Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nail Rat posted:

:psyduck: holy gently caress, I just played Mega Man 11 after playing the X Collection (part one only naturally) and it's really loving good.

When it was first announced I wasn't sure about the art style but it's great, especially how it has completely different costumes for each weapon, and the voice acting is also really good.

Mega Man 9 was pretty good but this is probably the best Mega Man game since X4.

Trying to get that drat no damage/deaths on the way to a boss trophy is rough though and :lol: at ever getting the speed run one. This game is really loving hard.

What's everyone's thoughts on whether the next game is going to be a MM12 in this vein or (dare I dream) a good X9?

My uncle at Ninten- Capcom told me it's going to be Misadventures of Tron Bonne 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol there isn't going to be another proper Mega Man game until 2028 to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the franchise.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Star Man posted:

lol there isn't going to be another proper Mega Man game until 2028 to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the franchise.

But there'll be a shitton of crappy tie-ins, cringe-worthy merch, and godawful "inspired-by" indie games to tie us over in the meanwhile.

"Pure Blue Blast: Excelsion! is a new IP from InFun Soft where you take on the role of Plazma, a Cleanser from Cyber Orba who is tasked with defeating the rogue android Pure Blast Maidens with their own powers using his Maximum Overtouch, where he places his hand on defeated Maidens' weak points to absorb their power! Classic gameplay and eye-pleasing 2D graphics combine with a classic J-Pop soundtrack and heart-throbbing CG galleries to create an experience that isn't to be missed! Pure Blue Blast: Excelsion! now out on Steam!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvvgmftNc4

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2019/8/10/rockman-x-dive-roundup-81019

Update showing some character models

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
MAKE A NEW CONSOLE GAME FOR THE LOVE OF gently caress, MOBILE GAMES SUCK

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look for right now I’ll take this, gimme those new HD character models

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Screw that, mobile phone games are terrible yet Capcom keeps trying to awkwardly shoehorn Megaman into them. They showed they could still make good Megaman games with 11, so why not put the time and effort toward the console X game that everybody wants instead of a phone game whose biggest attraction is the addition of some side-characters from a boring RPG about three people played?

I hope it remains Japan-only like that godawful Xover.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Having an extremely normal one I see.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Seeing Zero, or any mega man characters with a gun is kinda weird.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

Seeing Zero, or any mega man characters with a gun is kinda weird.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Case in point. Axl made up for the weirdness in X8 where he was okay, but one of the primary gimmicks of the Megaman games is that you make your weapons a part of you. That's another reason why the aesthetic of ZX/ZXA fell flat for me. That and all the characters were either abstract art pieces vaguely resembling animals or intense, angry children.

The Pantheon soldiers though were awesome, though. Mass-produced mindless Megaman X drones? That's a cool idea and it got squandered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Case in point. Axl made up for the weirdness in X8 where he was okay, but one of the primary gimmicks of the Megaman games is that you make your weapons a part of you. That's another reason why the aesthetic of ZX/ZXA fell flat for me. That and all the characters were either abstract art pieces vaguely resembling animals or intense, angry children.

The Pantheon soldiers though were awesome, though. Mass-produced mindless Megaman X drones? That's a cool idea and it got squandered.

That is one of Mega Man's primary gimmicks. It doesn't really carry over to other characters.

Zero is literally defined by a weapon he uses that isn't part of him. (Indeed his Buster is basically all but forgotten, even in Mega Man Zero he uses a gun) and by X8/Zero he's picking up different weapons to use. You can't even say he isn't known for using a gun because again:

Same goes for Axl who uses pistols despite having the ability to transform into other robots. (Not to mention most of the rest of the Command Mission squad.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would say that a lot of characters in mmz and especially mmzxa use weapons that are a part of their body. But swords are usually not like that in any megaman games, so model z/model h don't. But model x does and a lot of the pseudoroids, gentle judges, etc have weapons as part of their body.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 11, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ImpAtom posted:

That is one of Mega Man's primary gimmicks. It doesn't really carry over to other characters.

Zero is literally defined by a weapon he uses that isn't part of him. (Indeed his Buster is basically all but forgotten, even in Mega Man Zero he uses a gun) and by X8/Zero he's picking up different weapons to use. You can't even say he isn't known for using a gun because again:

Same goes for Axl who uses pistols despite having the ability to transform into other robots. (Not to mention most of the rest of the Command Mission squad.)

I was talking about MMZ in the post. Arm-guns are cooler than pistols and I ain't backing down. :colbert:

On a semi-related note, I found that with some tweaks you can make some of the playable warframes in Warframe look like Robot Masters, so I am devoting unhealthy amounts of time to turning every frame I get into a Robot Master.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just put it also on literally anything other than phone, please, Capcom. I'm begging you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

Just put it also on literally anything other than phone, please, Capcom. I'm begging you.

Yeah, as aside from being mobile exclusive this honestly doesn’t look all that bad so far.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The stars will run out of fuel before capcom does anything that isn't more monster hunter, resident evil and/or devil may care.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
I keep hearing that (at least according to the few sites following the game so far) they're aiming for "console quality". Whether or not that's a hint towards a non-mobile port or whatnot is up for debate but they do seem to be making some effort on the graphics front.

From what they've shown so far, they're at least digging a little bit deeper down the well in regards to characters and designs and the gameplay looks alright so far.

(Now to find some sort of mobile controller to play the game with since they've announced it's going global at some point)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

chumbler posted:

I love the contrast between these two posts. :allears:

Seiyal posted:

I keep hearing that (at least according to the few sites following the game so far) they're aiming for "console quality".

All I get from that statement is that this game is going to obliterate a phone battery.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
can't wait to spend money on locked chips.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

The stars will run out of fuel before capcom does anything that isn't more monster hunter, resident evil and/or devil may care.

They literally released a new Mega Man game last year, are doing regular support for Street Fighter, and prior to DMC5 nobody expected them to be doing another DMC anytime soon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
After playing Monster Hunter World for like 600 hours, i think i'm okay with that.

Be nice if they fuckin' had their release dates not be so far apart. what's the deal with that? the PC port just hard to work with?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think built in guns are cool but I also really specifically love the look of Zero's buster in mmz. it reminds me of a FN P90 or something like that, it's rad

Ka0 posted:

dmc5 was an awesome surprise and if you don't care about dmc you need to get better taste in videogames :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil are all fantastic series and each one of them recently got their best entry to date (I mean you can always debate that but holy crap at the quality). What a weird complaint.

If anything I want them to continue to share their love for Megaman, because 11 was a surprise banger and I want that for the X series and a mobile action-RPG ain't it.

Also wish for a new console Breath of Fire but uh that's never happening so may as well wish for something actually possible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’m playing the stupid game for the sole fact that they brought back robo ninja and I’m not even going to bother pretending otherwise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Command Mission is the only X game I’ve played more than 3 levels of and beaten, due to owning a GameCube and being approximately being 2 around the first X game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil are all fantastic series and each one of them recently got their best entry to date (I mean you can always debate that but holy crap at the quality). What a weird complaint.

If anything I want them to continue to share their love for Megaman, because 11 was a surprise banger and I want that for the X series and a mobile action-RPG ain't it.

Also wish for a new console Breath of Fire but uh that's never happening so may as well wish for something actually possible.

Capcom at least seems to be remembering that people actually like their franchises.

I'm kind of curious now, does anyone know how MM11 sales stacked up against the franchise as a whole?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Capcom at least seems to be remembering that people actually like their franchises.

I'm kind of curious now, does anyone know how MM11 sales stacked up against the franchise as a whole?

It sold over a million, that’s up there with the absolute bestseller Megaman games and they’re very happy with it afaik

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I am cautiously optimistic about the mobile action RPG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I mean, you point this out as if it doesn't make it look weird. Like half the time I forget that Axl is a Mega Man character.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I really like that the Buster Shot is defined as a memento of the guy who died in the intro of the first game. Like they never even harp or dwell on it, it's just a small touching thing that it makes it all through four games

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not even really a buster, it's a machine gun that just turned into a buster as soon as Zero picked it up because he's that cool. And it's only chargeable because he slaps the Z-saber in the back of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The controlled resistance fighters with those guns also shoot lemons like your uncharged shots so I think the only thing that changes about it is that it can charge.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The red lines breaking up the solid color blocks are what make Axl look out of place to me, not his pistol.

I'll also add to the consensus that the Zero/ZX buster guns are cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

The controlled resistance fighters with those guns also shoot lemons like your uncharged shots so I think the only thing that changes about it is that it can charge.

Look at how they shoot in the Z1 intro though. It's lovely bullets. I'm pretty sure that's how it's justified in plot, Zero picks it up and it turns into a buster.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think that's just because they didn't wanna put all those shots on screen at that bit. I don't really think guns that shoot actual solid bullets have existed for a long time at that point, energy guns are the norm.

it's not like there's any scene or dialogue about him changing the gun in any way, he just picks it up and starts shooting.

he doesn't even have the z saber at that point, you get it during the golem fight. the concept art showing the z saber getting put into the buster is just that, concept art. that's not what actually happens in the finalized game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I think that's just because they didn't wanna put all those shots on screen at that bit. I don't really think guns that shoot actual solid bullets have existed for a long time at that point, energy guns are the norm.

it's not like there's any scene or dialogue about him changing the gun in any way, he just picks it up and starts shooting.

he doesn't even have the z saber at that point, you get it during the golem fight. the concept art showing the z saber getting put into the buster is just that, concept art. that's not what actually happens in the finalized game.

You get the saber during the golem fight, and that's the exact moment your buster becomes chargeable. All of Zero's weapons in MMZ except for possibly the knuckle are based on his sabers.

E: he also has two

Dabir fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
but it already shoots the energy lemons before that point. it's never a gun that shoots conventional bullets, none of the weapons in that series are ever shown to be.