Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I liked Lucas Grey as a guy with a goal to bring down this conspiracy and one of his methods is to hire a very good assassin from a neutral Assassins For Hire company. There was no reason why this would ever be a threat to ICA's "autonomy" in any way, and I agreed with 47 100% in the airport scene when he said the contracts were legitimate, the money was paid as promised, the targets were scumbags, what's the problem here?

Once the plot devolved back into yet ANOTHER tired hand-wringing over the tragic backstory of this utterly unrelateable emotionless bald player avatar I checked out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

their all being extremely susceptible to 'hey wanna kill all the illuminati?' as a pick-up line.

To be fair, who wouldn’t say yes to this?

Also yeah, the “lore” of hitman is just a loose framework to use as an excuse to have 47 travel around the world and assassinate people and none of it really matters. It usually just boils down to trying to explain why 47, a professional murderer, isn’t “the bad guy”, because all the people he kills are terrible.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 8, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

47's friendship with the priest in the original Hitman 2 is the most interesting the character has ever been. All the other attempts at pathos have fell flat.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's great. And exactly as seriously as the series should be taking itself, in a sort of mirror image of 47's stoic perfection at everything.
I tried and failed to follow the overall story a while ago, between ICA, CIA, Franchise, IAGO, Providence, nuclear weapons dealers, but it's fun to imagine it in the Illuminatus! universe.

"The history of the world is the history of the warfare between secret societies."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Okay, people mentioned that the removal of DRM imrpoved performance so I reinstalled; It still barely runs, and I can't justify the expense of season 2 right now, but I'm rushing up the season 1 mastery unlocks to try to take care of the chameleon. What's a safe SA for him?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, people mentioned that the removal of DRM imrpoved performance so I reinstalled; It still barely runs, and I can't justify the expense of season 2 right now, but I'm rushing up the season 1 mastery unlocks to try to take care of the chameleon. What's a safe SA for him?

I just knocked out everyone on the top floor, then after a while he goes and leans over the balcony. Make sure that Sean and Penelope aren't going to see you coming in, then give him a push.

Of course I didn't get SA, cause I ran into an enforcer on the way out, but...

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I became a hacker, dropped the electrophone on him. grabbed the files while he was dying, and waltzed out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
dang, I was hoping he drank from something. The PC you have to hack is right in the house, isn't it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

dang, I was hoping he drank from something. The PC you have to hack is right in the house, isn't it?

He has coffee right next to him, and you can poke him with an emetic with relative ease, but it has to be an accident kill - I assumed that meant poison was out of the question. He doesn't puke in a toilet, by the way, he goes to the trash can by Rose's bathroom, and if that's occupied, he goes downstairs to the trash can in the dormitory.

And yeah, the computer is the one on the opposite side of the wall from the 3D printer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He does drink from something. I poisoned it with emetics, then whe he was alone knocked him out and dumped the body out a window. Unfortunately, someone saw the body as it was falling and killed my SA.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, it's the laptop on the other side of the wall from the 3D printer.

He might drink from something, I think there's a glass on the desk he's practicing at? The electrophone is just stupid-easy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Overly convoluted way to do 0 knock outs and kill the chameleon: turn on the mission timer, notice the time when he goes drinking from his tea. restart, grab rat poison on the first floor of the house, place a coin to his right, while his back is turned poison the drink with rat poison. When the timer is 30 seconds away from his drinking time (should be every 3 minutes or so), use an emetic syringe to poison one of the hackers.

This makes him go downstairs to puke because the upstairs bin is "occupied" by another puker. When the target's done puking, use coins to lure him under the chandelier. Shoot the chandelier.

Using this approach, you can keep restarting until the exact point you shoot the chandelier.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 8, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If you KO the hacker he's working with he'll go out to the balcony on the front of the house. You can get spotted pushing him there though so, the safest way is probably to emetic syringe the patrolling guard, KO the hacker and then place a coin on the banister so he moves close enough for a push prompt.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just don’t do what I did which was hack the PC without realizing it would lock you into the attempt before you even find the target, then get spotted doing so and immediately alerting everybody.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I became a hacker, dropped the electrophone on him. grabbed the files while he was dying, and waltzed out.

I did this but despite dropping the phone a foot from him one of the hackers walked alllll the way across the room to answer it instead and died. And then the enforcer guard that was supposed to drag his corpse out got stuck on the table and just repeated the 'bending down to start dragging the body bag animation' over and over. And also I couldn't back out because I'd already accidentally hacked the files.

What followed was me knocking out or killing everyone in the top floor and half the bottom floor including Sean Rose who apparently comes in to wash his hands, breaking that guard out of his cycle by getting a hacker to notice a dropped gun, finally getting a window to poison his drink....and then after all that he just walks outside right in front of the balcony :argh:

Then I 3D printed Sean's face and left in shame.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Okay so this is important info you need to know about distractions in Hitman 2018: They changed how NPCs respond to dropped objects of interest (coins, phones, gold bars, etc.) to have the "notice you dropped something" behavior override the "ooh, shiny thing" behavior. It does not, however, apply to placed distractions of the same sort. If you want somebody to see a coin and turn toward it, set it on the ground rather than dropping it (or throwing it obviously). If you do that, the closest person will usually get it. Never dial the shockphone until you are 100% sure your intended target has picked it up; they can answer at any time even after they've collected the phone. This is also true of duck detonations and the EMP device, all can be activated in an NPC's inventory. Items in briefcases and the Remote Taser can also be activated after retrieval by an NPC.

The exception is that a target with a sophisticated bodyguard who calls other guards for suspicious stuff, like Novikov's bodyguard or Carnaby's, will override their spot behavior if they see you place an item in front of them and pass along the duty to their bodyguard. If they don't see you do it, and just spot the object as they're walking along, they'll get it themselves.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the phone is OP, the only challenge left in the game is people reminding me when there's a new ET itt

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

poo poo these briefcase challenges seem a little crazy.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

They weren't so bad, remembering you have to throw the briefcase at the guards was the hardest part.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mzbundifund posted:

I liked Lucas Grey as a guy with a goal to bring down this conspiracy and one of his methods is to hire a very good assassin from a neutral Assassins For Hire company. There was no reason why this would ever be a threat to ICA's "autonomy" in any way, and I agreed with 47 100% in the airport scene when he said the contracts were legitimate, the money was paid as promised, the targets were scumbags, what's the problem here?

Yeah, I did kinda love that he just considers for a moment and then says,"....how is this OUR problem? :confused:"

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

They're a little wacky, and rely on specific locations on the map, but I did all four in one lazy run. I brought a sniper rifle in a case with me, and planted the remote C4 in an agency pickup. There are two or three briefcases on the map too, but no sniper rifles or remote-triggered explosives that I can immediately recall.

ETA: I did it on easy mode, because I've already done hardmode on that map, and I just wanted my Mk2 Briefcase. Hitman2Maps.Com says there are no triggered explosives on Sg­áil, either.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 9, 2019

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i think my run was:

start on the pier with a sniper rifle in your briefcase, stash location morgue with an explosive inside

1. wait until the MC finishes his introduction, then do the thrown knockouts for the pier guards
2. move to the morgue, kill everyone inside, change into janus robes and swap briefcases.
3. make your way to the area underneath the Chapel. there's a few routes, i went via stonehenge > kitchens > catacombs? > crypt
4. go back into the catacombs and take the ark member disguise
5. head up to the area above the Gallery, find yourself a raider or elite guard to knock out
6. take your bomb out of the briefcase and then stash it again so that you have a detonator. you can leave this for a guard, or wait for sophia to open the door for you, then follow her in and do the nasty. remember: security room. that's the one on the right. it's the second room she enters in the keycard area.
7. go back to Janus room, get your briefcase with the sniper rifle, climb to the top of the area you're in. you have to be above where the Butler is - it's not the glass penthouse with the knights, it's the helipad.
8. zoe is probably waiting in the Gallery, and won't move. shoot the harpist in the red dress and zoe will move. wait for her to come outside, bang, done

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I emetic'd the elusive bastard but the timing was so Rose was in the bathroom, although I guess the target may only use the hallway trash can anyway. I thought I was hosed but in a desperation I coined the target to the toilet and he got close enough where I could drown him, which I actually had never done to a target before in this game.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I never managed to get the colorado ET outfit in new hitman 1 so its cool to finally have that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

HORMELCHILI posted:

I never managed to get the colorado ET outfit in new hitman 1 so its cool to finally have that

It's a good dumb hat.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Nakar posted:

If you want somebody to see a coin and turn toward it, set it on the ground rather than dropping it (or throwing it obviously). If you do that, the closest person will usually get it.
Thanks, I had forgotten this was an option. I got the Miami elevator challenge last night by leaving a trail of coins leading up to the edge. More fun than dragging him over.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This is an advanced maneuver, one I've not had cause to ever actually use, but with the Small Goldbar working as a lure and a melee weapon you should be able to juggle it with placing and picking back up to cause two people to turn away from each other then knock them both out with the same object you used to turn them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I love that the IT nerds can see through basically any disguise (I assume they are creeping on the whole building) but absolutely nobody can see through theirs (Because they live in a hovel and nobody ever sees or notices them), EXCEPT for Frank, who seems to see through absolutely everything himself - which makes sense if you follow him around, because he clearly spent his career there just walking around talking to everyone instead of doing security stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

I love that the IT nerds can see through basically any disguise (I assume they are creeping on the whole building) but absolutely nobody can see through theirs (Because they live in a hovel and nobody ever sees or notices them), EXCEPT for Frank, who seems to see through absolutely everything himself - which makes sense if you follow him around, because he clearly spent his career there just walking around talking to everyone instead of doing security stuff.

I'd argue that knowing every single staff member so well that you can immediately recognize when someone doesn't belong there is actually extremely good security work.

Granted he can't spot a wet floor unless there's a big sign over it so his observation skills are, let's say, selective.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
After farting around in Siberia a bit, I like it. The opportunities can mostly be figured out with some guesswork, moreso than the other two levels. I like the wedding one, and this one has almost as much going on. I've completely bounced off of Port Hantu, though.

Probably helps that I gave up caring about mastery after losing my progress from the standalone Sniper Assassin, though. Just some shooty fun after wrestling with escalations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i'm surprised sniper assassin still requires you to do all the challenges in order to get max score multiplier

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

After farting around in Siberia a bit, I like it. The opportunities can mostly be figured out with some guesswork, moreso than the other two levels. I like the wedding one, and this one has almost as much going on. I've completely bounced off of Port Hantu, though.

Probably helps that I gave up caring about mastery after losing my progress from the standalone Sniper Assassin, though. Just some shooty fun after wrestling with escalations.
I quickly realised that I'd never be good enough (or care enough) to master the sniper levels. Instead I just want to see if I can scratch off the majority of the challenges and feats.

I adore the sniper levels, I kinda hope they will eventually do something like in the phone game, where you have different targets, or extra challenges per round.

For my sake, I would happily buy an entire game of sniper challenges.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Iacen posted:

I quickly realised that I'd never be good enough (or care enough) to master the sniper levels. Instead I just want to see if I can scratch off the majority of the challenges and feats.

I adore the sniper levels, I kinda hope they will eventually do something like in the phone game, where you have different targets, or extra challenges per round.

For my sake, I would happily buy an entire game of sniper challenges.

I think the sniper maps as a mobile game would be fine, I'd happily pay for and play that. However, I'm disappointed that they count the sniper maps as "levels". Of course the scaling is ridiculous as well. The grind to 20 is absurd, and the fact that each multiplayer char and single player are separate is borderline insulting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Final Noclip episode to infuriate Discendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3bdBw99_Y

i did actually like that the writing got less, idk cynical.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i did actually like that the writing got less, idk cynical.
Yeah, it's still Tom Clancy tier horseshit but at least it has a social conscience of sorts now.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Zaffy posted:

I think the sniper maps as a mobile game would be fine, I'd happily pay for and play that. However, I'm disappointed that they count the sniper maps as "levels". Of course the scaling is ridiculous as well. The grind to 20 is absurd, and the fact that each multiplayer char and single player are separate is borderline insulting.

It would be neat if there was an alternate mode for the sniper levels where you could go in on foot and do stuff.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Elendil004 posted:

It would be neat if there was an alternate mode for the sniper levels where you could go in on foot and do stuff.
A nightmare mode, where 47 is trying to do things while an AI 47 is sniping from the normal point. Leave the level still designed to be viewed from one angle with surreal missing textures and geometry on the other side of the buildings.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, it's still Tom Clancy tier horseshit but at least it has a social conscience of sorts now.

I'm still a little mad that there's a limit of five targets on contracts, ruining my 'The Davos Initiative' plan to make everyone but a few staff members a required target in Sgail.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As someone who likes Grey and Diana and basically everything about the plot, my favorite thing is how the game has whole-heartedly embraced "your targets are evil" and "capitalism is bad" at the same time. Toss in a little Illuminati bullshit and it's fun setdressing for these great levels.

Also, ah, I didn't dig basically any of the pre-2016 Hitman plots because they were so grungy and awful. I don't want grindhouse, I don't want racism, I don't want gross action stuff, I want to be James Bond whacking Jeff Bezos on behalf of Shadow the Hedgehog, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pilchenstein posted:

i mean i would never want it to be anything else. but now it reads like decent airport fiction instead of just shooting cynical stereotypes in the brain or making them have accidents. plus at least now people in the games look like people instead of either old fat balding men. muscle bound dude who all have the same size clothes and sex dolls.

that being said blood money is still my second favorite. plus i have a massive soft spot for clancy tier stuff like the various ubisoft clancy games and poo poo like hitman. its fun.