thing guest starred Chapo producer Chris Wade who actually went and saw Sorkin's To Kill A Mockingbird and it really is something. Sorkin may be the stupidest liberal alive.

Thanks for the rec, this was good. Also, don't tell wampalord, but this is better than the Worst Wing.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

great value benny jonson

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lol someone unironically sent me this

https://pettycartography.com/2018/11/22/the-chapo-trap-house-reader/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

1. Chapo should be honored. Hope they do Red Scare and Cumtown next.
2. Teasers from chapo and redscare are great for doing planks.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

1. Chapo should be honored. Hope they do Red Scare and Cumtown next.
2. Teasers from chapo and redscare are great for doing planks.

YES please lord jesus come on

lmao https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Capital_Research_Center#Funding

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

2. What happened? I: Virgil Texas: Chapo’s connections to Nick Mullen and neo-Nazis Sam Hyde and w*ev

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

holy moly lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4knok5jf4Q

not sure where to begin with this

rarely have i clicked out of a video so fast. this guys voice is embarrassing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Also cringey how Moore went all in with "The Zoomers Will Save Us"

I do think that is a disingenuous way to interpret the answer, since the question was how to rebuild class consciousness. The zoomers may not be particularly left or particularly likely to politically organize, but, idk, I find it pretty plausible that they grew up/are growing up in a situation where they necessarily have a bit better an understanding about how modern capitalism actually functions in relation to their day-to-day lives. The difference between appealing to and activating people already conscious and trying to make the willfully ignorant understand the basics is pretty big.

Not that Moore spelled out anything very lucid on the subject, but Virgils question was framed as if we're looking for that one weird trick that mends minds already fully broken, which is not necessarily possible (though it'd perhaps be necessary for very rapid change).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

a Loving Dog posted:

rarely have i clicked out of a video so fast. this guys voice is embarrassing

Yeah it looks funny but I dont think I can make it through

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mantis42 posted:

Thanks for the rec, this was good. Also, don't tell wampalord, but this is better than the Worst Wing.

i like the cspam one too but those guys are way to soft on the "non-political" aspects of the show due to some lingering nostalgia. it's just a terrible show with bad writing! it completely sucks rear end!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Slate had a great story about why Rogan is bad.
https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/joe-rogans-podcast-is-an-essential-platform-for-freethinkers-who-hate-the-left.html

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Moore seemed to echo the “demographics is destiny” line that has been predicting the imminent demise of the GOP for over a decade.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

wait is this the guy what made that video lmao

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

gently caress, his confidence in spite of everything about him is inspiring

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

a Loving Dog posted:

gently caress, his confidence in spite of everything about him is inspiring

god bless the saving power of daddy's money

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Subvisual Haze posted:

Moore seemed to echo the “demographics is destiny” line that has been predicting the imminent demise of the GOP for over a decade.

he was right that joe biden could beat trump by 5 million votes and still lose the electoral college

however at some point there’s only so much you can do to gerrymander and generally suppress the vote

the more problematic aspect of the demographics is destiny thing, though, is the idea that overwhelming democratic majorities, even if it were 3-4 presidential terms, would fix everything instead of making it obvious how center-right the democratic party really is

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

great value benny jonson

Benny Jacobs, whose suplexed glasses are now in the Newseum :doh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

I think his point was more along the lines of, "Way more people in the U.S. support the left's positions than oppose them, and that's only getting to be more the case each year; if the Dems actually ran left, they'd win bigly."

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm not entirely surprised there are people posting concerns about sanders going on rogan but it's still cringe af, grow up or log off or better yet both

ya rogan has on lovely people and lets them say whatever but the reason they are so desperate to get on his program is because his audience is much larger than the alt-right and probably does reach more non/undecided voters than just about any other podcast

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/awjedwards/status/1159121077710123009?s=19

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

THS posted:

he was right that joe biden could beat trump by 5 million votes and still lose the electoral college

however at some point there’s only so much you can do to gerrymander and generally suppress the vote

the more problematic aspect of the demographics is destiny thing, though, is the idea that overwhelming democratic majorities, even if it were 3-4 presidential terms, would fix everything instead of making it obvious how center-right the democratic party really is

the layers of defense the oligarchs have is amazing. voter suppression -> gerrymandering -> electoral college -> senate representation -> cartel like control of political party leadership -> judicial lockdown

america and by extension the world is so hosed lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mila kunis posted:

the layers of defense the oligarchs have is amazing. voter suppression -> gerrymandering -> electoral college -> senate representation -> cartel like control of political party leadership -> judicial lockdown

america and by extension the world is so hosed lmao

Only because Americans are too pussy to do anything to fight against it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bernie is literally the I DONT GIVE A HOT GAY gently caress WHAT CONGRESS THINKS! LEGALIZE WEED, DUDE!!! meme brought to life

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
joe rogan's a useful idiot, in the sense that his ideology/interviewing style can be used as a means to further political ends that he himself wouldn't agree with, if he had any awareness of what was going on. the right has realized this and taken full advantage of it. i don't see any reason the left shouldn't treat him the same way. there's an argument that one shouldn't legitimize or mainstream him, but he already has one of (if not the most) popular podcasts in the world.

imo the left should just see his show as just another contested space where politics takes place. from this perspective, not going on is analogous to needlessly ceding territory

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the video is still trending #1 on YouTube

Bernie made the right move imo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going through reddit I'm seeing a lot of posts from conservatives that are basically "drat I was fuckin' lied to I'm gonna vote for Bernie now"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i haven't seen any of the posts criticizing bernie for going on rogan, are the arguments basically the same as when he went on fox?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i haven't seen any of the posts criticizing bernie for going on rogan, are the arguments basically the same as when he went on fox?

it's a bunch of dumbasses posting screenshots of Rogan being problematic or having on nazis

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's lovely centrists trying to smear a good campaign move like it's a bad thing, so basically.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1159308286551683074

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

going through reddit I'm seeing a lot of posts from conservatives that are basically "drat I was fuckin' lied to I'm gonna vote for Bernie now"

obviously this means sanders is going to attract so many toxic bros that of he wins the nomination, moderate democrats and the 5 never-trump republicans will have no choice but to support a third party bloomberg ticket in the general

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

THS posted:

obviously this means sanders is going to attract so many toxic bros that of he wins the nomination, moderate democrats and the 5 never-trump republicans will have no choice but to support a third party bloomberg ticket in the general

what are you talking about? all of his voters are currently toxic bros, duh!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a Loving Dog posted:

what are you talking about? all of his voters are currently toxic bros, duh!

it needs to be even more toxic so i can write a hand-wringing series of tweets about how “i supported bernie’s right to run as a democrat in 2016, but now the bros have gone too far - this is why it’s not hypocritical for me to refuse to support demoratic nominee this time around”

this is assuming i’ve soaked my brain in lye so the above makes historical sense and i can get plenty of RTs by similarly deeply concerned democrats putting their conscience above party and paint a centrist third party run as Actually more progressive than sanders, who is the trump of the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

you are much more likely to get the average rogan listener to vote for sanders than an ardent anti bernie pod save america fan

i'm sure there is a good chunk of rogan fans who are really into the idw nonsense but for the most part it seems like those guys are desperate to convert rogans audience to their bullshit rather than preaching to the choir

it happens to be a fairly normie podcast it just so happens people like ben shapiro are mainstream in 2019, it sucks but you can't shy away from a potentially useful platform because they got their cooties all over it