Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

JcDent posted:

Brothers and sisters, behold!

https://twitter.com/mahmouedgamal44/status/1158863161308667904

The Anti-Aero Gavin!

The Avenger is this on wheels, with an M3 .50 and some Stingers.

I always thought the gunner's position on the Avenger was neat-looking, very Mechwarrior. Bet it gets hot as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

The Avenger is this on wheels, with an M3 .50 and some Stingers.

I always thought the gunner's position on the Avenger was neat-looking, very Mechwarrior. Bet it gets hot as gently caress though.

It is climate controlled. And they just got a brand new heating/AC unit! Along with some less important upgrades.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

:toot: Pakistan has severed trade and reducing diplomatic Ties with India over Kashmir.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Memento posted:

From the OSHA thread

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1158740769374691334

Just fuckin :what:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alaan posted:

:toot: Pakistan has severed trade and reducing diplomatic Ties with India over Kashmir.

That's gonna hurt them more than it hurts India.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

That's gonna hurt them more than it hurts India.

My thought too - though looking through the CIA factbook/googling says that India is already not a big trading partner.

quote:

The top export destinations of Pakistan are the United States ($3.5B), Germany ($1.9B), China ($1.85B), the United Kingdom ($1.46B) and Afghanistan ($1.39B). The top import origins are China ($15.2B), the United Arab Emirates ($6.95B), Saudi Arabia ($2.53B), Indonesia ($2.46B) and Japan ($2.37B).

So given that Kashmir is split between India, China, and Pakistan, could India be worried the other two, allied, could drive them out of their piece of Kashmir?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
China is not going to start things in this current climate. They might ship stuff to Pakistan if Pakistan gets its skull caved in though.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
China mostly wants Kashmir because their slice of Kashmir has one of the only direct national highways between Xinjiang and Tibet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Don Gato posted:

China mostly wants Kashmir because their slice of Kashmir has one of the only direct national highways between Xinjiang and Tibet.

I mean, don't they already have that? What does the rest of it give them aside loads more of non-Hans?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, don't they already have that? What does the rest of it give them aside loads more of non-Hans?

Land for Hans and slaves.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's mostly about the extremely strategic position more than about any quality of the land itself.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

The next closest direct road is on the other side of the province, or about 1000km away. Tibet and Xinjiang Garrison's can't support each other without that road, ignoring things like airlifts and the like.

As for why they need those provinces, Tibet provides China with most of their water and that is going to only get more important as they keep contaminating the groundwater everywhere else in the country.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Don Gato posted:

The next closest direct road is on the other side of the province, or about 1000km away. Tibet and Xinjiang Garrison's can't support each other without that road, ignoring things like airlifts and the like.

As for why they need those provinces, Tibet provides China with most of their water and that is going to only get more important as they keep contaminating the groundwater everywhere else in the country.

Right, most of their water, and the water in Tibet comes from glaciers, and---

Hm

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Don Gato posted:

Not it be glib, but can’t they build more roads?

Like, if the only road between Texas and California ran through Mexico it seems like the answer wold be “build a road through New Mexico and Arizona” not “annex Sonora”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like, if the only road between Texas and California ran through Mexico it seems like the answer wold be “build a road through New Mexico and Arizona” not “annex Sonora”

I think there's hella mountains and poo poo around there, though?

I mean: control of mountain passes into the Indian Subcontinent is literally why Afghanistan is known as the graveyard of empires rather than being known as a poorer shittier Mongolia, isn't it?

:shrug:

E: Might as well pimp this here, really nice public domain maps: https://www.geographyrealm.com/download-the-equal-earth-physical-map-for-free/

E2: Maps are the canvas upon which Man paints his own history.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 8, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

Interesting example to bring up.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Russia exploded some more again.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1159411320082587648

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ULA launched the AEHF-5 today, one left to go. One thing that caught my eye in the Wikipedia, though, is that the non-US users are Britain, Canada, and the Netherlands. Britain and Canada are completely unsurprising, but I'm a little surprised the Dutch are in on this. Did they contribute monetarily just for use of the system, or is there some strategic reason why they would be onboard? They're a close ally so it's not like providing access to, say, Turkey, but it still caught me by surprise.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tibet is some of the roughest terrain in the PRC, which is saying a lot. So it's more like building a road through the Rockies instead of through the southwestern desert. Still not an insurmountable problem of course, but for a variety of political and economic reasons they won't or can't build a new road.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shooting Blanks posted:

ULA launched the AEHF-5 today, one left to go. One thing that caught my eye in the Wikipedia, though, is that the non-US users are Britain, Canada, and the Netherlands. Britain and Canada are completely unsurprising, but I'm a little surprised the Dutch are in on this. Did they contribute monetarily just for use of the system, or is there some strategic reason why they would be onboard? They're a close ally so it's not like providing access to, say, Turkey, but it still caught me by surprise.

Doing a quick scan of a 2005 statement by the state secretary of defense (junior minister):

There's a structural shortage of capacity at our allies that have their own satelites (France, Italy, Spain, UK, US) which we previously borrowed/rented? So it's been decided to buy a stake in the AEHF program in order to have guaranteed secure access in case of high intesity conflicts. Commercial satelites will still be used for low intensity conflicts.

https://www.parlementairemonitor.nl/9353000/1/j9vvij5epmj1ey0/vi3an94t3zzd

Diving into the budget, it looks like we're buying a stake worth 132 million euros.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

WTF is going on with Russia. Seriously. This is two explosions in a week now.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Shooting Blanks posted:

Netherlands is an F-35 customer.

As are Canada (will soon be) and England.

Maybe something in here is related?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

EvilMerlin posted:

WTF is going on with Russia. Seriously. This is two explosions in a week now.

Russian government issues statement: "CAN WE MAYBE BE A LITTLE MORE CAREFUL WHEN CARRYING EXPLOSIVE THINGS?!"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This one might be a little more interesting since they updated that story.

quote:

'Brief radiation spike' after rocket engine blast in northern Russia

:thunk:

I have no idea.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

That is one of the roughest and least inhabited parts of the planet, and the road would be thousands of kilometers long. They might do it someday, but not for a long time, and it would be a decades long project in any case.

They also finally just finished paving the existing road. It was a huge prestige project for the CPC not only because of the engineering involved, but also because it firmly puts Chinese roots down in Aksai Chin, which is one of their oldest disputed regions, and one they actually fought a war of sorts to lay claim to.

It honestly probably isn't that important militarily/strategically, but I'm sure it is a big element of the PRC's plans for economic growth in the west.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

glynnenstein posted:

I have no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M730_Burevestnik

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Right, most of their water, and the water in Tibet comes from glaciers, and---

Hm

About that https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/researchers-tibetan-glacial-melt-threatens-billions

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bewbies posted:

That is one of the roughest and least inhabited parts of the planet, and the road would be thousands of kilometers long. They might do it someday, but not for a long time, and it would be a decades long project in any case.

They also finally just finished paving the existing road. It was a huge prestige project for the CPC not only because of the engineering involved, but also because it firmly puts Chinese roots down in Aksai Chin, which is one of their oldest disputed regions, and one they actually fought a war of sorts to lay claim to.

It honestly probably isn't that important militarily/strategically, but I'm sure it is a big element of the PRC's plans for economic growth in the west.

The Qingzang rail line connecting Tibet to the rest of the country wasn't completed until 2005, because they had to figure out new techniques to build railways on the permafrost. The passenger cars use special oxygen-enrichment equipment and carry extra oxygen supplies in case of emergencies.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

:10bux: says they were planning a test to poke the US for making GBS threads on them about violating the INF treaty and blew themselves up in the process.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rent-A-Cop posted:

:10bux: says they were planning a test to poke the US for making GBS threads on them about violating the INF treaty and blew themselves up in the process.

"Unlimited range" has the smell of :jerkbag: about it to me.

Skyfall is a p.:black101: reporting name, tho?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

"Unlimited range" has the smell of :jerkbag: about it to me.
It's wank but it's probably true if it really is a nuclear powered cruise missile.

Then again every ICBM built in the last 60 years also has "unlimited range"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's wank but it's probably true if it really is a nuclear powered cruise missile.

Then again every ICBM built in the last 60 years also has "unlimited range"

Yeah, the concept of a "virtually unlimited range" nuclear-armed missile is not a new thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the concept of a "virtually unlimited range" nuclear-armed missile is not a new thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

Project Pluto is still at the top of the list for "craziest Cold War ideas" that I'm aware of. Bad enough that the US just shut it down early in development due to being too provocative.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Project Pluto is still at the top of the list for "craziest Cold War ideas" that I'm aware of. Bad enough that the US just shut it down early in development due to being too provocative.
Also massively overcomplicated and impossible to safely test. It was always just a fallback in case ICBMs didn't work out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also massively overcomplicated and impossible to safely test. It was always just a fallback in case ICBMs didn't work out.

Also completely horrifying such that it makes "normal" nuclear war with cities and people getting vaporized instantly seem humane in comparison

quote:

After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave and fallout. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

This one might be a little more interesting since they updated that story.

:thunk:

I have no idea.

And then there was this in 2017, although Russia still denies it.

quote:

But through multiple pieces of evidence, the researchers have concluded that the most likely source for the plume of radioactive ruthenium that traveled across Europe in late September and early October 2017 was a fire or explosion at the Mayak production plant in the Ural Mountains of Russia

https://cen.acs.org/safety/industrial-safety/caused-plume-radioactive-ruthenium-Europe/97/web/2019/07

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was about to say...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Several years into the Russian push of throwing money at wacky nuclear deliver systems I still am scratching my head at WHY. Leaning into your nuclear forces that are kind of a fixed cost that isn't going anywhere any time soon makes a certain sort sense. Even if your conventional forces suck there is only so much anyone can do to a nuclear state.

What's Russia actually going to do with an infinite range missile? Sneak it through bumfuck Canada to first strike then die to tridents? Is the point destabilization?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Alaan posted:

Several years into the Russian push of throwing money at wacky nuclear deliver systems I still am scratching my head at WHY. Leaning into your nuclear forces that are kind of a fixed cost that isn't going anywhere any time soon makes a certain sort sense. Even if your conventional forces suck there is only so much anyone can do to a nuclear state.

What's Russia actually going to do with an infinite range missile? Sneak it through bumfuck Canada to first strike then die to tridents? Is the point destabilization?

I mean, maybe some of it is stealth space spending? Better satellite launching? Although I don't know if that's a technology with a lot of profit room in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Alaan posted:

I would imagine it's a combination of propaganda and a genuine fear that their legacy delivery systems might soon be obsolete and they will not be able to afford to replace them.

ICBM's cannot be sneaky, and the trend over the last 20 or 30 years has been than anything that can be seen can be shot.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 8, 2019