Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The bad decisions you may have made during your early months really come to bite you when you're hitting 20s and all the class requirements funnel into strict requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW does any version of Together We Ride play in Three Houses?

Honest Thief posted:

The bad decisions you may have made during your early months really come to bite you when you're hitting 20s and all the class requirements funnel into strict requirements.

Students making poor educational decisions and you only half-assedly teaching because you don't give a poo poo you have tenure only makes Professor Simulator 2019 more realistic

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Arkeus posted:

Bernie's an insanely good Bow Knight. Only problem is the lackluster growth Bow Knight have, so it's tempting to leave her as Sniper in the easier maps.

Also, I completely regret making my Edelgard a Mage/Warlock in the hope her final class would have magic :(. OTOH, she would go insanely well with Mercenary => Warrior, for Vantage + Wrath. Not sure how you play her, but she works better for me as "Warp her in the middle of enemies, and let them attack her and die".

Honestly, the only boost sniper has is volley and +20% dex, which she ought to have plenty of by that point. Once you qualify you might as well go right to bow knight for maximum killin'.

It also ought to be post-skip and you'll be most of the way through the game by then!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So is it normal for Byleth to lag way behind the students in their proficiencies or am I doing something wrong? I've been actively training Byleth once an explore period and he just got to C+ sword and most of my units are B or higher on their main weapon from instruction.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ChiTownEddie posted:

So is it normal for Byleth to lag way behind the students in their proficiencies or am I doing something wrong? I've been actively training Byleth once an explore period and he just got to C+ sword and most of my units are B or higher on their main weapon from instruction.

Absolutely normal, the main character doesn't get the boost from learning that the students get so you're always going to be behind since your skill is growing "naturally".

And I'd say that while the master classes aren't definitely needed they help because they can all move a reasonable distance and the later maps are really goddamn big.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ChiTownEddie posted:

This is pretty typical, because remember that your students are getting tutoring on Mondays, plus group project experience and weekly experience at the end of each week. This is on top of skill experience gained in combat. By comparison, Byleth's faculty training (and the occasional seminar) alone is supposed to keep up with this.

One of the paralogues has a Knowledge Gem which doubles skill experience gained in combat, which will help Byleth keep up. But other than that, Byleth has to rely on having way too many activity points and hitting the faculty training hard to keep up.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Eventually, if you level Professor as much as possible, you'll hit a point where you'll be spending most of your exploration points doing Faculty Training, and you can savescum those to always be Great and shoot up but yeah for quite a while you'll be behind student specialities because you don't benefit from weekly tutoring sessions.

The way Byleth proficiency growth works also makes leveling things like Cav, Armor and Flying a pain, because while students can level them weekly without being part of the class, you can only level them by investing Faculty Time to advance the skills far enough to unlock the base cav/armor/flyer classes in order to be able ot progress on your own. I kinda wish tutoring students weekly gave Byleth a very small boost to whatever he was helping the student with.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Honestly, the only boost sniper has is volley and +20% dex, which she ought to have plenty of by that point. Once you qualify you might as well go right to bow knight for maximum killin'.

It also ought to be post-skip and you'll be most of the way through the game by then!

Mmmh, I do agree a lot of the mini-quest in explore are kinda disappearing in post timeskip (maybe not in other routes though), I do think there is almost half the game post timeskip.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Goddamn, just barely managed to kill Death Knight when he appears the first time. Literally had my entire team at full health, went all in on him in one round and everyone got smacked down. Got him with just Byleth and Linhardt remaining. Eat poo poo you emo nerd.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got to the Blue Lions timeskip. Someone spoil to me if Dedue is dead for real. Cause I'll be pissed if what Dimitri said wasn't a bluff. I spent so much time building up my burly man.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got to the Blue Lions timeskip. Someone spoil to me if Dedue is dead for real. Cause I'll be pissed if what Dimitri said wasn't a bluff. I spent so much time building up my burly man.

he isnt

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Post timeskip it’s also an option to have Byleth receive advanced drills from the students

So mines got to A in swords and authority off of that although nothing is gonna save how none of his stats aside from HP and charisma are above 30

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 8, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
only if the student's skill is higher it seems, so on deer sword-byleth gets boned

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

only if the student's skill is higher it seems, so on deer sword-byleth gets boned

Yeah

I nabbed Felix and Catherine so they were able to do the job for Byleth up until A swords at which point Byleth is now on his own for that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Blue Lions was the house that I had the least interest in but I gotta say, [post time-skip] I am really intrigued by grizzled, one-eyed Dimitri.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phew.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Blue Lions was the house that I had the least interest in but I gotta say, [post time-skip] I am really intrigued by grizzled, one-eyed Dimitri.

Pre-time-skip, but like, the month right before it happens spoilers: Dimitri goes full Jack The Ripper when he finds out who the Flame Emperor is. It's awesome and unsettling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait so is the Tragedy of Duscar that some Duscar Dudes definitely 100% themselves murdered the king and his retinue so the kingdom razed the whole country/region/city-state/whatever it is to the ground and murdered almost all of them back because holy moly why aren't we playing as Dedue in his mission of revengeance instead of these dorks

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pre-time-skip, but like, the month right before it happens spoilers: Dimitri goes full Jack The Ripper when he finds out who the Flame Emperor is. It's awesome and unsettling.

Haha I noticed that. It was fun seeing it from the outside (Golden Deer). The Blue Lions are this kind of goofy "hero" class, and then you go hang out in their classroom after that and Dimitri seems to have had a mental breakdown and all the other students are sort of like "uhhh...Dimitri is making me uncomfortable..."

I'm going to end up playing this game multiple times aren't I...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah

I nabbed Felix and Catherine so they were able to do the job for Byleth up until A swords at which point Byleth is now on his own for that

Catherine, Seteth, and Manuela can all train your sword skill regardless of your skill level. It's only for former students that they have to have a higher skill than you.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Haha I noticed that. It was fun seeing it from the outside (Golden Deer). The Blue Lions are this kind of goofy "hero" class, and then you go hang out in their classroom after that and Dimitri seems to have had a mental breakdown and all the other students are sort of like "uhhh...Dimitri is making me uncomfortable..."

I ended up poaching the entire Blue Lions class aside from Mercedes and of course Dedue and Dimitri themselves and so when Dimitri got poked full of holes by imperial troops offscreen after chapter 17 they were all various degrees of horrified and depressed

It was p :smith:

Harrow posted:

Catherine, Seteth, and Manuela can all train your sword skill regardless of your skill level. It's only for former students that they have to have a higher skill than you.

Lol poo poo maybe I shouldn’t have been ignoring Seteth all game long

Like I swear after chapter 11 he just invited himself into my army even though I recall making no conscious effort to court him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Playing as Blue Lions so far it's mostly been the eagles and lions vying for stuff while the deers either are forgotten or are just like "lol what's happening chill out already jesus"

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
In Edelgard's Paralogue, is it possible to Not Kill Nader? I kind of finished him with Lys instead of just putting wait and seeing sucide

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait so is the Tragedy of Duscar that some Duscar Dudes definitely 100% themselves murdered the king and his retinue so the kingdom razed the whole country/region/city-state/whatever it is to the ground and murdered almost all of them back because holy moly why aren't we playing as Dedue in his mission of revengeance instead of these dorks

Pretty much.
It's weird that you never really get Duscar pointed out on the map because it feels like it's just a piece of the Kingdom that they've annexed and the people there don't like it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Detective No. 27 posted:

"DEDUE, TURN OFF MY PAIN RECEPTORS"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

You did what I did and forgot about training Byleth on your off-days. Which is super easy to do because he's so OP you just assume he's doing fine in his weapon proficiencies when he's got like E's, D's, and C's in everything.

The most efficient path forward for me was spamming professor level increasing activities so I could train 4-5 times per day off. Once per day will not be enough to keep up.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 8, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm trying to get Raphael into eagles for this run. I've got Ingrid already and I'm shooting for Manuela, Hanneman, Raph, Lysithia and Felix. I feel like these are going to be a good band of traitors. Raph not so much a traitor, more that he needs to be with his Bash Brother Caspar.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Students making poor educational decisions and you only half-assedly teaching because you don't give a poo poo you have tenure only makes Professor Simulator 2019 more realistic
Forcing my students to cram so they can pass the Wyvern Lord exam

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what determines a character asking to join your house? In my current game I have had two people ask to join my house when I didn't have the skill rank requirements but I did have a B rank support with them.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Realizing in retrospect the best thing about BE Edelgard route is that there wasn't a single fog-of-war battle past the tutorial. Just did two drat GD paralogues in a row with it and it's so annoying. Especially since I unequipped all the torches I had just equipped right after the first one...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The B support goes a long way

Like I only had a D in faith and flying but the B support was enough to let me poach Ingrid and Annette right before the timeskip

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's more like the king got murdered while in Discar, the surviving prince says the murderers were clearly not Duscar Dudes, but the country went all genocide on them anyway. So.. yeah.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

I think it's more like the king got murdered while in Discar, the surviving prince says the murderers were clearly not Duscar Dudes, but the country went all genocide on them anyway. So.. yeah.

Are you sure about the second part as the Dimitri/Felix support makes it seem as though Dimitri was a very active participant in the purge.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW does any version of Together We Ride play in Three Houses?
That's not a real recurring theme in the series, it just appears in all the FE1-related games. Most games have their own recruitment theme (as does 3H)

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
The only problem with late-game student poaching is that they don't come with any class experience for some reason.

Like it would have been nice if they had come with, say, just half xp in the classes a tier below what they come as just to make it easier to go back, but oh well, I guess Knowledge Gems are a thing.

Also my just-before-timeskip Leonie had D+ in Riding which seemed incredibly low

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

Also my just-before-timeskip Leonie had D+ in Riding which seemed incredibly low

Like we've talked about before in the thread for some reason Leonie is an archer as far as the game is concerned, but it makes her a cavalier and I recruited her because of that.
Her skills are weird and the way the game treats her is weird too.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The B support goes a long way

Like I only had a D in faith and flying but the B support was enough to let me poach Ingrid and Annette right before the timeskip

B support and an E+ is fine. Usually if they say no to you they'll come join you although I couldn't tell you what triggers that "come join" bit but B is what you should aim for and you can do it with every character but Ferdinand.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Leonie is geared towards being a Bow Knight much like how Ferdinand is towards being a Great Knight.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I think something went horrifically wrong with my Leonie when she has all of 24 speed at level 39

Like looking at Serenes I almost couldn’t believe she had a speed growth of 60

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I think something went horrifically wrong with my Leonie when she has all of 24 speed at level 39

Yeah that is weird, Leonie has some of the highest speed in my Golden Deer crew

Speaking of does speed have any affect on MOV or is that considered an entirely separate stat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Remember classes affect growths and if you had her as a cav or paladin she takes a pretty big hit to speed